Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worse than I feared....

Comments

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Welcome to the world of super casual computer games for the braindead masses.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Originally posted by mindw0rk

I finished Diablo 1 two times, Diablo 2 - one time. Just played for a few hours Diablo 3 and I think it is the best Diablo game by far. Excellent all around quality, loved the graphics and lore fragments, combat is very impressive. Good job Blizzard.

Btw, Ive tried Path of Exile. Deleted it in 15 minutes. It cant hold a candle to D3

^^ Truth and good taste.... those people crying about the game are just old farts that don't adapt to change very well.  The game is fun that is what matters....

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Delerious1Delerious1 Member Posts: 72

I played Path of Exile.

I can't bash the game because it's ok for what it is, but to put it in the same league as D3 is LAUGHABLE.

That is all.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

People are actually defending this game?  This felt like and looked like a game from 10 years ago (at best).

Anyone who spends $60 on this is out of their mind.

Totally agree with OP.

I guess you really had to be into 1 and 2 to like this game... left mouse, right mouse, left mouse, right mouse...  YAY! I got some gold and killed something...  And people criticize ToR, WAR, AoC, DDO, CO and the like but defend this garbage?

*boggle*

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Originally posted by Fluxii

I guess you really had to be into 1 and 2 to like this game... left mouse, right mouse, left mouse, right mouse...  YAY! I got some gold and killed something...  

Surprised some people discover hack&slash genre just now, since its 15 years old. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by trash656

I understand why it isn't the same game anymore. The original people who worked on Diablo 1, and 2 are no longer working for blizzard anymore. The main guy who created diablo is long gone. Blizzard north no longer exsists. I think the only person that I can recall who is one of the only ones who had a part were Chris Metzen, but back when Diablo 2 was being developed he was just the head guy for the voice, and music in the game.

And yeah.... Diablo 3 sucks... it really sucks.. it sucks so bad I'de rather play pac man. The only people are going to enjoy this game are people who are ok with being handed something dubbed down and simplified. Kids who never played the old Diablo 1 and 2, WoW players who are used to playing simplified games because their game they have been playing for the last 8 years most of all the old vet wow players have left the game, hell even the developers arnt even working on it anymore

You just heard of Blizzard North? And you call yourself a "hardcore" Diablo 2 fan? Really? If you were a real fan, you would give the game a chance and not dismiss it after 30-60 min of gameplay. 

As a huge Diablo fan, there's no way I will pass on Diablo 3. The game I've been waiting for like ever?

Gamers are naive and gullable? What about you? You QQ about people who enjoy dumbed down games YET you dismiss a game after 30-60 min of gameplay? Do I need to say how ridiculous, stupid and naive that comes across?

People complaining on click, click, kill, loot are also amusing and play MMOs at the same time? MMOs are pretty much tab 1,2,3 kill, loot.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

I guess you really had to be into 1 and 2 to like this game... left mouse, right mouse, left mouse, right mouse...  YAY! I got some gold and killed something...  

Surprised some people discover hack&slash genre just now, since its 15 years old. 

...and I thought it mind DUMBINGLY boring then... and hack and slash can apply to a multitude of the genres.  I though maybe after all this time (with all the hype) they'd make a better game... but it seems there's a pretty big backlash here about how BAD it is...

But yea... it's just me... I just learned about it... if that's what you think you read *boggle*

• SilmasSilmas Member UncommonPosts: 13

Hello :)

and thank you for your good review of the current beta.

Sadly i mostly agree with your opinion.

You only forgot the Achievment System, this is a good addition.

Overall its far to easy and more casual than Diablo 2.

It feels like a Diablo clone, and will be not so successful as Diablo 1 and Diablo 2.

Overall score:  6.0 / 10.0

But yea... it's just me... I just learned about it... if that's what you think you read *boggle*

Its ok. I hate sport sims but some people love them. Same goes for Hack & Slash. You dont like it, many people do. And D3 is no doubt the best representative of this genre.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Love the Beta.

