Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worse than I feared....

Comments

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Signed up, downloaded it, played it for a bit .......

The realization soon hit me that this wasn't Diablo 3.  It was Diablo 2 and WoW mashed together into a new game trying to be something called Diablo 3.  It, for what ever reason, feels really Wow-y .....

If you want to play Diablo 3 check out "Path of Exile."  Simply put, it is the sucessor to Diable 2 ..... in my opinion of course. 

~Hairysun

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

What I find really sad is the replies here.

No one can criticize a demo as being unfun without getting ridiculed for it because what? It's Diablo? Blizzard? I'm just glad this isn't a dictatorship or some of the dissidents would be executed for it. lol

Like what you like, hate what you hate, just don't look down on anyone that's opposed to what you believe...you'd be happier in general.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by drel

To the OP-and you get this from playing a limited beta edition of the game?!

I'd wait until the retail version comes out.  As the developers have said what we're seeing this weekend in beta is only a small fraction of the game.

I've had more experience than you, or most of you whom still cling to this childish argument, with Betas & testing games.

The POINT of a "Stress Test" is to test your server hardware AND show your game off as a sort of mini-preview in order to boost revenue sales. I should know, I've Alpha & Beta tested more than 130 games now in the online market. I've even spoken, MANY TIMES, to sales reps who happen to be playing the game during stress tests about why they do stress tests. The above reasons I mentioned are what they told me (years ago, but it holds true today).

As for the "you only played a 30minute demo! How can you judge?!" comments all I can say is you need to stick around the genre for a LOT more time than you have in order to understand this point. 

I need to be clear here with you. Do you REALLY think after an 1hr, 2hrs, 3hrs, 40hrs of gameplay that the overall base mechanics of the game will change? That suddenly the Art-Style, the gameplay, the combat mechanics, the skill system, the GUI, the minimap, the overall nature of the game will suddenly change? No, no it will not. It also took them YEARS to get to where they are now for this Stress Test. They aren't going to "suddenly" add new features or make DRASTIC changes to the game prior to launch after the Stress Test ends. THIS is the game people. I've seen it time, after time, after time, after time. Not to mention the fact that I played through FIVE different playthroughs with the different classes. Barbarian twice!

I used this very same deductive techniques for RIFT, SWTOR, AION, Allods, etc etc. Each time I outlined what the game was and what it wasn't CLEARLY with roughly 90% accuracy all from Alpha & Beta testing these products. Most notably during Open Betas as well. I've been told time, after time, after time, after time in PMs on this forum that "you were right, good call..." so I don't need to justify anything to you. This reply is primarily for YOUR benefit. However, if you're still so angry about me talking bad about a game you obviously love to death then so be it. I'll respect your opinion and let you go along on your way.

The fact of the matter is that, from a Diablo Fan's point of view, Diablo 3 is a travesty and does nothing but spit in the fan's face. The amount of dumbed down childish antics that are prevalent throughout this Stress Test AND Closed Beta is absolutely insane. I'm sorry that you disagree, but it is the truth here. Again, if you enjoy the game props to you, but most of us cannot.

Lastly, there's no such thing as "Rose Tinted Glasses" when it comes to sequels to successful products. EVERYONE who enjoyed the first two are in this for nostalgia and an updated version with more fleshed out mechanics than what they've already played. Not only is Diablo 3 a COMPLETE deviation from the original two, but it's a kick in the face for many. Not to mention that it isn't completely unacceptable for some semblance of acceptable advancement to be expected for the franchise, of which there is NONE in Diablo 3.

Thank you :)

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Good write up OP.  Personally, I'm not that picky and I enjoyed the little bit I played so far.  Can't wait to sink my teeth into it when it launches.  Great side game to play when I'm MMORPG'd out.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Couldn't agree more

The game left the same bad taste in my mouth like Dungeon Siege 3 did

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by wrekognize

Something I noticed playing though Beta, is that I feel like I'm on rails. In D1, it felt more free and open to me. I'm not sure what is causing the feeling honestly. Maybe because the town map feels like I'm walking through hallways?

I had the same feeling

in D2, even at level 1, you had a much bigger map to explore

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by wrekognize

Something I noticed playing though Beta, is that I feel like I'm on rails. In D1, it felt more free and open to me. I'm not sure what is causing the feeling honestly. Maybe because the town map feels like I'm walking through hallways?

I had the same feeling

in D2, even at level 1, you had a much bigger map to explore

I'd also have to agree. If the rest of the game weren't like this past level 10, then why showcase it in a stress test? Either a horrible design choice or a horrible PR choice. One of the two is the truth. Not to mention the horrible choice to have this be the first thing you run into in a new product. 

