Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will animation lock ever be removed?

Comments

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Any legit fighting game (as in ones that have tournament circuits) have this animation lock. TERA is trying to go this route so I doubt they will dumb their game down unless they are losing a ton of subs from it.

Some legit fighting games also have the ability to break/speed up animations to cause longer combo chains at the cost of energy. 

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I really feel like no one understands how fundamental this is to the game. If there isn't an animation lock whats stopping anyone from spamming all of their skills with no chance of getting hit by side stepping? Sorry but this is a dumb thread. No different than a global cool down and in a realistic sense you wouldnt be able to do block at the same time that you are swinging a giant axe in a 360 motion. Get your refund.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Originally posted by baritone3k

Originally posted by Azmodai

Originally posted by stayontarget

Most people are so used to tab targeting games where movement is nothing more than fluff,  hence the reason they find it hard to change.

The OP is talking about animation lock. last i checked animation lock and tab targetting were two completely different things

No its the same thing exatly, In tab target games Moving is not essential so staying still or animation lock does not matter but in TERA its made difficult and using skills has consequences (such as the animation lock) People are too used to the old Tab target and cant get it into their head yet. This game is not Button mash so DEAL WITH IT. 

Deal with it? lol, i dont even plan on playing tera. i can play asian games for free. why pay for this one. and its not the same thing...in most mmos ive played, i can stand perfectly still and tab target indefinately. not that i would want to, but.

Hahah.

This one tickled me.

Do you classify all asian games as the same?

Then why play Mario Galaxies when you have aready bought and own and can play Super Mario Bros. for free on your Nintendo. Then you wouldn't have to buy a Wii.

Actually, you could expand that stupidity to anything.

Why by a Nintendo to play Super Mario Bros. when I can play with my dinky for free?

TERA is as different from free "asian games" as Halo is from Halo 3.

How stupid does this sound? " I have an Xbox and Halo I bought 9 years ago. Why would I buy an Xbox 360 to play Halo 3 when I already have Halo?"

That is the level of apples to oranges stupid your comment sounds.

i dont want to derail this thread, but i need to respond...what i'm saying is Tera, to me is just another asain game that looks to me like so many other asian games... you are charged full price for the download then you pay 15 a month. seems to me the majority of asain mmos are ftp and free to download as well. why would you call me stupid because i think Tera looks and plays like asain games? it has an asain feel because its asain, lol. if i want that, i'd play Aion. in fact i do...at least untill GW2 and TSW come out. its far more compelling and has far more content to be had early in the game. Tera is absolutely horrible in this regard. the beginning quests and the first dungeon i played were the worst ive seen. At least Aion's 1st dungeon showed some imagination.

I could care less that Tera has action combat. so what? is that suppose to make the game?

What i posted was my opinion....so you say i'm stupid for what i think??  i guess because you call me stupid, that means you're also calling everyone who's ever posted their opoinion on these forums stupid also.

From what i gathered from your post, you arent playing Tera solely because its Asians. Sounds like a good non racist reason.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    @Kuppa

I agree with Viking on this. The combat system in TERA was intended to be like it is. In a game where there can be constant PvP allowing everyone to freely run and use abilities would trivialize the combat tremendiously. It sounds great in theory but it's not a good idea.

I think most of the anti-rooting sentiment is based on level 10-12 gameplay. There is a Warrior video thread that on these forums that illustrates the use of certain abilities carrying over to others and how to improve mobility with "attack speed" enhancing gear/crystals.

Just not worth my time anymore.

Oh and TERA is to Aion what Aion was to "Typical Asian Grinders". TERA is exponentially better and the fact that people gloss over what the game offers because it's made in Korean is hilarious. I'm honestly surprised people post it.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

It seems like folks have their mind set on supporting the lock no matter what. Even though I like the combat system I believe it could benefit from not having the lock. Its really not that complicated, there are f2p games(dragons nest) that already have it. Once a big AAA mmo like Tera comes along and actually gives us movement in combat WITH aiming then we will all know how good it could be image

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by Kuppa

It seems like folks have their mind set on supporting the lock no matter what. Even though I like the combat system I believe it could benefit from not having the lock. Its really not that complicated, there are f2p games(dragons nest) that already have it. Once a big AAA mmo like Tera comes along and actually gives us movement in combat WITH aiming then we will all know how good it could be image

I think this is more about opinion.

I don't support removing it because having it "makes it good".

Removing it will make it feel like a cheap arcade game. In my eyes anway.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139

I liked this guy's quote. Imma gonna leave this up in here.

I dare anyone to go outside with their snow shovel, and run down the street as fast as you can, swinging the shovel in front of you with all the force you'd need to cleave a man in two, without seriously injuring yourself.