That is all.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

Hey I love the game just as I loved D2 but looking at the difficulty or content I don't find the game worthy for the price, if I finish the first act in 1h in what time I should finish the hold game 4, 5 hours?.. for the same price I got starcraft 2, but in starcraft 2 you have pvp which was removed from D3 :( and a lot of customs maps to waste ur time. I will wait and buy it later when they add new things.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

-There is no "game search" window like Diablo 2 had in BattleNet. You cannot search for "Baal Runz001!!!" etc etc. It's a "quick join" system based on where your character "roughly" is in the storyline for multiplayer gameplay, or at least that's what this Open Beta is like. However, to be clear my Closed Beta friends claim there is no deviation between what is shown here and what they've had access to. If you want to play with anyone you actually know you HAVE to use their "Friend" invite system for private games. Want to make new friends like you did in Diablo 2 via public games that had a title to peak your interest? TOUGH LUCK!

Funny thing is, I actually talk about this as a positive thing and am glad there's a quick join. It's a faster, better system in my opinion. They could add a little comment box and specific search in there for people who create games, but won't really matter to me at all.

-You can no longer choose where to put your attribute points. Blizzard "helped" us by choosing for us.  (ie: you cannot allocate attribute points where you want for a specific build type)

And I can't say I miss it at all.

-You can no longer choose from a MASSIVE skill-tree system for thousands of different "Builds" like in Diablo 2. You "unlock" skills based on level progression, and the ONLY deviation between characters of a similar class is 90% gear and 10% of what they've chosen to use on their SIX skill-slot bar.

I personally like the simplistic customization. I like only being able to have one of several abilities in each of the slots so not everyone will be using the same combat style/animations, and equipping the runes to change things up as well.

While I liked the skill trees in D2, it's nice not having ANOTHER Blizzard game with talent trees.

-Dungeons are barely random, and barely deviate from different instances. Through 4 different playthroughs, and 9 different public games, I knew ALMOST exactly where to go, and the literally "pulsating" beacon on the minimap for a quest just made everything completely pointless. What's the point in exploring anymore?! Atleast in Diablo 1 you could get lost for hours looking for a specific door or item. Diablo 3? NOPE

I agree here. I thought the dungeons would be randomized every time you go through, but it turns out it's just the chest/breakables locations for the most part.

Although that "pulsating beacon" wasn't as in my face as it was yours apparently. I got lost for a good bit in Cathedral level 4 amd was running around in circles trying to find the place to go and killed everything and looked everywhere until I finally found the way, and it wasn't until I realized and got closer to the way out that the beacon went off. It's not there all the time and certainly didn't stop me from exploring the area.

-The minimap is too small a LOT of times, and when you want the map "blown up" via the TAB key it becomes an "interactable" interface. Meaning you can't click-to-move in a new direction with the map up. You can only click-to-move then hit TAB and keep moving while holding down the button. Not available in combat obviously as you need to move around a lot. (ie: The map is no longer just a "transparent" overlay, you can drag it with your mouse which is simply a poor design choice).

I didn't notice the minimap being too small, but I did find it annoying with the not being able to move while the map is up as you said. I guess it's like that 'cause you can click and drag the map, but still, I think it'd be better if a bit more transparent and you clicked through it instead.

-As meantioned before, Pulsating Quest Markers. Need I say more? (I couldn't find a way to disable these, however someone may know, but that defeats the purpose either way?)

As I said above, they weren't there all the time pointing out every little thing. They only ever went off when I was very close to a door or whatever to a new area, or a quest target or something. As far as I noticed anyway, it was gone the rest of the time and didn't show me exactly where to go at all times like you make it sound.

-The game is so ungodly easy it's rather sad. In my 4 different playthroughs from 1-10 I NEVER died once. I even NEVER had to pop an hp-pot. At LEAST in Diablo 2 even in the "normal" difficulty you died a couple times unless you were an uber-elitist who knew 100% what they were doing. HP pots were mandatory, and you never cryed foul even if you got one of those crappy ones. An HP pot generally meant life or death most of the time! Diablo 3? NOPE!