The beginning should be expansive, exploration heavy, and not as instanced as Diablo 3 is. Seriously, in Diablo 2 they improved upon exploration mechanics by having the REST of the world being seemlessly connected with the town. You walked out of the town into the marsh and you barely had any loading screens except for side "dungeons". Everywhere else let you seemlessly walk into newer areas.

Diablo 3? You can walk "seemless" into the graveyard but everywhere else are all loading screens. Really? :/

Thought it may just be the cramped nature of "New" Tristram that causes this feeling. Albeit, the fact that it's a poor design choice doesn't go away.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

Gaming in general has changed since the first two Diablo games were released. It's geared way more towards people who don't want to have to read up on how to play or find out halfway through a game they've gimped their character with their choices and need to start over. Anyone who didn't realize D3 was going to be brought into the modern gaming era the way it has been was dreaming.

I'm not say there's no legit beefs, but it's very rare these days to see "hard" games released. Hardcore gamers are no longer the target audience folks, get used to it.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

I'm wondering if I like this game cause I never really played D2. Therefore my expectations are low :(

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Adoni

I'm wondering if I like this game cause I never really played D2. Therefore my expectations are low :(

all that matters is if you enjoy the game :)

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

I like it, it felt like an action rpg.   As for it's diffculty it just Act1(not sure if it is even all of act 1) at normal diffculty how hard do you expect it to be?

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Originally posted by Drakxii

I like it, it felt like an action rpg.   As for it's diffculty it just Act1(not sure if it is even all of act 1) at normal diffculty how hard do you expect it to be?

Die a few times or come even close?

Not just steamroll through without any issues...

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Though an old gamer, I never played D1 or D2... actually don't know why I didn't, probably I wasn't a fan of H&S mechanics at that time.

Anyhow, D3 is exactly what I was expecting... no more, no less. I think Blizzard did a very good job, the game feels and plays right for me (and it's polished enough for a beta).

Regardless the recent polls here in the forums, I'm sure the game will be a huge success. Always remember this is MMORPG, we're a minority... and in most cases a hardcore one.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Originally posted by Ekaros

Originally posted by Drakxii

Die a few times or come even close?

Not just steamroll through without any issues...

The last boss came close on one run when I didn't explore much.   There were a few times I got waved by skeletons that almost got me.   

All the really need to do to make the game harder is get rid of the god of war health orbs.   They make wave mobs way easier then they need to be.

Oh and I do agree with the tunneling paths they did was a bad choice, there are couple of areas where it opens put but over all it feels cramped, but still better then DS3.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Thought it may just be the cramped nature of "New" Tristram that causes this feeling. Albeit, the fact that it's a poor design choice doesn't go away.

I think issue is everything in enviroment is bit too large and low poly or low res.  It's higher than in 1 or 2, where everyhing was simple walls which were only about 20 cm higher than characters head.

Also I find it funny how houses are small, but everyone has a massive basement...

Other thing is how there is areas which look the same but can't be accessed....

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Diablo 3 folowing the path of wow...

Dumbing down the game enough so that a 3 year old down sindrome kid without half his brain, blind without hands can be a pro at gaming...sad but blizzard is not what it used to...

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

Originally posted by Delerious1

I played Path of Exile.

I can't bash the game because it's ok for what it is, but to put it in the same league as D3 is LAUGHABLE.

That is all.

I have to agree, its league if far beyond Diablo 3. I'm glad you noticed this. Who can compare skills-by-level to the ability to use any skill in the game? Or an automatic stat system to a skill grid with hundreds of nodes for personalization? Hell, in D3 you know that barbarian is going to be in your face rape...in PoE, that Marauder could punch you in the face, summon the dead, and call a firestorm on your head all in the same build if he chose to do it.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

Here's what I've disliked so far:

My internet here isn't the greatest so it sucks having lag spikes playing solo.

AH needs an option to only show items with Buyout set.

I'd like if town portal opened a portal on both sides.

Why have unidentified items if all you have to do is right click?

Felt like there's less loot than D2. At level 11 I really haven't found all that much. Not sure if just RNG borking me or actually less loot.

What I like so far:

Better loot from epic mobs that spawn at random.

Wading into hordes of baddies is always fun.

Overall it may be a decent game but I just don't know if it'll have the addiction factor for me.

The classes I've tried so far:

Barb - Not too bad, probably be my main.

Monk - Seems fun as well.

Witch Dr. - Can't get into it, throwing urns of spiders as a primary attack? Seems...cheesy.

Demon hunter - Just started, may be an alright class but seems to have less AE damage.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Just wanted to say that for the wizard alone there are 125 runed skills and 15 passives giving 4,690,625,500 skill combinations and 455 passive combinations. So trying to say that D3 lacks compared to D2 in build diversity is probably somewhere in the region of wrong.

