Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will animation lock ever be removed?

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by spaceport

Originally posted by Kuppa

And while we are at it, EME should also remove open world PVP and make everyone fight in a big instance.

Wuldn't that be fun? it sounds like fun

oh and a cash shop with megaphones!! brilliant! that sounds SO FUN

Now go to the The Secet World forum and ask them to change the setting into fantasy,  it would also be more "fun"!

You know while we are at it, they should add something more dynamic to the standard quest and probably have some story...like at all. image

You mean like the Rifts they are adding in the next update?

Oh and Tera does have a story, maybe if you botter to read it...

Oh wait, are you saying that if it's not in VOs, it doesn't have a story?

Man i don't even like this game, too shallow for me, and yet i look like a fanboy while talking to this GW2 fanatics.

We get it, if X is not like in GW2 it sucks, can't wait for GW2 to come so you guys stop flooding every forum complanining about how this MMO isn't an MMO-lite like GW2.

Animation lock being a bad thing is the new buzzword ever since "moving out of the way" is enough for a game to have action combat.

Oohohoh, wow also has action combat now!

Progression in an MMO is bad = Check

Progression in PVP is also bad = Check

Having roles in a role playing game is bad = Check

Monthly subs are evil, let's praise to the god of cash shop to save us from greedy developers = Check

What's next? open world PVP is for gankers only? mounts are useless and no game should have them?

Really, im curious.

Are you really going to base any argument using Tera's story as backup? I believe hardcore Tera fans know that's not Tera's strong suit. 

And may I ask you, when in this entire thread have I mentioned GW2....I only glanced at it because you did. You need to keep your GW2 hate in check my friend.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

And while we are at it, EME should also remove open world PVP and make everyone fight in a big instance.

Now go to the The Secet World forum and ask them to change the setting into fantasy,  it would also be more "fun"!

You know while we are at it, they should add something more dynamic to the standard quest and probably have some story...like at all. image

Man i don't even like this game, too shallow for me, and yet i look like a fanboy while talking to this GW2 fanatics.

We get it, if X is not like in GW2 it sucks, can't wait for GW2 to come so you guys stop flooding every forum complanining about how this MMO isn't an MMO-lite like GW2.

Animation lock being a bad thing is the new buzzword ever since "moving out of the way" is enough for a game to have action combat.

Monthly subs are evil, let's praise to the god of cash shop to save us from greedy developers = Check

What's next? open world PVP is for gankers only? mounts are useless and no game should have them?

Really, im curious.

Are you really going to base any argument using Tera's story as backup? I believe hardcore Tera fans know that's not Tera's strong suit. 

And may I ask you, when in this entire thread have I mentioned GW2....I only glanced at it because you did. You need to keep your GW2 hate in check my friend.

Let's not kid ourselves, you would have never made this thread in the GW2 forums if GW2 had animation lock.

In fact, you would still be here complaining why this game doesn't have animation locks.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

Really, im curious.

Let's not kid ourselves, you would have never made this thread in the GW2 forums if GW2 had animation lock.

In fact, you would still be here complaining why this game doesn't have animation locks.

I would have, not sure what your MO is but you have been making asumptions like crazy. Get of your victim pedestal sir...

Really, im curious.

I would have, not sure what your MO is but you have been making asumptions like crazy. Get of your victim pedestal sir...

Let me ask you 1 question.

Would you buy and play this game if the combat didn't have animation locks?

Let me make 2 last asumptions: No, why botter with GW2 so close.

See the trend here my friend? you don't really want to play this game but you still complain about how X is not like GW2.

I don't go to the EVE forums and bash the game because i can't be a special snowflake like the guild leaders of top guilds after 1 month of playing the game, nor do i go the the The Secret World forums to complain about the setting.

Tera strong point is the combat amongst other things, why would anyone want to make it more like WOW where you can just bunny hop and mash keys with no strategy?

Hell remove the animation lock and all that we have left is a generic themepark with over the top artstyle, oldschool PVP and better group content in the open world than single player quest grind.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

I know it's a bit off topic but I think the topic has been answered to a point.

I won't speak to the side quests in TERA because I don't do them but the main story quest and the lore in general is just fine.  Again, I'm speaking about the story itself, not how it's implemented in the quests.  I only need a setting to play, not be the main character in someone elses book.

It's funny that TERA keeps being labled as is a "generic" or "same 'ol" game when based upon this thread it's combat and gameplay are pretty different.  Both require more from the player than to simply be there.  I don't like my game telling me what to do all the time.

Just not worth my time anymore.

Really, im curious.

See the trend here my friend? you don't really want to play this game but you still complain about how X is not like GW2.

I don't go to the EVE forums and bash the game because i can't be a special snowflake like the guild leaders of top guilds after 1 month of playing the game, nor do i go the the The Secret World forums to complain about the setting.

Tera strong point is the combat amongst other things, why would anyone want to make it more like WOW where you can just bunny hop and mash keys with no strategy?

Hell remove the animation lock and all that we have left is a generic themepark with over the top artstyle, oldschool PVP and better group content in the open world than single player quest grind.

I would definately not buy it even without animation locks. The rest of the game is the problem for me, with that said if and when it goes f2p I would definately get it. Thats why I follow this game.

The issue you have is you think everyone is a GW2 fanboi and think your a victim. If you would get off your defensive attitude you might have more constructive arguments about games with folks. There are many Tera fans here who I can have a discussion without having to worry about a sissy fit about GW2....unfortunately I see your not one of em.

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

I won't speak to the side quests in TERA because I don't do them but the main story quest and the lore in general is just fine.  Again, I'm speaking about the story itself, not how it's implemented in the quests.  I only need a setting to play, not be the main character in someone elses book.

It's funny that TERA keeps being labled as is a "generic" or "same 'ol" game when based upon this thread it's combat and gameplay are pretty different.  Both require more from the player than to simply be there.  I don't like my game telling me what to do all the time.

I completely agree that the combat is what sets it apart. Many people say its generic though because everything else about the game is generic, to be honest the first time I saw it it reminded me a lot of Aion. And still that is an opinion, but its hard to make a case for the rest of the game not being generic :(

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88

I've never tried this game, so I can't really say myself, but other games I play give the option as a handicap that " stops the user from moving while skill is activating to prevent miss chance".

now on the other hand one can un-check that handicap which enables you to move freely, but as per the situation, you are moving you induct a chance to miss, or preform the skill eneffectivly.

This needs to be understood, all I 've read is buncha whine.

Edit:

To put in First person shooter terms, ones bullet spread accuracy Will be diminished while moving. 

You wonder why they put the handicap to put on the breaks while you use a skill in Mmorpg? Because you're un-able to slow down and think about the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_game_difficulty_balancing

Really, im curious.

I would definately not buy it even without animation locks. The rest of the game is the problem for me, with that said if and when it goes f2p I would definately get it. Thats why I follow this game.

The issue you have is you think everyone is a GW2 fanboi and think your a victim. If you would get off your defensive attitude you might have more constructive arguments about games with folks. There are many Tera fans here who I can have a discussion without having to worry about a sissy fit about GW2....unfortunately I see your not one of em.

Sorry if i sound deffensive, obviously English isn't my first lenguage and sometimes i use words that i think they mean something but they end up meaning something different :P

Honest questing, why don't you like animation locks? why would it be better to not have them? 

It's weird that i see so many people complaining about a "true action game" being less action because it has animation locks... and i say it's weird because the most famous and renowed action games, all of them have animation locks.

Darksiders, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Monster Hunter... etc etc etc

Now suddenly it's a bad thing, and oh look, GW2 doesn't have animation locks! what a coincidence :P

otacu

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Originally posted by Azmodai

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Originally posted by stayontarget

Most people are so used to tab targeting games where movement is nothing more than fluff,  hence the reason they find it hard to change.

The OP is talking about animation lock. last i checked animation lock and tab targetting were two completely different things

No its the same thing exatly, In tab target games Moving is not essential so staying still or animation lock does not matter but in TERA its made difficult and using skills has consequences (such as the animation lock) People are too used to the old Tab target and cant get it into their head yet. This game is not Button mash so DEAL WITH IT. 

Deal with it? lol, i dont even plan on playing tera. i can play asian games for free. why pay for this one. and its not the same thing...in most mmos ive played, i can stand perfectly still and tab target indefinately. not that i would want to, but.

Good for you. So why you here in TERA forums?

It's rather simple though, you don't like the gameplay and mechanics - Don't play TERA.

I completely agree that the combat is what sets it apart. Many people say its generic though because everything else about the game is generic, to be honest the first time I saw it it reminded me a lot of Aion. And still that is an opinion, but its hard to make a case for the rest of the game not being generic :(

I don't agree with that but it's a matter of opinion I guess.  I think the whole game itself sets it apart and does things right to be honest.  To me the combat is great and it brings everything together but is not TERAs only selling point.

I've never tried this game, so I can't really say myself, but other games I play give the option as a handicap that " stops the user from moving while skill is activating to prevent miss chance".

now on the other hand one can un-check that handicap which enables you to move freely, but as per the situation, you are moving you induct a chance to miss, or preform the skill eneffectivly.