I actually thought it was surprisingly difficult for the VERY START OF THE GAME ON NORMAL MODE. I had to pop a few potions, run around and avoid enemies while waiting for the potion cooldown. Doesn't seem much less hard than D2's starting areas. Although D2 did have more surprised that killed ya quick if not paying attention, like the lightning guys that shot the lightning off as you attacked and just messed you up. :p

I love not having to carry around half a bag worth of pots just to stay alive, too. The usage cooldown and healing orbs work well to me.

-Mana regenerates too quickly, and the horribly LONG cooldown timers on skills make the "Mana Pool" almost worthless. What's the point of a ManaPool to begin with if it generates within seconds in time for my spell to be done from its cooldown? The ONLY way I found to deplete my ManaPool was with "Hold" abilities that allowed me to physically drain it to 0, only to have it go back to 100% within SECONDS. What happened to Mana Potions & a slow regen?!?! Was that too "slow" for Blizzard's "New" combat tastes?

Having things be slower and more invonvenient is pretty much against everyone's 'combat tastes' nowadays. Can't keep living in the past forever. The mana is there to make it so you can't just use spells non-stop before having to switch back to your other attacks to take a breather - it's not there to be like WoW, using spells until your mana is drained, then using a mana pot or drinking.

-Itemization is a laughable joke now. You no longer have to LEARN how the game works, or how certain combat techniques worked better with different weapons/abilities. You LITERALLY just look @ a giant "Dps" number or "Armor" number that has everything totaled up for you and you equip the larger number. A crying shame from even Diablo 1's system, let alone Diablo 2.

You have a DPS, as well as having other stuff on magical items. There's still stuff like added elemental damage, added change to find magical items or gold, added attributes, etc. So this isn't exactly accurate. There was several times I took something with lower armor because it gave me something else like more gold or something.

-The game simply isn't "Dark" enough. Diablo 1? Forget about it! In Diablo 1 you actually worried about what was in that REALLY dark room with the barred doors! Could there be archers in there with flaming arrows? Oh crap, I'm low on HP pots, better go back to town and stock up! Diablo 3? WHO CARES! Just burst right into the WELL LIT "dungeon" type room with night vision goggles and mow everything down with your mini-gun in time for martinis :D! Seriously, what happened here?!

You know there's an option for this to make it darker right? Just like in pretty much every game out there.

-Uninspired classes lead to dull gameplay. "WitchDoctor", "Wizard", "DemonHunter (WoW-ref much?)", and "Monk" just quite simply do NOT belong in Diablo 3. I feel like different universes have been smashed together to form Diablo 3, and it's not a good thing. The "old" classes fit MUCH more than these new additions, and Blizzard has only hurt the Diablo franchise even more because of this decision. They SHOULD have "Branched" the old classes out more and fleshed them out to something more unique & sustainable. Instead, they decided to go BACKWARDS to a time where environment means nothing for class types.

-Finally, the "Art Style" completely detracts from the immersion within the Diablo universe. Quite frankly, it fits for a top-down version of Warcraft. I can't even begin to explain this one. I put it at the bottom of the list because Diablo 1 & 2 had a relatively straight forward progression in its ArtStyle from super-gritty to reasonably demonic & gruesome. With Diablo 3 it's gone from Demonic & Gruesome (Diablo2) straight to Massive-Shoulderpads, horribly low polygon counts, and sub-par 6th grader crayon drawn playdoe looking models that I've seen better done in a Capstone Art-Class. Seriously, I keep asking this question, but WHAT HAPPENED?!

I like most of the classes (not a big fan of witch doctor, but meh), and I really like the art style, and honestly, you should've just left your post at these two, because if you don't like either of these, then it's obvious why you don't care for the rest of the game much.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

The genre and the term are both more than 15 years old

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

...and I thought it mind DUMBINGLY boring then...

Then you should probably leave the Diablo 3 forums since you're obviously not the target audience.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Hmmm if i want a true Hack-n-Slash RPG i am gonna go with what has been suggested and play Path of Exile or Torchlight 2. 

It has come to a point where i detest Activision and Electronic Arts so much that even though its a Blizzard game or a Bioware game i just cannot support the publishers of those developers anymore.

