Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great exploration video

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

NPC factions that fight each other is a grossly underused feature that I wish more MMOs would use.

Makes the world feel more alive, as if it's actually a place where things are happening even when no players are around.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by BadSpock

NPC factions that fight each other is a grossly underused feature that I wish more MMOs would use.

Makes the world feel more alive, as if it's actually a place where things are happening even when no players aren't around.

What would have been even better if in some events people could have joined either of the 2 fighting NPC factions. And turn the batle intoo a PvP feast.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by BadSpock

Makes the world feel more alive, as if it's actually a place where things are happening even when no players aren't around.

What would have been even better if in some events people could have joined either of the 2 fighting NPC factions. And turn the batle intoo a PvP feast.

That would work perfectly in the WvW zone.

And thanks OP for the video, very nice!

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

While it is a very nice video, it does remind of several immersion-breaking aspects for explorers, which I hope will be addressed by future games:

* Corresponding names above enemy monsters and NPC.

This really makes no sense in exploration mode, specially when I can barely see their faces at a distance, but I can surely see the names clearly. Ideally, if I want to know their names I better memorize them. This would though require a different game design so that there are natural methods to learn the names of NPCs and enemies without being handed them on a silverplate like they are now.

* Explicit HP-bars.

This will at one point be a relic from the past since it is just a matter of time before we can show how badly the enemy is injured animationwise  instead of just using a hp bar to do so. Much like  the RPG "random encounters" was a mechanism that existed due to technical limitations, I hope to see the day when "explicit HP-bars" are seen in the same regard.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Lot of good things in that video. First of all, the zone is huge. I'm not sure if thats one zone or many. If its one zone, holy shit balls its big. The second is when the toon was running through the grass and flowers, they swayed as he moved thru them. I thought that was a realy nice touch. Enviromental detail looked great also. Really looking forward to exploring this world.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

While it is a very nice video, it does remind of several immersion-breaking aspects for explorers, which I hope will be addressed by future games:

This really makes no sense in exploration mode, specially when I can barely see their faces at a distance, but I can surely see the names clearly. Ideally, if I want to know their names I better memorize them. This would though require a different game design so that there are natural methods to learn the names of NPCs and enemies without being handed them on a silverplate like they are now.

If its like most other mmos, you can turn name tags off. Lets hope ANet didnt reinvent the wheel too much there.

* Explicit HP-bars.

This will at one point be a relic from the past since it is just a matter of time before we can show how badly the enemy is injured animationwise  instead of just using a hp bar to do so. Much like  the RPG "random encounters" was a mechanism that existed due to technical limitations, I hope to see the day when "explicit HP-bars" are seen in the same regard.

I agree with this. It would be really cool to do away with healthbars and just use the animation and visual aspect of the npc. I feel we have a long way to go before that happens.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Originally posted by monarc333

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

If its like most other mmos, you can turn name tags off. Lets hope ANet didnt reinvent the wheel too much there.

* Explicit HP-bars.

I agree with this. It would be really cool to do away with healthbars and just use the animation and visual aspect of the npc. I feel we have a long way to go before that happens.

To reply to your first comment: turning off the name tags doesn't solve the problem, unless there are extensive ways to learn the names naturally. 

For instance, how do I know that a certain enemy is called a certain name? A NPC could give me a description of the enemy and then associate a name with it, then when I do see that enemy I would have to see if matches the description and hope it is right. In many games, they just tell me to do something against enemy "X" without really giving me a solid explanation for how I would identify that it is indeed enemy "X"; they solved that dilemma by putting "names" above the heads.

If I remember my experience, in the old adventure game called Metroid Prime, correctly, they solved that immersion-breaking dilemma through utilizing their science fiction setting by implementing a "scan" feature which was hooked up to a form of computer. 

You never saw "names" above monsters, you had to scan them to get information and then use your memory. In case you forgot something, you could use your visir to access to the data of old data entries to see the information again.

(Note: if you have never played Metroid Prime before: the view is a first-person view and the shape makes sense when you think that you are looking through a visir)

(2nd Note: the "GP" logo is not a part of the game)

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Every video like this I watch I feel I'm spoiling the game for myself, especially ones like dungeons where they have proper zelda style puzzles.

That is why I pre-purchased! I almost wish the game was still under strict NDA.

My blog: image

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

A minor thing, but one I thought was cool:  when he would run through plants and flowers, they would sway around him like in RL.  I love that attention to detail.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Great video. One of the things I hope Anet works on in the future updates (after the game is released) is more NPC reaction towards events going on outside their city. For example, that event with what I was assuming was a fire elemental. I think it would be awesome to see the town sending NPCs to battle these things, towns people talking about it, maybe some running through the streets screaming, etc. Obviously they would constantly be loosing so you could be the hero and save the day. 

I like how beautiful the environments look. I'm not going to lie, there were a few times I thought I was looking at a piece of their concept art.

• DuskflowDuskflow Member UncommonPosts: 1

Great video, but invisible wall which you can see at 7:40+, breaks some immersion in the game.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Great video m8, thanks for the post

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Too many loading screens imo.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by heartless

Lol =P

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

only took 7 pages :D

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

lulz I said this on page 3

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by StriderXed

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

lulz I said this on page 3

You can set the number of posts per page, I have 30

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Great video nice ambiance and immersive world.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I thought it would be more than just him robbing from farmers and running around. Was hoping we would see some hidden area descovered and such. Not a bad video but I did find just watching someone run around and unlock zones pretty boring.

FYI...The farmers should have attacked him for stealing their crops.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Great music and very decent overall. As always I try to keep my expectations low but with gameplay videos like this one it's getting quite hard. :)

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• Question0Question0 Member Posts: 4

14:10 - It's great to see the Tengu! I really dig the new slim build they got.

But to the overall video itself, it's simply stunning to see such attention to detail, the pre-purchase surely was worth my money.

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

I'm still trying to figure out how this falls under being a generic mmo to some.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Awesome,ty for sharing,unfortunately it makes the wait harder image but glad beta weekends are getting nearer.image

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

Originally posted by Asheram

Awesome,ty for sharing,unfortunately it makes the wait harder image but glad beta weekends are getting nearer.image

my in-heart hype meter has been set to max for so long that this just made me get an extreme amount of nervous twitches :P

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

you know the part i love, it's the part where it's not the same zone at all because at the end he was well outside of his level range and was instantly killed. and i also love how when he went from one zone to the next, he ran, didn't have to teleport once. yeah, remember those "posts" a couple months back about how it's not a seemless world. Watch this video. :)

thanks for posting OP :)