Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tell me please, why is Eve that good?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Sigh, every time I read a good thread like this I get a longing to return to EVE.

Just don't have the time to devote to the goals I want to pursue, but perhaps one day.

Good luck and enjoy it for me. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TroubleHunterTroubleHunter Member UncommonPosts: 70

Quitted EVE because it was too damn difficult to learn, too boring, and i was too lonely.

I'm not dumb/stupid, in fact, i'm very experienced with mmorpgs... but i found myself with a LOT OF QUESTIONS, A LOT... after a month playing, that is too much for me. 

I played alone for a month, you don't see many players around since the universe is too big, everybody is too busy doing the large amount of available quests... 

WORST PART:

PVE/PVP is dumb, it's all about numbers, if you have enough guns, you kill the enemy, if you don't, you will be wiped, no exceptions, NO SKILLS ENVOLVED...........you can't say: "i'm good, i will destroy this enemy because i got the moves, i know how to manage my abilities", just doesn't work that way.

Bonus: you lose your entire ship if you get defeated....and ships are damn expensive.

Good luck buddy.

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by Lunnian

WORST PART:

PVE/PVP is dumb, it's all about numbers, if you have enough guns, you kill the enemy, if you don't, you will be wiped, no exceptions, NO SKILLS ENVOLVED...........you can't say: "i'm good, i will destroy this enemy because i got the moves, i know how to manage my abilities", just doesn't work that way.

Edit: meh.. the web I linked is now asking for a subscription :( but ye... they were saying that PVP is about skill and knowledge and that you're wrong and stuff.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

personally i dont knwo why itis...its freaking boring and the amount of time is unessesary for anyone to be putting into a game just to be able to understand how to play it. game is made for freaking genius players and math maticians...sumthing my math teacher would enjoy...

But that is just me...i played it for a week and alost cryed when i coudnt even figure out wtf to do...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Lunnian

Quitted EVE because it was too damn difficult to learn, too boring, and i was too lonely.

I'm not dumb/stupid, in fact, i'm very experienced with mmorpgs... but i found myself with a LOT OF QUESTIONS, A LOT... after a month playing, that is too much for me. 

I played alone for a month, you don't see many players around since the universe is too big, everybody is too busy doing the large amount of available quests... 

WORST PART:

Bonus: you lose your entire ship if you get defeated....and ships are damn expensive.

Good luck buddy.

Highlighted the problem area for you.  Yes, playing EVE alone can be quite challenging, I did it quite a bit at times, but when I was part of the larger community was when I had the most fun.

Had you hooked up with a good Corporation they could have answered many of your questions (like you would have found out EVE actually only has a small number of quests in comparision to a standard MMO) and that most people actually aren't doing them.

EVE's PVE is sort of dumb, but then again, so is most MMO combat, you rarely win on your skils, but more on your level/gear vs that of the NPC, not much different here actually, and yes, you can learn to fly skillfully to let you master tougher encounters tougher than your ship.

PVP is an entirely different affair and most certainly is not about who has the most and or larger guns, so many factors involved.

As far as experience with MMORPG's go, you've never played anything like EVE before (or will since) so you are a virtual virgin in this sort of gaming environment.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by Scypheroth

personally i dont knwo why itis...its freaking boring and the amount of time is unessesary for anyone to be putting into a game just to be able to understand how to play it. game is made for freaking genius players and math maticians...sumthing my math teacher would enjoy...

But that is just me...i played it for a week and alost cryed when i coudnt even figure out wtf to do...

It's funny. For the very same reasons you don't like EVE, I like it.

I like the challenge. I like not knowing everything about it after only a few days of playing. I like that even though I've learned a lot about it, there is always more to learn. I like that it's just...*different* from other MMOs, and has its own sense of gameplay and style.

For those reasons and more, EVE is never boring, or stale. But I can see how not everyone can appreciate it in the same way.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• Bozo256Bozo256 Member Posts: 74

EVE is good because it's a Sandbox where conflict is driven entirely by players for real reasons.  Player conflict is not caused by artificial barriers put in place by game designers.

• SomeguynamedSomeguynamed Member UncommonPosts: 69

I play Eve because:

1. It's the only game that lets you progress without having to grind like all the other MMORPG's

2. Once you become good....elite......Godly...whatever you want to call it, you will always stay that way, despite what nerfs / updates / patches developers roll out.    Not like in WoW, or all the other MMORPG's, if you make a good character and invest a lot of time into it, tomorrow the class gets nerfed by developers.  Or tomorrow the developers come out with new gear / higher level cap.  You have to work your butt off endlessly to get those things. 

In eve, you don't have to do that.  Once you get to the top, it actually requires less effort to stay on top.  Much less effort than the journey up.

3. It has spaceships and I love space ships and sci-fi.

4. Best investment for your time and effort.  Since it's a sandbox, I don't see this game dying for the foreseeable future. 

9 years after this game's release, its still growing bigger than ever with 400k + subscribers.  It just launched in Japan by Nexon, so there will be more people coming to the playerbase in Tranquility (I assume from Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan).

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Someguynamed

2. you will always stay that way, despite what nerfs / updates / patches developers roll out.    Not like in WoW, or all the other MMORPG's, if you make a good character and invest a lot of time into it, tomorrow the class gets nerfed by developers. 

While you won't need to grind for new gear, all your months of training can go down the sink when CCP decides to make some wonderful balancing changes and you will need to train new skills to fly new ships as your current fleet has just become non-viable.

I guess this depends on how much skill points you get and how much specialized you are but overall, it is about the same as other MMOs, I think.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Eve isnt  a game that you can just muscle though, Back when i played with my old fleet my job was to fly into the biggest ship and put the shallowest orbit around it that i could with a warp disrupter. anyone in my area was going No where. since i used the fastest ship i could find (usualy flew a Jaguar or Wolf) at the speed i was moving at they couldnt hit me, they would have to rely on another ship doing that.

This is why i loved the game, in PvP if you aren't going in with a plan you aren't coming out. that feeling you get when you drop a titan, its beautiful. Basically it means you cost someone Billions of credits. 

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by Gdemami

2. you will always stay that way, despite what nerfs / updates / patches developers roll out.    Not like in WoW, or all the other MMORPG's, if you make a good character and invest a lot of time into it, tomorrow the class gets nerfed by developers. 

While you won't need to grind for new gear, all your months of training can go down the sink when CCP decides to make some wonderful balancing changes and you will need to train new skills to fly new ships as your current fleet has just become non-viable.

I guess this depends on how much skill points you get and how much specialized you are but overall, it is about the same as other MMOs, I think.

I'm talking about financial aspect of it.  I think in Eve, success or "godliness", is measured in how much ISK you have, and whether you can afford to fly whatever you want.

So what if CCP make some balancing changes?  Just start training those skills (if you haven't trained them already), and buy those ships when you can fly them.

Personally, there is nothing CCP can re-balance to nerf my character, because he has 104 million SP, with all Cruisers / Battleships / Recon Ships / Stealth Bombers / HAC's, etc. trained to V.

When it comes to financial aspect of it, I just made 45 - 50 bil from the patch because I had the capital to invest in minerals.

Whereas if you are just starting, you don't have the capital and you cannot invest even if you want to, or even if you know the price will go up.  You have to find a way to accumulate the capital.

That's why I say, Eve actually becomes much easier after you've been playing for a while.  Whereas in WoW and other MMO's, it doesn't matter if you've been playing for 5 years. 

If the developers roll out new gear / level cap, you'll have to grind towards it just like everybody else.  If they re-balance the classes, your entire class might become crap.....then what are you gonna do, abandon the character that you've been working on for so long and re-roll a new character?  Or keep playing on that crap character?  Whereas in Eve, if they nerf a ship....so what?  Just fly something else.

I think in Eve, success or "godliness", is measured in how much ISK you have, and whether you can afford to fly whatever you want.

False premise.

Not much I can add to rest of your post as it makes little sense...

I think in Eve, success or "godliness", is measured in how much ISK you have, and whether you can afford to fly whatever you want.

False premise.

I'd like to hear what part of this is false and doesn't make sense :)

I might just be wrong, maybe I have a biased view on games like WoW, Rift, or Aion, but not until you can point out where I'm wrong =P

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Coldhatez

I've heard alot of talk about eve, that is's a good game etc.

Well i played the trail, i kinda liked it but it has a hard learning curve

I want to purchase the game, but how long does it take me to understand this game (average)

Thanks!

If I were to sum it up in one sentence, I'd say that what "makes EVE so great" is that everything you do matters.

It's virtually impossible to do anything that doesn't affect other players in some way. When you buy even a unit of ammo from the market, you're affecting miners, traders, missioners, haulers, manufacturers, inventors... and everyone that depends on or is affected by those professions (ie: essentially everyone).

Other MMOs contain a certain amount of player interaction, and you're generally pretty tightly constrained in your ability to change the game experience of other players. In EVE, there is nothing but player interaction, and it's literally impossible to avoid changing the game experience of other players.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

False premise.

I might just be wrong, maybe I have a biased view on games like WoW, Rift, or Aion, but not until you can point out where I'm wrong =P

ISK is not a good measure of "godliness" in EVE. Now some players do define their success by accumulating wealth, but for the rest, ISK is not in and of itself power, but one tool which can be used to gain it. It's all very well having enough ISK to buy a Titan, but actually translating that ISK into a ship that you are able to fly and use is another matter altogether.

EVE's history is replete with stories of players who thought as you did, tried to "buy win", and ended up as a laughing stock on the forums as they got scammed or ganked out of their shiny new winmobile and the tale posted for everyone to have a good laugh at.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by Malcanis

False premise.

ISK is not a good measure of "godliness" in EVE. Now some players do define their success by accumulating wealth, but for the rest, ISK is not in and of itself power, but one tool which can be used to gain it. It's all very well having enough ISK to buy a Titan, but actually translating that ISK into a ship that you are able to fly and use is another matter altogether.

EVE's history is replete with stories of players who thought as you did, tried to "buy win", and ended up as a laughing stock on the forums as they got scammed or ganked out of their shiny new winmobile and the tale posted for everyone to have a good laugh at.

People who have a lot of isk, can hire Pandemic Legion to go after another alliance.  How is that not power? =P  There are people with over a trillion ISK. 

You're right about the laughing stock part.  If you get a supercap,  you have to at least know what you're doing, and how to fit one.

However, those laughing stocks with failfits who lose their supercaps are usually RMT'ers who bought their ISK with real money, carebears who cannot afford to lose the ship they just lost, or botters.  In other words dumb people.

I think the definition of elite or "godliness" in this game is: if you can afford to PvP in really expensive ships that other players cannot afford, such as Supers, without the use of RMT.  You also have to know what you're doing, and be able to replace it when you lose it.  At the same time, you don't need to grind for your isk, all you have to do is login for 15 - 30 minutes once every other day to make all that ISK.

On a last note, losing ships is inevitable.  It doesn't matter how well-fitted your Titan / Supercarrier is, or how skilled the pilot is, if you get primaried in a supercap fight you will die. 

So losing a well-fit supercap in a fight, and replacing it right afterward, is nothing to be ashamed of.  I think it actually looks good.  Because it shows you can afford to fly it frequently, like how an average player can afford a dreadnaught. (Some alliances also offer supercap reimbursement on alliance sanctioned ops).

I think the definition of elite or "godliness" in this game is: if you can afford to PvP in really expensive ships that other players cannot afford, such as Supers, without the use of RMT. 

Yeah, because supercaps are max level.

I encourage you to hit the trial and try out the game for yourself instead of making false assumptions about the game...

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Malcanis

False premise.

People who have a lot of isk, can hire Pandemic Legion to go after another alliance.  How is that not power? =P  There are people with over a trillion ISK. 

The Drone Russian Federation hired PL cuz they had a lot of isk, the DRF is now history. What exactly is power again? :P

I think the definition of elite or "godliness" in this game is: if you can afford to PvP in really expensive ships that other players cannot afford, such as Supers, without the use of RMT. 

Yeah, because supercaps are max level.

I encourage you to hit the trial and try out the game for yourself instead of making false assumptions about the game...

First of all, you didn't read the entire thing....I said:

I think the definition of elite or "godliness" in this game is: if you can afford to PvP in really expensive ships that other players cannot afford, such as Supers, without the use of RMT.  You also have to know what you're doing, and be able to replace it when you lose it.  At the same time, you don't need to grind for your isk, all you have to do is login for 15 - 30 minutes once every other day to make all that ISK.

Second, I've already downloaded and played the trial 3 years ago.  I currently have a 104 million SP character, and a 65 million SP supercap alt in a major alliance, and I have the ISK to continually fly and replace expensive ships....such as supers,  without the use of RMT, or having to spend hours grinding for ISK everyday. 

It doesn't have to be a supercap, I can fly faction cruisers and battleships all I want.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

My personal measure of success in a game is whether or not I am having fun.  Matters very little to me what other players "think" of me or level of skill.  it does matter to a lot of people, and its part of what makes this game entertaining for ME personally.

I am having a lot of fun in EVE, and its quite refreshing change from the theme park.

I find I can enjoy this game sometimes just by reading about the crap that goes on .. and people trying to out-godlike each other ...

Its a sandbox so, there are lots of different ways to play and different measures of success .. being able to fly expensive pvp ships probably doesnt matter to say .. and industrialist.

and being part of the biggest baddest alliance might be a measure for some, others are content hunting lone wolfs in small gangs ...

hard to measure success of different players who have different goals and definitions of "success"

First of all, you didn't read the entire thing....

On the contrary. I have read it all and carefully, I even read between the lines...

First of all, you didn't read the entire thing....

On the contrary. I have read it all and carefully, I even read between the lines...

Except, you just can't point out which part you think doesn't make sense, and why :)

• I.GunslingerI.Gunslinger Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Pin_Cushion

-Multiple accounts are nearly mandatory.  This has gotten a lot worse with the intro of PLEX and the Power of Two sales from CCP.  Nearly everyone has an alt account.  They use them to scout.  They use them to haul stuff around.  They use them to bait.  They use them as buff bots.  If you don't have multiple accounts then you're simply at a disadvantage to a surprising amount of the player base.

This is the biggest reason holding me back from getting into EVE. I hate multi-boxing, and the idea of paying for two accounts is ridiculous to me. I'm not sure why, I would have no problem owning two cars, or two houses if I could afford it, and I can more than afford two accounts, but just the idea of having to do it to be competitive goes against something in me.

I've toyed with the idea of just having one account and building that up until it can pay for itself with PLEX, and then starting another account. I have no idea if that would still be helpful or not, but it's the only way I could see myself doing it.

It's a shame really, I love the idea of the freedom that sandbox gameplay provides.

Except, you just can't point out which part you think doesn't make sense, and why :)

I can and it was done by other posters already.

I just do not feel like going through very same discussion about EVE misconceptions again and again...it gets tiring, therefore I can only encourage you try out the game for yourself...

Fly safe.

Originally posted by I.Gunslinger

This is the biggest reason holding me back from getting into EVE.

Such reason is non-sense and I would say it is very bad excuse.

You can enjoy the game with single account just fine...multiply accounts are convenience only.