I feel that the gigantor clearing house Publisher will become a thing of the past. With the advent of crowd source funding and extensive digital distribution, EA and Activision have dug themselves into a deep pit of PR disasters that no amount of money will help them out.

Sad to see yet another classic sequel/expansion ruined by mismanagement and nearsighted development. (ie..SWTOR, SC2, ME3, MOP)

Lolipops !

Originally posted by Voiidiin

Sad to see yet another classic sequel/expansion ruined by mismanagement and nearsighted development. (ie..SWTOR, SC2, ME3, MOP)

SC2, ME3, MOP and Diablo 3 are all amazing games. Only SWToR not so much

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

To the OP-and you get this from playing a limited beta edition of the game?!

I'd wait until the retail version comes out.  As the developers have said what we're seeing this weekend in beta is only a small fraction of the game.

• SilmasSilmas Member UncommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by drel

To the OP-and you get this from playing a limited beta edition of the game?!

I'd wait until the retail version comes out.  As the developers have said what we're seeing this weekend in beta is only a small fraction of the game.

Sure but the core skill system is to simple.

i have cancelled Diablo 3 preorder

and bought the Kiwi Pack for

Path of Exile

• darkbalthdarkbalth Member UncommonPosts: 53

Open Beta has not even been out for 24 hours and alot of time servers have been down.  I am willing to bet 3/4 of the people complaining didnt even play the beta.  I have played since diablo 1 and I find diablo 3.  Of course the game changed some why wouldnt it.  Why remake diablo 1 or 2 if i want to play them i will play them not a remade version.  Even for those that did play the beta it is lvl 1-13! enough said on that.  Stop trolling on all the forumns you find because you do not like blizzard.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Something I noticed playing though Beta, is that I feel like I'm on rails. In D1, it felt more free and open to me. I'm not sure what is causing the feeling honestly. Maybe because the town map feels like I'm walking through hallways?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Doesn't seem to be a lot of logic here, if someone dislikes D3 from playing the beta, they are not giving the game a chance, but then the common advice is to just go ahead and buy it on faith that it will be good, when you get to play it more...

If playing something for 30 mins, or 3 hours sucks to someone, chances are it will still suck if they buy it...But they will feel stupid for buying something they didn't like to begin with.

Some of the people had valid points, that will not change with playing time, like the dumbed down systems...I think they should of had it to where it would do a prefered path, and then made it to where someone could turn the 'auto' off, and do as they wish...This seems to just be in line with what game companies do anymore though, and I do not mean that in a good way.  I guess it is good for some, and those that like more depth, it sucks for them.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I'm suprised so many are displeased with the game. Not that I'm in love with it but for awhile we had nothing but praise for D3 and now since they finally got to play it people are singing a different tune. Interesting....

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by adam_nox

Why report on stuff we've known forever, like the art style, darkness, etc, even the skill system has been known for a while, that it wasn't going to be skilltree based?

Those horses have been beat to death, bliz isn't changing any of it clearly.  So move onto other things.

Becuase not everyone knows what you know about tthis game?  I learned it here from this thread as will others.

Maybe theres a thread for those that know everything there is to no about D3 that you can participate in.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

Originally posted by darkbalth

Open Beta has not even been out for 24 hours and alot of time servers have been down.  I am willing to bet 3/4 of the people complaining didnt even play the beta.  I have played since diablo 1 and I find diablo 3.  Of course the game changed some why wouldnt it.  Why remake diablo 1 or 2 if i want to play them i will play them not a remade version.  Even for those that did play the beta it is lvl 1-13! enough said on that.  Stop trolling on all the forumns you find because you do not like blizzard.

Dude.

I played the game.

I waited for the damn thing for 10 years. Now i finally got into beta. I was bored after 5 hours.

Just for comparison, i am playing Path of Exile (beta) that is also diablo clone. And the game is 1000% more addicting

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Something I can't quite nail down feels wrong with this game, maybe it's graphics, maybe controls. It's somewhat addictive, but it feels like it's need something more.

And one thing I specialy hate is level-restrictions on everything. So I need certain level to wear helmet? Realy, realy?

This discussion has been closed.