Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how is GW2"s combat different from Tera's?

JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i'd like to ask this to those that have tried both games.

i myself have played Tera and it sounds to me like GW2's combat is pretty much the same thing. a mostly aim based combat with some tab targeting options.

am i getting the right idea here? or are they quite different? if so what exactly is different about GW2's combat when compared with Tera's?

Comments

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

i myself have played Tera and it sounds to me like GW2's combat is pretty much the same thing. a mostly aim based combat with some tab targeting options.

am i getting the right idea here? or are they quite different? if so what exactly is different about GW2's combat when compared with Tera's?

you dont "aim" in gw2, you can fire any ability without a target and it will go on a straight line in front of you to the max range of your weapon, anything on its path will be hit.

You can also fire at someone thro objects and walls or out of range, making your skill go on cooldown so you need to pay attention to what you are doing

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

From what Ive seen of GW youtube videos, you dont have to stop to cast in GW2. Also you can attack without targeting anything(like tera). The movement animations DO NOT lock you inplace (UN-like tera). And I beleive everyone learns dodge at level1.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

It is nothing like TERA's combat. You need to look at SWTOR/WoW for a good comparison, though GW2 doesn't root in place when you use most abilities, so you can move and fight at the same time.

Still have targeting, dice rolls behind the scenes and a hotbar of skills though.

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Fir3line

you dont "aim" in gw2, you can fire any ability without a target and it will go on a straight line in front of you to the max range of your weapon, anything on its path will be hit.

You can also fire at someone thro objects and walls or out of range, making your skill go on cooldown so you need to pay attention to what you are doing

one thing you forgot to mention is that even tho u can fire at targets behind things those walls or objects will be hit not the target (unless ur target is stupid and runs from behind the wall and in front of it trying to get hit).

but ya you could run in front of a projectile to block a friend from getting hit (good tactic if that hit woulda downed them) almost all skills can be used while moving (there might be a few that require standing still but im not sure about that, at the very least the majority dont require standing still to cast/use)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yes you can do that buts its a lot easier to use the tab targeting system in GW2 and most people will. So at the end of the day the combat in GW2 is just a tab targeting system, but any attacks will hit anythign in front of you as well.. think similar to Age of Conan when you use tab targeting in that but without the combos. Its a nice system nto too different from your average MMO but it flows well.

Tera is more of an action mouse click game but also have special skills on the number keys, there is no need to tab target in this at all. Sadly everytime you attack in tera you character stops moving kinda takes away a bit of the fun and it could have been a lot better.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

well there is no animation lock to annoy you =P the combat is less action based than Tera but not by a lot.. there is more emphasis on dodging in GW2 and ALL classes(profs) can do it unlike in Tera. I have played both games but not enough in GW2.. I want much more.. Tera was more repetetive than the making decisions on the fly you have with GW2. In Tera you have the ability combos.. bu that usually mean you are just spamming the same 3 buttons.. wait only 2 since the space bar lets you cast the combo until it runs out... over and over with every battle. With GW2 ifs very different.. one fight may not work the same as another and you need to use abilities from a different weapon set, so(for all but 2? profs) you can switch to your other weapon set and you have different abilities.. plus you have things like environmental or summoned weapons that again change your bar and gives you something fun and different to play with.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

GW2's NDA kinda puts a damper on questions like this.. 

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

No aim

Movement doesn't break attack/casting animation

You can attack/cast while moving and jumping

No holy trinity

Multiple weapon sets

This one is my opinion: having played both games -> Gw2's combat feels more action than Tera, because you never stop, and have to adapt to situation by switching weapon sets.

Originally posted by Abdar

unless you have played it or seen it being played at a show i guess.

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139

You'll get to try it soon enough.

I know which one I prefer now.

L2P TERA combat:

• RoehonRoehon Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Caldrin

Yes you can do that buts its a lot easier to use the tab targeting system in GW2 and most people will. So at the end of the day the combat in GW2 is just a tab targeting system, but any attacks will hit anythign in front of you as well.. think similar to Age of Conan when you use tab targeting in that but without the combos.

Tera is more of an action mouse click game but also have special skills on the number keys, there is no need to tab target in this at all. Sadly everytime you attack in tera you character stops moving kinda takes away a bit of the fun and it could have been a lot better.

I do understand you can Tab target , but the person you're taking shots at can move out of the way right? The arrows don't follow you in this game like other MMOs.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

No the skills curve and auto-aim, but characters have a dodge roll ability usable if you have enough energy on a meter or something like that...however nobody seems to use it.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by Abdar

True, wish they would drop it so I could see how the combat is when I watch videos from TapRepeatedly, Yogcast, TotalBiscuit, IGN, GameSpot, MMORPG.com... Really getting annoyed with the black screen at every fight :(

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Here's an example of how you can block a spell aimed at a different target, as this ranger pet learned the hard way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_zn404EpSs 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by Volkon

Here's an example of how you can block a spell aimed at a different target, as this ranger pet learned the hard way...

Hahaha! Nice one ^^

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I have played both. TERA requires that you aim. GW2 uses tab targetting, although you can use skills without having a target and it will just fire in front of you. GW2 still uses collision detection, so things in front of your target or in your cone of damage will get hit as well.

Personally I found GW2 combat to be more fluid. Animation locking movement in TERA felt really restrictive, some say it is a intended feature, maybe it is to stop dodging getting out of hand, but I wasnt a big fan of that.

The skills you use in GW2 seem to matter more, in TERA it just felt like I was going through a cast rotation like in every other WoW clone, there wasnt as much situational skill use I found.

So yeah - for me - TERA has more action style aiming but feels a bit clunky with animation locks while GW2 is more about clever use of skills and felt a bit more fluid.

Originally posted by Roehon

Yes you can do that buts its a lot easier to use the tab targeting system in GW2 and most people will. So at the end of the day the combat in GW2 is just a tab targeting system, but any attacks will hit anythign in front of you as well.. think similar to Age of Conan when you use tab targeting in that but without the combos.

I do understand you can Tab target , but the person you're taking shots at can move out of the way right? The arrows don't follow you in this game like other MMOs.

If they are quick enough i think they can double tap to dodge but i believe its all based on dice rolls..

• RoehonRoehon Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Volkon

lol thats so cool >.<

There are some skills in GW2 that require a target to work properly however, that needs to be noted. For example, mesmer spells that create clones or illusions require a target for those illusions to attack, and when that target dies they shatter. What's interesting though is that this doesn't take away from the actiony feel, instead it adds specific levels of tactics to your casting as a mesmer.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

If they are quick enough i think they can double tap to dodge but i believe its all based on dice rolls..

Zero dice rolls.  You can move out the way just by moving to the side if you want.  

BOOYAKA!

Originally posted by cinos

Not dice rolls. The projectile isn't predetermined to hit once it leaves the casters hand. It will only hit if you happen to be there once it reaches it's destination.

If you are on the ball it is possible to dodge any projectile. Though as you can only roll twice before the bar needs a recharge, you will likely get hit by the ones that are too fast to get out of the way of in time.

Ah ok well from what i seen projectile shots are bloody fast so would be hard to dodge LOL...

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

I've Tera from CBT 1 -5, the combat is aim and point but different from games like dragon's nest in the sense some of the animations/skills are rooted for a reason (the reason being, there are consequences for spamming skills which causes the player to think about what skills he should use before using it).

It will also depend on your class, some classes such as the Ranger at first will have rooted animations for some specific skils but later on as the player hits higher levels and is able to unlock glyphs, they can use skills while running.  Additonally with almost all classes there are some lock on skills but these are usually DOTs, Curses, debuffs, buffs and heals.  Early on the ranger will have a step back which will give him more distance

With the healer he can heal while running but will have to aim his heals to target lock players, addtionally he has AOE heals that require him to place a targeting radius on the ground for players to step into.  The healers attacks are mostly frontal, some short range but slow, he has evasion skills which propel him backwards away from danger and freezing/stunning enemies in place.

but in General almost all skills require aiming, positioning and strategic planning of cool downs and not skill spamming as that leaves the player vulnerable.  Of course that is from my experience of the game so far. 

hope that helps

Originally posted by cinos

Not dice rolls. The projectile isn't predetermined to hit once it leaves the casters hand. It will only hit if you happen to be there once it reaches it's destination.

If you are on the ball it is possible to dodge any projectile. Though as you can only roll twice before the bar needs a recharge, you will likely get hit by the ones that are too fast to get out of the way of in time.

That's why you learn to watch the caster animations. You can tell from the animations, or at least you'll be able to learn, what's about to be cast, so you can preact accordingly.

Oderint, dum metuant.