Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone help explain my theory...

13»

Comments

• NixlNixl Member Posts: 67

I am a hater technically OP.

I truly enjoyed the Kotor series as an RPG and what Kotor 2 set up for Revan and the coming war was amazing in my opinion.  I loved Kreia and I loved how Kotor 2 played with the themes of Star Wars.  Granted this excitement made my expectations for TORs's story was high, but what Bioware did with the story was more than mere disapointment.  TOR's story is so dumbed down and devoid of life or creativty that it hurts.  Revan and the Exile end up being pathetic in terms of characterization and story.  Outside that, TOR's story does not have much in my opinion.  It hurts to think a good RPG franchise was butchered in order to chase WoW's tail.  That is why I cannot let it go.   I think the story is so weak that I want Bioware to delcare TOR not canon.

Bioware has taken steps to ensure no company can ever do a prequel/sequel to fix the mess of a story that they created. They could have left Kotor 1 and 2 alone and just made this game about the war, but no.  Bioware had to shackle Revan, the Exile, and Kreia to a poorly written shallow story.  Unfortunately, TOR is the end of the Kotor series and it ends with a whimper.  In my opinion, TOR is easily Bioware's worst attempt at a story. 

While I love MMOs and this is a site for MMO chatter, the Kotor series did not need to be crapped on for a standard themepark MMO.

What is also annoying is that Bioware had plenty of funding(EA), time, developers, and other MMOs to learn from and TOR is standard at best.  While it will not die instantly, it will never be a leading MMO. They shackled an established RPG franchise to an average MMO.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

It's really sad how good of an acting job both Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson did in the prequels, while Hayden Christensen was so bad.

Also really bad how terrible they made Natele Portman look, she's a great actress - Oscar winner in fact.

• NixlNixl Member Posts: 67

As for the prequels, I really did not dislike Hayden Christensen's lines so much as Natelle Portman's. A lot of her lines just fell flat, even more so than Christensen's. 

I read someone proposing Christian Bale as Anakin and that strangely seems fitting to me. Not sure why.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

My thread is hijacked image

On the off topic topic, I wonder why Samual L Jackson even excepted the roll. I never thought he was a very good actor but I think he plays pissed off bad asses as well as anyone, but Windu was no pissed off bad ass.

Jackson must of not stayed on the sets when he didn't have any parts or he could of set Lucas straight on things. I've seen articles where everyone was afraid to tell Lucas no for anything but Jackson said he wanted a purple light saber and Lucas said it's blue or green and Jackson said NO it's purple and Lucas said OK LOL.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Bardus

On the off topic topic, I wonder why Samual L Jackson even excepted the roll. I never thought he was a very good actor but I think he plays pissed off bad asses as well as anyone, but Windu was no pissed off bad ass.

Jackson must of not stayed on the sets when he didn't have any parts or he could of set Lucas straight on things. I've seen articles where everyone was afraid to tell Lucas no for anything but Jackson said he wanted a purple light saber and Lucas said it's blue or green and Jackson said NO it's purple and Lucas said OK LOL.

Hope you didn't report him.. Seriously people go over board

I do hope your topic gets to the point you were seeking however..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by yumpinyimini

The left reveals the wealth of creativity, and care that went into the franchise.  Designs were crafted with the intent of breathing life into the SW universe, and make it seem real.  On the right, a blank slate devoid of any life and utilized to maximize profits..to  speed up the 'manufacturing process'.  

The left reveals a love for the SW universe, the right reveals a cynicism towards the fans..a 'it doesn't matter how we make it, or what we make..they will buy it' way of thinking.

I don't thtink that's fair... you are bascially saying that CGI work has no passion, imagination, or love put in to it. Or that it isn't art.

I disagree.

While I love model work and practical effects, I also love what CGI allows. The freedom of thought and sheer epic scope that can be created through it is amazing.

CGI is valid as a modern art form and can allow artists to realise incredible visions, far beyond what was possible with models.

In short, CGI was not the problem with the newer SW movies. The issues were far deeper then that and would have still existed if the movies had been made with practical effects.

I don't agree with your view at all, and I am no fan of SW past the original trilogy.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I think John Gaeta summed it up the best with his Academy Awards acceptance speech in 2000, when "The Matrix" won the Visual Effects category over "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace":

"...thank you very much for putting all of your efforts behind innovation, behind the spirit of doing visual effects in service to a story, and not the other way around."

Lucas lost his soul about the same time that Ewoks were invented, and Luke Skywalker was slipping his sister the tongue.

Originally posted by Opapanax

Hope you didn't report him.. Seriously people go over board

I do hope your topic gets to the point you were seeking however..

There's a few stating the taking the easy way out and taking pride in your work and giving it soul. They are exactly right but also...

No one has touched the thing where the originals changed how movies were made. Originals broke standards, ignored rules, done it their way, flipped off 'professional' critics, and basically not excepting "it can't be done". As Joda said " there is no try, there is only do". (I get that right?)

When I say they I mean everyone as Lucas did not go it alone in the originals. If they had an idea but nothing on earth was able to do it, they invented it. What they invented changed everything in Hollywood and the world for that matter. The originals copied nothing from anything. Whole technological trends go to this day from the advancements the originals invented. They became the trend setter not the trend followers which is what we got in the prequels with all the CGI and is what we are getting in TOR since TOR is afraid to take risk and become the trend setter and carry on the cultural changing phenomenon that was/is the originals.

True Star Wars fans will never except copying concepts from other places and trying to make them better. Hell no, Star Wars invents the concepts but if someone says it’s technically impossible then HA stand back and watch. We the fans will never except any less because we know how it all started, we seen it happen before, and how it literally changed the world. TOR has changed nothing, we gained nothing new from it, we expected it to because that is what Star Wars is all about. EA thought it could live off the name only but it doesn’t work like that, not with this IP it doesn’t.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

There's a few stating the taking the easy way out and taking pride in your work and giving it soul. They are exactly right but also...

No one has touched the thing where the originals changed how movies were made. Originals broke standards, ignored rules, done it their way, flipped off 'professional' critics, and basically not excepting "it can't be done". As Joda said " there is no try, there is only do". (I get that right?)

When I say they I mean everyone as Lucas did not go it alone in the originals. If they had an idea but nothing on earth was able to do it, they invented it. What they invented changed everything in Hollywood and the world for that matter. The originals copied nothing from anything. Whole technological trends go to this day from the advancements the originals invented. They became the trend setter not the trend followers which is what we got in the prequels with all the CGI and is what we are getting in TOR since TOR is afraid to take risk and become the trend setter and carry on the cultural changing phenomenon that was/is the originals.

True Star Wars fans will never except copying concepts from other places and trying to make them better. Hell no, Star Wars invents the concepts but if someone says it’s technically impossible then HA stand back and watch. We the fans will never except any less because we know how it all started, we seen it happen before, and how it literally changed the world. TOR has changed nothing, we gained nothing new from it, we expected it to because that is what Star Wars is all about. EA thought it could live off the name only but it doesn’t work like that, not with this IP it doesn’t.

The only thing original about Star Wars was it's use of special effects. Its story was just borrowed concepts from Flash Gordon and The Hidden Fortress.  It's true that Lucas had to push to get Star Wars made because science fiction had always been a money loser, but let's not go overboard and say that it was completely original and didn;t copy anything, because that is simply not true.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by ktanner3

The only thing original about Star Wars was it's use of special effects. Its story was just borrowed concepts from Flash Gordon and The Hidden Fortress.  It's true that Lucas had to push to get Star Wars made because science fiction had always been a money loser, but let's not go overboard and say that it was completely original and didn;t copy anything, because that is simply not true.

Ahem , 2001: A Space Odyssey . Not an arguement just a point of fact . It's because I'm old enough to remember the impact of this film on the industry and film goers.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Star Wars is the story of three great movies, and the loads of crap that followed.  I think Lucus must have had some talented help creating the first 3 movies because they were great films, with great special effects, great dialogue, and great acting.  Take a look at the 3 prequels, if we go with a budget to quality ratio, they are the worst 3 movies ever made.  The dialogue was idiotic, the acting was bad, and most of the plot barely made sense except as a vehicle for in jokes about the first 3 movies.  I've scene Natalie Portmen act well in other movies, but even she was god awful in the prequels.  I think it is mainly the dialogue at fault, but Haydenssen managed to make bad dialogue even worse with his horrible acting.  The prequels set the stage to really exploit the IP for quick cash, without care for it's reputation at all. 

