Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

News Outlet Bravely makes Sinking Ship Allusion in Article Title

RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04/15/mmo-week-in-review-tortanic/

Massively today bravely broke cover from the ranks of the gaming news sites to, well allude, to the fact that things might not be great with the subscription figures at SWTOR. I am guessing they don't want to look like complete muppets whilst singing from the hymn sheet as EA grovel before their investors in a week or two. I wonder if this is the flood gates opening or will the other news sites refuse to mention the clearly tanking subs.

EDIT: Title changed due to complaints of inaccuracy.

Comments

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Well if it becomes the established story then others will follow, feeling that EA can't punish them all

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

EA bet the farm on marketing and since that marketing hasn't paid off they don't have the cash to bribe all the outlets any longer.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

#1:  Massively has been a pretty harsh critic of TOR since before it launched.  So they aren't exactly "breaking cover."  I realize your thread wouldn't be nearly as clever without that analogy though.

#2:  Am I missing something here?  Where in that "article" does it mention anything about declining subs?  Unless there is a link inside the article I'm not seeing, it doesn't mention declining subs at all.  It's simply a very short blurb on some of the issues the 1.2 patch presented, and what Bioware did to fix them.   

Do you post BS hoping that no one will actually read the link?  

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

#1:  Massively has been a pretty harsh critic of TOR since before it launched.  So they aren't exactly "breaking cover."  I realize your thread wouldn't be nearly as clever without that analogy though.

#2:  Am I missing something here?  Where in that "article" does it mention anything about declining subs?  Unless there is a link inside the article I'm not seeing, it doesn't mention declining subs at all.  It's simply a very short blurb on some of the issues the 1.2 patch presented, and what Bioware did to fix them.   

^ This

Ref hates the game, yet continues to post about it daily for no other reason than to try and make it look as negative as humanly possible. It's quite sad to be entirely honest.

It's almost as if he doesn't even read the articles he links to, as evidenced in this very thread.

He is on these forums right now posting in other threads, yet hasn't bothered to respond here yet. I wonder why that is...

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I used the term "alluded to" deliberately based on their use of the term Tortanic in the title of an article. Massively voted SWTOR it's game of 2011 hardly "a pretty harsh critic"
    Originally posted by Kost

^ This

Ref hates the game, yet continues to post about it daily for no other reason than to try and make it look as negative as humanly possible. It's quite sad to be entirely honest.

It's almost as if he doesn't even read the articles he links to, as evidenced in this very thread.

He is on these forums right now posting in other threads, yet hasn't bothered to respond here yet. I wonder why that is...

I do have a life you know.
  • XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Oh no an mmo had patching trouble and pulled a feature...the sky is falling....subs are all gone...Bioware is finished!!!! Seriously is this going to end? MMOs will have trouble with patches, features will get pulled, bugs will occure, and people will unsubscribe from now until the sun explodes and we all die a fiery death. These threads are getting old, and your thread title has nothing to do with the article link you posted. 

• hh33hh33 Member Posts: 55

For some odd reason I hear  Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On", whenever another SWTOR story breaks.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by RefMinor

I used the term "alluded to" deliberately based on their use of the term Tortanic in the title of an article. Massively voted SWTOR it's game of 2011 hardly "a pretty harsh critic"

I looked at that more as them saying there's a real issue to talk about,  rather than the same old beaten to death horse that is discussed in circular motion over and over and over and....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

They didn't even ALLUDE to it.  But since you are so keen on jumping to conclusions, maybe the term "Tortanic" is a reference to the issues caused by the 1.2 patch.  You know...the actual subject of the blurb?  Or do you just think they'd reference something that they wouldn't even include in the article?

Lame attempt, man.  

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I am no fan of swtor, but "hindered by obstacles far worse than Titanic jokes" doesn't count as acknowledgement of dwindling subs.  This was more a story on the compensation package for the Friday server snafu.  True the writing is on the wall for swtor with free weekend trial events and 7 day free trials for past subscribers.  All efforts to artificially boost server populations, without going f2p.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

I think that Ref guy must be a terrible person. His agenda is so obvious. Nothing he says can be taken seriously. No concept originating from Ref can sustain validity as it came from Ref. The interface with Ref disintegrates fact.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

They didn't even ALLUDE to it.  But since you are so keen on jumping to conclusions, maybe the term "Tortanic" is a reference to the issues caused by the 1.2 pathc.  You know...the actual subject in the blurb?  Or do you just think they'd reference something that they wouldn't even include in the article?

Lame attempt, man.  

Yes, clearly they referenced a ship that had a slight glancing blow from a small ice cube and then sailed merrily on to New York.

