Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR Not Tanking

Comments

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Let's put some numbers to the servers. Now none of this is scientific so, whatever. If some of you have more knowledge about this, than please correct me.

Light = 250

Standard = 500

heavy = 1000

very heavy = 1500

full = 2000

Now, TOR has a total of 218 severs. If every night at peak playing hrs all those servers were at full, then the amount of people playing would be 436,000. We can see though, that's not the case. There are many more light and standard servers both NA and EU than heavy, very heavy or full.

So what does this mean. It means that at odd server hrs, the majority of servers are light with a few standard and there would be around 54k to 55k playing at that time.

What this shows is that, even if every server 24-7 was at full, TOR at the most would only have that 436,000 playerbase actually playing. If we also go off of the 1.7 miilion subs that Bioware said they have and divide that by the 218 servers, that would mean that a full server would hold 7,798 players. We all know that the game has never had that many players on a single server, so, in my honest opinion, and that's all this is, TOR is tanking. Taking into account that they have some other mmo's coming out in the very near future, The game may even drop much further than it is now.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Bardus

Haven't seen anyone do this and don't know why.

I will like to see someone poll and headcount on a good server how many players originated on that server or rerolled there because their original server is dead.

I'm curious to know if the good servers are able to maintain retention or living off refugees.

I'll take a wild guess, most who are playing don't give a rats ***? I mean think about it, how many that are playing, would have a reason to care about how many people there are? I can't remember a time I was playing a game when that idea or thought popped into my head.

It's just not something that matters to the overall enjoyment of game, as long as there is a few populated servers what else matters? I don't need to know there are "millions" playing to have a good time, I doubt many others do either.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149

Originally posted by OldMMOGamer

Originally posted by TwwIX

Originally posted by OldMMOGamer

That's because they artificially inflated the populations of the servers by providing free game time for old and "valued" subscribers.

Come back to me in 30 days again and we'll see how well the game is doing. People will go back to requesting much needed server merges and characters transfers because the majority of the servers are dead and will continue remain to be ghost towns.

The apologists for this game are just downright pathetic. I am glad that i stopped playing this poorly executed mess. The community is even worse.

Im not apolgizing for anything,Just for kicks how do you even back up your statement "artifically inflated" server status? Just here to clear up the misinformation somewhat.  BTW, This same argument started 2 Weeks after launch LOL, then it was after the 1st billing period, then it was after the first game update, then it was 1.2 update,  whats next?  Thats right anything the GW2 shills can make up.  BTW, GW2 will be out soon,  cut and paste these comments to a word file and prepare to use them again, cause guess what those forums will be the SAME way.  =D

It's not my fault that your reading comprehension is poor. Also, what does Guild Wars 2 have anything to do with what i said? Could you sound any more non sensical?

Um you didnt answer my question, where did you get your information they artifically inflated the server status? Concrete proof not just "because? LOLZ"

Um you didnt answer my question, where did you get your information they artifically inflated the server status? Concrete proof not just "because? LOLZ" 

They gave a week free to all former subscribers to come try out the new patch. This will boost their numbers for a week as a lot of unpaid accounts are granted free server access. This is probably very temporary. They also gave all existing clients 30 days free as well. The speculation here is that they are prettying up the quarterly numbers for the reports so investors don't freak out over losses.

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Paragus1

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-laying-off-up-to-1000-report-6371851

"Andersen pointed to a variety of contributing factors for the cuts, noting that the massively multiplayer online role-playing game Star Wars: The Old Republic did not meet internal sales estimates and is facing declining subscription numbers."

I find it kinda funny that this post was ignored, considering several people in this thread are saying TOR is actually gaining subscriptions.

But then again I guess that is how most people respond to bad news, ignore it.

Still, what is the fascination with seeing ToR die? I thought it was a fairly meh game but if people are enjoying it then hoping for it to fail seems like a rather childish thing to do.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Never seen a queue on the server I play on.  Right before 1.2, fleet and planets were lower than when I started.  Population on that server has decreased.  With 1.2, people are logging in to see the changes and the event.  But, from what I've seen since 1.2, that population flux is not stable.  More people are on overall, but not for long periods of time.   All of this is subjective to what I have seen and feel.  Why?  Because it's all instanced and designed to spread people out.  I don't bother to check the server lists and all my characters are on one server.

