Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worse than I feared....

Comments

• drakolasdrakolas Member UncommonPosts: 45

I don't fully agree with everything you've said, but the one thing I for sure do is that the game isn't dark enough. D1 and D2 actually had me frightened while playing and ever since I saw the first screenshots of D3 I've been saying it just doesn't seem to be quite dark enough. I've been hoping it would get changed, but it doesn't seem like it. Almost everyone I've talked to seems to agree with it not being dark enough and I'm a bit surprised Blizzard didn't feel the same way.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

First things first. I played Diablo 1 & 2 both day of releases, and loved BOTH of them. Literally played for HOURS on "Mplayer" when it was around for Diablo 1 if anyone remembers, and I was apart of several Clans in Diablo 2 for years. Ended up with 6 level 99s before quitting multiple times only to return to come near that very same count of lvl 99s in Diablo 2.

So let's be clear about one thing, I'm a hardcore Diablo fan & I had high, albeit uncontrolled Fanboy, expectations for Diablo 3. Despite all of the horrible videos, dev interviews, and the new Artstyle they went with I decided to still try this weekend's "Open Beta" so I could conclude 100% whether I liked the game or not. Let's also be clear, this is OPEN BETA, meaning that what you see here is a lvl 1-10 perspective of what launch will be like. There won't be any AMAZING turn of events in terms of skills, equipment, or classes before launch (most likely anyways). So crying that I'm talking negatively about Diablo III because it's "Beta" is a false argument, and generally only strengthens my standpoint.

Let's get to it shall we?

=The Bad=

-There is no "game search" window like Diablo 2 had in BattleNet. You cannot search for "Baal Runz001!!!" etc etc. It's a "quick join" system based on where your character "roughly" is in the storyline for multiplayer gameplay, or at least that's what this Open Beta is like. However, to be clear my Closed Beta friends claim there is no deviation between what is shown here and what they've had access to. If you want to play with anyone you actually know you HAVE to use their "Friend" invite system for private games. Want to make new friends like you did in Diablo 2 via public games that had a title to peak your interest? TOUGH LUCK!

-You can no longer choose where to put your attribute points. Blizzard "helped" us by choosing for us.  (ie: you cannot allocate attribute points where you want for a specific build type)

-You can no longer choose from a MASSIVE skill-tree system for thousands of different "Builds" like in Diablo 2. You "unlock" skills based on level progression, and the ONLY deviation between characters of a similar class is 90% gear and 10% of what they've chosen to use on their SIX skill-slot bar.

-Dungeons are barely random, and barely deviate from different instances. Through 4 different playthroughs, and 9 different public games, I knew ALMOST exactly where to go, and the literally "pulsating" beacon on the minimap for a quest just made everything completely pointless. What's the point in exploring anymore?! Atleast in Diablo 1 you could get lost for hours looking for a specific door or item. Diablo 3? NOPE

-The minimap is too small a LOT of times, and when you want the map "blown up" via the TAB key it becomes an "interactable" interface. Meaning you can't click-to-move in a new direction with the map up. You can only click-to-move then hit TAB and keep moving while holding down the button. Not available in combat obviously as you need to move around a lot. (ie: The map is no longer just a "transparent" overlay, you can drag it with your mouse which is simply a poor design choice).

-As meantioned before, Pulsating Quest Markers. Need I say more? (I couldn't find a way to disable these, however someone may know, but that defeats the purpose either way?)

-The game is so ungodly easy it's rather sad. In my 4 different playthroughs from 1-10 I NEVER died once. I even NEVER had to pop an hp-pot. At LEAST in Diablo 2 even in the "normal" difficulty you died a couple times unless you were an uber-elitist who knew 100% what they were doing. HP pots were mandatory, and you never cryed foul even if you got one of those crappy ones. An HP pot generally meant life or death most of the time! Diablo 3? NOPE!

