Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets find a loading screen

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I had to re post this wonderful free exploration video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7qSKgjNb0E

And just for fun lets count all the loading screens between zones

p.s: just being ironic, there are none.

GW2 is seamles world, and here is the proof

Comments

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

To be fair, that's not entirely true. There is loading between the larger areas, but they're few and far between.

This game certainly isn't instanced like GW1. It is definitely an open-world.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139

That's ONE zone. Kessex Hills.

Each zone is amazingly large, so it's not a problem.

There's no hype. Nope.

L2P TERA combat:

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I can't wait to play GW2 like the next guy on any GW2 forum, but let's not kid ourselves here. What you've shown is footage of a player traveling around 1 of the 25 zones. GW2 is not a seamless world and there are portals in-between zones (seen them and several beta testers have told me) and players will experience loading screens when teleporting, entering & exiting a personal story instance and travelling between these portals.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

There are seams.  They just aren't as prevalent as some seem to think they are.  The zones themselves look enormous and it appears you can spend a great deal of time playing without ever hitting a load screen.

But remember, so long as there is a single load screen in the game anywhere, some will still call it an instanced game.  No amount of seamless video is going to dissuade them.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

To be fair, that's not entirely true. There is loading between the larger areas, but they're few and far between.

Ok, ill bite

Show me a video where loading between zones happens.

But not when entering city , or instanced dungeon.

And not when teleporting.

Video where you run over certain line, and loading happens...

Go on

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

That is one zone so there wont be any loading screens. There are several "areas" within each large zone.

However, I have not seen the loading screens between zones at all, I dont think they have been in any of the gameplay videos that have been released. 

Since the zones are pretty huge, and you are unlikely to be travelling between them too often(is this true?) then it shouldnt be a problem, but because the zones are so large it leads me to beleive that the loading screens between them will be quite long. You dont "go over a certain line and a loading screen happens" you go through a portal to the next zone, and then the loading screen happens. I would be interested to see these. 

Has anyone got a link to a vid where someone travels between zones and show the loading screen?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Master10K

I can't wait to play GW2 like the next guy on any GW2 forum, but let's not kid ourselves here. What you've shown is footage of a player traveling around 1 of the 25 zones. GW2 is not a seamless world and there are portals in-between zones (seen them and several beta testers have told me) and players will experience loading screens when teleporting, entering & exiting a personal story instance and travelling between these portals.

Portals , teleporting, entering cities and instances yes.

But just show me one video of someone running trough the world , crossing invisible line and having to load

Originally posted by Master10K

Portals , teleporting, entering cities and instances yes.

But just show me one video of someone running trough the world , crossing invisible line and having to load

Wait until the beta this month and do it yourself. I know I will.

Ok, ill bite

Go on

That's not possible for me to do at the moment.

You'll see soon enough for yourself. Stop trying to get people to break NDA. The press hasn't shown any. There is no footage. 

L2P TERA combat:

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by stragen001

That is one zone so there wont be any loading screens. There are several "areas" within each large zone.

However, I have not seen the loading screens between zones at all, I dont think they have been in any of the gameplay videos that have been released. 

Since the zones are pretty huge, and you are unlikely to be travelling between them too often(is this true?) then it shouldnt be a problem, but because the zones are so large it leads me to beleive that the loading screens between them will be quite long. You dont "go over a certain line and a loading screen happens" you go through a portal to the next zone, and then the loading screen happens. I would be interested to see these. 

Has anyone got a link to a vid where someone travels between zones and show the loading screen?

Don't see why loading screens would be long. It doesn't make sense to load the entire region instead of the immediate area you are entering. In a fully seamless world you don't load everything now do you. It loads as you go and I have no doubt GW2 will be similar when it comes to regions.

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

Even Anet themselves said that there will be loading screens between zones.

Inb4 "lol source??"

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

I had to re post this wonderful free exploration video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7qSKgjNb0E

And just for fun lets count all the loading screens between zones

Lobo, the game is zoned.    Like EQ1.  At least it does not have instance channels for each area that splits the community.

BOOYAKA!

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Also you should know that loading screens are veeery fast. It's between 2 seconds - 15 seconds (unless there's update)

Watch this video starting at 44:57, Elisabeth explains the loading between zones.

The good news is that it's practically imperceptible, but you do travel through a portal. Also, there is persistance - so if you kill a mob on one side of the portal, walk through it to the other side and then return to where you killed the mob - the mob will still be dead.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Ok, ill bite

Go on

That is like taking the bet but putting conditions on it like, "Ok, I will take that bet, but I have to win."