• I don't think those add up to actually viable builds, though, so I don't like those kinds of number spraying. But the truth is Diablo 2 had a pretty small pool of viable builds, and Diablo 3s system has potential for many more due to the improved structure of the skill system.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Axxar

I don't think those add up to actually viable builds, though, so I don't like those kinds of number spraying. But the truth is Diablo 2 had a pretty small pool of viable builds, and Diablo 3s system has potential for many  less due to the dumbed down structure of the skill system.

Fixed that for you.

The new "skill system" they've implemented is pathetic. There's no way anyone who isn't trolling can seriously comment that the new system they have for Diablo 3 is in ANY way, shape, or form "better". Please stop trolling.

Nones trolling just because they might not agree with you.

I'd also suggest you don't go around editing what people have said just becasue they don't  fit in with your, 'It's not Diablo I with better graphics, so it's crap', argument.

But I guess you played Diablo I loads so you know better huh? Your entitled to your opinion but seriously don't post on a public forum if your not prepared for some views that don't fit in with your own.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by skeaser

Here's what I've disliked so far:

My internet here isn't the greatest so it sucks having lag spikes playing solo.

That there is the biggest issue I have with Diablo 3 and the whole always-online DRM. There is a bloody good reason why Ubisoft got flamed to hell and back over the use of it, and why they've been backing down from using it in future games. Anyone remember when their game servers got a little cyber-bullying thrown towards them? It forced all of the games that used the Always-On DRM at the time to become completely unplayable for a period of time.

And yet I'm not seeing nearly as much of that same force thrown Activision-Blizzards way, and its more than likely only because of "Hey its Blizzard, it MUST be alright if they do it!". They aren't doing it for the players benefit that's for sure. No one I knew that played Diablo 2 (a good hefty chunk of people both offline and online) were ever bothered by having single-player and multi-player characters separate. And why? Because Single Player was for when you didn't have internet access and/or just wanted to play around on your own, and multi was for when you and your friends felt like screwing around online and chat it up at the same time.

As for the other things, I have no clue why they do that now either. The Town Portals have always been a "one-way each way" item, and its stupid to change it since that was always a convenient and helpful system (funny too considering Acti-Blizz is all about the "Convenience" of players now).

And its doubly stupid to have unidentified items if it takes nothing to identify them. In fact, again it goes against that "convenience" Acti-Blizz is all about. It's definitely not an improvement over the earlier systems that's for sure.

As for the OP, grow up. You may have some good points, but you're better off sticking to making arguments and defending and addressing yours and others opinions, instead of childishly quoting and "fixing" someone's post. So once you graduate from that kindergarden behavior, try and actually post instead of blatantly trolling.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

I'd love to check out the open beta and see what it is like for myself, but every time I've tried to logon I get an error saying the servers are full.

That I think is the biggest failing of this game.  I shouldn't be stopped from playing a single player game because there are too many other people playing it.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Quote:

"Seriously, one of the major gripes I hear about Diablo 3 is that they ONLY kept the Barbarian from Diablo 2. Hardcore fans created petition after petition for MANY of the "core" classes to return from Diablo 2 to Diablo 3 only to be completely shot down by Blizzard with a firm "NO". Granted this was supposed to be a (+), but it was worth mentioning. "

They will all appear, do not worry about that. either you will get them in groups in a few "expansion" or you will be able to buy them class by class for extra money. They saved the barbarian because they needed ONE original class, otherwise there would have been an uproar. but you will see all the others showing up later as well, I promise. its about makin gmoney here, not costumer satisfaction.

Like in D2: on the homepage at first, the Assasin and the druid guy was in the lineup at first.. then removed closer to launch. I wondered where they went, then got my answer in the expansion. same here. They are allready done, all the classes. They have just removed them to make more money. They KNOW you are willing to pay for them.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by Axxar

I don't think those add up to actually viable builds, though, so I don't like those kinds of number spraying. But the truth is Diablo 2 had a pretty small pool of viable builds, and Diablo 3s system has potential for many  less due to the dumbed down structure of the skill system.

Fixed that for you.

The new "skill system" they've implemented is pathetic. There's no way anyone who isn't trolling can seriously comment that the new system they have for Diablo 3 is in ANY way, shape, or form "better". Please stop trolling.

It's much better. In D2 you had all of 2-3 skills to use because of how their skill system was. You would pump points in to max out  4 maybe 5 skills(most of which synergized with the main spell you wanted to use). All this added up to using 2-3 skills total most of the time. Seriously go look up the builds. You'll find 4-5 skills maxed to 20 and the rest are 1 points just to get to good skills. The system worked but it was anything but great.

A system where I can actually use other spells and have them be viable is sooo much better, not to mention the huge amount of flexibility it offers people in builds.

This discussion has been closed.