-Mana regenerates too quickly, and the horribly LONG cooldown timers on skills make the "Mana Pool" almost worthless. What's the point of a ManaPool to begin with if it generates within seconds in time for my spell to be done from its cooldown? The ONLY way I found to deplete my ManaPool was with "Hold" abilities that allowed me to physically drain it to 0, only to have it go back to 100% within SECONDS. What happened to Mana Potions & a slow regen?!?! Was that too "slow" for Blizzard's "New" combat tastes?

-Itemization is a laughable joke now. You no longer have to LEARN how the game works, or how certain combat techniques worked better with different weapons/abilities. You LITERALLY just look @ a giant "Dps" number or "Armor" number that has everything totaled up for you and you equip the larger number. A crying shame from even Diablo 1's system, let alone Diablo 2.

-The game simply isn't "Dark" enough. Diablo 1? Forget about it! In Diablo 1 you actually worried about what was in that REALLY dark room with the barred doors! Could there be archers in there with flaming arrows? Oh crap, I'm low on HP pots, better go back to town and stock up! Diablo 3? WHO CARES! Just burst right into the WELL LIT "dungeon" type room with night vision goggles and mow everything down with your mini-gun in time for martinis :D! Seriously, what happened here?!

-Uninspired classes lead to dull gameplay. "WitchDoctor", "Wizard", "DemonHunter (WoW-ref much?)", and "Monk" just quite simply do NOT belong in Diablo 3. I feel like different universes have been smashed together to form Diablo 3, and it's not a good thing. The "old" classes fit MUCH more than these new additions, and Blizzard has only hurt the Diablo franchise even more because of this decision. They SHOULD have "Branched" the old classes out more and fleshed them out to something more unique & sustainable. Instead, they decided to go BACKWARDS to a time where environment means nothing for class types.

-Finally, the "Art Style" completely detracts from the immersion within the Diablo universe. Quite frankly, it fits for a top-down version of Warcraft. I can't even begin to explain this one. I put it at the bottom of the list because Diablo 1 & 2 had a relatively straight forward progression in its ArtStyle from super-gritty to reasonably demonic & gruesome. With Diablo 3 it's gone from Demonic & Gruesome (Diablo2) straight to Massive-Shoulderpads, horribly low polygon counts, and sub-par 6th grader crayon drawn playdoe looking models that I've seen better done in a Capstone Art-Class. Seriously, I keep asking this question, but WHAT HAPPENED?!

=The Good= (spoiler, there's not much :< )

+The Audio in Diablo 3 are faithful recreations that harken back to Diablo 1. It's been quite awhile since I heard that old "bow draw" that skeleton archers & the Archer Class from Diablo 1 used to sound like. All of the drops for items, equipment, gold, quests, etc also harken back to Diablo 1 rather than 2. Something I felt was appropriate.

+Constant Lore "pick-me-ups" that, again, Harken back to Diablo 1 in the beginning of the game to catch "new" people to the Diablo franchise up with what happened in Diablo 1 (since it was all the way back in 1998!). I suddenly feel REALLY old....

+Lore connection between what happened to many of the characters you met from Diablo 1. Such as that crazy witch who'd constantly sell you wierd potions that restored mana as she lived out of a weird shack :P! 

+Old enemies return from Diablo 1 in Act-1 that give you a MASSIVe nostalgia trip. I'm literally reinstalling Diablo 1 on a Virtualized Windows98 right now on my win7 machine JUST so I can play Diablo 1 again :D!

+Barbarian returns as a strong front runner class. Albeit EXTREMELY linear and "tough" to play in the beginning first 10 levels. I'm told the class "branches" out into a full on face-smasher like in Diablo 2. However, MANY of the other classes quite simply don't live up to the Barbarian in terms of "fun" or "Fit" within the realm of Diablo. Seriously, one of the major gripes I hear about Diablo 3 is that they ONLY kept the Barbarian from Diablo 2. Hardcore fans created petition after petition for MANY of the "core" classes to return from Diablo 2 to Diablo 3 only to be completely shot down by Blizzard with a firm "NO". Granted this was supposed to be a (+), but it was worth mentioning. 