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ElifiaElifia Member Posts: 78

As far as I have seen, during press beta you couldn't go to most zones. In this video at about 1:20 you'll see a 'between zones' portal, but it sends you elsewhere instead because said zone is closed for that beta.

Same story in this video at 13:37, except that this one doesn't redirect you to a different zone. Also, in the same video, you'll see at 4:22, right after a flash-forward, that he's suddenly in a lvl 15-25 zone (the nearby heart is lvl 16) and his map shows he walked like 20 yards, and at the start of his path you'll see a big green portal icon.

"I'll lead, you follow."

Originally posted by Elifia

As far as I have seen, during press beta you couldn't go to most zones. In this video at about 1:20 you'll see a 'between zones' portal, but it sends you elsewhere instead because said zone is closed for that beta.

Same story in this video at 13:37, except that this one doesn't redirect you to a different zone. Also, in the same video, you'll see at 4:22, right after a flash-forward, that he's suddenly in a lvl 15-25 zone (the nearby heart is lvl 16) and his map shows he walked like 20 yards, and at the start of his path you'll see a big green portal icon.

In the second video you linked, it does black out at about 4:15.

What I'm wondering is, why are they* trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes? Are they afraid people will whine about it? I don't see the reason why, because each zone is massive.

*they: the press. Or ArenaNet giving the orders what the press does and does not show.

L2P TERA combat:

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

People, why complicate stuff. This are the facts.

- Game world is splitted into HUGE zones, and when I say huge I'm mean 30+ mins of running from one end to another.

- There is short loading screen when you go from one zone to another. Depending on your specs from minimum of 5 seconds to 30 seconds.

- There is a super fast loading screen when you use fast travel. When I say fast it's 1-3 seconds.

- When you enter a portal (in Divinity's Reach), there is NO loading screen.

• ElifiaElifia Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by Himemiya

Originally posted by Elifia
    In the second video you linked, it does black out at about 4:15.
    What I'm wondering is, why are they* trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes? Are they afraid people will whine about it? I don't see the reason why, because each zone is massive.

*they: the press. Or ArenaNet giving the orders what the press does and does not show.

If you watched more closely, you'd also see that he was lvl 9 right before the blackout, and nowhere near the zone portal. Then after the blackout he's suddenly lvl 12. I'm sure it's not a conspiracy or whatever, they just edited out the part where he was leveling instead of exploring.

"I'll lead, you follow."

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

wow loved the way the world seems populated and not dead

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

There will be loading screens when you switch between zones/instances.  Not sure how often you will need to switch zones/instances though so you could end up spending an entire day playing in one zone with no loading screen at all.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

There's no "portals" for zones... You can walk around this 1 zone and killing everything and then suddenly you rush in to a group of mobs and you're killed in a sip because you found yourself in a 10 levels higher zone than you are... So no, there ARE NO PORTALS when you travel trough 1 zone to the next zone... The loading screen only happens when you teleport (it's better to have a loading screen than to have it done like WOW did - you get frozen screen for 5-10 seconds before everything is loaded if you're on the same continent) to a waypoint or you walk trough a portal in The Mysts to get you teleported into WvWvW, or if you walk into a portal which is in WvWvW to teleport you to another servers base... But you get loading screens as well if you're going into an instance (group instance or just an instanced quest for your personal story line sometimes - but it can be shared with other people if you invite them with you or they invite you with themselves ofcourse)... So that's about it regarding portals and loading screens...

Zones are not instanced in any way and there are no portals between them...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

There are a few people I hope seen this.

Actually if you explore without instant teleporting, you'll most ikely have the same experience in the OP's video.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by korent1991

There's no "portals" for zones... You can walk around this 1 zone and killing everything and then suddenly you rush in to a group of mobs and you're killed in a sip because you found yourself in a 10 levels higher zone than you are... So no, there ARE NO PORTALS when you travel trough 1 zone to the next zone... The loading screen only happens when you teleport (it's better to have a loading screen than to have it done like WOW did - you get frozen screen for 5-10 seconds before everything is loaded if you're on the same continent) to a waypoint or you walk trough a portal in The Mysts to get you teleported into WvWvW, or if you walk into a portal which is in WvWvW to teleport you to another servers base... But you get loading screens as well if you're going into an instance (group instance or just an instanced quest for your personal story line sometimes - but it can be shared with other people if you invite them with you or they invite you with themselves ofcourse)... So that's about it regarding portals and loading screens...

Zones are not instanced in any way and there are no portals between them...

Well tell that to the numerous people who've played the beta and say otherwise. Sure the zones are not instanced, but there are portals in between zones and travel through these portals triggers a short loading screen for the next zone. It doesn't matter if you don't believe what I've just said, because the next beta event will confirm it.