Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Same gear at endgame a bad thing?

124»

Comments

• jakeshiptonjakeshipton Member UncommonPosts: 7

@ OP and anyone else who is annoyed at the lack of gear grinding

While it is true that gear is relatively equal at each level there is still raid that give awesome gear however the better gear has more specific stats, so for example say one armor set may give 100 power 100 toughness 100 vitality 100 precision, where as harder to get raid gear is less distributed allowing you to customise your character more with say 300 power 100 toughness.

So though the equipment is statistically equal it allows for a much more personal level of customisation.

Also the really hard to get raid gear looks much much nicer. The image is of the level 30 raid weapons.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by Stimos8

Yeah understandable but heres the thing, you would be surprised how many people see it the way i do, the majority of Mmo players, just saying that in a few months i dont think there will be many people playing it. And yes there are other games that do this, unfortunately i would hardly call wow one of them... giving out gear and not obtaining it to do the next raid etc... is worse then no gear at all. Because it removes previous raids and contents from being needed/ done. Even if Gw2 is a Pvp based game, it would still get boring to do the same thing over and over hitting the same every time, not balancing out stats etc...

See this is the point where you kinda put off your opinion like that is what everyone thinks. The original GW title sold something like 7 million copies.

I for one DO NOT want another gear grind. I am perfectly happy with pvp, social fluff and cosmetic items. I do not want to be forced to raid to stay competative in the pvp realm

I can sleep peacefully knowing that the GW2 development team has no interests in "another" raiding gear grind. There are plenty of games that cater to your kind already.

• Skyy_HighSkyy_High Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 138

GW1 did the "easy to get max stats, hard to get best looks" design well. There is NO reason for ANet to chase the same group of players who long for massive gear treadmills, because there is no way they'd be able to beat WoW et al at that game. 

[QUOTE]what singles out each player, i mean its a "semi-action" based combat game, so its not going to be solely based on skill, like Tera.[/QUOTE]

I think you need to watch some more videos. Combat effectiveness will be directly linked to player skill.

If you really think you NEED a gear grind to play a game....well, I personally think you need to reevaluate why you play games, but if you're absolutely positive that gear grinds (and specifically gear grinds for STATISTICALLY superior gear) are the only way to keep you playing a game long-term...GW2 probably isn't for you. Sorry, it's true. This is basic frickin design here, and it's not changing. You'll be able to grind for shiny stuff, and there will be a ton of other content for you to explore, but if your first and only priority is to jump on the treadmill ASAP and run for that carrot so you can lord it over everybody else....nope, this isn't your game. Best you find out now, rather than whine about it later. 

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

In GW1 you could use this armor from level 20 (roughly 1/3 the way through the game)

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Warrior_Ascalon_armor_m.jpg

Or grind for this gear:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Warrior_Silver_Eagle_armor_m.jpg

The only difference being appearance.  The availability of Level, enhancements, etc. were the same across the armor.  Each player chose what few buffs were available, generally based on play style, but that was it.  Does one make you more OP than another player, or able to do more in the game?  Nope.  Where players shined in GW1 was when they came together in teams in PvE or PvP and through skillfull use of their builds cleaned house.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

*sigh*

People will buy GW2, people won't buy GW2. People will play it, people won't play it. We'll all bitch sooner or later.

W/E.

I know the game will be fun. I don't care if it's for 1 month or 60 months. I'm leaning on the 3-6 month timeframe myself, but again, w/e floats your boat.  It's still going to be worth playing.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Role Playing games have existed for 40 years.  Most of those games do not have any type of gear grind. A good many people play MMORPGs because there's nothing else to play.  Every poll I"ve read states that people hate "endgame" raids and endless grind. Up until the GW2 came out,  havn't met so many people who love the grind.  

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by coretex666
    So people who want upgrades in MMO in terms of gear are brainwashed now?
    Exactly. Everyone who seriously thinks that "gear > skill" model is a good thing is brainwashed.

I realize that there will always be scrubs who laugh at the very notion of learning to play. They are the worst kind of scrubs because they never even try to get past their obsession with gear. In GW2 such people will get their ..... handed to them several dozens of times, QQ on the forums and move on. Hopefully, this will leave the game with a healthy community of people who have at least minimal "mouse skill" and at least basic understanding of how group PvP actually works.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Well heres the problem, alot of people, like myself love the gear grinds at endgame, infact thats what i mainly play MMORPG's for, definitely not for the leveling... So what will endgame be like? how will you get rewarded, competition for the most gold or? what singles out each player, i mean its a "semi-action" based combat game, so its not going to be solely based on skill, like Tera.

What an awful argument.  You point out that TERA has a gear grind, meaning some people will be vastly more powerful than others simply on the virtue of having gone through an arduous end-game grind, then you say the game is solely skill based.

That makes absolutely no sense, congratulations if that's what you were going for.  If you can obtain powerful gear, that makes you less likely to have to use skill, ala WoW, where scrubs can rock your face if they have the right gear, your own skill at the game be damned.  Yours is nothing but a poorly disguised troll post blanketed by terrible logic.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

...every player being similar makes no sence, people play Mmorpg's because of that main difference you can gain against other players, because of how it feels to win that awesome weapon etc....

LOL.... is this.... is this actually serious?

Are there really people ACTUALLY coming out of the woodwork now in a guildwars forum...  who are just going to just... "Put this out there"?    I mean... Totally disregarding the oldest tenets of "Practice makes Perfect" and just substitute in this ... Bullshit Fallacy ... that's really only existed in just the last 15 years actually (ever since Diablo basically) that Gear = Fun.

Hell I like Diablo and played the hell out of it... but it didn't change the fact that once I beat it on ever Diff...  It FELT DONE.   That challenge WAS THE FUCKING END GAME.   <---   Sorry for the explitives but it just can't get any simpler than that.   You play a game for the CHALLENGE.  And the whole reason you don't let people endlessly farm better and beter Gear/powerTeirs is b/c it just makes the rest of the game less Challenging.   ...Now obviously no one needs to explain to the OP how that's important for PvP b/c he already owned up to it.   But in PvE in Guildwars1,  the Endgame actually stays challenging b/c there is no stats treadmill.   Is there Appearance grind?  Yeah for some people but the Armor was usually pretty Fugly so who cares.   So that's the answer:

Challenge is your Reward.  

Don't like Challenge?  Why are you here?  Why even ask question in a game forum for a game who's entire Manifesto is about undoing all the compulsive awkward bullshit that's infected MMO's over the past 12 years?  It tells you right on the front page:   If you don't like Typical MMORPG, you'll like this more.  Why would anyone come here expecting a Gear Treadmill???

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

Originally posted by dontadow

Role Playing games have existed for 40 years.  Most of those games do not have any type of gear grind. A good many people play MMORPGs because there's nothing else to play.  Every poll I"ve read states that people hate "endgame" raids and endless grind. Up until the GW2 came out,  havn't met so many people who love the grind.  

They are just a vocal minority. The majority than comes to a thread created by a minority and defends it. It is a never ending cycle no matter what topic :) especially cash shop

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

*sigh*

People will buy GW2, people won't buy GW2. People will play it, people won't play it. We'll all bitch sooner or later.

W/E.

I know the game will be fun. I don't care if it's for 1 month or 60 months. I'm leaning on the 3-6 month timeframe myself, but again, w/e floats your boat.  It's still going to be worth playing.

Now if we could only convert Jesus to play it.. *sigh*

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by lokiboard

Originally posted by Buttski

there are more than enough geargrind mmos around. why don't you play one of those?

You want to grind.....Lineage 2 grind.....  *eyeroll .....GL.... image

Or they could play WoW... Better yet he can go get into a linkshell in FFXI and do Sky or Sea or whatever else they have now.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by pacov

Originally posted by dontadow

They are just a vocal minority. The majority than comes to a thread created by a minority and defends it. It is a never ending cycle no matter what topic :) especially cash shop

True, true.  It does shake my head and make me realize why this thing hasn't gone away.  Both the concept of grind and people who enjoy the infinitive carrot.