That said, for me personally, SWTOR has tanked for me.  I've unsubbed after hoping for the best for 1.2.  It's not the game for me.  I am back to 0 MMOs.  I'll be waiting and watching for something in the future.  I'm not sure I'll ever buy again without a play test.  That's not the fault of SWTOR alone.  It's build up from years and years of bad MMOs or ones that started out fine(well...at least a few months after release...) and turned to crap for various reasons.  That said, the burnout is 100x as fast now as it was back then.  I guess I expected the mmo market to improve instead of stay the same and my patience for it is gone.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by musicmann

Let's put some numbers to the servers. Now none of this is scientific so, whatever. If some of you have more knowledge about this, than please correct me.

Light = 250

Standard = 500

heavy = 1000

very heavy = 1500

full = 2000

Now, TOR has a total of 218 severs. If every night at peak playing hrs all those servers were at full, then the amount of people playing would be 436,000. We can see though, that's not the case. There are many more light and standard servers both NA and EU than heavy, very heavy or full.

So what does this mean. It means that at odd server hrs, the majority of servers are light with a few standard and there would be around 54k to 55k playing at that time.

What this shows is that, even if every server 24-7 was at full, TOR at the most would only have that 436,000 playerbase actually playing. If we also go off of the 1.7 miilion subs that Bioware said they have and divide that by the 218 servers, that would mean that a full server would hold 7,798 players. We all know that the game has never had that many players on a single server, so, in my honest opinion, and that's all this is, TOR is tanking. Taking into account that they have some other mmo's coming out in the very near future, The game may even drop much further than it is now.

But...to use the dreaded McDonalds as example. When the McDonalds sign says 5 billion served..they don't mean at the same time. Nor doesn it mean that if  x number of McDonalds existed  then 5 billion/x= how many served at each MacDonalds. A server may have the potential of 10000 people that chose it to play on....but only 750-1000 or so play at any particular time. I don't doubt 1.7mil active subs at one time...I just doubt that many were playing simultaneously on any particular server except the known (by players) few. I also doubt they have that many active subs today. All in All ..it doesnt really matter...I'm having fun.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I am taking the luxurity to have no opinion on this matter. I say we see when we will see.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by VikingGamer

This is still the free week reactivation week right? Also the start of the free month for lvl 50? I would expect it to be busy. Of course I don't think TOR is going to fail by any reasonable metric anyway. It is a decent game though it could be better. It has a great story. I don't think they distinguished themselves enough from WoW but even so, there is no shortage of starwars fans out there. The game might shrink some, there might even be a server merger some day but the game will still be a long ways from failing.

They're throwing everything they can think of at their players, in the hopes of holding onto them, as they close in on the three month (payed sub) mark, with three big MMOs about to launch.  Given everything they're trying to do, it's actually kind of sad that the recent surges haven't been bigger.  

The population decline of the last three months has only been a foreshadowing of what the next few months are going to look like for TOR.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

on Assassins of Sion last night 7pm 15 people at pub fleet, server merge pls

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

PVE games do not have longevity anymore. Wham bam thank you maam. 6-12 month life span's why the heck do they keep making these drive through MMO's.

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by RoyalPhunk

PVE games do not have longevity anymore. Wham bam thank you maam. 6-12 month life span's why the heck do they keep making these drive through MMO's.

Tell that to successful games LOTRO and Guild Wars. More people would be playing this had BioWare actually made the PvE their main focus. Instead they chose to crowbar in their crappy, instanced PvP and balance it at the cost of PvE. Nobody even partakes in the open world PvP because it's even more neglected than PvE.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by BarCrow

Originally posted by musicmann

Light = 250

Standard = 500

heavy = 1000

very heavy = 1500

full = 2000

But...to use the dreaded McDonalds as example. When the McDonalds sign says 5 billion served..they don't mean at the same time. Nor doesn it mean that if  x number of McDonalds existed  then 5 billion/x= how many served at each MacDonalds. A server may have the potential of 10000 people that chose it to play on....but only 750-1000 or so play at any particular time. I don't doubt 1.7mil active subs at one time...I just doubt that many were playing simultaneously on any particular server except the known (by players) few. I also doubt they have that many active subs today. All in All ..it doesnt really matter...I'm having fun.

I'm not saying everyone is playing at the same time. If you just look at the server statis though and go off of the numbers that i layed out, be they are wrong or somewhat correct. If you had 218 full servers 24-7 that would come out to a number way more accurate of how many people are actually playing compared to those who are not and are just waiting for their sub to run out. I'm just thinking out loud and by no means trying to tell anyone not to play the game. For me, the game tanked. For Bio/EA the game may or may not have tanked. If you're still playing and having fun, then what i or anyone else says on a online game forum shouldn't matter.

Tell that to successful games LOTRO and Guild Wars.

One went F2P long ago the other was never sub based, or required the longevity of a sub-based game.

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by Distopia

One went F2P long ago the other was never sub based, or required the longevity of a sub-based game.

They also know how to make a PvE experience fun, unlike BioWare. BioWare's idea of fun is grind inducing mechanics and ridiculous money sinks. The only thing that their shitty game design philosophy encourages is farming. The recent introduction of the Lagacy System is another fine example of that.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Distopia

LOTRO went F2P not that long ago. It was P2P for 4 years.

They also know how to make a PvE experience fun, unlike BioWare. BioWare's idea of fun is grind inducing mechanics and ridiculous money sinks. The only thing that their shitty game design philosophy encourages is farming. The recent introduction of the Lagacy System is another fine example of that.

Bioware has a long track record of fun PVE games (their whole portfolio is essentially that). What are you talking about? As if LOTRO was anything but grinds?

• OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100

I still like LOTRO F2P or not

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Because they make money. PvE MMOs far outlast PvP MMOs by the way.

I am not comparing them to PVP MMO's (but if I did EvE 9 years old ahem, DAOC STILL GOING lol)  I am comparing them to older PVE MMO's. They have no longevity anymore. X Game launches, 3 months go by, game bleeds subs. In TOR's case it's understandable they fail to listen but attracting casuals to yor game gets you this result. A short shelf life.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Step 1) Post in MMORPG.com

Step 2) Create an illusion that ToR is thriving

Step 3) Convince yourself about it

Step 4) Doesn't feel so bad subbing to a sub par MMO

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please remain civil when discussing a topic. Do not personally attack another user.

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149

Not sure how who posts the comment is relevent. It's a fact that they are allowing a lot of non subscribed accounts free access thus inflating numbers. Trying to take the stance that it is just some random internet person that shouldn't be believed is just silly. Anyways here is the link if you are so inclined to read.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20120412-1

*Edited to reflect the mod edit.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Because they make money. PvE MMOs far outlast PvP MMOs by the way.

I am not comparing them to PVP MMO's (but if I did EvE 9 years old ahem, DAOC STILL GOING lol)  I am comparing them to older PVE MMO's. They have no longevity anymore. X Game launches, 3 months go by, game bleeds subs. In TOR's case it's understandable they fail to listen but attracting casuals to yor game gets you this result. A short shelf life.

Its also the lofty Sub numbers Ea was targeting...  People were paying attention to that, and the state that the game launched in and the path that it continues to go down, is not holing over... 

My predict is TOR will drop between 500-600k subs and thats being generous, becuase with the rise of quality MMO going F2P persons are goona say why pay for ToR at all...

Also, it's as if Bioware don't know where to take the game.. I knew this voice over on everthing was goona bite them in the rear, as it will slow new content no matter what they think or say.

Bit Off Topic;

The MMO market is so crowded and so diverse now, that even if you offer something unique you have a high chance to fail and maybe have to fall back to cash shop methods to stay aflot..

Even Arena net is seeing this now, as i sure theyll add cosmetic stuff to guild wars 2 online shop.. Revenue from box sales is just there to re-coup dev cost..

• OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100

[Mod Edit]

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts