Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you miss a General Chat channel? - POLL

Comments

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by Vorthanion

You're nothing but a bunch of spiteful people.  If you turn off the general chat channels anwyay, then why begrudge people the tools they like to use for socializing?  What I find amazing is that many of you who hate general chat channels are the very same people I've seen who hate soloers and demand games that require everyone to group.  There's a term for people like you.  Control Freaks!

A lot of hate there, man.

I would probably be alright with it, if the default is that they're disabled, and people who feel the need to "chat" outside of game mechanics could then turn it on.  They're sort of like these forums, in that the ability to say whatever comes to mind, seems to encourage people to say whatever comes to mind, and 85% of that type of communication is pretty much worthless. 

General chat was my first real big turn-off for WoW (and I think that was only zone specific, right?)  I remember thinking "what the hell are these people talking about, and why do they think I care?"

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Bunks

You're a month behind the times, megaphones were not in the CS as of last week. Hence why they probably said fk global chat. I guess they feel the same way as many other large participation entertainments, that you the individual, are not that important that everyone needs to hear what you have to say.

Careful, box sales depend on everyone feeling special, particularly when they aren't.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Maybe just maybe people should see if not having a global chat will actually impact their gameplay in anyway when the next BWE starts. Before people start throwing their opinion around as to whether Anet should or shouldn't have it.

I certainly won't miss the crap that usually fills such a channel if it doesn't get put in. 

• I think in  general MMOs are well served when they follow normal socialization patterns.  There is no global chat in real life.  But people can get onto various platforms to communicate with lots of random people (forums, bars, etc).

I think you will get less strange things like gold seller spam if you follow this sort of pattern.  The fact that Aion's starting areas were completely taken over by gold sellers on release is an indication that global chat in an area really isn't designed right.

You want to talk to alot of people go use a thing (in game application) that is meant for such things.  You want to talk to people in the zone about doing stuff in the zone tells work great for that and general chat actually doesn't.  You want to find a team, group finder tools work better than general chat.  Having genereal chat actually often makes a group finder tool not even get utilized because that is what people are used to using.

General chat is a cumbersome and in-elegant semi-solution to many things.  It should be chopped up into its important parts and made into separate components that satify all these needs in ways that work well.  Right now in many games its a half-ass solution to 5 things.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by gestalt11

I think in  general MMOs are well served when they follow normal socialization patterns.  There is no global chat in real life.  But people can get onto various platforms to communicate with lots of random people (forums, bars, etc).

I think you will get less strange things like gold seller spam if you follow this sort of pattern.  The fact that Aion's starting areas were completely taken over by gold sellers on release is an indication that global chat in an area really isn't designed right.

You want to talk to alot of people go use a thing (in game application) that is meant for such things.  You want to talk to people in the zone about doing stuff in the zone tells work great for that and general chat actually doesn't.  You want to find a team, group finder tools work better than general chat.  Having genereal chat actually often makes a group finder tool not even get utilized because that is what people are used to using.

General chat is a cumbersome and in-elegant semi-solution to many things.  It should be chopped up into its important parts and made into separate components that satify all these needs in ways that work well.  Right now in many games its a half-ass solution to 5 things.

+1

• crossfire3crossfire3 Member Posts: 13

You're nothing but a bunch of spiteful people.  If you turn off the general chat channels anwyay, then why begrudge people the tools they like to use for socializing?  What I find amazing is that many of you who hate general chat channels are the very same people I've seen who hate soloers and demand games that require everyone to group.  There's a term for people like you.  Control Freaks!

+ 10, no one can justify not having a general chat when EVERYONE has the option to turn it off, stop trying to ruin it for the people who actually enjoy general chat.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

I am personally not affected as I never participate in /general. However, I think it wouldnt hurt to add it later it on.

There should just be an assigned /off-topic channel where people on the server can just talk about random stuff. It's kinda pointless but some people enjoy it and it helps build community.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

My number reason for being happy is this is something else that hampers gold sellers and doesn't hurt the game.  

Imagine that, imaging people play multiplayer in a multiplayer game.  I'm sure if I was playing football, I"d expect everyone on the field to be playing football. It would be wierd of there was that one guy who was on the 20 hash markark with a bat tossing a ball in the air. 

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by Asheram

Originally posted by garretth

You're nothing but a bunch of spiteful trolls.  If you turn off the general chat channels anwyay, then why begrudge people the tools they like to use for socializing?  What I find amazing is that many of you who hate general chat channels are the very same people I've seen who hate soloers and demand games that require everyone to group.  There's a term for people like you.  Control Freaks!

Just think of all the gold seller spammers, the guild recruiting spammers, the drunk, angst-ridden degenerates...we really don't need to hear that stuff in general.

I am still failing to see how any of that affects you if you have the OPTION to disable general and use it?

Gold Spammers effect everyone.  Why not just join AOL if you're that hungry to chat with strangers. Or chat roulette. 

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I won't miss it one bit. I talk on vent most of the time so no big deal for me.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Nah, I wouldn't miss it.  I've seen plenty of nonsensical garbage in them over the years.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by crossfire3

+ 10, no one can justify not having a general chat when EVERYONE has the option to turn it off, stop trying to ruin it for the people who actually enjoy general chat.

You mean the people who enjoy spamming and trolling other people in general chat? Because I see more of that, than any other form of discussion.

You also get people selling stuff, and LFG in gen chat, instead of the other channels. Or you get gen chat in LFG channels. Have you ever tried LFG when everyone is spamming?

You talk about not being fair, what about the people who are trying to find a group, in a multiplayer game!

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Originally posted by dontadow

You're nothing but a bunch of spiteful trolls.  If you turn off the general chat channels anwyay, then why begrudge people the tools they like to use for socializing?  What I find amazing is that many of you who hate general chat channels are the very same people I've seen who hate soloers and demand games that require everyone to group.  There's a term for people like you.  Control Freaks!

Just think of all the gold seller spammers, the guild recruiting spammers, the drunk, angst-ridden degenerates...we really don't need to hear that stuff in general.

I am still failing to see how any of that affects you if you have the OPTION to disable general and use it?

Gold Spammers effect everyone.  Why not just join AOL if you're that hungry to chat with strangers. Or chat roulette. 

If you turn of the general chat, how would Gold Spammers affect you? Do realize that Gold Spammers will still exist, but they will instead use Area chat to spam in populated areas.. 

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Originally posted by Adalwulff

You mean the people who enjoy spamming and trolling other people in general chat? Because I see more of that, than any other form of discussion.

You also get people selling stuff, and LFG in gen chat, instead of the other channels. Or you get gen chat in LFG channels. Have you ever tried LFG when everyone is spamming?

You talk about not being fair, what about the people who are trying to find a group, in a multiplayer game!

People trying to find a group still have whatever grouping system GW2 intended to have, regardless of whether general chat exists or not. The General Chat is OPTIONAL, much like the item mall: you only use it if you choose to. 

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by dontadow

Lol why should I have to find another avenue to use a chat feature in a game I have purchased?And like already mentioned gold spammers will just use another approach to advertise and considering you can buy gold now with an item purchased in the cash shop I find your argument even less valid.

Why not just turn off general chat and stop worrying about what others do.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Amen to that, amen!

Alas, it is so human. "I don't like it, so nobody else must have it."

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Always turn it off or stick to guild chat myself, so NO not at all. I can do without out Old Chuck being referenced over and over, not to mention the inevitable my game is better arguments.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Completely okay without general chat. I never use it to begin with, and *gasp* I still somehow manage to have social interaction in games between my guildmates, friends, forums, etc. Besides, lately people seem to prefer voice chat, a fact that by the way, I do not approve of >_>

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

First of all, it's not us ruining anything, it's a decision A-net made, it wasn't the users here at MMORPG.com. IF they listened to these forums I'd think GW2 would be a completely different game, and a sandbox to boot.

The question was will you miss general chat? Many are saying no, and explaining why.  -10 to both of you. Leave others to their opinions and have your own, there's no reason to start a pissing match on the matter.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

People trying to find a group still have whatever grouping system GW2 intended to have, regardless of whether general chat exists or not. The General Chat is OPTIONAL, much like the item mall: you only use it if you choose to. 

You miss my point, the gen chat channel is always abused, and used for purposes other than what it was designed for, so Anet got rid of it. AS you can see, many people here support it.

And try to stay on topic, this is not about the CS.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

You miss my point, the gen chat channel is always abused, and used for purposes other than what it was designed for, so Anet got rid of it. AS you can see, many people here support it.

And try to stay on topic, this is not about the CS.

Language is abused.

Internet is abused.

Children are abused.

Do you want to forbid speech, internet and children as well?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

"Hmmm, I seem to need some help with this event/mob/whatever, guess I'll just hop on general for a minute and see if anyone can give me a ha- OH WAIT."

Sorry, but removing global/general chat completely is a bad idea. It's useful for finding like-minded people to chat with (despite the trolls), finding groups, a guild, etc. I've made a few friends in the past just BS'ing in general while waiting for a dungeon queue to pop, or while grinding crafting mats.

General chat is a vital part of the social aspect of MMOs.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by ForumPvP
    GW2 best feature so far.

i wouldn't say its the best feature but its definitely a good one IMO

• crossfire3crossfire3 Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Distopia

First of all, it's not us ruining anything, it's a decision A-net made, it wasn't the users here at MMORPG.com. IF they listened to these forums I'd think GW2 would be a completely different game, and a sandbox to boot.

The question was will you miss general chat? Many are saying no, and explaining why.  -10 to both of you. Leave others to their opinions and have your own, there's no reason to start a pissing match on the matter.

First off it is ruining something for those who like speaking to other people using general chat,  people shouldent be forced to buy something like a megaphone in order to socialize with people across the game. Secondly I never said it was you guys ruining anything I just agreed with Vorthanion that the people here are trying to justify getting rid of something that they could EASILY ignore with just turning the function off, rather then getting rid of it all togather. Also many people do agree that their should be a general chat and I woulden't be suprised if A-Net does listen to the complaints and implements it after launch.

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139

I wonder how this will affect the community in-game in the long run :(

I also wonder how this "feature" would have been received in any other highly anticipated MMO.

L2P TERA combat: