Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swearing is now against the code of conduct..?

Comments

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by stringboi

Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

Originally posted by elocke

OP, do you find it hard to speak or type without using an expletive?  May want to think about that.  If it's in their rules, I have no issues with it and wish other games would do the same.  I actually like to hear the subject of a sentence not the vulgar expletives that tend to drown out the point of a conversation.

No, I'm just not liking the idea of being limited to what I say, I'm paying for the game, I should be allowed to say what I want.

This isn't maple story, it shouldn't have word filters. IMO anyways.

I think people should start watching what they say and how they carry themselves in game.  People nowadays think that just because they are behind a PC that they can act and do whatever they want.  Theres no reason to use foul language....there really isnt.  There are kids and others that do not want to hear that kind of talk in chat and you shouldnt assume that just because its ok with you, everyone should have to deal with it.  

You dont hear people using foul language elsewhere (for the most part, unless they have no manners)....why should it be any different in game?

Wow... just wow... I really take offense to how certain words are deemed "foul". I mean, you can be quite foul without using these so called "bad" words. They're just words. It's the context and meaning behind what you say that should matter. I have heard people in games say disqusting shit without ever using a "bad" word. So that's ok by you? Why don't we just run everything everyone says through a commitee, and then once it's approved, we can put it in chat. So if you say something, people may see it in a week or so. Way to push your personal beliefs on others. That's mature. I don't like it, so clearly no one else should either. The fact is, you have a choice just as you do in the real world to surround yourself with others who share your opinion on language, playstyle etc. If in the real world, you don't hang around with anyone who uses "FOUL LANGUAGE" well then, good for you. You can also do that in game, however,  to tell folks they can't use adult language is just crazy talk. 

I mean really.... Why is Fuck a bad word? Who said so? Society? As a whole? We all agreeded on this at some point? I have to say that I for one wasn't notified. So, who is the supreme chancellor of foul language? Can I get an email address? I have some valid arguments I would like to bring up. 

And as far as kids go, do you have any? Cause I do. I have a 4 y/o and guess what? He has heard "curse" words and foul langauge. But you know what else? He knows the difference between what he can say and what he can't because I as his parent taught him. So if you have a child playing a game, you as their parent have every right to tell them how to speak. Me on the other hand, don't tell me how to speak. What are you going to do, shield people forever from hearing bad things? If you don't like what people are saying, walk away or log off.  

I believe that the only thing a game has the responsibilty to do is add a filter and allow it to be on or off. Any game that starts policing everything someone says will  fail. If this is true about Tera, i will bet you any amount of money they stop and go back to the chat filter once they start loosing subs.. and they will. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Originally posted by Praetalus

Originally posted by stringboi

Originally posted by elocke

OP, do you find it hard to speak or type without using an expletive?  May want to think about that.  If it's in their rules, I have no issues with it and wish other games would do the same.  I actually like to hear the subject of a sentence not the vulgar expletives that tend to drown out the point of a conversation.

No, I'm just not liking the idea of being limited to what I say, I'm paying for the game, I should be allowed to say what I want.

This isn't maple story, it shouldn't have word filters. IMO anyways.

I think people should start watching what they say and how they carry themselves in game.  People nowadays think that just because they are behind a PC that they can act and do whatever they want.  Theres no reason to use foul language....there really isnt.  There are kids and others that do not want to hear that kind of talk in chat and you shouldnt assume that just because its ok with you, everyone should have to deal with it.  

You dont hear people using foul language elsewhere (for the most part, unless they have no manners)....why should it be any different in game?

Wow... just wow... I really take offense to how certain words are deemed "foul". I mean, you can be quite foul without using these so called "bad" words. They're just words. It's the context and meaning behind what you say that should matter. I have heard people in games say disqusting shit without ever using a "bad" word. So that's ok by you? Why don't we just run everything everyone says through a commitee, and then once it's approved, we can put it in chat. So if you say something, people may see it in a week or so. Way to push your personal beliefs on others. That's mature. I don't like it, so clearly no one else should either. The fact is, you have a choice just as you do in the real world to surround yourself with others who share your opinion on language, playstyle etc. If in the real world, you don't hang around with anyone who uses "FOUL LANGUAGE" well then, good for you. You can also do that in game, however,  to tell folks they can't use adult language is just crazy talk. 

I mean really.... Why is Fuck a bad word? Who said so? Society? As a whole? We all agreeded on this at some point? I have to say that I for one wasn't notified. So, who is the supreme chancellor of foul language? Can I get an email address? I have some valid arguments I would like to bring up. 

And as far as kids go, do you have any? Cause I do. I have a 4 y/o and guess what? He has heard "curse" words and foul langauge. But you know what else? He knows the difference between what he can say and what he can't because I as his parent taught him. So if you have a child playing a game, you as their parent have every right to tell them how to speak. Me on the other hand, don't tell me how to speak. What are you going to do, shield people forever from hearing bad things? If you don't like what people are saying, walk away or log off.  

I believe that the only thing a game has the responsibilty to do is add a filter and allow it to be on or off. Any game that starts policing everything someone says will  fail. If this is true about Tera, i will bet you any amount of money they stop and go back to the chat filter once they start loosing subs.. and they will. 

Yes, in fact that's exactly how it works, sorry you didn't get the memo.

C'mon, don't be intentionally obtuse, you know from common sense when it is appropriate to use the word fuck and when it isn't.

You don't need to appeal to a governing body for a rulling.

Socially acceptable, a simple concept, and of course one that changes over time and varies between cultures. 

Best thing to do is take a look at your surroundings and adapt to the situation you find yourself in.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Yes, do! I will be joining you this evening :)

For the Federation!

I will be joining you all after the pub and after our B movie. And hopefully they will have solved the server issues by then.

I'll be there as well, as soon as I can shake free from my day job.

I know how to swear, but more importantly, I know when and where it is more acceptable.

I remember the early MMO's there actually were GM's who would have monitored the in game chat and laid down bans for open swearing in them.  The good old days.

Of course that changed as time has gone by (I won't point fingers at any particular game with over 12M subs) and people forgot that swearing is neither a right nor ever necessary to get your point across in effective communication.

I'm not overly sensitive, I turn off the chat filter on all games but cringe sometimes at what gets discussed. (normally more from the content than the actual words themselves)

In the end, I'd like chat in games to be about... the game itself. I don't want to hear how MU is doing, or what you think about politics, religion, your sister's best friend, I want to hear about games.

If Tera is screening out profanity and handing out warnings, more power to them, I probably just added another month to my sub time for that.

So if we were playing a game, and I said, "damn, that mob is f**cking (filtered for ya) huge!" You would report me?

What you guys seem to be missing is that "curse" words and slang have become part of everyday speach. I know what you mean about when and where to curse, and I of course agree; but gaming is down time. It's meant to be relaxing, to let off steam. Someone is not a bad person just because they say to another friend at the end of a long day... "man, this was a shitty f**cking day".  That's completely normal and an accepted way amoungst friends to get your point accross is it not? Is the person who said that some type of  ne'er do well that you should aviold at all cost and report to the authorities?

Also, just wondering, do you guys watch only PG or G rated movies? Or do you find it acceptable in that medium to use any language the writer sees fit?  When you're watching a movie and someone curses, do you turn it off?

You mentioned "socially acceptable" before. So I ask you this: Look around you. Look at the "R" rated movies, the language in video games such as Modern Warfare, look at the comics, look at the art, guess what> The lanuage you're so offended by is everywhere. It's rampant.  It is socially acceptable. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Boatsmate

I'm retired from the US Navy, and I can carry on a conversation without swearing, and never do around people I don't know or may not want to hear that. I f I can do that, anyone can. Now drop and give me 30 for the Navy.

I was military too for 24 years and don't swear unless it's necessary (hammer on thumb). Not to stereotype but it seems kids nowadays have started swearing worse than sailors from the 50s. Not sure what brought it on but it may be our generations fault for not being able to whip the stuff out of them.  :D 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

So if we were playing a game, and I said, "damn, that mob is f**cking (filtered for ya) huge!" You would report me?

What you guys seem to be missing is that "curse" words and slang have become part of everyday speach. I know what you mean about when and where to curse, and I of course agree; but gaming is down time. It's meant to be relaxing, to let off steam. Someone is not a bad person just because they say to another friend at the end of a long day... "man, this was a shitty f**cking day".  That's completely normal and an accepted way amoungst friends to get your point accross is it not? Is the person who said that some type of  ne'er do well that you should aviold at all cost and report to the authorities?

Also, just wondering, do you guys watch only PG or G rated movies? Or do you find it acceptable in that medium to use any language the writer sees fit?  When you're watching a movie and someone curses, do you turn it off?

You mentioned "socially acceptable" before. So I ask you this: Look around you. Look at the "R" rated movies, the language in video games such as Modern Warfare, look at the comics, look at the art, guess what> The lanuage you're so offended by is everywhere. It's rampant.  It is socially acceptable. 

well "no" I wouldn't report you. If you were going on and on and insulting people and swearing at them and letting us know how you just found your  li'l pee pee then "yes" I would.

As far as becoming part of everday speech; I think you should tell that to every company that I've ever worked for. Because if you swear under your breath or as a simple expletive then probably nothing. IF everything out of yoru mouth was profanity you woudl be fired.

This really is common sense. I have as filthy a mouth as the next person. In some cases "more",  I also seem to be accutely aware of when it's appropriate and when it's not. I'm not sure why this is hard for some?

Regardless of whether you think it's "just words", some people and organizations are going to judge you on how you present yourself. Sorry, that's life. Can it be hypocritical? Are the people judging you saints? "yes" and probably not. But when you go into your job interview, lay down some profanity and tell the HR Rep that they are just words and they are part of every day culture I would wonder whether you would be called back.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

You cant swear in a game full of childs and prety ladies, you know, those who play elin and castanic...

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Swearing is something I'll engage in at the bar over a pint with some buddies (or on vent with the guys), but I'd find it shameful in any other social setting.

It's not a behavior anyone should be proudly displaying.

-2 cents

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

The whole issue of when is swearing acceptable is one of respect, I don't swear when I'm around people who aren't in my circle of friends, I respect the fact they might not like swearing, it's about manners, something that is also about respect and we don't see enough of. This whole thing about freedom of speech and imposing your language filter on me is just selfishness in my book, it's because you don't want to have to concern yourself with other peoples feelings about the language you use.

I come from a part of england where f**k is used every second word and much harsher words are used as a term of endearment but we were bought up to know when it's appropriate and when it isn't. I rate Tera for doing this it shows respect to those who don't want to see endless profanity in public chat. leave it to guild and party when you know it's around people who don't give a s**t. Show some respect, it's hardly an imposition unless you are incapable of expressing yourself in more eloquent ways.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Amjoco

I'm retired from the US Navy, and I can carry on a conversation without swearing, and never do around people I don't know or may not want to hear that. I f I can do that, anyone can. Now drop and give me 30 for the Navy.

I was military too for 24 years and don't swear unless it's necessary (hammer on thumb). Not to stereotype but it seems kids nowadays have started swearing worse than sailors from the 50s. Not sure what brought it on but it may be our generations fault for not being able to whip the stuff out of them.  :D 

I was a member of the military and I used to be the most foul mouthed individual you would ever meet. But, the day my son was born, I stopped all profanity and have not used a curse word around him in 18 years. He leaves for the Marines in a few months and he can leave our home knowing that his dad never once cursed around him as a child. I have found that replacing curse words with normal phrases is quite easy. when I now get mad or "hammer on thumb" my word of choice is MAN!

I think society has grown too tolerant of a lot of things. If I am out with my family in a "family" type restaraunt and Someone is using foul language around them, I quickly address it. Public places are no place to show off your disrespectful vocabulary. I won't allow my wife to be subjected to it.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Goddammit, s'bloody saviour's beard!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by bigsmiff

I was a member of the military and I used to be the most foul mouthed individual you would ever meet. But, the day my son was born, I stopped all profanity and have not used a curse word around him in 18 years. He leaves for the Marines in a few months and he can leave our home knowing that his dad never once cursed around him as a child. I have found that replacing curse words with normal phrases is quite easy. when I now get mad or "hammer on thumb" my word of choice is MAN!

That is quite the display of willpower, good sir.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by bigsmiff

If I am out with my family in a "family" type restaraunt and Someone is using fould language around them, I quickly address it. Public places are no place to show off your disrespectful vocabulary. I won't allow my wife to be subjected to it.

Good for you man. More people today need to take a stand.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

I like the quotes (unattributed)

"Profanity is for those who lack the creativity and intelligence to otherwise express themselves. "

and

"Profanity is used by simple minds trying to express simple thought "

Well done on En Masse!

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

"We reserve the right to refuse service to fucktards"

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

main playerbase is mainly kids (~14 yrs).

ofc you shouldn't swear there.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Buttski

main playerbase is mainly kids (~14 yrs).

ofc you shouldn't swear there.

I find that hard to believe for an M game. Perhaps the odd tenager here and there sure, but the majority are adults, as will the majority of mmorpg players.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Also! 

When the game launches, does everyone start out on the island as a level twenty then convert back to a level one?

I think that's kinda annoying.. People will just do that to check out classes now instead of trying themselves ><

Huh?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

this might be new but umm.. online games that have a ToS and RoC tend to make it pretty clear, swearing is not allowed.. while most games do not go so far as to add filter programs (which never really work as intended... "hello GM i need ******* " for example; when the filter takes out proper english do to 1 or more letters in a string.. [assistance]...ugh)

i personally dont see a problem with filters, other then the fact they never work.. or are way too touchy that you say Hello im nuts and you get filtered. 

given Tera is developed by an asian company, most likely its a carry over from their localization. as alot of asian  games now days have filters or something :/ that i have run across.

while i swear at randomly i personally do find it hard to carry on a conversation with someone who is flipping out over really pointless things (raid wipe, NPC quest log mess up.. ect.)

but to ask if its NOW against a RoC or ToS for Tera or any game... kinda pointless when it generally is :/

i dont like censors or filters but its generally required at somepoint ...

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

If you're just saying something like "effin eh" no one is going to report you and no one is going to really mind your use of language.

If you are chewing someone out because you're so much better than him and he's skill-less... than you are more likely to get reported.

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203

I really don't care if you can talk without swearing :P good for you ^^

All I'm saying is that it's annoying that we're being filtered, it'd be nice to be able to say what I want.

Freedom of speech doesn't give you the right to say what you want.  It gives you the right to voice an opinion.  If you can do so without swearing but you choose to swear then you can be punished for that if there is a punishment prescribed for using swear words.

I'm sure most of us would like to be able to say and do what we want, however unfortunately most of us cannot, its called life and we must learn to live with it.

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Guys are you really comparing a profanity filter to censorship?

This look to me as an insult to all those who have and will suffer from real censorship. 

I don't care for profanity filters in games, they are usually the first thing I disable, but when i play a game i know that i must submit to the rules of that game. In the case of TERA i turned of the area chat altogher.

You can choose not to play that game, come here and post on this forum complaining about those rules. That's is the freedom you are entitled too. If you are suggesting that developers/publishers should be prohibited to enforce the rules they see fit in their games, you are actually the one trying to limit their freedom in their own game.

More on topic, there are some players who have fun just spam profanity and insulting everyone on general chat (I'm not talking about OP of course), I'm sorry but I really don't see this as a display of freedom, I usually go with the old old good saying "my freedom ends where yours begins", you may want to swear all the time I may don't want to hear swearing all the time. So it's just common sense and education trying to avoid bad words in a public chat.

• JTST83JTST83 Member UncommonPosts: 38

For the record, Swearing isn't a freedom of speech issue, in fact, other peoples right trump your right to swear.

In other words, you're not allowed to swear if it offends someone else because then you're encroaching on their rights.

• DirkzenDirkzen Member Posts: 144

I think its kinda funny how much i'm hearing this 'freedom of speech' thing about a game thats based in Korea.  ..lol.. just sayin.

Anyhow.  Congrats to Tera for keeping thier game from turning into Xbox live. 

Its gonna be funny as crap listening to someone try to troll or argue with another player without resorting to swearing.

I'm really looking forward to this.  :)

Originally posted by Sovrath

well "no" I wouldn't report you. If you were going on and on and insulting people and swearing at them and letting us know how you just found your  li'l pee pee then "yes" I would.

As far as becoming part of everday speech; I think you should tell that to every company that I've ever worked for. Because if you swear under your breath or as a simple expletive then probably nothing. IF everything out of yoru mouth was profanity you woudl be fired.

This really is common sense. I have as filthy a mouth as the next person. In some cases "more",  I also seem to be accutely aware of when it's appropriate and when it's not. I'm not sure why this is hard for some?

Regardless of whether you think it's "just words", some people and organizations are going to judge you on how you present yourself. Sorry, that's life. Can it be hypocritical? Are the people judging you saints? "yes" and probably not. But when you go into your job interview, lay down some profanity and tell the HR Rep that they are just words and they are part of every day culture I would wonder whether you would be called back.

You don't' have to apologize to me. I have put myself in a position where I make ridiculous money and speak any way I see fit. If your life has put you into a job where words alone can get you fired... then my condolenses. Your argument is exactly what I'm talking about... I never said that I use foul language in games to insult or belittle folks. I just don't do that. However; as an expletive, such as "Holy shit look at that boss!" or "I can't believe that bastard killed me" -  I would use often. If you censor every word that is deemed "bad" then all of that stops. It's a ridiculous standard that cannot be upheld and it shouldn't. Like I said, if Tera is doing this, it won’t last long after release and they will default back to the filter. ke I said, if Tera is doing this, it won’t last long after release and they will default back to the filter. 

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

I got threatened to be kicked due to be swearing.. And it blocked my message.

Since when was this approveD?

So swearing is out but lollies in scanty panties aren't.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "