Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice-Former 3 Year Darkfall player needs to know if this game is worthy?

Comments

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Dekapitator

I have quit Darkfall because the devs dont work on the game and the population is shrinking

The playerbase is waiting for DF 2.0

Lovers and Haters of Mortal Online tell me if I should buy this game...I'm gonna start the trial in 1 or 2 days.

Good choice, always trial a game first especially one produced by a team of 3 or 4 people with no previous experience (as is the case with MO).

I read allot of bad things in this forum about Gm's banning people for no good reason.And this scares me away from the game I don't want to get banned or arrassed for kiling someone on the Gm's clan !!!

GM's and Guides/Counsellors are active players with guild affiliations. The favouritism is rampant, from simple things like teleporting friends to more serious issues such as interfering in keep sieges - the biggest crime you can do in a PvP MMO.

How many servers does the game have?

One server, population is very low (it is doubtful there is more than a couple of hundred online MAX at any time) and is only getting lower. This is indisputable fact, as it is based on SV's own figures.

Any advice would be nice. Buy or No and why if possible.

Absolutely do not buy imo. The worst MMO I have ever played, and it has the cheek to charge premium prices too.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yeah do not listen to the haters, if i had i would never have played it and that would have been a shame..

Give it a go as there is a trial you cant loose anything.. 14 days is enough to get to grips with all the basics in the game. This is not darkfall it will not take you 6 months to get a character to max pvp lvl or anything..

• DekapitatorDekapitator Member UncommonPosts: 261

Originally posted by Caldrin

Originally posted by Caldrin

Recently done the same thing, come from playing Darkfall for quite a long tiem but left as I dont like the direction the devs are taking it.

Excuse me !  Caldrin from Pain Killers former Nato alliance EU1- Darkfall?

Yes the very one LOL :), did not want to move to NA with the other PK guys tho I do miss darkfall hehe :)

Well Sir it's me Loco Porco from Pain killers also. And I'll see you in MO

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

ah awesome :)

hopefully see you around then :)

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Regardless of the any bugs in MO, its still like no other MMO on the market now. Like ive said before... if I concentrate solely on what SV does bad I would have quit a long time ago. The fact is that its unique and the stuff it does right is freakin awesome.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Hello.

I have quit Darkfall because the devs dont work on the game and the population is shrinking

Lovers and Haters of Mortal Online tell me if I should buy this game...I'm gonna start the trial in 1 or 2 days.

I read allot of bad things in this forum about Gm's banning people for no good reason.And this scares me away from the game I don't want to get banned or arrassed for kiling someone on the Gm's clan !!!

Do the Gm's actively play this game , what clan are they in?

lol no.

PvP is a joke due to the game being fundamently flawed due to server sync that will not and cannot be fixed. If you thought weird hitboxes and load lag in DF was bad , wait till you see players teleporting randomly everywhere.  Steer very clear and wait for 2.0 or play EvE like most of the clans from DF are doing.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I loved Darkfall.

I hated Mortal Online.

MO has very little going for it. It doesn't have the feel that Darkfall did, nor does it have the population that DF once had. It is a broken, fundementally flawed game and will probably disappoint if DF was a game you enjoyed.

Originally posted by xDayx

Regardless of the any bugs in MO, its still like no other MMO on the market now. Like ive said before... if I concentrate solely on what SV does bad I would have quit a long time ago. The fact is that its unique and the stuff it does right is freakin awesome.

What do you mean "like no other MMO on the market now"?

I can think of several, and others can too, so what is it about MO that is unique? It's not the FFA PvP, it's not the housing, it's not the crafting, it's definitely not the quality of the game, it's not the lack of quests (and even MO has some) so I really don't know what USP you are referring to.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by Betel

it's not the lack of quests 

Lack of quests is not a feature, they simply don't have resources nor skills to implement them right :P

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144

Having tried Mortal for a couple of months from darkfall, it has some great elements that I wish df had, but in saying that, as soon as I got to the pvp aspect it was so underwhelming. It's just a fact that no mmo can give the adrenaline rush df can. In saying that it's not all doom and glool DF 2.0 will rock.

This is no fanboi post or anything like that, everyone that reads a post about either MO or DFO all want the same thing

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

I can think of several, and others can too, so what is it about MO that is unique? It's not the FFA PvP, it's not the housing, it's not the crafting, it's definitely not the quality of the game, it's not the lack of quests (and even MO has some) so I really don't know what USP you are referring to.

First person and realistic mechanics in a seamless world, pal. I guess Wurm has it, and if MO wasnt around I guess i'd play that or DF. 

And I realize you already interpretted my statement of "like no other mmo on the market" to mean that MO has stuff that no other game has done". Which is incorrect on your behalf.  I meant as a whole its like nothing else.

First person

Lot of games have first person view

and realistic mechanics

Magic is realistic? Or do you mean the non-tab targetting? Other games have that too.

in a seamless world,

MO's world is not seamless, it is composed of nodes the same way a UO server is. There are also other games with no loading screen.

I guess Wurm has it, and if MO wasnt around I guess i'd play that or DF. 

You yourself just listed 2 games that have those features, so how are they unique to MO?

And I realize you already interpretted my statement of "like no other mmo on the market" to mean that MO has stuff that no other game has done". Which is incorrect on your behalf.  I meant as a whole its like nothing else.

As above, you just listed 2 games with the same features and other could mention more. There is nothing that is unique in MO.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by Toferio

Originally posted by username509

You will probably never be effected by a GM unless you call for one.  GM's are clanless, while there has been some incidents in the past those are few and far between.  

Sorry, but that's far from truth. GMs are recruited from active players and majority of them have clan affiliations. While GMs dont carry the guild tag around them, the incidents of favoritism are not so far between.

It is true to the communities Knowledge, theres a difference between a councilor and a GM in MO, Councilors are recruited from the community and quite often remain as part of a guild etc, their actual Powers are very limitied, they can move a player, teleport a player and answer stuck petitions and that is it. They cannot view a players inventory or ban a player. A GM is also recruited from the community except the head gm however it becomes common knoweldge to the playerbase who each gm was when they played MO and i know who each of the GM's are and i can tell you they are all past MO players from guilds that collapsed a long time ago and most dont even paly MO at all other than GM stuff and none are guild affiliated. This is common knowledge between MO's community members.

I also believe theres a big gameplay difference with a game having a FPV option and being in FPV only.

Also betel there is a big difference in my opinion between features found in an MMO specific game and a none MMO game due to the complications/limitations the MMO model brings on. But your right every feature of MO has been seen at some point throughout history in some game somewhere. Even a naked mans gentialia has been seen in some game im sure. But  many of the features present in MO you would have to visit games like Meridian to find the FPV only mechanic or UO for the taming mechanic or Elderscrolls for the gathering mechanic, or Darkfall for the combat etc etc you would have to play 50 or so games to get all of MO's experiences without just playing MO since it borrows heavily from other games throughout history but combines them in a way never seen before.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• MordragMOMordragMO Member Posts: 136

First person and realistic mechanics in a seamless world, pal. I guess Wurm has it, and if MO wasnt around I guess i'd play that or DF. 

Every game is "unique". Great arguement.

Remove forced first person from the equation and you can do all those things in games other than MO. That is because it is an FPS mechanic and therefore suits the pointless deathmatch style of game MO is.

This is an old argument, forced first person is the only feature that is not present in most other games with FFA PvP etc.  There is not a single other thing I couldn't get in a single game - a functional one at that.

First person

Lot of games have first person view

Massive Multiplayer?

and realistic mechanics

Magic is realistic? Or do you mean the non-tab targetting? Other games have that too.

I mean human functions, physics, horse movement regardless of bugs. Youve been around Betel and you know that exactly what I mean here. And before you comment more, yes I realize horses 'get stuck' at times. I can drink from a river, puke when I eat bad food, and my shlong hangs out if I dont have any clothes on.

in a seamless world,

MO's world is not seamless, it is composed of nodes the same way a UO server is. There are also other games with no loading screen.

Its as seamless as all MMO's have gotten to this point. Name one that doesnt have nodes or chunks.

I guess Wurm has it, and if MO wasnt around I guess i'd play that or DF. 

You yourself just listed 2 games that have those features, so how are they unique to MO?

see below

As above, you just listed 2 games with the same features and other could mention more. There is nothing that is unique in MO.

Betel, youve been around long enough to know what MO is, and I value my time too much to sit here and dispute with you. I also have been around long enough and have played MO long enough to not be a blind fanboi as I already have aknowledged Starvaults faults. But no rational, unbiased person can deny the fact that Mortal Online altogether is unique. Why arent MO-players playing UO? Why arent they playing Wurm?

Is UO and Wurm the same then MO? no its not.  The things that make it not the same as those 2 games makes it unique.  In order for something to be unique can also mean several traits put together in a combination has never been seen before.  Or I will present it this way... what if I made a thread that said "MO is exactly like Wurm and UO!". If its not exactly like some other game is it not still unique?

IO en

Massive Multiplayer?

Yep

I mean human functions, physics, horse movement regardless of bugs. Youve been around Betel and you know that exactly what I mean here. And before you comment more, yes I realize horses 'get stuck' at times. I can drink from a river, puke when I eat bad food, and my shlong hangs out if I dont have any clothes on.

You cannot use the phrase "regardless of bugs". If a feature does not work (such as the laughable horse movement that has horses unable to walk over a pebble) then we can hardly say it is realistic. In UO I can make my own food from scratch - including growing the wheat to make the flour.  So again, not unique. Even WoW has cooking.

Its as seamless as all MMO's have gotten to this point. Name one that doesnt have nodes or chunks.

It is as seamless as UO, like I said. A game 15 years old, so nothing new or unique there.

Betel, youve been around long enough to know what MO is, and I value my time too much to sit here and dispute with you.

So don't? I have no problem with you ignoring my posts.

I also have been around long enough and have played MO long enough to not be a blind fanboi as I already have aknowledged Starvaults faults. But no rational, unbiased person can deny the fact that Mortal Online altogether is unique. Why arent MO-players playing UO? Why arent they playing Wurm?

GIven Henrik's mission statement, why are ex UO players not playing MO? Because they tried it and it was (and is) terrible. The fact that a few hundred people are still supporting it is here nor there compared to the number of boxes sold.

Is UO and Wurm the same then MO? no its not.  The things that make it not the same as those 2 games makes it unique.  In order for something to be unique can also mean several traits put together in a combination has never been seen before.  Or I will present it this way... what if I made a thread that said "MO is exactly like Wurm and UO!". If its not exactly like some other game is it not still unique?

MO is a poor copy of UO. Even Henrik admits it is an attempt to update it to use a modern engine. There is nothing new in MO, and the things they have copied don't even work properly.

They have failed, and the verdict of the 10's of thousands of players is - no thanks.

Massive Multiplayer?

Yep

You cannot use the phrase "regardless of bugs". If a feature does not work (such as the laughable horse movement that has horses unable to walk over a pebble) then we can hardly say it is realistic. In UO I can make my own food from scratch - including growing the wheat to make the flour.  So again, not unique. Even WoW has cooking.

It is as seamless as UO, like I said. A game 15 years old, so nothing new or unique there.

Betel, youve been around long enough to know what MO is, and I value my time too much to sit here and dispute with you.

So don't? I have no problem with you ignoring my posts.

I also have been around long enough and have played MO long enough to not be a blind fanboi as I already have aknowledged Starvaults faults. But no rational, unbiased person can deny the fact that Mortal Online altogether is unique. Why arent MO-players playing UO? Why arent they playing Wurm?

GIven Henrik's mission statement, why are ex UO players not playing MO? Because they tried it and it was (and is) terrible. The fact that a few hundred people are still supporting it is here nor there compared to the number of boxes sold.

MO is a poor copy of UO. Even Henrik admits it is an attempt to update it to use a modern engine. There is nothing new in MO, and the things they have copied don't even work properly.

They have failed, and the verdict of the 10's of thousands of players is - no thanks.

So you play UO and feel threatened by MO?

I played Anarchy Online when it first came out and it had a rough launch. After about 2 or 3 days I uninstalled it from my computer. I havent gone over to any of the AO forums since or even brought the game up. What is the difference between my response to AO, and your unique response to MO?

Yeah, the whole game industry is scared by the juggernaut of success that is MO ...  even 15 year old games with more subs now than MO ever has. But seriously, no I don't think any game is threatened by SV apart from MO ;)

I played Anarchy Online when it first came out and it had a rough launch. After about 2 or 3 days I uninstalled it from my computer. I havent gone over to any of the AO forums since or even brought the game up. What is the difference between my response to AO, and your unique response to MO?

My response is not unique at all, just look at this board. I think your question should be - why do SV and MO generate these posts? I think you may find your answer in the unique errors and borderline illegality done by SV coupled with the viral marketing that Henrik talks about to his shareholders. Some people do not like to see other gamers fleeced, and can spend a few minutes while working to inform prospective players of the real state of MO to act as a counter to the marketing.

Blue is a really reading unfreidnly color to use :/

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Yeah, the whole game industry is scared by the juggernaut of success that is MO ...  even 15 year old games with more subs now than MO ever has. But seriously, no I don't think any game is threatened by SV apart from MO ;)

My response is not unique at all, just look at this board. I think your question should be - why do SV and MO generate these posts? I think you may find your answer in the unique errors and borderline illegality done by SV coupled with the viral marketing that Henrik talks about to his shareholders. Some people do not like to see other gamers fleeced, and can spend a few minutes while working to inform prospective players of the real state of MO to act as a counter to the marketing.

image  Very good sir! Very articulate answer to that age old tactic of discrediting someone's points by attacking their motives question: "Why do you post if you don't like the game?"

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

Interesting,... but such a motive is not born out of spending $50 on a game and not liking it usually, I have done so on more than one occasion. And if you were a shareholder as it conotates in your above post than that typically means that you probably spent more than $50.00 on your investment which may produce the emotions about SV which you are reflecting. Thank you for the incite Betel.

I personally like MO, but I know SV enough not to invest more than $15 on it per month as I play.

Interesting,... but such a motive is not born out of spending $50 on a game and not liking it usually, I have done so on more than one occasion. 

Shrug, different people, different judgement. Some waste 50$ and move on, some take unfulfilled promises of a hardcore paradise as personal insult and spend months in vendetta. Eachone to their own, I guess.

Interesting,... but such a motive is not born out of spending $50 on a game and not liking it usually, I have done so on more than one occasion

Yes it was born out of the motive outlined above. Henrik illegally took CC payments, reneged on promised disks, charged people multiple times in one month and refused to initiate chargebacks, etc etc. To compound that he uses shills and viral marketing to obscure those facts and claim that MO is the greatest MMO in the world and the only rational choice for a PvP sandbox fan. Taking a few minutes every now and then to stamp on that I see as both public service to my fellow gamers and a helluva lot more fun than actually playing MO. Not like I can play games while working anyway :)

So yes, as long as Henrik continues to hire shills, I will continue to counter them. I reckon I can spare a few mintues now and then till SV closes. Shouldn't be too long now, the UE license payment must be due soon which means daddy will have to dig into his pocket again or cut Henrik loose.

And if you were a shareholder as it conotates in your above post than that typically means that you probably spent more than $50.00 on your investment which may produce the emotions about SV which you are reflecting. Thank you for the incite Betel.

ROFL, nice attempt to portray me as having some ulterior motive for attacking MO and Henrik, cos .. you know ... no one could possibly dislike him or SV for valid reasons could they!

Yeah whatever. I have never invested in MO and told others not to when Henrik was shilling his own shares to players in order to get cash. I have told you the reason why I post here, not my fault if you can't accept it - or do not wish to for ulterior motives of you own perhaps? Why do you post here? Why do you keep replying to my posts when you said you couldn't be bothered? I already told you I am quite alright with you ignoring them completely, so why don't you?

I personally like MO, but I know SV enough not to invest more than $15 on it per month as I play.

You invested the box price and you have trusted your CC details to a company that has previously charged without authorisation and refused to initiation chargebacks twice. That same company also gives teenagers full access to your personal details, which that teenager than shared with all his gaming buddies.

• GamerFunGamerFun Member Posts: 28

Hello.

Do the Gm's actively play this game , what clan are they in?

It's not really worth it until the dev's change Darkfall to 2.0 with the changes. Hopefully it hapens but at this point the dev's just keep promising and doing the loop hole shananigans on its customers and fans. In my opinion I would wait to see if 2.0 ever comes through and actually happens. If it does I'll probably be going back because I myself am sick of these theme park MMORPG's out these days.

MMORPG & FPS Gamer Veteran of seventeen years.