Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kickin' it TER-Oldschool

2»

Comments

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Its hard for games now day to balance grouping and soloing, I believe mmorpgs should be group focused, thats why your playing a mmorpgs instead of a normal rpg. However trying to cater to more casual gamer with less time, and ofc lazy people they have to make things soloable as well. Which i think Tera does a great job at, you can solo the quest just takes longer, and if you have to kill a BAM for storyline quest you can use kaira binding to weaken it to soloable stat. However to do dungeon you have to group, and for repeat BAM farm you have to group. Has a nice balance of solo and group =D.

Also you need more hot pink in your color coding and tons of highlights so it make you felt like you just ate some fruit loops after reading =D

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Don't let them get you down guys. Enjoy your game of choice. Odd that the same people that want to close every thread on GW2 forum that critisizes it, come here to give you guys a hard time for saying you are having fun playing the game your way.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Also you need more hot pink in your color coding and tons of highlights so it make you felt like you just ate some fruit loops after reading =D

I tried to keep it to a minimum while stioll getting my point across but you right, it could have used more flare image

Just not worth my time anymore.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Finally we get to play for real, I've been waiting a long time for this day to come.  Sad thing is I'm only going to be able to play for 2 hours before i have to go to work.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

No kidding! 10 weeks of three day tastes are finally paying off. Even without the new content up front I'd be excited. If I makes you feel an better I won't be able to play until about 10pm PST. I hope your day goes by fast though.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I get back home from work around 11:30pm and will probably log back in at midnight for a few more hours at least :p 

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by ropenice

Don't let them get you down guys. Enjoy your game of choice. Odd that the same people that want to close every thread on GW2 forum that critisizes it, come here to give you guys a hard time for saying you are having fun playing the game your way.

So true, as a fan of both games i'm trying to stay away from stupid controversy, but it really hard some times. I really don't get why people feel the need to go on the other game board to bash it...

I love Guild Wars and I play it since the relase of the GW1 ( I even get the collector of GW1 at release) but I must say i start to hate the gw2 community on this site, they seems to think that for GW2 to be a success every other game has to be smite to the ground. They act like fanatics, all this GW2 vs the world is start to really look like mass hysteria.

True, there are some tera fans on GW2 board as well, but i guess the problem is more pronounced here since GW2 fans are a lot more. I started to put annoying fans from both sides on ignore, but good God i have to block half forum at this point.

I don't see why is so hard to understand that a player can like both games for different reasons. And i don't understand why some ppl feel the need to post in a forum of a game they don't like just to bash it.

For example:

@itgrowls: you don't see the point to pay 15$ a month for this game? Fine just don't...

@Eir_s: You already made it clear that you don't like TERA in a lot of other posts (defining it meh, or sugar injected via your eyeballs), so why do you have to come here (on TERA board) and write something so useless and annoying like "That sounds incredibly boring"? I love BAM fights it's the main reason i like TERA, you don't like it? Don't play TERA, simple as that. You are one of the first to get pissed when some posters on GW2 forum do what you just did here...

Really guys have you ever heard the saying "live and let live" in our case would be more "play and let play".  I for one will play both games and I'm sure I will enjoy both for different reasons.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by SuperXero89

You're talking to a person who came from the original EverQuest, a game that bled adventure.  Everything about that game encouraged player interaction and interdependance.  Not even Lineage II made subscribers that dependant on each other. What you and Sovrath are describing can be done in any MMORPG, whether it's TERA, EverQuest, WoW, or LotRO.  This is not some implemented feature that you can use as a way to praise a certain game.

I'm glad that you enjoy mob grinding, but you don't have to sugar-coat your opinion to make it more than it really is.

Yes, this type of game play can be done in any game.

It's pretty much how I play mmo's as I usually just drop the quests all together.

Having said that, there is more of an old school feeling, at least for the moment, in Tera than some of the recent titles I've played. I think it's that feeling that some are reacting to.

No one is saying thisis a special feature. However, since the areas are large and one can feasibly, at a certain point, go to alternate areas to level, it feels like some older titles.

Some will like this and some won't.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Azmodai

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by skydiver12

Soloing a named BAM for 19 Minutes

That sounds incredibly boring.

Its not WOW, In TERA you've got to be on your toes the whole fight or you die very fast. Well I dont think that it would last 19 minutes for a Solo bam fight but his point still stands, Remember action Combat + aiming makes grinding a lot better than you think. 

I don't know if you're kidding or not.  The first boss fight I looked up on Youtube after someone mentioned how good the bosses look (and they look great) did not show any kind of movement based skills involved.

http://youtu.be/U9aBooolcYE

Now maybe I'm missing something (level, class, the boss itself), or my luck is just not very good when looking up these kinds of things, but that looks terribly dull.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

I was going to try the beta until someone mentioned that it's 24 gigs. That's a hefty load on my bandwith just for a weekend. 

Originally posted by Kehdar

@Eir_s: You already made it clear that you don't like TERA in a lot of other posts (defining it meh, or sugar injected via your eyeballs), so why do you have to come here (on TERA board) and write something so useless and annoying like "That sounds incredibly boring"? I love BAM fights it's the main reason i like TERA, you don't like it? Don't play TERA, simple as that. You are one of the first to get pissed when some posters on GW2 forum do what you just did here...

This has got to be the umpteenth time I've been told not to give my opinion on the Tera forums.  I stated that I could be wrong about the "BAM" fights I found through Youtube based on class or level - maybe the one fighting was a "tank" class.  I also had someone contest my post saying you have you be on your toes during those fights and in none of the videos did I see that happening.  Simple enough.  In light of your other comments though, I don't remember ever seeing GW2 fans tell Tera players to leave.  Whether I get pissed or not is not an issue, they have all the right in the world to express their views, and they do it every single day.

