Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

144 people in Coruscant at 10 pm is far from fail(pic)

Comments

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Rift made 100 million for Trion last year in profit. I hardly call that dying. With exception of Vanguard and Warhammer Rift and AOC both are doing very well.

So yes there is still lots of money in properly done WOW clones.

Oh, trust me, a company can make plenty off WoWclones, especially when they dump 120 million into advertising.

But don't expect to have a loyal fan base.

MMOs have become something for companies to make a quick buck off of and then scrap up what subscribers they have left in the coming months.

Same reason Warhammer hasn't gone free to play, EA wants to squeeze as much as possible out of them.

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100

Originally posted by Jason2444

Originally posted by OldMMOGamer

Here you go.....Just checked  Jedi Covenant where my main is.....140 in Fleet, instance 1, 1 zone, Tatooine 110 for world event, Hoth had 80ish......3 zones almost 300 people , 7 more planets with various population on them....and im not going to go there just to check for your sake.  Its not just "somebody" I just gave you cold hard facts i just saw with my own eyes.  Oh and BTW .  Im not even counting whats in instance 2 server side population.  Keep trying

Congradulations for repeating what I just said?

I said I've seen people say that standard can mean 150 on fleet.

A while ago someone did a head count on all the servers. The highest pop was Fatman at full with a population of 3000.

3000 for a full server REALLY isn't that impressive

"Someone" again, LOL,  and too easy..... 3000 people is not alot for one server? jesus, mary, joseph, this guy is deranged.  BTW did "someone" count the different instance on that server?  

"Someone" again, LOL,  and too easy..... 3000 people is not alot for one server? jesus, mary, joseph, this guy is deranged.  BTW did "someone" count the different instance on that server?  

The /who function doesn't deceminate between instances.

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/01/numerical-swtor-population-data-for-pvprp-pvp-servers/

And yes, 3000 is a pathetic ammount. Especially when it's 2012 and a company still uses the sharding system.

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by Warjin

Did you see the screen shots of server selection both EURO & US.

US is just starting prime time, EURO it's almost 11:00 PM at night

Yes i did and like i said i am not ignoring the population boost by 30 free days. I would wait till free times run out to make a proper guess. 

Is the 30 free days going to boost the population?  I thought it was only given to those already subscribed not everyone.  I know I didn't get it since i wasn't subscribed.  It may keep them from leaving sooner, but it won't really boost it.  That is what those free 7 days was for, well kind of.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

I don't really see how this thread is any different from the threads saying that "when I log in my server is a ghosttown" that the fans seem to hate.  Is this just a "neener neener" topic?

Because people who play the game know there are a few dead servers.....because they released to many at launch to accomadate the mass of folks trying to play and aleviate 2 hr server que's.  Now that most servers have evened out their populations, those servers at the tail end of the launch rush are suffering and those people definatly need to be put on higher populations servers.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

The /who function doesn't deceminate between instances.

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/01/numerical-swtor-population-data-for-pvprp-pvp-servers/

And yes, 3000 is a pathetic ammount. Especially when it's 2012 and a company still uses the sharding system.

Please name me or show me a single MMO besides WoW,Rift,EvE Swtor that has a server of 3000 players?

I DEAR you, you can't, only EvE online, Rift,WoW and Swtor can pull thoses numbers.

Yes i did and like i said i am not ignoring the population boost by 30 free days. I would wait till free times run out to make a proper guess. 

Is the 30 free days going to boost the population?  I thought it was only given to those already subscribed not everyone.  I know I didn't get it since i wasn't subscribed.  It may keep them from leaving sooner, but it won't really boost it.  That is what those free 7 days was for, well kind of.

It's just to pad the sub count in the may quarterly report.

Why do you think they waited 3 hours from midnight to announce the pulling of ranked warzones and then the second the clock struck the 12th everyone is locked into a free month?

Please name me or show me a single MMO besides WoW,Rift,EvE Swtor that has a server of 3000 players?

I DEAR you, you can't, only EvE online, Rift,WoW and Swtor can pull thoses numbers.

There are none.... Because they're all dead

"Remember, this is just cross-sectional (snapshot in time) population data – this is the data anyone without sophisticated software or a team of dedicated researchers would have obtained if they made level 1 characters on all the PVP servers and checked out the planet population numbers using the who-list window during peak times. It is not actual total population data but rather a representation of it. There are limitations with every study and every methodology – like everything else in life, take it a grain of salt"

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

How do you figure?

WoW is in no way going to crash, if anything WOW proves that most people want WoW-clones, face it there is NO MONEY IN SANDBOX MMO'S, all MMO's that want to stay in the game and make money will have to follow WoW's lead, WoW has a proven track record.

If Swtor fails this will only pigeon hole the MMO market to WoW and WoW only, all other MMO's will be looked at with with scepticism by the masses as (not risk worth taking) so they will just stay with WoW or nothing at all.

And there is money in WoWclones?

Rift

Warhammer

Vanguard

Age of Conan

All dead or dying.

Now lets look at the sandbox games like EvE online. All growning or maintaining a healthy population.

What other  sandbox games besides EVE has a healthy population and are growing?

The market is over saturated with cookie cutter MMOs. 

That's the thing isn't it? If sandboxes was a sure thing like you claim it to be, more would be made. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

It's just to pad the sub count in the may quarterly report.

Why do you think they waited 3 hours to announce the pulling of ranked warzones and then the second the clock struck the 12th everyone gets a free month?

Funny because 3 mths ago, people where saying, (Wait 3mths) now people are saying wait another 3mths, Face it you lost, Swtor is not a failure, what are you people going to say a year from now, let me guess (Wait for the second year) LOL come one give me a break lol.

"Remember, this is just cross-sectional (snapshot in time) population data – this is the data anyone without sophisticated software or a team of dedicated researchers would have obtained if they made level 1 characters on all the PVP servers and checked out the planet population numbers using the who-list window during peak times. It is not actual total population data but rather a representation of it. There are limitations with every study and every methodology – like everything else in life, take it a grain of salt"

You're the one who wanted to argue semantics.

That data is a hell of alot more reliable than anything you've given out.

Funny because 3 mths ago, people where saying, (Wait 3mths) now people are saying wait another 3mths, Face it you lost, Swtor is not a failure, what are you people going to say a year from now, let me guess (Wait for the second year) LOL come one give me a break lol.

Even Warhammer lasted 6 months till sever merges.

AoC lasted a year before merges and free trials.

SWTOR lasted 3 months before trials. OH SORRY "Weekend passes"

Now it looks like it's gonna wait 4-5 months before merges

Originally posted by ktanner3

Now lets look at the sandbox games like EvE online. All growning or maintaining a healthy population.

That's the thing isn't it? If sandboxes was a sure thing like you claim it to be, more would be made. 

Let me rephrase.

WoWclones are a guarenteed instant profit.

Sandboxes are a reliable way for long term subscription count.

Most companies today want the quick buck

Even Warhammer lated 6 months till sever merges.

AoC lasted a year before merges and free trials.

SWTOR lasted 3 months before trials. OH SORRY "Weekend passes"

Now it looks like it's gonna wait 4-5 months before merges

I want mergers and it's only because Swtor make the mistake of having to many servers at launch.

To end all this drama and to prove me wrong, please list just one Sandbox MMO besides EvE that is doing strong?

I will send you a $50 money order if you can prove me wrong.

I want mergers and it's only because Swtor make the mistake of having to many servers at launch.

To end all this drama and to prove me wrong, please list just one Sandbox MMO besides EvE that is doing strong?

Second life.

Keep the money

Originally posted by ktanner3

Let me rephrase.

WoWclones are a guarenteed instant profit.

Sandboxes are a reliable way for long term subscription count.

Most companies today want the quick buck

Dead wrong, sandbox MMO's are a financial risk that many MMO companies will not take and the reason is Sandbox MMO have Proven  time and time again that the masses don't care you it.

EvE online is the ONLY sandbox to date that is going strong and that is only because EvE is in a class of it's own, there pretty much isn't another full space MMO at all.

Dead wrong, sandbox MMO's are a financial risk that many MMO companies will not take and the reason is Sandbox MMO have Proven  time and time again that the masses don't care you it.

EvE online is the ONLY sandbox to date that is going strong and that is only because EvE is in a class of it's own, there pretty much isn't another full space MMO at all.

There have only been, i dunno... 5 notible sandbox MMOs?

Meanwhile there have been hundreds of WoW clones.

Because they look at WoW and want that success, but they'll never have it. Doesn't stop them from trying, however.

Second life.

Keep the money

Second Life lol, you mean Facebook 3D, Second Life is just a social hub.

I am taking about a sandbox MMORPG. Only one and that is EvE

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by RizelStar

Originally posted by RizelStar

Was that a world event? If so thats cool to see it bring many to come participate.

Or world boss. 

no I just took the screens like 15 mins ago.

Nah I was talking about the first picture, unless that is the one you where refurring to.

It's pretty cool to see that many on, I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

The first day was last friday (day after patch 1.2) we where all getting ready to kill the World boss.

Ahh ok cool.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Are you drunk?

Alright, whatever.

Pre-NGE SWG

There have only been, i dunno... 5 notible sandbox MMOs?

Meanwhile there have been hundreds of WoW clones.

Because they look at WoW and want that success, but they'll never have it. Doesn't stop them from trying, however.

Trust me, I would LOVE and I mean LOVE for there to be a big budget Sandbox MMO that keeps growing but the facts are most people don't like sandboxes, maybe it's to hard I don't know but the fact remains sandbox MMO are dead, the best we can hope for is a WoW-clone with sand-boxy elements to keep the cash flow coming in.

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

Star Wars Galaxies was quite succesful and flourishing until SOE decided to jump on the bandwagon and turn it into a WoW clone. Guess what happened next?

Greed's a bitch.

Are you drunk?

Alright, whatever.

Pre-NGE SWG

Old school SWG was strong I agree, but that was pre WoW, after WoW came out the MMO world crashed, WoW became kingpin and only because WoW made full use of the Themepark play style and WoW has proven that the masses want that type of play, because of that SWG tryed to follow there lead but it was to late, many people where allready invested in Wow so SWG as sad as it was died (RIP SWG)

Old school SWG is strong I agree, but that was pre WoW, after WoW came out the MMO world crashed, WoW became kingpin and only because WoW made full use of the Themepark play style and WoW has proven that the masses want that type of play, because of that SWG tryed to follow there lead but it was to lat, many people where allready invested in Wow so SWG as sad as it was died (RIP SWG)

SWG existed in the pre-NGE fine even while WoW was on the raise. SWG should be the end of our argument.

A successful sandbox. Suddenly turns into WoW. Crashes and burns overnight.

That is the EPITOME of my argument, I shouldn't need to elaborate any further

This discussion has been closed.