Originally posted by ignore_me

I think that Ref guy must be a terrible person. His agenda is so obvious. Nothing he says can be taken seriously. No concept originating from Ref can sustain validity as it came from Ref. The interface with Ref disintegrates fact.

Finally some truth in this thread.  :)

Originally posted by ignore_me

Finally some truth in this thread.  :)

I would reply in more depth, but you know how it is, kittens to strangle and children's toys to stamp on, my work is never done.

They didn't even ALLUDE to it.  But since you are so keen on jumping to conclusions, maybe the term "Tortanic" is a reference to the issues caused by the 1.2 pathc.  You know...the actual subject in the blurb?  Or do you just think they'd reference something that they wouldn't even include in the article?

Lame attempt, man.  

Yes, clearly they referenced a ship that had a slight glancing blow from a small ice cube and then sailed merrily on to New York.

Cute, but it doesn't change the fact that you deliberately posted misinformation about the contents of an article in order to push forward your agenda.  

Either you don't read your own links, or you hope other people don't.  You got called on your BS.  Period.

• XovasXovas Member Posts: 10

Even if the game's subs fail, BioWare and EA will probably make it free to play or perhaps something like buy to play (seeing as it's EA.)

In all honesty I don't really see where the game was that bad, maybe it didn't live up to people's expectations, but it's an MMO. It has all the key features in MMOs from what I saw from the PvE perspective, and adds a few new features such as the companions and dialogue wheel. Sure it only added two new-ish features to an MMO, but as to why it's horrible and the worst game in history and all this other bs that people are saying I really have to ask myself - Are they serious? There's pleanty of other games that have been far worse in gaming history, and quite a few p2p games in the MMO genre itself.

I'd say, give this game a year and it might improve, whether that's with the game taking the f2p(or b2p) model, or whether that's something else.

Or I could be completely wrong and this game could have the same fate as other MMOs where the servers are shut down for good because of lack of subscriptions (similar to Asheron's Call 2.)

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Massively today bravely broke cover from the ranks of the gaming news sites to, well allude, to the fact that things might not be great with the subscription figures at SWTOR. I am guessing they don't want to look like complete muppets whilst singing from the hymn sheet as EA grovel before their investors in a week or two. I wonder if this is the flood gates opening or will the other news sites refuse to mention the clearly tanking subs.

I'm actually very suprised at this most dreadful attempt at trolling from ref. 50% of your post count must be smack talking TOR, good for you, whatever gets you out of bed in the morning I guess. I'm generally more happy playing games or talking about the ones I enjoy, rather than sitting ina forum bad mouthing a game 3 months after launch.

The article 'alludes' to nothing of your title, in fact I would say it's probably reportable under not titleworthy or pure baiting.

0/10

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

^ This

Over 2300 posts since July of 2011?

Lame attempt, man.  

Cute, but it doesn't change the fact that you deliberately posted misinformation about the contents of an article in order to push forward your agenda.  

Either you don't read your own links, or you hope other people don't.  You got called on your BS.  Period.

If you read the comments underneath the article, a number of massively readers were surprised by the open criticism and only one of them was me, the large gaming news sites really haven't mentioned the disappointing subs that SWTOR have had, to throw in the Tortanic reference in an article title is breaking cover from the others.
    Originally posted by loeslein

^ This

Efficient, short and to the point.
  • BoognisheBoognishe Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by loeslein

^ This

Efficient, short and to the point.

He's coming close to my post count..

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

the article reads;

At the end of every week, we round up the best and most popular news stories, exclusive features, and insightful columns published on Massively and then present them all in one convenient place. If you missed a big MMO or WoW Insider story last week, you've come to the right post.

BioWare ought to be basking in the accomplishment of sending the much-touted Legacy update off on its maiden voyage, but instead, Star Wars: The Old Republic has been hindered by obstacles far worse than Titanic jokes. The studio cut ranked PvP from the patch at the last minute, and then a maintenance patch blooper took the servers offline for the better part of Friday. To its credit, BioWare is compensating players for the downtime, and if you're really lucky, you won't even need to be level 50 or grind Legacy points to receive said compensation.

NOTHING alludes to subscription numbers, the "TORtanic" title is more likely to refer to the dissaster that was 1.2 on her maiden voage.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

This is not only an incorrect thread, its just a flat out stupid thread.

Yet another one that should just be completely deleted.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

It was only a matter of time really Ref. There's only so much money in the "Bullshit" petty cash to feed to the AdSites. Thank goodness, cause if I read another article about some fake ass 1.7 Million subscribers I'm gonna flip a wig..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

This discussion has been closed.