Personal Score: 5.2/10

Take from this what you will. Many will still buy it because there's either nothing decent to play at the moment, or because they'll buy anything Blizzard releases regardless of quality or consistancy.

Sincerely,

Faded

Gee... I thought it was a stress test, you know, like they said...

And for the last sentence...sigh... What about the people that are going to buy it because they enjoy it?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• kalsigurkalsigur Member Posts: 27

I would agree with most people that it's just lackluster. It suffers a lot of the same problems Dungeon Siege 3 had. Looks like its time for everyone to go pick up Hellgate.

On a side note, to the people who think that the beta is not enough to really form an opinion ; I say WTF. Really?

The 10~ levels we played are EXACTLY like what the rest of the game will be like, just more of it. The skill system won't get better. The dry empty feeling wont be filled with more monsters. 

Customization is a joke, at the very minimum give me face/hair/tattoo choices!  But hey, at least its an improvement on the previous games; at least you can choose your sex lol. <--- that's meant to be sarcastic, it's not a condoning statement. 

Without falling too much into rant mode, I feel really bad. My friend and I both downloaded the beta, but he didn't have a chance to play it. He went ahead and pre-ordered it anyway and now he's kicking himself - hard. 

Is it just me, or are my expectations too high?

EDIT: Oh, and the graphics are not nearly as awesome as their system demands might have you believe.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

After playing the beta today I came away not that impressed. The gameplay experience was fun enough in the Diablo/hack and slash theme but it just doesn't feel like a game I want to spend $60 on. It did bring back that Diablo feeling for me. One thing I wish they had not kept from the previous games is the point and click movement.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by adam_nox

Why report on stuff we've known forever, like the art style, darkness, etc, even the skill system has been known for a while, that it wasn't going to be skilltree based?

Those horses have been beat to death, bliz isn't changing any of it clearly.  So move onto other things.

Because it's a review, not a wishlist?

Blizzard made their design choices, whether or not the fans wanted them. Now the game is about to launch, and they're allowing us to play it. Why is it no longer acceptable to review games nowadays? It's almost comical how many times I see arguments like 'wait until the full game to judge', which basically amounts to a mindset of 'buy the game first, then decide if it's good'. No wonder so many people complain about getting duped, or cheated with newer video games. Too many people give these games a free pass, especially if they have a well established IP.

Personally, I find his critique to be rather spot on. Plus the game is open to everyone atm. So it's not like you all can't just go see for yourself. But, I too was a huge diablo fan. I'm skipping this one; there's just too many other games that do it better.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Nobadeeftw

Originally posted by doragon86

Indeed it wasn't the only one in the series. However, a large chunk of the diablo fanbase came into it from D2. The first Diablo was difficult from level 1. You can say that the diablo series got easier as it grew. 

Ok. Diablo 3 is straying in what ways? Of course it won't be the same. Things will always change. As time goes on, development views and ideas can change. I agree with some of the points you all are bringing up. However, I feel that some of you are wearing nostalgia glasses, and refuse to take them off. 

I've played both D1 & D2, and I have very few complaints with D3. 

I totally agree with you on that.  I keep seeing the same dumbass complaints about Diablo 3 beta.

I dunno, the point of making sequels is nostalgia.

I mean they made starcraft 2 really close to the original so why not this game?

If Blizzard weren't going for nostalgia they could have easily named the game something else, and no-one would complaining (or at least almost noone).

Yea, some nostalgia is understandable in a sequel. However, the feeling I'm getting from many of the posts proclaiming their dislike of the game is that they just want D2 again. It's like seeing movie's sequel, and complaining that it's not exactly like the first. To a degree, it's not really supposed to be exactly like the first.

Starcraft 2.... well you got me there. However I think that has to do with how rigid RTS games are when it comes to development. You don't have much room to diverge. 

Hah, if Blizzard had named it something else, folks would still complain. I daresay almost to the degree currently seen.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• Delerious1Delerious1 Member Posts: 72

Imo you are wearing some seriously rose tinted glasses amigo.

We get to play 1/3rd of act 1, on normal.

Of course it is easy.

I'm willing to bet D3 is gonna be superior to D2 in pretty much every way possible.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

An interesting write-up, but I am going to still wait n see. I can cope with changes so it is good to know what has changed. However, I think people grumble just a bit too much about games anymore.

I am interested in how they changed skills/runes. I think there could be a lot to play with there as far as making builds (and to me, other than exploration of random dungeons that was the main enjoyment for D2). In my view, 10 levels won't be enough to grasp the system fully for how each class will work out. If Blizzard has done a good job of development, this should branch out as you level and then taper as you become more specialized. If it is as truly linear as you fear it might be, then yeah, there isn't going to be much longetivity to the game.

The not-dark-enough comment is interesting. I can agree with lack of darkness in a dungeon crawler being a problem. It is my main complaint about TL1, a game I love otherwise. Even though a lot of people got maphack that eliminated darkness completely in D2, I think it is a good thing to have.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Path of Exile..... that is all.

• anthonypenaanthonypena Member Posts: 131

Originally posted by Nailzzz

YOU ARE A WISE MAN +10000

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

I wonder if this Open Beta will hurt Diablo 3 sales. I for one, had the highest of hopes for Diablo 3, yet after today... I'm not so sure.

I won't rehash all the spot-on things the OP said, but I will say "I expected... more."   For such a large following for such a massive franchise, I think Blizzard did a great disservice.  It makes me sad really.   I get into the game, immediately turned off by the graphics.  I don't necessarily mean the 'art-style', but the actual overall quality look of the game is not something I'd expect from a 2012 release on a massively high end system.     (played all High @ 2560x1600 for reference.)

I guess I can say it ran well at least.  But even the 'polish' Blizzard puts so much stock into really isn't there.  The menus, the overall everything of the interface just looks dated.  

The classes don't seem to 'fit' and lack a lot of imagination.   The world seems to be schizophrenic as well.  Going from oddly dark exteriors..  to neon lighted interiors?!?!  

I knew there was trouble when I got kicked off the servers eairlier around lvl 6 on a Wizard and had very little desire to log back in and continue playing.   (I did finally make it through to 'the end')

The only real saving grace the game has right now is no subscription and co-op play.  I can see killing a little time here and there with a long distance friend in game, but I don't see much long term appeal.  Especially with the massive lack of randomization in the maps.

This is all personal opinion by the way.   This could be 'the second coming of video games' for some of you, and for that, I'm happy for you.  But for me, I'm just an old gamer looking for something, and this isn't at all what I had hoped it would be.

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

QFT.

It's sad that PoE is coming out so close to D3...it's going to get stomped, and it's far superior to D3. FFX-style passive grid, and a FFVII materia system? So tasty. It's worth dropping $10 to get into the closed beta.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

I just have to say: 'ITS FUCKING EASY'

At least on D2 i had to run a bit the first time against Andariel... but this skeleton king, doesn't hurt enough to make any1 run....

• NormireXNormireX Member Posts: 12

Just got through playing about an hour or so of the D3 beta and I have to say Blizzard has done all the Diablo fans a huge dis-service with the game.

As the OP has stated everything is dumbed down. Gone are the skill trees and pretty much any chance at advanced character customization via skills etc...

As a Diablo fan myself, playing the beta made me very sad.

Also the graphics are not the greatest either. They look like WoW or Dungeon Runners style, which to me just does not fit Diablo.

