Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware gives away 30 day free sub

KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I admit i was kinda gobsmacked when i read this perhaps 10 minutes ago. As long as your account has never been banned, you bought the game, have one level 50 and have paid a months sub at some point you're getting 30 days free added to your account as long as it's currently active. People who have no game time left can come back for 7 days.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20120412-1

I'd already unsubbed and only have a few days left on mine but i won't snort at a month free.

Edit - oh and a free tauntaun pet for those who like that kinda thing.

Comments

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Now we can see the sweat rings under the arms.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

For me there is nothing worth going back to

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Looks like they need to add some old sub accounts before the end of the month reports. My guess, they don't have a "vast majority" of those initial 1.7 generated numbers :)  I can see it now, sir we have about 700K paying, well then find me 151K more so I can claim a majority are still active damn it!.

If not, we will hear subs described in terms like, Lions Share, many, almost all, vast, large, masses, when it comes to paying players.

Oh and 57 servers that never come out of light status more than 1 hour a week for the last 2 weeks. Ouch!

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

The acts of desperation just seem to be escalating.   I wonder if soon they'll offer to pay you to play it. 

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    Never mind, read the link
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

Just another way of fluffing up subscription numbers for investors.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Yeah but it also might be intended as a preemptive strike to tempt some more people to stay, looking at the imminent releases of D3, GW2 and TSW.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Wow, now that is just fucking desperate, they know how many 3month subs are due to leave and they want them to put the credit card details back in and get a free month and hope they stay after that. Not even the wildest eyed loon can now insist every thing is peachy, 1.7m FTW. This is a full on rubber necking train crash in action.
  • SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    The sweet sweet stench of desperation.

Sic Luceat Lux

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

guess they don't want to merge servers yet

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

lol, they are desperate.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• drumchannelldrumchannell Member UncommonPosts: 182

"As a thanks for being one of our most valued players."

Apparently, players with a level 50 character are more valuable than players that do not have a level 50 character.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

So , if I log back in with my account that the sub just ran out on , will there be a working Illum ? 100 vs 100 PVP battles ? world pvp objectives to encourage these ? In other words if I don't care about playing my grandfather was a jedi in some drag and drop screen , nor leveling alts through the exact same set of rails , what exactly is there for a pvp player to come back to even if it is free ?

• brutality123brutality123 Member Posts: 125

I was subbed anyway and happily playing it and enjoying it so I guess that just saves me some money. Cheers bioware.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by Corehaven

The acts of desperation just seem to be escalating.   I wonder if soon they'll offer to pay you to play it. 

You know, I was going to post something to the effect of  "you people are always crying gloom and doom" but after following the link and reading the details...

Yeah, it does smack of desperation.  Carry on...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181

Maybe if they refunded me the $150 I wasted on the collector's edition, that would be the only way I ever play this piece of shit again.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

/me hears this playing in the background somewhere......

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by Kabaal

Edit - oh and a free tauntaun pet for those who like that kinda thing.

I bet you can't cut open the tauntaun and shelter inside if you come off the rails by a couple of yards and hit an exhaustion zone.
  • OtashiOtashi Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Yeah but it also might be intended as a preemptive strike to tempt some more people to stay, looking at the imminent releases of D3, GW2 and TSW.

And TERA bro , don't forget TERA ! :D

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

A lot of you are saying it's desperation but that is a LOT of money to forgoe on their part. Even if they've lost half their subscribers, just saying half to exagerrate, then that's still $10million+. I'm by no means a fanboy, my sub was cancelled last week and had fully intended to uninstall if 1.2 didn't live up to expectations which it didn't. With 30 days free i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and leave it on my hard drive to see what happens.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by drumchannell

"As a thanks for being one of our most valued players."

Apparently, players with a level 50 character are more valuable than players that do not have a level 50 character.

I guess they figured that those that reached level 50 really liked the game in some way and there is a high chance these peeps would hand some cash. But, those like me that didn't make it past 25 probably won't be interested in playing the game again.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Sooooo, that quarterly report upcoming where they report active subscriptions. Everyone with a 50 just padded that number well for EA.

Why they don't do the sensible option and do a $10 download with no free month, that might actually get new folks in rather than just lose a months revenue.
    Originally posted by Dahkot72

Sooooo, that quarterly report upcoming where they report active subscriptions. Everyone with a 50 just padded that number well for EA.

They have to report the numbers at 31st March, this will be for the positive spin on growth/arrested decline that comes after the dreadful figures.