Edit:

To put in First person shooter terms, ones bullet spread accuracy Will be diminished while moving. 

You wonder why they put the handicap to put on the breaks while you use a skill in Mmorpg? Because you're un-able to slow down and think about the game.

I don't agree with that but it's a matter of opinion I guess.  I think the whole game itself sets it apart and does things right to be honest.  To me the combat is great and it brings everything together but is not TERAs only selling point.

Its got a few things here and there like the political system. But I find that the main things in any mmo, what you do all the time: Combat, questing, exploration, socializing, crafting and pvp. I believe it only enhances one of them the rest are good and fine but generic, ie. almost exaclty like other mmos. 

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Animation lock is a good thing.  Without it, the combat would be really silly, with people just running around in circles spamming.  With animation lock the game becomes very tactical.  Tera does combat very well and they don't need to mess with it, they should focus attention on the game's actual flaws.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

@Kuppa (sorry, back on phone)

Those are indeed the key points of an MMO and why I am playing TERA. You could point to other MMOs picking this and that out and compare it to TERA but what makes TERA shine beyond us that they are on one title. That's what makes it not generic. Usually you have to choose one good aspect for others in MMOs but they bring it all together in TERA.

Combat and the political system (small things like gathering buffs) are totally unique to TERA but the fact it gathers all these other features makes the whole package unique.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

can anyone explain to me the animation lock ? 

I haven't played it yet.. but as it seems is like in action games combat... where if you start a combo you must wait it to finish so you can move on with another move. Is this like that ?

If you playd God of War , Devil may cry, moster hunter you will understand what i'm asking.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Elandir90

can anyone explain to me the animation lock ? 

I haven't played it yet.. but as it seems is like in action games combat... where if you start a combo you must wait it to finish so you can move on with another move. Is this like that ?

If you playd God of War , Devil may cry, moster hunter you will understand what i'm asking.

Ya its like monster hunter, if you start swinging yoru gaint sword you have to wait for the swing to finish before you can move. Basically most skill or even basically attack you use cause you to stop moving which is the core of most action combat games. Idk why people consider it not action combat b ecause from what i seen you can't run while swing yoru sword in monster hunter and thats one of the best and most diffcult action combat game out there. Also some expections such as you can break out of certain combo/skill with dodge/block.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

well, then it seems ok.. 

if the combat feels like a proper Action game i'll be glad to test it.  And if the combat is like that animation lock is a must ! as in any action game. If you remove the animation lock it`ll be just a click fest.

An additional point is that some of the standard swings and abilities move you forward so it's not as stand still as it sounds. It's not everyone's cup of tea though so it's best to try it out if it seems interesting. Open Beta ftw!

Originally posted by Elandir90

well, then it seems ok.. 

if the combat feels like a proper Action game i'll be glad to test it.  And if the combat is like that animation lock is a must ! as in any action game. If you remove the animation lock it`ll be just a click fest.

exactly but appearly people don't get it -.-

Edit:

Am i glitched or that guy just post 3 of the exact same post?

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Am i glitched or that guy just post 3 of the exact same post?

It's like a glitch in the matrix.

L2P TERA combat:

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Since animation lock has been explained already, I thought I would take a shot at the "5 year old girl" swinging a giant axe.

Lore: Elin are spiritual creatures (not human), who are inmortal and very powerful. They were made to protect nature, and were also made to look like the animals they were set to protect. So they have distinct bunny, cat, dog, bear features. They are mainly peaceful, but once the Aran (bad guys) started poluting the planet and infecting it with their mechanical strains, they took up arms to defend the planet.

So, its not a 5 year old girl... it's a couple thousand year old beast/human looking hybrid that is PO and not taking names. So.. yeah, I do see em swinging a giant axe just as easily as I see em uprooting a tree.

Originally posted by Sephastus

Since animation lock has been explained already, I thought I would take a shot at the "5 year old girl" swinging a giant axe.

Lore: Elin are spiritual creatures (not human), who are inmortal and very powerful. They were made to protect nature, and were also made to look like the animals they were set to protect. So they have distinct bunny, cat, dog, bear features. They are mainly peaceful, but once the Aran (bad guys) started poluting the planet and infecting it with their mechanical strains, they took up arms to defend the planet.

So, its not a 5 year old girl... it's a couple thousand year old beast/human looking hybrid that is PO and not taking names. So.. yeah, I do see em swinging a giant axe just as easily as I see em uprooting a tree.

expect people decide to completely ignore the lore because they feel they are 5 year old girls -.- i wonder why there is even lore if everyone just going to want to make up their own preception and total ignore the offical lore =

Ironicly some of these people are the same one thats say Tera need better story/lore.....