I have to say that comparing D3 to Path of Exile, Path of Exile is a far superior game and has better graphics, interesting skill mechanics, massive passive skill sphere grid ala FF10, and the customization options let you bend and stretch each class type to fill multiple roles if you choose to play that way.  And PoE has gear modding in all forms to further the customization.

All that were hoping for a more Diablo experience than D3 can provide may want to check out Path of Exile. And later in the year Grim Dawn.

PoE, Grim Dawn, and Torchlight 2 are all better than D3 from what I can tell and from what I've played and this is kind of sad as Diablo is the grand-daddy of Lootfest Action RPG's.

D3 is good, but not nearly as good as it should be. I'll still be picking it up, but if Blizzard makes a D4 I will not be expecting much.

sad.........so sad.......

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by Honner

At least on D2 i had to run a bit the first time against Andariel... but this skeleton king, doesn't hurt enough to make any1 run....

..tired of repeating this. 1/3rd of act 1, skeleton boss is not the final boss. Also never ran from Andariel.. just died after she was dead.

haha I hate her DoTs. I know is the first act and all that stuff but that dosen't change the fact it is easy. D2 act 1 was harder, at least I died a few times before andariel. I remember those elite skeleton archers were a pain on the as...

I just give them a 10+ for the rune system its amazing.

• NormireXNormireX Member Posts: 12

Totally agree. As I stated in my last post.

PoE is just so good and more Diablo than Diablo 3 is sadly. Well PoE is more like Diablo mashed up with Titan Quest with great graphics and a ton of freedom and character customization.

Glad there are others out there that can see the light!

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

First things first. I played Diablo 1 & 2 both day of releases, and loved BOTH of them. Literally played for HOURS on "Mplayer" when it was around for Diablo 1 if anyone remembers, and I was apart of several Clans in Diablo 2 for years. Ended up with 6 level 99s before quitting multiple times only to return to come near that very same count of lvl 99s in Diablo 2.

So let's be clear about one thing, I'm a hardcore Diablo fan & I had high, albeit uncontrolled Fanboy, expectations for Diablo 3. Despite all of the horrible videos, dev interviews, and the new Artstyle they went with I decided to still try this weekend's "Open Beta" so I could conclude 100% whether I liked the game or not. Let's also be clear, this is OPEN BETA, meaning that what you see here is a lvl 1-10 perspective of what launch will be like. There won't be any AMAZING turn of events in terms of skills, equipment, or classes before launch (most likely anyways). So crying that I'm talking negatively about Diablo III because it's "Beta" is a false argument, and generally only strengthens my standpoint.

Let's get to it shall we?

=The Bad=

-There is no "game search" window like Diablo 2 had in BattleNet. You cannot search for "Baal Runz001!!!" etc etc. It's a "quick join" system based on where your character "roughly" is in the storyline for multiplayer gameplay, or at least that's what this Open Beta is like. However, to be clear my Closed Beta friends claim there is no deviation between what is shown here and what they've had access to. If you want to play with anyone you actually know you HAVE to use their "Friend" invite system for private games. Want to make new friends like you did in Diablo 2 via public games that had a title to peak your interest? TOUGH LUCK!

I don't care that much about this. I can see how having that option won't hurt but you can easily play with your friends and when you want to play a random game what doesn't it matter if you pick a random gam baaaalz1010 or the game picks it for you?

-You can no longer choose where to put your attribute points. Blizzard "helped" us by choosing for us.  (ie: you cannot allocate attribute points where you want for a specific build type)

Not a huge bummer. Diablo 2 was a NO BRAINER. There was always one best way of doing it for your build. Majority of builds relied on as much vitality as possible. Although this does take away your choice. I will miss leveling a sorceress with 30 points in vitality because I wanted everything in energy for ES later on.

-You can no longer choose from a MASSIVE skill-tree system for thousands of different "Builds" like in Diablo 2. You "unlock" skills based on level progression, and the ONLY deviation between characters of a similar class is 90% gear and 10% of what they've chosen to use on their SIX skill-slot bar.

I don't like that too but I haven't seen the whole thing and how it works later in the game.

-Dungeons are barely random, and barely deviate from different instances. Through 4 different playthroughs, and 9 different public games, I knew ALMOST exactly where to go, and the literally "pulsating" beacon on the minimap for a quest just made everything completely pointless. What's the point in exploring anymore?! Atleast in Diablo 1 you could get lost for hours looking for a specific door or item. Diablo 3? NOPE

I agree.

-The minimap is too small a LOT of times, and when you want the map "blown up" via the TAB key it becomes an "interactable" interface. Meaning you can't click-to-move in a new direction with the map up. You can only click-to-move then hit TAB and keep moving while holding down the button. Not available in combat obviously as you need to move around a lot. (ie: The map is no longer just a "transparent" overlay, you can drag it with your mouse which is simply a poor design choice).

DIfferent approach. Having the map up all the time breaks immersion :D

-As meantioned before, Pulsating Quest Markers. Need I say more? (I couldn't find a way to disable these, however someone may know, but that defeats the purpose either way?)

YOu mention the same thing twice because?

-The game is so ungodly easy it's rather sad. In my 4 different playthroughs from 1-10 I NEVER died once. I even NEVER had to pop an hp-pot. At LEAST in Diablo 2 even in the "normal" difficulty you died a couple times unless you were an uber-elitist who knew 100% what they were doing. HP pots were mandatory, and you never cryed foul even if you got one of those crappy ones. An HP pot generally meant life or death most of the time! Diablo 3? NOPE!

What are you talking about??? You played from level 1-10 and it's easy? WOW!!! You died in Diablo 2 before level 10? Really?

-Mana regenerates too quickly, and the horribly LONG cooldown timers on skills make the "Mana Pool" almost worthless. What's the point of a ManaPool to begin with if it generates within seconds in time for my spell to be done from its cooldown? The ONLY way I found to deplete my ManaPool was with "Hold" abilities that allowed me to physically drain it to 0, only to have it go back to 100% within SECONDS. What happened to Mana Potions & a slow regen?!?! Was that too "slow" for Blizzard's "New" combat tastes?

Then again you played only level 1-10 so you can't say much about mana regeneration.

-Itemization is a laughable joke now. You no longer have to LEARN how the game works, or how certain combat techniques worked better with different weapons/abilities. You LITERALLY just look @ a giant "Dps" number or "Armor" number that has everything totaled up for you and you equip the larger number. A crying shame from even Diablo 1's system, let alone Diablo 2.

So not having to take out a calculator is a bad thing?

-The game simply isn't "Dark" enough. Diablo 1? Forget about it! In Diablo 1 you actually worried about what was in that REALLY dark room with the barred doors! Could there be archers in there with flaming arrows? Oh crap, I'm low on HP pots, better go back to town and stock up! Diablo 3? WHO CARES! Just burst right into the WELL LIT "dungeon" type room with night vision goggles and mow everything down with your mini-gun in time for martinis :D! Seriously, what happened here?!

Diablo 2 wasn't dark too? Also there is a way to make Diablo 3 much darker. But I won't tell you about it cause you clearly don't want to play the game.

-Uninspired classes lead to dull gameplay. "WitchDoctor", "Wizard", "DemonHunter (WoW-ref much?)", and "Monk" just quite simply do NOT belong in Diablo 3. I feel like different universes have been smashed together to form Diablo 3, and it's not a good thing. The "old" classes fit MUCH more than these new additions, and Blizzard has only hurt the Diablo franchise even more because of this decision. They SHOULD have "Branched" the old classes out more and fleshed them out to something more unique & sustainable. Instead, they decided to go BACKWARDS to a time where environment means nothing for class types.

Wizard vs Sorceress? I seriously won't comment on this?

Monk? There was a monk class in Diablo 1? What's wrong with witch doctor? It looks amazing. Dunno about demonhunter though.

-Finally, the "Art Style" completely detracts from the immersion within the Diablo universe. Quite frankly, it fits for a top-down version of Warcraft. I can't even begin to explain this one. I put it at the bottom of the list because Diablo 1 & 2 had a relatively straight forward progression in its ArtStyle from super-gritty to reasonably demonic & gruesome. With Diablo 3 it's gone from Demonic & Gruesome (Diablo2) straight to Massive-Shoulderpads, horribly low polygon counts, and sub-par 6th grader crayon drawn playdoe looking models that I've seen better done in a Capstone Art-Class. Seriously, I keep asking this question, but WHAT HAPPENED?!

=The Good= (spoiler, there's not much :< )

+The Audio in Diablo 3 are faithful recreations that harken back to Diablo 1. It's been quite awhile since I heard that old "bow draw" that skeleton archers & the Archer Class from Diablo 1 used to sound like. All of the drops for items, equipment, gold, quests, etc also harken back to Diablo 1 rather than 2. Something I felt was appropriate.

+Constant Lore "pick-me-ups" that, again, Harken back to Diablo 1 in the beginning of the game to catch "new" people to the Diablo franchise up with what happened in Diablo 1 (since it was all the way back in 1998!). I suddenly feel REALLY old....

+Lore connection between what happened to many of the characters you met from Diablo 1. Such as that crazy witch who'd constantly sell you wierd potions that restored mana as she lived out of a weird shack :P! 

+Old enemies return from Diablo 1 in Act-1 that give you a MASSIVe nostalgia trip. I'm literally reinstalling Diablo 1 on a Virtualized Windows98 right now on my win7 machine JUST so I can play Diablo 1 again :D!

+Barbarian returns as a strong front runner class. Albeit EXTREMELY linear and "tough" to play in the beginning first 10 levels. I'm told the class "branches" out into a full on face-smasher like in Diablo 2. However, MANY of the other classes quite simply don't live up to the Barbarian in terms of "fun" or "Fit" within the realm of Diablo. Seriously, one of the major gripes I hear about Diablo 3 is that they ONLY kept the Barbarian from Diablo 2. Hardcore fans created petition after petition for MANY of the "core" classes to return from Diablo 2 to Diablo 3 only to be completely shot down by Blizzard with a firm "NO". Granted this was supposed to be a (+), but it was worth mentioning. 

Personal Score: 5.2/10

Take from this what you will. Many will still buy it because there's either nothing decent to play at the moment, or because they'll buy anything Blizzard releases regardless of quality or consistancy.

Sincerely,

Faded

The fact that you start with the bad points first and that you twist your good points into bad points says a lot.

@all the it's so ez mode crybabies, I can give you this only if you played after level 10 but you haven't. If you died during the first half or even the whole act 1 in Diablo 2 you must have been very incompetent.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

..tired of repeating this. 1/3rd of act 1, skeleton boss is not the final boss. Also never ran from Andariel.. just died after she was dead.

haha I hate her DoTs. I know is the first act and all that stuff but that dosen't change the fact it is easy. D2 act 1 was harder, at least I died a few times before andariel. I remember those elite skeleton archers were a pain on the as...

The only time i died on D2 Act 1 in any difficulty was from rakakishi or whatever his name is and on a rare occurance Andy.

Well man no everyone is a pro :D

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

Claiming that Diablo 3 is easy based on a 30 minute beta in the easiest portion of the game, on the easiest difficulty is hardly fair. Not saying it will be incredibly hard, but I would not jump to conclusions. Anyways regardless this game will have record sales even though most of the people on these forums are anti-diablo 3 and pro-torchlight 2. 

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

Good read. I agree with several of your statements, though i think giving it 5,2 out of 10 is a little to harsh. This is a good game, though it doesn't feel very Diablo'ish.

I kinda knew this before i got into the beta. We have to remember, that the ppl who made Diablo 1 + 2 aren't the ppl making the 3rd. It's a different team, so ofc the game won't have the same spirit as Diablo 1+2. Because of this, my expectations for the game wasn't very high.

I agree 100%, that the game is just way to easy.. I haven't used any pots at all. There haven't been one moment, were i was close to die. That's kinda sad tbh.

I don't understand how a game with such poor graphic can be released in 2012.. I really don't understand. Serious.. The graphics is worse than games released ages ago. 

I think alot of the old "hardcore" Diablo fans, will get a little disappointed with this game. But again,  how could you even think this was going to be like Diablo 1+2, when a complete new team is making the game? It would never happend!

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

I was pretty pissed off about Diablo 3 as well, but I realized something when I did some research into the diablo franchise a few weeks ago.

I understand why it isn't the same game anymore. The original people who worked on Diablo 1, and 2 are no longer working for blizzard anymore. The main guy who created diablo is long gone. Blizzard north no longer exsists. I think the only person that I can recall who is one of the only ones who had a part were Chris Metzen, but back when Diablo 2 was being developed he was just the head guy for the voice, and music in the game.

And yeah.... Diablo 3 sucks... it really sucks.. it sucks so bad I'de rather play pac man. The only people are going to enjoy this game are people who are ok with being handed something dubbed down and simplified. Kids who never played the old Diablo 1 and 2, WoW players who are used to playing simplified games because their game they have been playing for the last 8 years most of all the old vet wow players have left the game, hell even the developers arnt even working on it anymore

This new generation of games as a whole, most of them are crap

They are a waste of money and the developers are laughing at you all the way to the bank. Do I even need to mention the people here who actually went out and pre-ordered the SWTOR  150$ collectors edition and never even played it then found out it sucked and came here complaining how bad it is and they felt they were ripped off? Or do I even need to mention when Age of Conan was first released and people went out and pre-ordered that and got ripped off? Then found out later on the PR guy was lying about the dirext x 10 support.

Gamers are so nieve and gullable, it makes me embarrest to be a gamer. But on the other hand I'm retired from MMO's so at least I'm not wasting my money anymore on WoW clones or games that are made by a bunch of developers who cater to the kiddy crowd.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Me as an veteran Diablo player.....Terrible Terrible game!

Just cancelled my pre-order.....

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• ReiyhnReiyhn Member Posts: 1

I LOVE how u got all thsi from a beta game play that is very short and you really cant get anythign outta it...and im gonan say u prob just got into the beta on this weekend so u dont knwo how many changes actually went down...i agree with some of your posts but the one that grinds my gears is the difficulty...YOU PLAYED A 30 MINS BETA IN ACT 1 ON EASY!!!!!

ill be buyin it cuz i love diablo and frankly every MMRPG that is being realeaed including GW2 just looks like utter shit...i have longed for a town down clicker and this hits the spot...

Love how ppl can judge a game from a realyl short Beta game play...

Bolded parts confuse me.

How can you slam sombody for judging a game from a Beta and then do the same yourself?

Having played both D3 and GW2 (and as a HUGE fan of the Diablo franchise and somebody who couldn't sit on GW1 for more than about 15 seconds without preferring to be punched in the crotch) I MUCH prefer GW2 - I know they are different styles of games but lets face it: They are in direct competition with eachother.

I will probably buy both of them - but as i said.. GW2 is the better quality game at this point.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I finished Diablo 1 two times, Diablo 2 - one time. Just played for a few hours Diablo 3 and I think it is the best Diablo game by far. Excellent all around quality, loved the graphics and lore fragments, combat is very impressive. Good job Blizzard.

Btw, Ive tried Path of Exile. Deleted it in 15 minutes. It cant hold a candle to D3

PS/ lol@ people who play the first Act on normal and complain about low difficulty

This discussion has been closed.