TOR is another example of this.  The developers even admitted they were copying WoW.  This was done to have the biggest chance at making a quick buck.  They didn't bother with innovation, they just wanted to make a prettier WoW with a popular IP.  I'm glad it has failed.   Remember the first 3 movies fondly, but Star Wars is dead.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

Think I seen an interview where Lucas said Flash Gordon inspired some of his writing but I wouldn't go as far as say he copied it at all. He copied Nazism far more than anything Hollywood inspired him to do. I know nothing about The Hidden Fortress to comment on that.

What did Star Wars bring to the table? Here's just a couple because I not taking the time to research it all.

Star Wars was the first film to utilize sound spatially, that is, the first movie with surround sound. It also utilized low-frequencies to offer the audience a physical sensation as large space ships entered frame. The overall sound achievement of star wars was so groundbreaking that the Academy had to create a new award for what they had done in terms variety, creativity and believability.

A New Hope was the first Major studio film not to have opening credits. Lucas had to pay a hefty fine to the screen actor's

guide, but it was worth it, for nothing disturbed that dramatic first glimpse of the Star Destroyer. I know it's not invention but it had impact and who didn't jump when that star destroyer came overhead?

A New Hope was the 1st film not to constantly center the cameras a focal point. They wanted us to feel like there was much more going on than just a X-wing trying to get away from a tie fighter. They came up with better ways to use still motion to look more realistic, different camera angles to give illusions of grandeur. It was not just physical inventions but also techniques never before attempted.

Look at the philosophy Lucas used in creating the setting. No film before or after has mixed so many ideologies, cultures, philosophies, religions and so on in one film and made it work. Nazi imperialism, martial arts, mythology, wild wild west, si-fi, nobalism (is that a word?), sorcery, and a few more. Point is they were all in one film and blended into each other. No one had thought like that before and we actually liked it. It was different.

On to the nerdy side of it. All those nerds that do the conventions, well those nerds are taking props from the movies and turning them into everyday real life things for us to live with. They aren't going to stop until prosthetics look and work like Luke's hand, robots that look and work like R2-D2, holo vids, hover cars, and such. Inventions are being inspired by the movies, though no, not all inventions are inspired by Star Wars but if at all something can work or look like it did in those movies then you can bet it's going to find it's way to real life eventually.

Check this out for nerds, in the 2001 United Kingdom census, some 390,000 people stated their religion as Jedi, making it the fourth largest religion surveyed.

Ronald Regan used Star Wars to help win the cold war. By name only but still a real life world changing event. He started this whole thing with a space missile defense system and it so worried the Soviets that it played a major part in putting the Soviet Union bankrupt. Funny part is America never even came close to making the system work.

Need I go on cause this is getting way long but it can go on. We expect Star Wars to be different, do different and go big but TOR went trend, no innovation, and nothing to better our real lives with, which is what we expect from the franchise.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by Tardcore

Very excellent tirade on the whole Star Wars films phenomenon. The same logic applies to any entertainment medium you care to apply it to. Most recently MMOs.

>CLICKY<

(Off-topic) Holy crap, thanks for posting this! I remember Rich Hall from "Not Necessarily the News." Now there's a show from nostaliga-land. The precursor to The Daily Show.

(On topic) You can't go back. But you can't blame nostaliga on the crap-offerings of a now jaded director and a bloated corporation that is only motivated by profit with no regard for artistry or craftmanship. Yes, there are still good offering from the mass media - you just have to dig for it more. But everything these days is copy pasted because corporations listen to asshat marketers in suits instead of the people who possess the actual fucking creative vision.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

Think I seen an interview where Lucas said Flash Gordon inspired some of his writing but I wouldn't go as far as say he copied it at all. He copied Nazism far more than anything Hollywood inspired him to do. I know nothing about The Hidden Fortress to comment on that.

I didn't say he copied it all. I said he borrowed concepts from Flash Gordon and The Hidden Fortress. This was in response to you saying Star Wars was totally original and didn't copy anything.

What did Star Wars bring to the table? Here's just a couple because I not taking the time to research it all.

Star Wars was the first film to utilize sound spatially, that is, the first movie with surround sound.

Nope. That would be Fantasia, 1940

A New Hope was the first Major studio film not to have opening credits.

Nope. Again, Fantasia by Walt Disney. Far as the rest goes, learn more about the history of film. Also, any TRUE Star Wars fan knows that it was not called a New Hope when it was released, just Star Wars ;)

We expect Star Wars to be different, do different and go big but TOR went trend, no innovation, and nothing to better our real lives with, which is what we expect from the franchise.

Now you're falling into the trap that some others here make of thinking that you speak for everyone that likes Star Wars. You don't. I understand that TOR wasn't your cup of tea , but let's not go overboard and say Star Wars was completely original, didn't copy anything  and should always strive to "better" our lives.  We're talking about a game, not a cure for cancer.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by Calerxes

....to the fans of TOR why the haters just can't let it go.

I tried to put this into words but all I do is create a wall of run on text. I have a theory because TOR has generated such spite from so many people that it must go beyond social degeneration of people loving to hate like TOR's fans claim. I realized why I don't like the game and willing to bet I'm not the only one feeling my way.

I'm posting a picture that I bet most everyone has seen and I ask if anyone else can put into words how it pertains not to the movies but to TOR and the current state of the franchise.

I ask to keep your post constructive and on topic. I really want to know 1st if anyone understands what I'm doing and 2nd to help the fans understand why we don't want to simply shut up or 3rd that I really am simply out of my mind.

Two things..

1: How do you think Actors learn how to act? they do not go to R.A.D.A and have access to all the stuff in the first picture they act in empty spaces either on their own of in groups with nothing more than their imagination. Also most stage plays have very little production in them with regards to props and scenery but put on amazingly believable performances without the need to surround themselves with all the stuff in the first picture.

2: Guys, Star Wars was a kids film in 1977 and was still a kids film in 2005 but you are no longer a kid so see it with adult eyes and in the case of most Star Wars fans cynical eyes. All I can say is when the generation that was first exposed to the modern prequels grow up they'll be bemoaning the same thing as youylot of grumpy old men.  Just get over it, things chance thats a fact of life.  

So it's times change and we all need to change too? I wouldn't expect that from a guy with "disco will never die" in his avatar.

Sorry I missed this, the reason is that Disco was the start of a phenomenon I hold dear to my heart and that is Night Clubbing but it has evolved into so much more since its inception in the early 70's so I am thankful to people like Larry Levan, Tom Moulton and Giorgio Moroder but I wouldn't expect todays Club music to be exactly the same as early Disco no, just like you cannot expect things from your childhood to be the same forever. Star Wars should be remembered for pioneering a new era of action/sci-fi/adventure films not used to berate all that is modern with the nostalgia stick. as in the patheon of great films the original trilogy is low down on the list.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

If anyone wants to know why this site has so many haters, it's because when we give someone a compliment we get a flaming warning and our post removed.

I gave Ktanner3 a compliment, thanked him for a good debate, I got blamed for flaming and my post removed. Seriously, no joke.

Oh, or was it because of that other minor comment I made in the same post about EA and that article from a supposed paid forum toller? Naaa that couldn't be it could it? MMORPG wouldn't ever censer things like that would they? Reputable site and all it is. This site will never give up integrity to kiss ass with EA would they?

If anyone wants to know why this site has so many haters, it's because when we give someone a compliment we get a flaming warning and our post removed.

I gave Ktanner3 a compliment, thanked him for a good debate, I got blamed for flaming and my post removed. Seriously, no joke.

Oh, or was it because of that other minor comment I made in the same post about EA and that article from a supposed paid forum toller? Naaa that couldn't be it could it? MMORPG wouldn't ever censer things like that would they? Reputable site and all it is. This site will never give up integrity to kiss ass with EA would they?

Even though I didn't get a chance to read it, thanks for the compliment. If you'd like to send me a message on what you said, I'm fine with that.To me it was just a debate, nothing personal between us.