Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worse than I feared....

FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

First things first. I played Diablo 1 & 2 both day of releases, and loved BOTH of them. Literally played for HOURS on "Mplayer" when it was around for Diablo 1 if anyone remembers, and I was apart of several Clans in Diablo 2 for years. Ended up with 6 level 99s before quitting multiple times only to return to come near that very same count of lvl 99s in Diablo 2.

So let's be clear about one thing, I'm a hardcore Diablo fan & I had high, albeit uncontrolled Fanboy, expectations for Diablo 3. Despite all of the horrible videos, dev interviews, and the new Artstyle they went with I decided to still try this weekend's "Open Beta" so I could conclude 100% whether I liked the game or not. Let's also be clear, this is OPEN BETA, meaning that what you see here is a lvl 1-10 perspective of what launch will be like. There won't be any AMAZING turn of events in terms of skills, equipment, or classes before launch (most likely anyways). So crying that I'm talking negatively about Diablo III because it's "Beta" is a false argument, and generally only strengthens my standpoint.

Let's get to it shall we?

=The Bad=

-There is no "game search" window like Diablo 2 had in BattleNet. You cannot search for "Baal Runz001!!!" etc etc. It's a "quick join" system based on where your character "roughly" is in the storyline for multiplayer gameplay, or at least that's what this Open Beta is like. However, to be clear my Closed Beta friends claim there is no deviation between what is shown here and what they've had access to. If you want to play with anyone you actually know you HAVE to use their "Friend" invite system for private games. Want to make new friends like you did in Diablo 2 via public games that had a title to peak your interest? TOUGH LUCK!

-You can no longer choose where to put your attribute points. Blizzard "helped" us by choosing for us.  (ie: you cannot allocate attribute points where you want for a specific build type)

-You can no longer choose from a MASSIVE skill-tree system for thousands of different "Builds" like in Diablo 2. You "unlock" skills based on level progression, and the ONLY deviation between characters of a similar class is 90% gear and 10% of what they've chosen to use on their SIX skill-slot bar.

-Dungeons are barely random, and barely deviate from different instances. Through 4 different playthroughs, and 9 different public games, I knew ALMOST exactly where to go, and the literally "pulsating" beacon on the minimap for a quest just made everything completely pointless. What's the point in exploring anymore?! Atleast in Diablo 1 you could get lost for hours looking for a specific door or item. Diablo 3? NOPE

-The minimap is too small a LOT of times, and when you want the map "blown up" via the TAB key it becomes an "interactable" interface. Meaning you can't click-to-move in a new direction with the map up. You can only click-to-move then hit TAB and keep moving while holding down the button. Not available in combat obviously as you need to move around a lot. (ie: The map is no longer just a "transparent" overlay, you can drag it with your mouse which is simply a poor design choice).

-As meantioned before, Pulsating Quest Markers. Need I say more? (I couldn't find a way to disable these, however someone may know, but that defeats the purpose either way?)

-The game is so ungodly easy it's rather sad. In my 4 different playthroughs from 1-10 I NEVER died once. I even NEVER had to pop an hp-pot. At LEAST in Diablo 2 even in the "normal" difficulty you died a couple times unless you were an uber-elitist who knew 100% what they were doing. HP pots were mandatory, and you never cryed foul even if you got one of those crappy ones. An HP pot generally meant life or death most of the time! Diablo 3? NOPE!

-Mana regenerates too quickly, and the horribly LONG cooldown timers on skills make the "Mana Pool" almost worthless. What's the point of a ManaPool to begin with if it generates within seconds in time for my spell to be done from its cooldown? The ONLY way I found to deplete my ManaPool was with "Hold" abilities that allowed me to physically drain it to 0, only to have it go back to 100% within SECONDS. What happened to Mana Potions & a slow regen?!?! Was that too "slow" for Blizzard's "New" combat tastes?

-Itemization is a laughable joke now. You no longer have to LEARN how the game works, or how certain combat techniques worked better with different weapons/abilities. You LITERALLY just look @ a giant "Dps" number or "Armor" number that has everything totaled up for you and you equip the larger number. A crying shame from even Diablo 1's system, let alone Diablo 2.

-The game simply isn't "Dark" enough. Diablo 1? Forget about it! In Diablo 1 you actually worried about what was in that REALLY dark room with the barred doors! Could there be archers in there with flaming arrows? Oh crap, I'm low on HP pots, better go back to town and stock up! Diablo 3? WHO CARES! Just burst right into the WELL LIT "dungeon" type room with night vision goggles and mow everything down with your mini-gun in time for martinis :D! Seriously, what happened here?!

-Uninspired classes lead to dull gameplay. "WitchDoctor", "Wizard", "DemonHunter (WoW-ref much?)", and "Monk" just quite simply do NOT belong in Diablo 3. I feel like different universes have been smashed together to form Diablo 3, and it's not a good thing. The "old" classes fit MUCH more than these new additions, and Blizzard has only hurt the Diablo franchise even more because of this decision. They SHOULD have "Branched" the old classes out more and fleshed them out to something more unique & sustainable. Instead, they decided to go BACKWARDS to a time where environment means nothing for class types.

-Finally, the "Art Style" completely detracts from the immersion within the Diablo universe. Quite frankly, it fits for a top-down version of Warcraft. I can't even begin to explain this one. I put it at the bottom of the list because Diablo 1 & 2 had a relatively straight forward progression in its ArtStyle from super-gritty to reasonably demonic & gruesome. With Diablo 3 it's gone from Demonic & Gruesome (Diablo2) straight to Massive-Shoulderpads, horribly low polygon counts, and sub-par 6th grader crayon drawn playdoe looking models that I've seen better done in a Capstone Art-Class. Seriously, I keep asking this question, but WHAT HAPPENED?!

=The Good= (spoiler, there's not much :< )

+The Audio in Diablo 3 are faithful recreations that harken back to Diablo 1. It's been quite awhile since I heard that old "bow draw" that skeleton archers & the Archer Class from Diablo 1 used to sound like. All of the drops for items, equipment, gold, quests, etc also harken back to Diablo 1 rather than 2. Something I felt was appropriate.

+Constant Lore "pick-me-ups" that, again, Harken back to Diablo 1 in the beginning of the game to catch "new" people to the Diablo franchise up with what happened in Diablo 1 (since it was all the way back in 1998!). I suddenly feel REALLY old....

+Lore connection between what happened to many of the characters you met from Diablo 1. Such as that crazy witch who'd constantly sell you wierd potions that restored mana as she lived out of a weird shack :P! 

+Old enemies return from Diablo 1 in Act-1 that give you a MASSIVe nostalgia trip. I'm literally reinstalling Diablo 1 on a Virtualized Windows98 right now on my win7 machine JUST so I can play Diablo 1 again :D!

+Barbarian returns as a strong front runner class. Albeit EXTREMELY linear and "tough" to play in the beginning first 10 levels. I'm told the class "branches" out into a full on face-smasher like in Diablo 2. However, MANY of the other classes quite simply don't live up to the Barbarian in terms of "fun" or "Fit" within the realm of Diablo. Seriously, one of the major gripes I hear about Diablo 3 is that they ONLY kept the Barbarian from Diablo 2. Hardcore fans created petition after petition for MANY of the "core" classes to return from Diablo 2 to Diablo 3 only to be completely shot down by Blizzard with a firm "NO". Granted this was supposed to be a (+), but it was worth mentioning. 

Personal Score: 5.2/10

Take from this what you will. Many will still buy it because there's either nothing decent to play at the moment, or because they'll buy anything Blizzard releases regardless of quality or consistancy.

Sincerely,

Faded

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Nice write-up.

Agreed completely.

I only liked Diablo I, it was a breath of fresh air then. Now, Diablo 3... it's just... been, there, done that. But for new players, I guess it can/will be fun. If only they kept the complete atmosphere from Diablo, not just music. It's waaay too colorful.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I love the art style personally. Having fun playing the Beta.. it does seem pretty easy but they also don't let you play the other modes in the beta which are probably a lot tougher.

Wasn't planning on buying but I might change my mind.

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207

I would highly recommend trying the game "Path of Exile" to the poster.  Has a lot of what you are looking for it sounds like.

Is in closed beta right now but you can buy $10 worth of their game currency and get a beta key to go along with it.  Higly polished, great game.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

-There is no "game search" window like Diablo 2 had in BattleNet. 

I suppose this may annoy some folks who are too used to the old system. I honestly find it faster and less tedious than the old system. If you want a particular quest/act section, you can specify as such, and the game will match you accordingly. Also, it makes life easier for friends to play with each other. I pretty much just hit quick join button upon login, and I'm in the game my friend happens to be playing. 

-You can no longer choose where to put your attribute points. 

While I do miss this feature I understand their reasoning. Nothing like putting time into a character only to realize you've gimped yourself due to your attributes, and can't effectively push onwards into higher difficulties. Some people enjoy that prospect, but it isn't my cup of tea. I would've however preferred they gave the option to mess around with your attributes and respec if you wish for a fee. As for those who don't like messing with attribute points, they could've had a guided system in there as well, that did it automatically. 

-You can no longer choose from a MASSIVE skill-tree system for thousands of different "Builds" like in Diablo 2. 

Come on now. There were only a few viable builds despite the number of skills. Most folks were using more or less the same sort of builds. On top of that some of the skills were somewhat useless especially in the higher difficulties. It seems in D3 they were trying to make it so that each skill would be useful in any build, and then supplemented some customization via the rune system. I'm pretty sure there will be cookie cutter builds nonetheless. Also there will probably be even more issues with PvP as well.

-Dungeons are barely random

Hmm... aside from certain maps that were actually static, it felt quite random to me. The beacon didn't bother me at all, but to each their own. What’s the incentive for exploring? Resplendent chests for a chance at some nice loot, and also random  mini-bosses for a chance at loot. 

-The minimap is too small a LOT of times, and when you want the map "blown up" via the TAB key it becomes an "interactable" interface. 

I was quite curious as to why the removed the overlay map. While I like the mini-map, it's nice to have options, especially for those who prefer the overlay map.

-As meantioned before, Pulsating Quest Markers.

Again, I don't mind it, but I suppose it would've be nice to add an option to turn it off. 

-The game is so ungodly easy it's rather sad. 

In D2, it was quite easy as well early on as well. In only got harder much deeper in. I believe D3 will probably be the same. 

-Mana regenerates too quickly, 

I'm rather indifferent about this. 

-Itemization is a laughable joke now.

Meh, just makes life easier. I'm indifferent as either method is fine to me.

-The game simply isn't "Dark" enough.

This I agree with. Things are fairly well lit. I hope this changes later down the line. 

-Uninspired classes lead to dull gameplay. 

I disagree. In this regard, you seem to have a bit of the nostalgia flu. All the lore and what not for these new classes properly fit in with the Diablo universe. It seems you just want a return of the old classes, not because you think the current classes don't fit in. Who knows, maybe in an expansion they'll add some of the old ones from D2 in. 

-Finally, the "Art Style" completely detracts from the immersion within the Diablo universe. 

Hrm... I have no problem with the art style, though I do wish there was more gore. 

I won't go through the good, as I agree with most of that. Many thanks for the well thought out post. It gets tiresome reading posts along the lines of "the game sucks... bottom line". I like to hear the why, and some supporting evidence. As others have mentioned, Path of Exile may be what you're looking for.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The difficulty is not really something to worry about after just playing 10 levels 8even though OP still should have been forced to drink a pot or 2), hopefully that goes up.

Otherwise it is rather grim reading... 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Why report on stuff we've known forever, like the art style, darkness, etc, even the skill system has been known for a while, that it wasn't going to be skilltree based?

Those horses have been beat to death, bliz isn't changing any of it clearly.  So move onto other things.

Originally posted by adam_nox

Why report on stuff we've known forever, like the art style, darkness, etc, even the skill system has been known for a while, that it wasn't going to be skilltree based?

Those horses have been beat to death, bliz isn't changing any of it clearly.  So move onto other things.

Still, if OP writes us a quickreview he should mention them.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Welcome to the age of catering to idiots. Put a NES game like Metroid or Kid Icarus in front of someone these days and they quit in 10 minutes, yet most of us got through those games at < 13 yrs old.

With the vast majority of the human population being simpletons, it makes sense to cater to them.

Originally posted by karmath

Welcome to the age of catering to idiots. Put a NES game like Metroid or Kid Icarus in front of someone these days and they quit in 10 minutes, yet most of us got through those games at < 13 yrs old.

With the vast majority of the human population being simpletons, it makes sense to cater to them.

I think the problem is the publishers, not the players. The suits at Activision want a game so simple they can play it themselves...

D2 sold 4 million copies and 2 more of the expansions, do they think they can sell 20 million if they just make it easier?

• AriannaeAriannae Member UncommonPosts: 40

Originally posted by doragon86

In D2, it was quite easy as well early on as well. In only got harder much deeper in. I believe D3 will probably be the same. 

Diablo II was not the only one in the series.

The problem with Diablo III is that it is straying much too far from the originality the Diablo universe had and more towards the modern Blizzard perspective of how a game should be. Activision-Blizzard is not and never will be the same Blizzard North that started the series off.

Now, if they had released DIII as an entirely different entity that did not directly continue the Diablo series, I highly doubt there would be many negative comments about the game. But the fact of the matter is that they attempted to continue a classic game series and have managed to destroy the soul of said classic for the sake of milking as much money as they possibly can out of their playerbase.

If you are/were an avid Diablo player and go into Diablo III expecting a step forward from its predecessors, you will most likely be disappointed. New players to the series, however, will probably have a blast with the game.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by karmath

This post is what alot of us are saying on this site.

Sadly though, its all about the money. If you can dumb down the game enough, EVERYONE can play it. What does this mean for real gamers? We get a watered down game that has no real substance.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

First things first. I played Diablo 1 & 2 both day of releases, and loved BOTH of them. Literally played for HOURS on "Mplayer" when it was around for Diablo 1 if anyone remembers, and I was apart of several Clans in Diablo 2 for years. Ended up with 6 level 99s before quitting multiple times only to return to come near that very same count of lvl 99s in Diablo 2.

So let's be clear about one thing, I'm a hardcore Diablo fan & I had high, albeit uncontrolled Fanboy, expectations for Diablo 3. Despite all of the horrible videos, dev interviews, and the new Artstyle they went with I decided to still try this weekend's "Open Beta" so I could conclude 100% whether I liked the game or not. Let's also be clear, this is OPEN BETA, meaning that what you see here is a lvl 1-10 perspective of what launch will be like. There won't be any AMAZING turn of events in terms of skills, equipment, or classes before launch (most likely anyways). So crying that I'm talking negatively about Diablo III because it's "Beta" is a false argument, and generally only strengthens my standpoint.

Let's get to it shall we?

=The Bad=

-There is no "game search" window like Diablo 2 had in BattleNet. You cannot search for "Baal Runz001!!!" etc etc. It's a "quick join" system based on where your character "roughly" is in the storyline for multiplayer gameplay, or at least that's what this Open Beta is like. However, to be clear my Closed Beta friends claim there is no deviation between what is shown here and what they've had access to. If you want to play with anyone you actually know you HAVE to use their "Friend" invite system for private games. Want to make new friends like you did in Diablo 2 via public games that had a title to peak your interest? TOUGH LUCK!

Ill agree with this

-You can no longer choose where to put your attribute points. Blizzard "helped" us by choosing for us.  (ie: you cannot allocate attribute points where you want for a specific build type)

Meh

-You can no longer choose from a MASSIVE skill-tree system for thousands of different "Builds" like in Diablo 2. You "unlock" skills based on level progression, and the ONLY deviation between characters of a similar class is 90% gear and 10% of what they've chosen to use on their SIX skill-slot bar.

The new skill tree isnt massive enough for you? hell looks to dam complex for me...cant even use half of the abillities frcing u to act on the fly swapping out what u need at moment notice. I think its a improvment

-Dungeons are barely random, and barely deviate from different instances. Through 4 different playthroughs, and 9 different public games, I knew ALMOST exactly where to go, and the literally "pulsating" beacon on the minimap for a quest just made everything completely pointless. What's the point in exploring anymore?! Atleast in Diablo 1 you could get lost for hours looking for a specific door or item. Diablo 3? NOPE

Now why woudl u go straight for the end? explor n cear out the area...also this  beacon thing is prob a attempt to make a map hack usless...though i dont think so

-The minimap is too small a LOT of times, and when you want the map "blown up" via the TAB key it becomes an "interactable" interface. Meaning you can't click-to-move in a new direction with the map up. You can only click-to-move then hit TAB and keep moving while holding down the button. Not available in combat obviously as you need to move around a lot. (ie: The map is no longer just a "transparent" overlay, you can drag it with your mouse which is simply a poor design choice).

i agree...i miss the mini map in the middle of my screen but can still play the game

-As meantioned before, Pulsating Quest Markers. Need I say more? (I couldn't find a way to disable these, however someone may know, but that defeats the purpose either way?)

-The game is so ungodly easy it's rather sad. In my 4 different playthroughs from 1-10 I NEVER died once. I even NEVER had to pop an hp-pot. At LEAST in Diablo 2 even in the "normal" difficulty you died a couple times unless you were an uber-elitist who knew 100% what they were doing. HP pots were mandatory, and you never cryed foul even if you got one of those crappy ones. An HP pot generally meant life or death most of the time! Diablo 3? NOPE!

Really? u r seriously gonna go there have u played into hell or nightmare? i think ot...so what gives u the right to say its easy? its o easy mode...what did u expect one hit kills from mobs? geez....did u even read the interview about how nightmare is suppose to be BS hard?

-Mana regenerates too quickly, and the horribly LONG cooldown timers on skills make the "Mana Pool" almost worthless. What's the point of a ManaPool to begin with if it generates within seconds in time for my spell to be done from its cooldown? The ONLY way I found to deplete my ManaPool was with "Hold" abilities that allowed me to physically drain it to 0, only to have it go back to 100% within SECONDS. What happened to Mana Potions & a slow regen?!?! Was that too "slow" for Blizzard's "New" combat tastes?

what is this mana u speak of? real men fight with there meele skills but i will say i love the fact they implemented a cooldown on potions.

-Itemization is a laughable joke now. You no longer have to LEARN how the game works, or how certain combat techniques worked better with different weapons/abilities. You LITERALLY just look @ a giant "Dps" number or "Armor" number that has everything totaled up for you and you equip the larger number. A crying shame from even Diablo 1's system, let alone Diablo 2.

again its beta...u only played 2% of the game

-The game simply isn't "Dark" enough. Diablo 1? Forget about it! In Diablo 1 you actually worried about what was in that REALLY dark room with the barred doors! Could there be archers in there with flaming arrows? Oh crap, I'm low on HP pots, better go back to town and stock up! Diablo 3? WHO CARES! Just burst right into the WELL LIT "dungeon" type room with night vision goggles and mow everything down with your mini-gun in time for martinis :D! Seriously, what happened here?!

its called easy mode...

-Uninspired classes lead to dull gameplay. "WitchDoctor", "Wizard", "DemonHunter (WoW-ref much?)", and "Monk" just quite simply do NOT belong in Diablo 3. I feel like different universes have been smashed together to form Diablo 3, and it's not a good thing. The "old" classes fit MUCH more than these new additions, and Blizzard has only hurt the Diablo franchise even more because of this decision. They SHOULD have "Branched" the old classes out more and fleshed them out to something more unique & sustainable. Instead, they decided to go BACKWARDS to a time where environment means nothing for class types.

-Finally, the "Art Style" completely detracts from the immersion within the Diablo universe. Quite frankly, it fits for a top-down version of Warcraft. I can't even begin to explain this one. I put it at the bottom of the list because Diablo 1 & 2 had a relatively straight forward progression in its ArtStyle from super-gritty to reasonably demonic & gruesome. With Diablo 3 it's gone from Demonic & Gruesome (Diablo2) straight to Massive-Shoulderpads, horribly low polygon counts, and sub-par 6th grader crayon drawn playdoe looking models that I've seen better done in a Capstone Art-Class. Seriously, I keep asking this question, but WHAT HAPPENED?!

i dont c what u r talking about the game is beauteful and my GF's computer cant even run it on med setting...i think u have too high of starndards.

=The Good= (spoiler, there's not much :< )

+The Audio in Diablo 3 are faithful recreations that harken back to Diablo 1. It's been quite awhile since I heard that old "bow draw" that skeleton archers & the Archer Class from Diablo 1 used to sound like. All of the drops for items, equipment, gold, quests, etc also harken back to Diablo 1 rather than 2. Something I felt was appropriate.

+Constant Lore "pick-me-ups" that, again, Harken back to Diablo 1 in the beginning of the game to catch "new" people to the Diablo franchise up with what happened in Diablo 1 (since it was all the way back in 1998!). I suddenly feel REALLY old....

+Lore connection between what happened to many of the characters you met from Diablo 1. Such as that crazy witch who'd constantly sell you wierd potions that restored mana as she lived out of a weird shack :P! 

+Old enemies return from Diablo 1 in Act-1 that give you a MASSIVe nostalgia trip. I'm literally reinstalling Diablo 1 on a Virtualized Windows98 right now on my win7 machine JUST so I can play Diablo 1 again :D!

+Barbarian returns as a strong front runner class. Albeit EXTREMELY linear and "tough" to play in the beginning first 10 levels. I'm told the class "branches" out into a full on face-smasher like in Diablo 2. However, MANY of the other classes quite simply don't live up to the Barbarian in terms of "fun" or "Fit" within the realm of Diablo. Seriously, one of the major gripes I hear about Diablo 3 is that they ONLY kept the Barbarian from Diablo 2. Hardcore fans created petition after petition for MANY of the "core" classes to return from Diablo 2 to Diablo 3 only to be completely shot down by Blizzard with a firm "NO". Granted this was supposed to be a (+), but it was worth mentioning. 

Personal Score: 5.2/10 really it just breaks 1/2 for u? god i dont wanna knwo what u gave SWTOR or Tera bet u give GW2 a 10/10

Take from this what you will. Many will still buy it because there's either nothing decent to play at the moment, or because they'll buy anything Blizzard releases regardless of quality or consistancy.

Sincerely,

Faded

I LOVE how u got all thsi from a beta game play that is very short and you really cant get anythign outta it...and im gonan say u prob just got into the beta on this weekend so u dont knwo how many changes actually went down...i agree with some of your posts but the one that grinds my gears is the difficulty...YOU PLAYED A 30 MINS BETA IN ACT 1 ON EASY!!!!!

ill be buyin it cuz i love diablo and frankly every MMRPG that is being realeaed including GW2 just looks like utter shit...i have longed for a town down clicker and this hits the spot...

Love how ppl can judge a game from a realyl short Beta game play...

Originally posted by Scypheroth

I LOVE how u got all thsi from a beta game play that is very short and you really cant get anythign outta it...and im gonan say u prob just got into the beta on this weekend so u dont knwo how many changes actually went down...i agree with some of your posts but the one that grinds my gears is the difficulty...YOU PLAYED A 30 MINS BETA IN ACT 1 ON EASY!!!!!

ill be buyin it cuz i love diablo and frankly every MMRPG that is being realeaed including GW2 just looks like utter shit...i have longed for a town down clicker and this hits the spot...

Love how ppl can judge a game from a realyl short Beta game play...

You are right that playing a short demo (this is really a demo, not a beta) wont give you a fair score but anyone can still weed out plenty of games in that time.

As someone else said do I think Blizzard made a serious misstake here, if they just made this game set in the same world as Wow or something new there would be little whining, but they took a classic game serie and turned it into something else.

That is a big misstake since it alienates the old fans.

I have a feeling that almost all bad reviews will be from old D 1 & 2 fans while almost all good will be from players who never played the old games.

That you think this looks good and GW2 looks bad is odd in my eyes, but I guess that is a mtter of taste. But I bet you never played the original Diablo.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

I played the original Diablo and 2...I find this game to be fun.  It flows and the action is good.  WitchDocs work just fine with the D2 jungle parts that were introduced.  Anyone saying a witchdoc does not belong odviously did not play D2 because they did not go in the jungle with those little creeps in the masks.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by Ariannae

The problem with Diablo III is that it is straying much too far from the originality the Diablo universe had and more towards the modern Blizzard perspective of how a game should be. Activision-Blizzard is not and never will be the same Blizzard North that started the series off.

Now, if they had released DIII as an entirely different entity that did not directly continue the Diablo series, I highly doubt there would be many negative comments about the game. But the fact of the matter is that they attempted to continue a classic game series and have managed to destroy the soul of said classic for the sake of milking as much money as they possibly can out of their playerbase.

If you are/were an avid Diablo player and go into Diablo III expecting a step forward from its predecessors, you will most likely be disappointed. New players to the series, however, will probably have a blast with the game.

Indeed it wasn't the only one in the series. However, a large chunk of the diablo fanbase came into it from D2. The first Diablo was difficult from level 1. You can say that the diablo series got easier as it grew. 

Ok. Diablo 3 is straying in what ways? Of course it won't be the same. Things will always change. As time goes on, development views and ideas can change. I agree with some of the points you all are bringing up. However, I feel that some of you are wearing nostalgia glasses, and refuse to take them off. 

I've played both D1 & D2, and I have very few complaints with D3. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85

i played the first and second one and i would agree it is pretty much easy mode; but wasnt diablo 1 and 2 i mean blizzard truthfully has never gotten away from the easy mode game play style in diablo 1 u had tomes (and im pretty sure we all duped at some point) that gave u stats and really op items but still fairly simplistic play styles. Diablo 2 carried on let u branch out in points but eventually dumbed down and gave u bonus's for putting it towards a particular tree semi forcing people away from the for fun specs they had. Daiblo 3 carrys the theme by making it even more easy mode. If your playing a blizzard game for its intense hard game play then you have to open your eyes if its hard they will nerf it. Now i will say this hardcore is there for a reason and trust me when i say i garentee that the other modes will be hard and u will be pulling your hair.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

=The Bad=

That's a big deal to me.  I only played it a little so far and didn't try finding games.  I really want to know how that functionality will work before buying the game.  (EDIT: someone already mentioned you can specify quest/act and it will autofind one for you.)

None of your other complaints really bother me.

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

I agree with op. It's silly really at one point i was playing the game while talking to my girlfriend, didn't even have to look at the screen, that say something about diificulty and skill need to play. Button mashing ftw with cartoonish graphics and bland partical effects. I'm really glad i won't be wasting money on this. GW2 beta next weekend can't wait.

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by Ariannae

Indeed it wasn't the only one in the series. However, a large chunk of the diablo fanbase came into it from D2. The first Diablo was difficult from level 1. You can say that the diablo series got easier as it grew. 

Ok. Diablo 3 is straying in what ways? Of course it won't be the same. Things will always change. As time goes on, development views and ideas can change. I agree with some of the points you all are bringing up. However, I feel that some of you are wearing nostalgia glasses, and refuse to take them off. 

I totally agree with you on that.  I keep seeing the same dumbass complaints about Diablo 3 beta.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by eAzydaman

I agree with op. It's silly really at one point i was playing the game while talking to my girlfriend, didn't even have to look at the screen, that say something about diificulty and skill need to play. Button mashing ftw with cartoonish graphics and bland partical effects. I'm really glad i won't be wasting money on this. GW2 beta next weekend can't wait.

So, what, you didnt know it was a diablo game?

hack and slash games are always button mashing, maybe next time you should, i dont know, try knowing something abouta game before you try it.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

op you forgot too mention how its just an rmt money grab game where blizzard taxes all real money auctions for profit.

Originally posted by Nobadeeftw

I totally agree with you on that.  I keep seeing the same dumbass complaints about Diablo 3 beta.

I dunno, the point of making sequels is nostalgia.

I mean they made starcraft 2 really close to the original so why not this game?

If Blizzard weren't going for nostalgia they could have easily named the game something else, and no-one would complaining (or at least almost noone).

Originally posted by warmaster670

hack and slash games are always button mashing, maybe next time you should, i dont know, try knowing something abouta game before you try it.

Agreed, but if you lloked away from the screen in Diablo you were looking on your corpse when you looked back...

I think I killed 1 mouse and almost a second one as well on the first game. :)

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by warmaster670

I knew that but it was even more silly than usual. The bosses and mobs didn't scale well either when you were playing with friends. The old Diablo magic has gone, it has lost the appeal. As stated it wasn't nearly as dark and gritty. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

3 things really dissapointed me

1. Barely any randomatization in maps.  Which is essential for Diablo like games. I really dont understand what were they thinking here...

2. Low resolution textures. The game looks like something on x-box. Why ? Again , no answer to this. One would think that after 10 years of development they could make high res versions

3. Last but perhaps most important  - Completely dumbed down. Everything is pre-choosen for you. Skills, stats, even the runes ( that just until last week were to be something you find and embed , combine with your skills - thus creating at least some sort of customisation ) - Even the item stats are dumbed down.

Now I understand that some people dont like metagaming, and builds. But I can guarantee you that games with no stat building , last much less for player, and get boring real fast.

Everything is simply tailored for super casual player. They could as well just put it in SOE Free Realms world, or some other kid game. Because it feels like that.

As for difficulty. There are higher difficulty modes.

But where does player skill shows, if every skill and build is auomatically gained by leveling up ?

This discussion has been closed.