Then, come back and tell me that TERA's animations aren't "true" enough for their advertisement of "true action combat." Tell me that it's "more logical" for our characters to be able to do that while swinging real weapons that weight 10 times what your little plastic shovel weighs, and while jumping and flipping through the air to boot.

TERA advertises "true" action combat. Not "completely fantastical" combat. Combat isn't "broken" or "chunky" because you can't constantly sprint or bunny hop everywhere. Some of us might call it "tactical," because you can't just spam every ability you have, whenever you feel like, with impunity. You actually have to, you know, time them carefully, and use them in the appropriate situations so you don't get burned by your locked in animation.

-Travail.

L2P TERA combat:

Originally posted by Himemiya

I dare anyone to go outside with their snow shovel, and run down the street as fast as you can, swinging the shovel in front of you with all the force you'd need to cleave a man in two, without seriously injuring yourself.

Then, come back and tell me that TERA's animations aren't "true" enough for their advertisement of "true action combat." Tell me that it's "more logical" for our characters to be able to do that while swinging real weapons that weight 10 times what your little plastic shovel weighs, and while jumping and flipping through the air to boot.

TERA advertises "true" action combat. Not "completely fantastical" combat. Combat isn't "broken" or "chunky" because you can't constantly sprint or bunny hop everywhere. Some of us might call it "tactical," because you can't just spam every ability you have, whenever you feel like, with impunity. You actually have to, you know, time them carefully, and use them in the appropriate situations so you don't get burned by your locked in animation.

-Travail.

So the combat in Tera is "true" action combat because a small girl (Elin) can hold a 200 pound axe but CAN'T move while swinging...of course moving while swinging makes the combat "completely fantastical" but an Elin holding a huge weapon in the first place is "true" action combat....right

Tera isn't a simulator, this guy is basically using "realism" as an argument in a game that is "completely fantastical". And btw, thats not what the "true" in "true action combat" stands for image

@Kuppa

DN has been brought up as a comparison but there are aspects in TERA that are not in DN. One is the available skills. As was brought up allowing these moves in the run would totally throw off class balance.

The other is OWPvP which DN doesn't have and run & gun would indeed IMO cheapen TERA.

I agree with you that it would be fun for a while but I believe over time it wouldn't feel that much better than tab target spamming.

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

@Kuppa

DN has been brought up as a comparison but there are aspects in TERA that are not in DN. One is the available skills. As was brought up allowing these moves in the run would totally throw off class balance.

The other is OWPvP which DN doesn't have and run & gun would indeed IMO cheapen TERA.

I agree with you that it would be fun for a while but I believe over time it wouldn't feel that much better than tab target spamming.

I currently enjoy the combat, but its mainly because you have to pay attention unlike other MMOs. I still feel the lock is gimmicky but don't hate it, I can see where people can hate it though. Still I will probably wont play the game unless it goes f2p becuase of other aspects of the game, cause in general the combat is very good.

Originally posted by Himemiya

-Travail.

So the combat in Tera is "true" action combat because a small girl (Elin) can hold a 200 pound axe but CAN'T move while swinging...of course moving while swinging makes the combat "completely fantastical" but an Elin holding a huge weapon in the first place is "true" action combat....right

Tera isn't a simulator, this guy is basically using "realism" as an argument in a game that is "completely fantastical". And btw, thats not what the "true" in "true action combat" stands for image

No, the elin carrying a 200 pound axe CAN move but not slipping and sliding whenever you want. The emphasis is placed on the animation (block/dodge cancels this) and it works beautifully for the game.

You want to slip and slide during combat then you best keep on waiting for GW2 :) Not much longer to go!

"because you can't just spam every ability you have, whenever you feel like, with impunity. You actually have to, you know, time them carefully, and use them in the appropriate situations so you don't get burned by your locked in animation."

I so agree with that.

L2P TERA combat:

The flow of the combat is fine and gets better as you progress because the content gets harder. The whole purpose of TERA's combat is to keep you engaged. This isn't just about attacking. It's about combining attacking with timing and movement with reaction time for defense.

It's a total package IMO.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Oh and TERA is to Aion what Aion was to "Typical Asian Grinders". TERA is exponentially better and the fact that people gloss over what the game offers because it's made in Korean is hilarious. I'm honestly surprised people post it.

that depends on what comparisons you're making

I played to level 22 in beta and from what i saw, aion was better with far more content in the beginning. for me, if a game sucks in the beginning, it sucks.

tera offers action combat. aside from that, i just dont see what. As soon as that's realized, and the game starts bleeding subs, it will go ftp also. at that point i'd make it even with aion.

I'm not racist. If any asian developer puts out a good game, i'll play it. but from what i've seen, none are. aion only became worthwhile once it went ftp.

name one good mmo by a korean developer.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Azmodai

Originally posted by stayontarget

Most people are so used to tab targeting games where movement is nothing more than fluff,  hence the reason they find it hard to change.

The OP is talking about animation lock. last i checked animation lock and tab targetting were two completely different things

No its the same thing exatly, In tab target games Moving is not essential so staying still or animation lock does not matter but in TERA its made difficult and using skills has consequences (such as the animation lock) People are too used to the old Tab target and cant get it into their head yet. This game is not Button mash so DEAL WITH IT. 

No, it is NOT the same thing.  Tab-targeting can be used in conjunction with movement, while keeping movement an important factor in combat.  Just because games have largely been designed in a certain way, doesn't make it the only way it can ever work.  Tera itself proves that tried and true doesn't always equate to set in stone.

In here is a very entertaining video on Warriors. The first minute or two goes over movement and at some point demonstrates the effect of speed enchance gear. Sorry it's not a real link due to phone lol:

http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/forums.cfm?ismb=1&threadId=346933

I would also check out other high level combat videos and compare them to the 1-12 videos. I'm sure you'll notice a difference.

Again, I would say opinion.

And I will also put in another vote for tactical. As a Lancer I have a skill that does a lot of damange and can also knock an opponent down.

But it's a run in a straight line and once I commit I commit.

so when I'm fighting, I have to determine if I want to commit to this great attack or wait and use it at a better time. Because if I miss then I'm charging beynod my enemy exposing my rear or flank. Not good when it's my shield that's my saving grace.

Creating a fictional world with highly stylized characters is one thing. Allowing the combat to have a more "realistic" feeling so as to give us a feeling of realism juxtaposed with the fantastical characters, to me, adds a bit of depth.

Making an arcade game where everybody is jumping, bunny hopping running and messily shooting everywhere just feels cheap to me.

But again, it's all opinion, mine as well.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

that depends on what comparisons you're making

I played to level 22 in beta and from what i saw, aion was better with far more content in the beginning. for me, if a game sucks in the beginning, it sucks.

tera offers action combat. aside from that, i just dont see what. As soon as that's realized, and the game starts bleeding subs, it will go ftp also. at that point i'd make it even with aion.

I'm not racist. If any asian developer puts out a good game, i'll play it. but from what i've seen, none are. aion only became worthwhile once it went ftp.

name one good mmo by a korean developer.

AION? Better? How? >_> Aside from the character customization.

In TERA within the first 11 levels you fight your first mini big ass monster. You then head on out are greeted by a glorious sight of Velika which is connected seamlessly with the surrounding zones.

At around level 18 you're introduced to the basilisks which you can decide to do in group or have a go at it solo. At around 20 you form a party to go into the first group instance for lowbies, Bastion of Lok (popularly called SB, Secret Base).

In AION the elite areas are group bound yes, but you can never solo the elites you want no matter how much practice because they will tear you a new one due to the mechanics. A hit roll is a hit. And from the last time I remember those silly elite maus hit like trucks.

Those same group bound elite areas were nerfed to hell and back because no-one wanted to do them anymore. So you just kill some non-elites for the quests you need.

A solo instance was later added to AION. Solo. Instance. No fun with your friends there.

...portal here, portal there some more then comes OH BOY. FIRE TEMPLE! You step inside at level 28, the earliest. If you're a healer. Else you're persona non grata.

Tell me, has any of that "better" content changed?

L2P TERA combat:

@Wrightstuf

I played Aion from launch for a year and a half. Content between the two is almost identical 1-22. TERA has far more systems however and is a bigger game overall. For a tab target game Aion's in the best IMO but TERA's shatters it.

I didn't call you racist but you did express discrimination based upon the origin of it's development. I've played big titles on both sides and TERA is the best I've played so far for me.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Again, I would say opinion.

And I will also put in another vote for tactical. As a Lancer I have a skill that does a lot of damange and can also knock an opponent down.

But it's a run in a straight line and once I commit I commit.

so when I'm fighting, I have to determine if I want to commit to this great attack or wait and use it at a better time. Because if I miss then I'm charging beynod my enemy exposing my rear or flank. Not good when it's my shield that's my saving grace.

Creating a fictional world with highly stylized characters is one thing. Allowing the combat to have a more "realistic" feeling so as to give us a feeling of realism juxtaposed with the fantastical characters, to me, adds a bit of depth.

Making an arcade game where everybody is jumping, bunny hopping running and messily shooting everywhere just feels cheap to me.

But again, it's all opinion, mine as well.

Most MMOs have some strategy to it. Even what you refer to as "arcade", its just different. Now, saying stuff like realism. Thats funny to me. This is nowhere close to having realism or any simulation quality, its just a fantasy game with a different strategy than others. I think we can agree that Tera is not a combat simulator, thus its not "realistic".

