It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
So, there's some guerrilla forum posting going on over in the PVP forums on the Official site. One of the subcribers posted a constructive thread where he made suggestions on what they could change to 'fix' pvp. His original post was outright deleted after significant community activity. Now, various posters are engaged in a game of whack-a-mole with the mods (always a good sign) and continue to post the original thread content in differing titled threads. Here's the original post:
Originally Posted by redmarx
allow me to preempt the responses:
"biowarea and 1.2 are awesome you just haven't gotten used to the changes yet, well fine you predicted all the issues so biowarea should hire you and fire their lead developers, stop being an egomaniac, you're wrong, i'm an ea employee and i'm loving 1.2 and so are all these fictitious friends of mine, etc..."
here's the most important response: What is done is done, no use crying over 1.2 now, so what would you do to fix it?
Fine, i'll give it a shot. I expect to get flamed but alea iacta est, here we go:
- put all the ctrl+x type keybinds on the keybinds menu so they can be changed. (looking at you "ambience")
- add option to remove or move the red text spam in the middle of the screen and its accompanying noise.
- allow buffs/debuffs to be resized and moved independently from unit frames.
- reduce some of the costs on the legacy stuff, as an aggregate it is simply too much, this isn't korea.
- merge the servers: Time to stop being arrogant, admit that you screwed up and the game needs this step to improve and draw new players. Cross-server queueing will only help if people have healthy guilds and a server community to come back to after the warzone is done.
- rewards for losing become 75% of the rewards for winning in non-rated, 50% of the reward for winning in rated.
- if you get vote-kicked or leave a warzone early, you earn no rewards.
- reduce cost of pvp consumables.
- return to same credits, xp, etc rewards for warzones as pre-1.2.
- let unbalanced warzones shut down like they should.
- reduce the gap between recruit gear and bm gear by boosting the stats on recruit gear to help new players.
- add mods and enhancements to the pvp vendors covering stat combinations such as crit/surge, crit/power, etc - each costing 1/2 of the value of a bm or wh set piece.
- add a symbolic +1 to every stat on high rated warzone gear so it is ever so slightly better than war hero gear.
- equalise the expertise benefits to mitigation/healing/damage to the same ratios as pre-1.2.
- revert all class balance changes to pre-1.2 when the overall balance was frankly a lot better.
- after that (so going from pre-1.2 class balance), specific class balance changes for empire and republic mirror classes (i'll use empire terminology from here on) like so:
- reduce the duration of the uninterruptible buff on healing spec bounty hunter energy shield from 12 to 6 seconds.
- increase the number of targets benefiting from kolto missile to 8, increase the heal by 20%, reduce kolto residue to 3%/6%.
- reduce the cooldown of jolt for deception assassins to 6 seconds talented, and swap the positions of the talents fade and disjunction in their respective trees.
- for powertech, move puncture talent up to 4th tier of the advanced prototype tree.
- give snipers the 20% heal debuff, they do need it.
- remove friendly force pull extrication from sorcerors, give it to healing spec operatives with the same graphic as powertech grapple, replace extrication with a 25% damage reduction for 6 secs every 2mins defensive cooldown.
- reduce the damage of chain lightning by 10%.
- make thundering blast instant-cast and creeping terror do the same damage but over 6 seconds instead of 18 to encourage non-hybrid specs.
- reduce the damage of operative backstab by 20%, reduce its cooldown from 9 seconds to 6 seconds.
- since they cannot code an actual fix to the double hidden strike bug and the double force bending bug, simply use this bandaid: Dark infusion and hidden strike both have a 1.5 second cooldown (will prevent double dipping)
- increase the cooldown of undying rage to 3 mins with a talent in tier 4 of carnage tree to make it 90secs, keep camouflage at 50% with no booster talent.
- change juggernaut talent decimate to increase damage of smash by 5/10% rather than 10/20%.
Those are all the changes i feel qualified to make. There might be others that i have missed, i'm just writing this post as i go along. Evaluate the changes for 1 week, tweak class balance, then introduce rated warzones pre-season. Evaluate again for 1-2 weeks, tweak class balance, and then launch season 1.
Finally 2 very important things for biowarea:
- let people make level 50s on pts: There was no testing done for 1.2 because of this simple yet somehow inexplicably lacking process, give players the tools, add a npc that sells xp for free, it's that simple. The ranked warzone failure was due entirely to this, because all your "ranked warzone focus testing" on 1.2 pts had no participants.
- stop being arrogant, listen to your best players and follow their advice: They know your game better than you do. You might think you have solid internal metrics but you are wrong, your metrics are ****. Your best players analyse the metagame better than you can, with better contextual knowledge from actual gameplay experience, so listen to them carefully and you won't make mistakes like 1.2 again.
So many negative changes occurred because biowarea listened to the players who don't really understand the game and don't approach pvp in an analytical manner - learn to filter the feedback so you can ignore the whining of bad/inexperienced/incoherent players and listen to the analysis and experience of good players.
How can you differentiate the two?
You need to listen to people who have been level 50 in dedicated pvp guilds for a long time, who play in premades and spot the imbalances, and further down the line those with the highest ratings - engage with them and turn pvp class balance matters into a dialogue rather than a soliloquy.
Ps: Get ilum working. There's a long and well-written thread on this pvp forum for you to read and use for a full ilum redesign. Why have you ignored that thread? Swallow your misplaced pride, use the solutions savvy players are offering you for free, and get it done.