And now a simple comment has turned into this drama again.  Go ahead and report me for having an opinion.

Its not WOW, In TERA you've got to be on your toes the whole fight or you die very fast. Well I dont think that it would last 19 minutes for a Solo bam fight but his point still stands, Remember action Combat + aiming makes grinding a lot better than you think. 

I don't know if you're kidding or not.  The first boss fight I looked up on Youtube after someone mentioned how good the bosses look (and they look great) did not show any kind of movement based skills involved.

Now maybe I'm missing something (level, class, the boss itself), or my luck is just not very good when looking up these kinds of things, but that looks terribly dull.

Steparu was showing the movements of the crab and he is a Lancer which is less about dodging and more abotu blocking.  The video starts off with the crab at about 10% also so you see the amount of time it would take someone to solo it lol.

Here is a better video displaying the group aspect of a BAM fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxLG6szqRbk

Notice how the health bars fall if hit.

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Steparu was showing the movements of the crab and he is a Lancer which is less about dodging and more abotu blocking.  The video starts off with the crab at about 10% also so you see the amount of time it would take someone to solo it lol.

Now see, that wasn't hard at all.  No one told me to leave or insulted me, they proved me wrong by showing me that I'd missed something (or was right about the lancer class).  Obviously some classes are more capable of solo'ing than others.  Thank you Deron, that was a much more interesting fight than the ones I found.

This has got to be the umpteenth time I've been told not to give my opinion on the Tera forums.  I stated that I could be wrong about the "BAM" fights I found through Youtube based on class or level - maybe the one fighting was a "tank" class.  I also had someone contest my post saying you have you be on your toes during those fights and in none of the videos did I see that happening.  Simple enough.  In light of your other comments though, I don't remember ever seeing GW2 fans tell Tera players to leave.  Whether I get pissed or not is not an issue, they have all the right in the world to express their views, and they do it every single day.

And now a simple comment has turned into this drama again.  Go ahead and report me for having an opinion.

I don't think i said "you should be reported" or "you have to leave", so you may be the one who should turn the drama down a noch. You are entitled to your opinion, but saying "That sounds incredibly boring" or comments like this every time doesn't help the discussion at all, is really close to the "this game sux" so why even bothering writing it? 

If you have something to say that add to the conversation i'm ready to listen, but if you just come here as revenge for the TERA fans trolling the GW2 forum you are not better than them.

Anyway you made it clear what do you think of this game, don't worry no one on this forum will ever think you may like TERA, if this is what worries you.

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Now see, that wasn't hard at all.  No one told me to leave or insulted me, they proved me wrong by showing me that I'd missed something (or was right about the lancer class).  Obviously some classes are more capable of solo'ing than others.  Thank you Deron, that was a much more interesting fight than the ones I found.

No worries, glad to help.  That last one was with a Lancer.  If you want to live more on the wild side a Warrior makes it a little more interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWWT2yNiDL4

Granted, as a Warrior you shoudln't be turing the mob all the way around but since Warriors are evasion tanks and have no block the right and left dodging will lead to a little more movement overall.

Really? Insulted? Where did I insulted you?

Anyway the lancer may look easy but if he choose the wrong time to shield himself he get full damage, damage mitigation in this game doesn't ave your life and keeping the shield up cost mana every hit you block.

Soloing with lancer is really not a good idea cause lancers have a low damage output, killing anything will require lot of time.

If you want to see why i find it fun to kill BAM you should look for some sorc vs BAM video, witha sorc an enraged BAM can one shot you, so if you make a mistake you are death, for me that exciting. 

I don't think i said "you should be reported" or "you have to leave", so you may be the one who should turn the drama down a noch. You are entitled to your opinion, but saying "That sounds incredibly boring" or comments like this every time doesn't help the discussion at all, is really close to the "this game sux" so why even bothering writing it? 

If you have something to say that add to the conversation i'm ready to listen, but if you just come here as revenge for the TERA fans trolling the GW2 forum you are not better than them.

Anyway you made it clear what do you think of this game, don't worry no one on this forum will ever think you may like TERA, if this is what worries you.

There's really no need for drama at all, so I'm sorry if my boring comment upset anyone, I just thought of hitting a boss for 19 minutes as a class that didn't need to move to avoid damage and it just seemed boring to me, BUT..... I will say that my interest in Tera raised a notch with the news of the revamped starting area(s).  I may like Tera, I usually give games a fair shake, but no I didn't find the beta I participated in that exciting.  As Deron proved, I could stand to learn a few things if I'm going to comment, sure, but that doesn't mean I came here just to rile people up.  I only hesitate to download the full client again because downloading from the main site took a long time (their connection, not mine, since a buddy on a higher speed connection took forever too).

Soloing with lancer is really not a good idea cause lancers have a low damage output, killing anything will require lot of time.

Ah, that's what I was wondering as well.  Usually tank classes are weak on offense.  I'm sure the fight would go much faster with a warrior, etc.

Ah, that's what I was wondering as well.  Usually tank classes are weak on offense.  I'm sure the fight would go much faster with a warrior, etc.

Well warriors are the hardest class to play on TERA and they are not exactly warriors liek the ones in other game... they are more close to a rogue but since they can also tank they don't have the same dps output, they have around 75% dps if compared to the other DD classes.

Ttanking as warrior is not easy at all either cause yoiu are wearing leather so if a boss hit you it really hurts... Warrior tanking is all about dodging and not getting hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8jpQ07kzw8

This video is a great guide on how to tank with warriors. 

PS: If you are confused on why sometime instead of dodging he just jumps and hits with a crossed slash, it's cause that skill (Death from above) makes the warrior immune to dmg for the time he's jumping.