Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Major patch 1.2 bugs prompt unscheduled server maintenance

Comments

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by Jason2444

Originally posted by Souldrainer

Originally posted by Paithan

But yeah.. while I agree its anoying its no different then any mmo out there, it happens.

This. 

Yeah, I remember when WoW deleted guild banks.

Oh wait.

Blizzard fucked up: Orc shoulder pads shink

Bioware fucks up: Guild banks get deleted and people lose 600k credit.

I do remember having to log out of the game due to a loot bug though. Almost every time I looted something. Also the items are not actually gone, I am sure they backed them up before maintence.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Kost

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by Matt_UK

Free to play by the end of the year. I'm off down the bookmakers to put £10 on it.

LAst I checked, it was free to play for the next month.

More incorrect information.

http://www.swtor.com/legacypromotion

Try actually reading it...

all active subscriber accounts with a Level 50 character as of April 12, 2012, 12:00 PM CDT, 5:00 PM GMT, will receive 30 days of game time** at no charge

Like I said, a month of free to play. Maybe a test run?

Free to play by the end of the year. I'm off down the bookmakers to put £10 on it.

all active subscriber accounts with a Level 50 character as of April 12, 2012, 12:00 PM CDT, 5:00 PM GMT, will receive 30 days of game time** at no charge

Actually no your not. There are conditions for the free play time so not everyone qualifies.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

MAybe he means that it only covers accounts with a level 50 on it.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by RefMinor

Twice in two days I am speechless, no need for clever comments, BW have patched half of 1.2 back out, just WoW

Yep, for WoW its always been normal for the servers to go back down 1 hour the servers come back up, after a couple o hours delay, that said I certainly dont miss the servers going down for an emergency patch and roling restarts 4-6 times betwine tuesday and friday.

But yeah.. while I agree its anoying its no different then any mmo out there, it happens.

Quit trying to project Biowares failures onto Blizzard.

And as for saying "B-b-but WoW had that happen!"

Guess what.

WoW lost 2 million subs last year. You're REALLY not making a good case for yourself

Im not, but people are making this a huge drama, which its not. This is kinna common in ANY mmo, though it has been more common in WoW then in any yet people always been overly protective when any lesser response about wow pops up. And yes Im certainly not making a bad case here, considering they have been doing that since day 1 and still managed to get a increasing player base.

Now for some irony, their last few patches have been released in better states then before and now they are bleeding players, go figure.

Im not a big fan of blizard but Im realistic about how they DID provide hours and hours of entertainment, Im no big fan of BW, never was never will be and you are right the patch should have been released in a better state, Im certainly not a fan of Lucasart they have been a wreckingball in their own francises for year.

Bottom line is the sky isnt falling, the world isnt coming to an end and BW's latest patch, while its unfortunate isnt doing worse with then pretty much every mmo out there. It happens.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

But only if you're 50.  If I was still subbed and not lvl 50, I would unsub as soon as I read that.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by RodimusPrime

Actually no your not. There are conditions for the free play time so not everyone qualifies.

Correct, a section of unvalued™ customers who don't deserve any free time do not qualify
  • BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by colddog04

Oh conditions? I see, that makes those accounts a selective Free to Play variety.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    But , but , I thought the 1.2 patch was "flawless" ?
  • wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

Servers expected back up at 12am BST << you have got to be fracking kidding me?

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Im not, but people are making this a huge drama, which its not. This is kinna common in ANY mmo, though it has been more common in WoW then in any yet people always been overly protective when any lesser response about wow pops up. And yes Im certainly not making a bad case here, considering they have been doing that since day 1 and still managed to get a increasing player base.

Now for some irony, their last few patches have been released in better states then before and now they are bleeding players, go figure.

Im not a big fan of blizard but Im realistic about how they DID provide hours and hours of entertainment, Im no big fan of BW, never was never will be and you are right the patch should have been released in a better state, Im certainly not a fan of Lucasart they have been a wreckingball in their own francises for year.

Bottom line is the sky isnt falling, the world isnt coming to an end and BW's latest patch, while its unfortunate isnt doing worse with then pretty much every mmo out there. It happens.

The problem isn't isolated to this one issue though, it's the latest of a series of blunders by BW:

1. Bugged flashpoints and operations

2. Complete lack of guild functionality up until 1.2

3. Ilium was completely broken

4. Performance issues

5. No high-res textures

6. Patch problems

7. Itemization issues

8. Gold duping exploits

"BioWare" Austin is the first developer I've seen that needs maintenance for their maintenance...

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Originally posted by killion81

But only if you're 50.  If I was still subbed and not lvl 50, I would unsub as soon as I read that.

2 friends of mine raged because of this , i find it funny lol..........

if u are not 50 u arent a valuable costumer, and u deserver nothing....

other than mants, and patches....or should i say "half-patches"?

Oh conditions? I see, that makes those accounts a selective Free to Play variety.

Yeeeaaahhh.....

I know where you were going with that. He doesn't want to accept where you were going with that. I personally bet this game goes free to play at some point down the line. But I don't think this will be the test run. :)

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

You get seven days if you had an active sub, from 13th April to the 19th April.

I think i'll just log in and... ah no... oh... er 'come back at midnight'?

(wanders off to play Rift).

Yeeeaaahhh.....

I know where you were going with that. He doesn't want to accept where you were going with that. I personally bet this game goes free to play at some point down the line. But I don't think this will be the test run. :)

Maybe on their next expansion they could go b2p with a cash shop and in order to get access to the beta weekends make you pay for the game up front instead of doing like most companies do in that when you preorder the game you get beta access.

Originally posted by Souldrainer

This. 

Yeah, I remember when WoW deleted guild banks.

Oh wait.

Blizzard fucked up: Orc shoulder pads shink

Bioware fucks up: Guild banks get deleted and people lose 600k credit.

I gladly discuss what gone missing with Blizzards patching .. mistakes, like whole pvp levels, whole pvp pool roleback and Im not talking about the ones that where intentional when new the next tier is introduced like they do now. Whole characters gone missing , hunters losing their ability to summon a pet or autoshot. My personal favourid was 45 shadowfrost shards (shadowmourne quest, takes months to get them) gone missing granted after 2 weeks of talking to them they where refunded.

But hey if you want another mmo as excample its fine by me.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Yeeeaaahhh.....

Maybe on their next expansion they could go b2p with a cash shop and in order to get access to the beta weekends make you pay for the game up front instead of doing like most companies do in that when you preorder the game you get beta access.

What has that got to do with SWTOR and their maintainence issues?
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Yeeeaaahhh.....

I would be ok wih that on one condition:

They need to include a good game in that expansion.

Yeeeaaahhh.....

I wonder how they have enough time to count all their money.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

I gladly discuss what gone missing with Blizzards patching .. mistakes, like whole pvp levels, whole pvp pool roleback and Im not talking about the ones that where intentional when new the next tier is introduced like they do now. Whole characters gone missing , hunters losing their ability to summon a pet or autoshot. My personal favourid was 45 shadowfrost shards (shadowmourne quest, takes months to get them) gone missing granted after 2 weeks of talking to them they where refunded.

"B-b-but Blizzard fucked up, so Bioware can fuck up!"

Ladies and gentle, I present to you the reason why the MMO genre is the laughing stock of the industry.

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

Originally posted by RefMinor

Yeeeaaahhh.....

What has that got to do with SWTOR and their maintainence issues?

Nothing really, Bunks just mentioned free to play, sorry it came off topic.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by fundayz

The problem isn't isolated to this one issue though, it's the latest of a series of blunders by BW:

4. Performance issues

5. No high-res textures

6. Patch problems

7. Itemization issues

8. Gold duping exploits

"BioWare" Austin is the first developer I've seen that needs maintenance for their maintenance...

LOL?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I reckon half the BW dev and ops team are currently kicking the other half in the ass. After 10 minutes they swap roles...

This is is a true "Egg On Face" moment. The much-hyped patch finally arrives, only to be epically miss-implemented !

Seems like no MMO company can learn from the mistakes of their peers: DO NOT RELEASE A MAJOR PATCH ONE DAY BEFORE THE WEEKEND !!!! Because if anything goes wrong, you will face the rage of an entire playerbase who are off work and school and cannot play....

This is a textbook example of a bad implementation, lol. First the major patch goes in, but something somewhere is wrong. So a hasty "fix" is applied, which totally wrecks the Live servers, because it was not properly tested. Almost everyone in the IT industry has seen this movie at least once during their career image

Originally posted by fundayz

4. Performance issues

5. No high-res textures

6. Patch problems

7. Itemization issues

8. Gold duping exploits

And you are right, the game has plenty of issues since beta, your list is spot on but the list applies to most mmo's even to date. Although I find 8. Gold duping exploits kinna funny as ironic, blizard games always been very notorious about that. And yes you are absolutely right, how good or bad others doing is no justification what so ever but then again its what Im used to seeing in mmos in the last 12ish years. I just cant be bothered to get angry about it.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

"B-b-but Blizzard fucked up, so Bioware can fuck up!"

Ladies and gentle, I present to you the reason why the MMO genre is the laughing stock of the industry.

I agree with this. And to be honest, it isn't possible to profit over the long term with huge blunders anymore.

I read an interesting article recently on this very subject. It was something akin to: "You get one shot with MMOs. Customers are not forgiving anymore. You screw up, you are done."

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.