Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zavvi reduces price of GW2 :(

2»

Comments

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Mavacar

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by biggarfoot

So Savvi are having a Mega Monday and reduced the prices on certain lines, Having bought my prepurchace from them for a physical copy for £49.99 they have reduced the price for today by 24% to £37.95, I'm guessing there able to do this by inflating the price in the first place, but due to lack of retailers having a copy I had no choice but to buy it at their inflated price other than the choice of not buying.  It narks me a bit when retailers do this.

Did you also know they seriously screwed up their CE prepurchases? I still think Anet blew it big time here though.

Could you elaborate on what they did to screw it up? This comment got me kind of worried. :p

They screwed up caused Zavvy was the only UK store with CE pre purchases

and they were telling people they were sold out waiting on more orders or somehting like that. When in truth, there were other vendors with stocks sitting unsold. Who were not only being more customer friendly, but where left out in the cold from Anet. (ie left off the lists)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Yep......... I see where your prediction stems from, I too am skeptical.....

An overwhelming desire to say "I told you so, neener" when a prediction finally is correct?

Some of these guys wait a long time to get one right!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Bunks

Even though this thread got derailed into the standard Cash Shop, I still see it as a winner, I got called a GW2 hater.

Hahah yeah that was funny.

Also...WTF happened to the GW2 forums here?  I leave for a few weeks and I come back to chaos lol :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Omnifish

Ordering direct from the publisher always costs more.  I think the digital edition of SC2 is still £45 off battle.net a year odd after launch.  I saw it in gamestation for £30 the other day.

Retailers have to be competitve because of other retailers. It's actually worse for the consumer to buy from the publishers because there's no leverage for the customer from other publishers.  You pretty much always get f****d over when you only have one source to get something from.

The best thing to do is to have more patience and search for a better deal.  Being superkeen and just ordering because ANET told you to, from them, just plays into the grubby accountants hands.  Ain't the retailers fault and it is for your benefit if you shop smart.

Couldnt buy the the physical from the Publisher only digital @ £39.99.  Only 3 retailers were listed for the UK and I even tried the retailers not listed, Amazon a listed retailer didnt have it, Play.com a listed retailer had none at the time I purchased from Zavvi who was the only option at the time.  I'm tempted to get a refund but I cant be bothered going through all the hassle and repercutions it may intail as I've recieved and registered the code.  Anet listed all the retailers because they handled the distribution to them for the promotional prepurchase scheme.

That's why patience is required.  Rushing in to prepurchase the day it's announced generally means they'll have to push you toward their own online store, which at last look was charging £50 for a digital version. Of course I'm assuming you were going for a standard version and didn't want any of the other bells and whistles editions.

They'll be other retailers then the ones they listed, there always are later on, generally they push out now so they can maximise their own profits before they go further down the distributors chain, thus of course splitting any monies recieved.  When that happens you'll see price cuts as each retailer competes with each other.

I don't say this to be a dick just to point it out really.  I'm a big one for consumer rights and a competitive market and this trend towards publishers dictating prices to people worries me.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Ordering direct from the publisher always costs more.  I think the digital edition of SC2 is still £45 off battle.net a year odd after launch.  I saw it in gamestation for £30 the other day.

Retailers have to be competitve because of other retailers. It's actually worse for the consumer to buy from the publishers because there's no leverage for the customer from other publishers.  You pretty much always get f****d over when you only have one source to get something from.

The best thing to do is to have more patience and search for a better deal.  Being superkeen and just ordering because ANET told you to, from them, just plays into the grubby accountants hands.  Ain't the retailers fault and it is for your benefit if you shop smart.

Couldnt buy the the physical from the Publisher only digital @ £39.99.  Only 3 retailers were listed for the UK and I even tried the retailers not listed, Amazon a listed retailer didnt have it, Play.com a listed retailer had none at the time I purchased from Zavvi who was the only option at the time.  I'm tempted to get a refund but I cant be bothered going through all the hassle and repercutions it may intail as I've recieved and registered the code.  Anet listed all the retailers because they handled the distribution to them for the promotional prepurchase scheme.

That's why patience is required.  Rushing in to prepurchase the day it's announced generally means they'll have to push you toward their own online store, which at last look was charging £50 for a digital version. Of course I'm assuming you were going for a standard version and didn't want any of the other bells and whistles editions.

They'll be other retailers then the ones they listed, there always are later on, generally they push out now so they can maximise their own profits before they go further down the distributors chain, thus of course splitting any monies recieved.  When that happens you'll see price cuts as each retailer competes with each other.

I don't say this to be a dick just to point it out really.  I'm a big one for consumer rights and a competitive market and this trend towards publishers dictating prices to people worries me.

+1

It is almost always to wait a bit. Ofc there is always small risk that they will pause or even stop selling ,but that's very small risk I was going to take and well I bought EU digital standard  version (throguh reseller selling limited number of keys not A.net website- yeah there are digital even Digital Deluxe version and no afaik they are NOT listed on Arena.net list of GW2 Pre-purcharse sellers as this list Afaik only list sellers offering boxed and CE version not digital versions) for equivallent of ~ 45 euro.

Already registered my copy as well. 

Wanted to buy boxed version but there was limited boxed amount of pre-purcharse in my country and it got sold in matter of hours.

Anyway just had to wait few days after sales started.

'Saved' myself 10 euro :)

It is more or less always the case. For any game and for most products actually.

If you really want to have it ASAP then be ready to pay full / premium price. 

If you can wait a bit you can find cheaper offer usually.

• angrymimeangrymime Member Posts: 154

I bought GW2 the second I could since I'm currently not playing anything and I want to be in the beta weekends.  It was exciting to finally purchase this game that I've been looking forward to for a long time.  In celebration, I grabbed a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue and sat at the computer watching GW2 videos on youtube and perusing the forums wondering when the next beta weekend will be.

If someone can save $10 by waiting it out, good for them.  I feel that I'm getting my money's worth.