Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Believe me, you have played this game before.....

Comments

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by Haxdelesriot

TERA has awesome graphics for an mmo and the engine was optimized very well. The quests remind me of vanilla WoW kill-quests, which is a terrible idea imo, considering this accounts for probably 90% of the quests. I really liked the large variety of classes and races you could choose from but that was about it.

My main probelm with TERA is actually the combat, not that the idea of it is bad, just the execution. When it was so heavily branded as a "True action mmo" I got the impression that it would be some fun, fast paced twitched based combat. From what I saw and played, that is not the case. Combat is mind-numbingly slow and boring. Attacks, abilities and combos take almost no skill or thought to execute and all you have to do to dodge an enemies attack is take one step to the left or right. You don't even need to use your dodge skill because all enemy NPCs seem to have the A.I. capabilities of a Roomba. Seriously, the mobs will take years charging up their "big boy damage" abilities and are completely thwarted by you hobbling slightly to the left, as if to wonder if the mob suddenly thought "*gasp* he moved slightly to the left, my only weakness! I didn't think he'd do that!". The combos work in a similar fashion as they do in Aion, where a certain ability you have, upon activation, will cause another ability to light up, signaling you to press the same button once again. Do to this system, combos are extremely linear and don't really allow you to create your own combos.

With a combat system that lets you aim but feels like you are swinging through molasses, semi-retarded A.I. and that unshakable feeling similar to when you see someone playing with a rubik's cube but they don't know what they are doing and you just want to snatch it out of their hands and show them how to do it, this game is not for me.

Casual vidya game players would probably enjoy this game, but if you are a hardcore mmo player or just gamer in general, enjoy games that require skill and difficulty, enjoy games like Vindictus, Hack n' Slash games, or any twitched based game, you will probably hate how slow and care-bearish this game is. I made it to level 20 before I finally threw in the boredom towel. I'm very sure the game gets much harder later, but I don't want to pay for a box+sub just so I can slog through 100+ hours of gameplay before I find anything remolety difficult about this game.

6/10 would not buy imo.

"When it was so heavily branded as a "True action mmo" I got the impression that it would be some fun, fast paced twitched based combat."

Yes, because the difficulty stays the same. 

"You don't even need to use your dodge skill because all enemy NPCs seem to have the A.I. capabilities of a Roomba."

Then stop fighting level noob island mobs and get off the island onto the main continent.

"The combos work in a similar fashion as they do in Aion, where a certain ability you have, upon activation, will cause another ability to light up, signaling you to press the same button once again. Do to this system, combos are extremely linear and don't really allow you to create your own combos."

Except...players can create their own combos. Did you even play the game?

"but if you are a hardcore mmo player or just gamer in general, enjoy games that require skill and difficulty, enjoy games like Vindictus, Hack n' Slash games, or any twitched based game, you will probably hate how slow and care-bearish this game is.  I'm very sure the game gets much harder later"

You contradict yourself right there. I don't know of any online game that starts with difficulty set to max and everything available to you from the start.

Oh and from what I remember during my time with Vindictus it also was easy as pie at the start. I didn't like the limited selection of classes/archetypes (three at the time) and the lobby based gameplay.

L2P TERA combat:

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Originally posted by Odinthedark1

Lol dude dont talk until you hit 20 it gets really fun especially if you're grouping with friends, i hit level 12 in 3 hours flat when i got into obt with a good friend of mine healing while i mass pulled and aoe'ed big groups. its true that the quests are generic and linear but thats just how mmorpg's are and i actually enjoy em like that so long as they dont go overboard. i dont see it changing anytime soon, till we have flying cars and virtual reality. [..]

That's just the thing - MMO's dont have to be this way! That's the whole beauty behind GW2, so no, we do not need to wait as long as you think, just a few months, and merely a week till thee first open beta :) There is absoultely no point even trying TERA imho, all I needed was one or two gameplay videos to know I've played this game in another version (LOTRO) for years and was already bored before the video was over.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by gladosrev2

There is absoultely no point even trying TERA imho, all I needed was one or two gameplay videos to know I've played this game in another version (LOTRO) for years and was already bored before the video was over.

And here we go, when I think I just read any possible idiocy someone proves to me that I was mistaken.

LOTRO ??? Really? 

Reading it compared to Aion or Vindictus was stupid but LOTRO? And from just looking at a video no less.

Sorry if I sound rude but the things that some people manage to say about this game leaves me astonished.

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by Breaking123

Well to be honest Vindictus did better job with the so called BAMs. The basilisks you get to kill at level 20 ( apperently that is the main reason it is supposed to be fun when you reach lvl 20 ) are so easy it is not a slightest challenge. The only thing that would be great in this game is PVP , too bad it doesn't exist ( and no Open World PK is not something I consider PVP, killing a player that is questing doesn't even require skill ) So the main thing I look forward in a action mmo  is not existant in a game that wants me to buy it for 50 euros and then pay them each month just so I cna hope for BGs and Arenas to come sometime this year...

Releasing a unfinished product is just not cool

Unfinished product? Is this a joke?  Did you not see the laundry list of content this game is going to have at launch?

http://tera.enmasse.com/new-launch-features

Tera is going to be easily launch with the most content and most polish of any other MMO to date.  The fact that you keep comparing Tera to Vindictus, a heavily instanced ORPG with inferior graphics and very little content, and you cannot see the difference?  I'm sorry but you are Blind my friend.

You also have a problem doing math, Tera is B2P for the first month, there is NO SUB, until the second month, and you get access to ALL the content.  If you think you can clear all the content within the first month then simply don't sub, or simply resub when they add something that you like then it becomes P2P.

GW2 is not free, it's B2P, which means that you get no free month, and you get restricted character slots, and bag slots and dyes and a host of all other restrictions that you need to shell out Real money from the cash shop to fix.  Also if you want to try out the new content you're going to have to pay for it.  A quick check of Amazon and the GW1 expansions are not cheap  GW1 Factions is $22.39 which is much more than the price of a month's sub and if you wanted to get all 3 expansions together that would set you back $65.37.  All of Tera's additional content is free, so if you don't like it, then just unsub and resub when it has more content and it will only cost you that additional month.

Last but not least Tera has chrono-scrolls which rewards players that are dedicated to playing the game with free-game time by trading in-game currency.  Free month + monthly sub (if you choose) + no $$ expansions+ no cash shop + chronoscrolls = the most inexpensive Triple AAA MMO you will ever play.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Here's one of the problems that I see. SWTOR isn't the greatest MMO ever made but what it does do well is that it hooks you from the beginning. Tera does not do this so it makes it hard to be motivated to play past a few levels. And I think there are going to be a lot of people who feel this way. I can't say how the game gets as you move deeper into the game but I do feel like they need to have a more compelling start to the game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Tera is a traditionall theme park MMORPG (with a few twists) for people who still enjoy playinng tradional theme park MMORPG's.

If you are looking for something really new and different this is not your game, you most probably should be wiating for GW2.

Now me, I'm looking for something really diffferent, but more along the lines of EVE with a fantasy theme, but until then I play each MMO for the fun they offfer and so I"m here playing Tera for a spell.

Likely it will will only keep my interest for a few months, but that's all I'm really expecting from GW2 and TSW as well.

For now its enough to share this new world with my guidlmates, am looking forward to running some BAMs/dungeons on my Mystic,, and whatevver else comes along.

Altbough I'm on a PVE server, I may reroll on a PVP once I gain better mastery ovver the controls and what not, and hopefully they'll add some reward to the open world PVP as it's a bit too pointless for my liking right now.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I'm basically buying this game for the Diablo aspect. I think it works for that pretty well.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Originally posted by Requiamer

This is why i cannot support this game, yes it have a combat system that is interesting, yes it look good, but that's it. I'm just fade up of barebones they call mmo and sell it for a full triple A price. I really wanted to play this game, even buy it, i recall a time i used to say i would buy it at least for the costume work, but i just changed my mind, i will buy it at 10$, it doesn't worth more than that. Game companies should understand you cannot make a game with only 2 features like combat and costume, it just won't work, neither in Asia, neither in the West, as soon as the novelty will fade away, the reality with hit and they will be left with a game with no revenue. Barebones don't work guys get over it once and for all, or at least if you do it make it f2p. This is why Nc would have made this game better, they actually got this reality slapped in the face in 2000 when they made Lineage2, and understood it perfectly well, i guess Bluehole or whoever left Nc to make it totally missed that point.

Do you truly think you have the required experience to make these claims? How much of the game did you really play?

Just not worth my time anymore.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Without quoting one person or another I just want to thank all of you for keeping me entertained.  I understand this is only the beginning of the fun and the next three to six months is going to be incredable on this site.  I am really excited to finally be playing my TERA character and I will think of you all fondly while I have fun.

Just not worth my time anymore.

I understand that if you look at Tera and GW2 comparison that Tera will seem more like the traditional MMO due to it's trinity system, and GW2 is the place for people that want something new.

However I do not agree with this assestment at all.  It's more accurate to say that both Tera and GW2 offers something new to the MMO genre.

GW2 - No trinity, "endgame at level 1", Structured PvP, WvWvW PvP.

I didn't list Dynamic Events, because Dynamic events is not new, they are just glorified large scale public quests that eventually reset and have no impact on the world itself.  Personal Story is not a new feature, SW:TOR has the same system.

Tera- Combat, Political system, Open World PvP.

So you can argue that GW2 is more of a game for players that want something "new" because it offers slightly more unique features then Tera's unique features.  However to players that actually like the Trinity, and like endgame, removing those two aspects will certaintly make GW2 different, but not necessarily better.  Lastly people downplay Combat, like it's only 25% of what players do in the game.  Combat literally effects EVERYTHING you do in PvP and PvE.  I hear comments all the time from players that actually played Tera to level 20+ saying that they can't go back to tab targetting MMOs anymore.  I haven't played GW2 but I would love to hear similiar comments about it's combat system.

What I'm saying is that both games offer a lot of innovative features to the MMO genre, but to me Tera offers a lot more innovation then what I have seen in GW2.  Also I know I did not list every single fanboy feature of GW2.  This post was actually quite larger, and I purposefully truncated the features that both GW2 and Tera shared so that I could get my point across without a wall of text.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

TERA is fun to play, I am now level 25 in EU and so far it is not bad. The problem for me is the cost, there is no way in hell they can justify the price of the game+sub. The things that irritate me mostly are quests where you kill 10 x mobs and then come back just to get the same quest from a person that is  standing next to the original quest giver. 

Of the quests I've done, I've encountered that specific situation a few times at most and I'm pretty sure we're playing the same game and getting the same quests. Most times it's sending you off to kill different things or talk to different people, etc.

You're taking something happens a minority of the time and making it sound worse than it is for sake of issuing a point against the game. Not exactly fair to the game, or the people interested in checking it out.

Besides that, EN Masse is talking a lot about  "true action game" but killing mobs, bosses or how they call them BAMs is nothing special. I was killing huge bosses that demanded 150% concentration in Vindictus. I want to see PVP and sorry but you can't come and tell me I need to pay 50 euros + monthly sub just to get battlegrounds sometime in summer ? 

You're conflating "true action game" with a portion of the mobs you kill. "True action" describes the combat system itself. No matter what you're fighting, or where, it's always True Action Combat. It has nothing to do with what you're fighting. You're conflating two separate things here.

It's like saying "This restaurant talks a lot about having  comfortable seating and a top-notch waiting staff, but I've had better steaks at a Roadhouse Grill."

Whether BAMs are anything special or not is a completely separate point, it's your opinion, and fighting BAMs are only one aspect of the game. You're cherry-picking one aspect of the game, comparing it to another game for which is meaningless as 1) This isn't Vindictus 2) Not everyone has played Vindictus 3) Not everyone who has played it would have the same impression of Vindictus as you have. I tried it and didn't care for it, for example.

All in all, for me, this game is not worth the money. 

Fair enough. Your opinion and you're entitled to it. Your shared opinions of it, however, seem more engineered and contrived than genuine. You have at least played to level 25 after all. Something kept you in the game, and I'm sure it wasn't some sense of moral obligation.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

played beta today and alltough it realy isnt my kinda game but the "pointing" combat style kinda got to me....it felt great to actually miss a target for a change instead of the old tab and my fireball always lands on (even moving targets.

The mobs themselfs realy do try to evade your attacks.....people who have not played this kind of combat should realy give it a try imho.

login in worked even better then diablo 3 today for me......biablo servers cant deal with all those users logging i think :)

So give it a try is my friendly advise for today....you got nothing to lose.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

Unfinished product? Is this a joke?  Did you not see the laundry list of content this game is going to have at launch?

http://tera.enmasse.com/new-launch-features

Tera is going to be easily launch with the most content and most polish of any other MMO to date.  The fact that you keep comparing Tera to Vindictus, a heavily instanced ORPG with inferior graphics and very little content, and you cannot see the difference?  I'm sorry but you are Blind my friend.

You also have a problem doing math, Tera is B2P for the first month, there is NO SUB, until the second month, and you get access to ALL the content.  If you think you can clear all the content within the first month then simply don't sub, or simply resub when they add something that you like then it becomes P2P.

Oh come on. That list is just marketing. Tera doesn't even have raids and battlegrounds at launch and it has only 5 max level dungeon. It's far from being one of the most polished and completed mmorpg at launch ;)

GW2 is not free, it's B2P, which means that you get no free month, and you get restricted character slots, and bag slots and dyes and a host of all other restrictions that you need to shell out Real money from the cash shop to fix.  Also if you want to try out the new content you're going to have to pay for it.  A quick check of Amazon and the GW1 expansions are not cheap  GW1 Factions is $22.39 which is much more than the price of a month's sub and if you wanted to get all 3 expansions together that would set you back $65.37.  All of Tera's additional content is free, so if you don't like it, then just unsub and resub when it has more content and it will only cost you that additional month.

Last but not least Tera has chrono-scrolls which rewards players that are dedicated to playing the game with free-game time by trading in-game currency.  Free month + monthly sub (if you choose) + no $$ expansions+ no cash shop + chronoscrolls = the most inexpensive Triple AAA MMO you will ever play.

Again on this matter. I thought i corrected you many times but still.

GW2 is not free is B2P. You get 5 character slots and that's more than enough for 99% of the players. Bag slots? it's cheaper than a single month sub and it's there forever.

You can get all the dyes in game... and come on!!!! Dyes! They are just cosmetic things. Jeez

Factions and the 2 expansions are on Steam for 30$ check again lol

And you get the updates for free like Tera.

When an expansion is realeased you get TONS on new things not just few (if they go the Gw1 route). The first expansion won't come out in the first year for sure. And it's still much much cheaper than a sub game.

Do your math  better about the "the most inexpensive triple aaa mmo" you will ever play 

1Year 

Tera 55€ (box) + 1 month free + 11 months 13€ = 198€

GW2 55€ (box) + 12 months free = 55€

If math is not an opinion 198 > 55

Btw chronoscrolls are silly. I want to PLAY not work to grind gold to pay the sub

The people that plans to play Tera for free need to understand  a mmorpg is a GAME not a JOB. The hours of grinding needed to collect gold to pay the subscription are wasted. Go out and work 1hour: there you have your subscription fee for this month. Come back and have real fun.

I understand that if you look at Tera and GW2 comparison that Tera will seem more like the traditional MMO due to it's trinity system, and GW2 is the place for people that want something new.

However I do not agree with this assestment at all.  It's more accurate to say that both Tera and GW2 offers something new to the MMO genre.

GW2 - No trinity, "endgame at level 1", Structured PvP, WvWvW PvP.

I didn't list Dynamic Events, because Dynamic events is not new, they are just glorified large scale public quests that eventually reset and have no impact on the world itself.  Personal Story is not a new feature, SW:TOR has the same system.

Tera- Combat, Political system, Open World PvP.

If you think Dynamic events are not new then this is what Tera offers as new:

Tera- " "

The action combat was already done in vindictus and dragon nest, political system was done before (and better) and the open world PVP.... excuse me how is owpvp a "new feature"?

O_O

And WvWvW in Gw2 is not strictly new since it's kinda like Daoc but still since it has been 10 years since Daoc you can consider it "new". Okay.

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by otacu 

Btw chronoscrolls are silly. I want to PLAY not work to grind gold to pay the sub

The people that plans to play Tera for free need to understand  a mmorpg is a GAME not a JOB. The hours of grinding needed to collect gold to pay the subscription are wasted. Go out and work 1hour: there you have your subscription fee for this month. Come back and have real fun.

No, you have to understand that everyone is free to spend his time as he likes. 

I can accept everything else you say as opinion even if expressed with an annoying arrogance but what you choose to do doesn't set a standard for everyone else.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Originally posted by Kehdar

Originally posted by otacu 

No, you have to understand that everyone is free to spend his time as he likes. 

I can accept everything else you say as opinion even if expressed with an annoying arrogance but what you choose to do doesn't set a standard for everyone else.

Ok no problem.

IMHO A mmorpg is a game and not a job.

:)

• bill4747bill4747 Member Posts: 202

Its ok to like Tera and GW2 at the same time. Really.

I plan to play both, and I expect both games will be fun.

It amazes me that people feel a need to belittle aspects of both games presumably to be 'proven right'

"My game of the moment is perfect! all other games are horrible!" gets pretty old.

• kujiikujii Member UncommonPosts: 190

I like how these games all get amazing after lev 20 heard it for Aion, Conan, ..... Do these games have such an amazing learning curve that they have to be boring from the start?  If you are requested to go kill 10 of these and then gp kill 10 of those that were next to 10 of these, then the game is on the same treadmill we have seen 20 times over.  Then they want to charge for jumping back on the old 2002 treadmill that the track fell off of back in 2008.   There is an appalling lack of imagination in the mmo world.  

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Personally I really want to play TERA. I've played in OBs of it since J-Tera's launch and have been following it for very long. But I just can't justify its monthly sub cost atm.

With a game of a similar calibre and argueably better experience coming out (GW2), which asks for no monthly sub...I would feel stupid paying a monthly sub for a game I won't enjoy as much. 

To me GW2 is better in every way. But that doesn't mean I hate TERA. That doesn't mean I don't want to play TERA. If TERA was F2P I would definitely play. But as a subscription fee game, I don't feel it is worth that cost. If I pay for a subscription, I want to be FULLY invested in the game.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Originally posted by kujii

I like how these games all get amazing after lev 20 heard it for Aion, Conan, ..... Do these games have such an amazing learning curve that they have to be boring from the start?  If you are requested to go kill 10 of these and then gp kill 10 of those that were next to 10 of these, then the game is on the same treadmill we have seen 20 times over.  Then they want to charge for jumping back on the old 2002 treadmill that the track fell off of back in 2008.   There is an appalling lack of imagination in the mmo world.  

Actually, in the case of Conan, the complain was the complete opposite. The game was amazing until level 20, then when you left the starting island things went downhill fast. It's much better now than at release, but still the most fun I've had with the game was before level 20 (never got to level cap with any char, on release or after F2P, though)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

No you can't read.  Click that link, what the heck do you call an event that takes 30+ players including tanks and healers to down a boss if not a raid?  No it's not a marketing scam, it's an actual list of content, and it's not even a comprehensive list because it doesn't take into account a lot content they mentioned earlier.  Please go ahead and find me another game that has this many features, polish, and content a launch. Rift? SW:TOR? DCUO?

No you can't do math at all. Tera is free for the first month, there's more then enough content in this game to warrant a box price with no sub.  If don't want to pay for the sub don't pay, if someone shells out monthly for the game that's because they like it.  And if you REALLY like the game then you can play for free through chronoscolls, how is that not a good deal?

GW2 you say the game adds content for free, and then you say you have to pay for the expansions.  So which is it? If expansions are content, then yes you have to pay for the content, which means that GW2 is NOT F2P.  Well you're complaining that cash shop just has cosmeetic stuff well all GW2's rewards is cosmetic stuff.  What makes the B2P model so great is that it relies heavily on people that can't read and can't do math.

I can read and I can do math, and it makes more sense pay once and get accesss to everything, and then only pay again if I feel like it.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by jpnole

First a brief history of my mmo burnouts and the time it took to set in. WoW took me 3 years, Rift 3 months, SWTOR 30 days and now we arrive at TERA. After trudging through the tutorial, getting to the mainland and beating up walking tree men until I hit level 2, I decided I have played this game before.  Save yourself the $50 and wait for TSW or GW2 as they are both likely to offer something new to the genre.  So if you still don't believe me go ahead and download the open beta client and see for yourself. This game had already been in release in the East so how could anyone think it would be the next big thing? It's like WoW, Rift, Lineage 2 and Aion all wrapped up in one and you will be happier watching GW2 videos on YouTube... believe me.

I found this games combat model to be absolutely intreging.  Sure its a HIgh Fantansy setting, but most MMO's are.  Its nice to see someone doing domething different then the tab targeting combat model.

Dragon Age I believe had a simpler verson of this combat system but it looked and played like a game for 10 year olds, it was cash shop driven and heavily heavily instanced.  The three things I most hate in MMO's.

Good for Tera, I hope this game does well.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

It astounds me that people think Guild Wars 2 isn't going to be similar to every other MMO already released, in fact the only thing GW2 haven't revolutionized anything - Every feature in GW2 can be found in every other MMO, they've simply combined them all together.

GW2 is so overhyped right now it's unbelievable, I'm pretty sure people don't know what Guild Wars 2 actually is - They have some ridiculous ideas of how good it will be with no evidence to support it other than vague statements by the developers that it will be 'different'.

Every game that's been overhyped has failed to live up to expectations, TERA wasn't overhyped and my expectations were met.

Have fun living the dream son.

Hi

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

I hope this game gains an audiance, this might be exactly what some folks are looking for.

I can't bring myself to pay for another subscription or could I.  Too many damn games being released this year.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

This is the best MMO I've played to date..

I've played ALL of them...

I've been playing non stop for the past 2 days. The combat is the best I've seen in an MMO in forever, and I am having a blast with PVP.. 

Haters are gonna hate, but this game destroys anything else out right now. I've been looking for a game like this for over a year.. its about time.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by afropuff420

Originally posted by jpnole

Originally posted by afropuff420

Did you get past newbie island? I know you said you made it to the main land, but then you say you killed tree guys until lvl 2. So i'm a bit cofused..

Baah you're right it was the first area out of the tutorial. Either way I stand by what I said.

Fair enough - everyone is entitled to their opinion. When I was on newbie island I found the game to be kinda cheesy, and somewhat boring. To be honest though, as soon as I made it to the actual mainland - I was pretty impressed with the game world, and how mature it seemed to be. By mature I simply mean that it went from a light hearted 'yay' type feeling, to a more serious 'we're at war' style of game.

It did?  I hit level 22 and it still feels a bit light hearted.  Plus, this game is all about combat, which is fine for those who want that.  But looking for exploration incentives or world type incentives like fishing or housing or deep customization, look elsewhere.  This game is flashy and combat can be fun, but that's about all.  The zones, while less linear than a game like SWTORs, still feel like tunnels with tons of mobs waiting to be mowed down.  

Quest hub to Quest hub is what your leveling experience will be.  So, it's a themepark in every sense of the word.  I'm glad it's "good enough" for people who just want that as it gives them a place to play, but I agree with the OP.  I'll be happier in a game like TSW and GW2 where it's more than just flashy graphics and newish combat styles.