I think we can agree that Tera is not a combat simulator, thus its not "realistic".

That's absolutely true.

I would add however, that after seeing the whole bunny hopping mess of WoW and other games that share the "move whereever you want, however you want" type of combat, I find Tera a breath of fresh air.

Oh, and check out the two links I added to the PAX roundup article they just posted. These are two games, online (not mmo's) that are more "realistic" as far as combat.

Chivarly and War of the Roses. Just adding that info for those who dont' know about them.

edit: I'll just add them here.

http://www.chivarlythegame.com

http://www.waroftherosesthegame.com/

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think we can agree that Tera is not a combat simulator, thus its not "realistic".

That's absolutely true.

I would add however, that after seeing the whole bunny hopping mess of WoW and other games that share the "move whereever you want, however you want" type of combat, I find Tera a breath of fresh air.

Oh, and check out the two links I added to the PAX roundup article they just posted. These are two games, online (not mmo's) that are more "realistic" as far as combat.

Chivarly and War of the Roses. Just adding that info for those who dont' know about them.

edit: I'll just add them here.

http://www.chivarlythegame.com

http://www.waroftherosesthegame.com/

I definately agree that its a breath of fresh air. But me personally would love to have that lock removed. Ill check those out, thanks for the links!

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

Other than levels and special glyphs removing some, all or making certain abilities faster there is also an attack speed speed modifier in the better gear. This makes all of your abilities animations faster.

Yes rooting sucks but if it wasn't in you would be constant running spamming abilities like an fps. Go watch some Darkfall videos to see how it looks in practice. DF isn't a bad game I just prefer TERAs more.

I believe that is what they should be aiming for, an fps style movement. Some other game will come along and do that and call itself TRUE action combat and we will all be MMOFO's according to that game....

And to be more critical Tera doesn't really compare to an FPS, its more like RE5 where you cannot shoot and move. We all remember how that went along with the fans...

REALITY CHECK

Have you ever shot a real gun? Go watch FPSRussia's youtube vids if you haven't and want to get a decent feel for how it works.

GAME CHECK

Have you played an FPS recently? If not, check out how moving and shooting decreases your accuracy. Kneeling, going prone, holding your breath - all help to steady a shot. See how you have rate of fire. See how there is kickback and you end up shoot higher on your target and less accurately if you don't stop shooting and let the weapon settle? See how there are reload times and the fastest/most reliable weapon up close is your knife or the butt of your gun? See how most FPS' are getting MORE realistic and are not the 10 year old run and gun Quake style (which was cool, I admit).

Now that we are done with guns and FPS - Let's talk melee weapons.

REALITY CHECK

Have you every swung a staff? Even just a broom stick or pvc pipe you saw sitting around? (Probably). Remember how you can't jsut stiop spinning it one direction and then switch it up unless you take into account momentum, angles, etc. Watch Bruce Lee doing Nunchuks. He has to account for everything as he is going because to get the nunchuks to where he needs them in 1 second he has to make some minute .2 second adjustments. And those are high speed, low mass weapons (admittedly one of the most difficult to use).

Have you ever seen a 2 handed sword or even a broadsword or straight sword? Watch how committing to an arc is really committing to an arc and how the other guy can punch you in the face if you make the wrong commitment. Think about how fencing came to be. That rapier, stabbing approach has many advantages - especially in terms of not being too big and telegraphing the move and locking the swordsman into a commited arc.

Watch the angles heavy weapon users empoy when momentum has to be take into consideration. There is little turning on the dime, and sequences have to be readied. Variations exist, but like exercising with a kettlebell, you may end up tearing a muscle or dislocating your own joints if you try to pause a movement and don't ride it thought.

GAME CHECK

Fuck Resident Evil and how people hated it. Look at Dark Souls and how people praise it. Try out the combat in Dark Souls and tell me if momentum isn't taken into consideration.

As games get better and more realistic, the reality of physics starts to intrude. It gives things weight and makes the games more compelling.

That is my 2 cents.

Am I going to play TERA? Yes. I hit up the Korean and then played a bit in Beta. Now that Open Beta starts and we get to keep out toons from here on out, I am all about it. Will I get frustrated when I overextend myself and get countered due to choosing the wrong move. Yes. Who will I blame? Myself. Not a game that is trying to be more difficult/realistic. This is the evolution of MMO combat. Not perfect. But it is the next step.

Someone please make a good MMO.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

You're really bringing reality into defending a Korean MMO? lol 

Originally posted by Sector13

You're really bringing reality into defending a Korean MMO? lol 

It's about design decisions. Why did the devs choose to implement such and such the way they did?

L2P TERA combat: