Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware gives away 30 day free sub

Comments

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

I realize its petty to feel this way, but I'm actually annoyed by them keeping my account active.  I had 5 days left on my sub, I already cancelled and listed my reasons once again.  I feel like 1.2 was a slap in the face, basically saying all the issues that are important to me aren't worth fixing ( or worse, beyond the developers skill to fix).  To have them artifically keep my account active as a "reward" feels like the devs are children sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting blah blah blah! at me to avoid actually dealing with the issues.

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

This makes up for the high price people paid to actually buy the game and the premium for pre-ordering and early access :P

I think they just wanted people back to try out 1.2 and to compensate for the long down times.

I wouldn't say it's desperation.  Desperation is giving away Diablo 3 for free with a year's wow subscription, then announcing the worst looking expansion in the history of MMORPGs days later...

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    The amusing part is that they likely will throw a bone to the no 50 folks - then claim they listened to their customers - ignoring the point that they shouldn't make such stupid decisions to begin with.

It's the pattern for bioware lately - make moronic business-game decision - if they scream about said stupid move fix it then we look good

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Now we can see the sweat rings under the arms.

Yeah but it also might be intended as a preemptive strike to tempt some more people to stay, looking at the imminent releases of D3, GW2 and TSW.

This.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Jerek_

I realize its petty to feel this way, but I'm actually annoyed by them keeping my account active.  I had 5 days left on my sub, I already cancelled and listed my reasons once again.  I feel like 1.2 was a slap in the face, basically saying all the issues that are important to me aren't worth fixing ( or worse, beyond the developers skill to fix).  To have them artifically keep my account active as a "reward" feels like the devs are children sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting blah blah blah! at me to avoid actually dealing with the issues.

Bioware pulled something like this on me also. I canceled my account with about 2 weeks left back in Feburary. Later I found out they had charged me an extra month afterwards and had to call and get my money refunded. My account was still open and active after being canceled with explanation on first occassion.

I suggest keeping an eye on your bank statement for next month to make sure they don't charge you again. They are good at not fully closing out accounts sometimes.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

Let me get this straight,if I reactivate my SWTOR account i get free subs for 30 days. It will take more than some bologna and meatballs stuffed between a foot of bread to get me to go back to that game. Snort. I'm to smart for that. Snort.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

I played for 3 months using game cards, I quit 2 weeks ago and have not had an email giving me 7 days to come back and try 1.2  So I guess they also discriminate against people that use gamecards instead of subscriptions.

Mickey Mouse company if I ever saw one, they lack the capacity to think anything through.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Late in the thread, but let me remind you guys that excessively bashing the game without giving actual reasons, as well as the use of terms like "Tortanic" are baiting people that play the game.

The forum should be a place where people who like the game and don't like it can discuss these topics in a more or less civil manner.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

Well Bioware is the only company that cares about their player base I  see. This is a gift to those that have stayed loyal and understood what the legacy system was all about. People who didnt level atleast one toon from 50 that have been playing from launch are quite simply, out of touch. The whole premise behind legacy system was revealed some time ago and it was only logical to get a toon to 50 before its arrival. I sense that Bioware is doing this as a good gesture for those that have stuck with the game, and also as an apology for delaying ranked warzones.

You would never see Anet (wiuth questionable items in their cash shop already), Blizzard, Funcom, or any of the other big players do something so generous as give a whole month of revenue away. This is also something a failing game could not possibly do, as it would put them even more below the red.

Truly an amazing day to be a fan of bioware! They are quickly becoming my favorite company. I can't believe people are trying to twist this as a negative! Absolutely sad how far the haters will go. Bioware could do everything right from this point forward and they would STILL rant and rave their hatred upon this board.

Well, back to this amazing game with me! Cya later haters lol!

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323

Originally posted by Monorojo

Well Bioware is the only company that cares about their player base I  see. This is a gift to those that have stayed loyal and understood what the legacy system was all about. People who didnt level atleast one toon from 50 that have been playing from launch are quite simply, out of touch. The whole premise behind legacy system was revealed some time ago and it was only logical to get a toon to 50 before its arrival. I sense that Bioware is doing this as a good gesture for those that have stuck with the game, and also as an apology for delaying ranked warzones.

You would never see Anet (wiuth questionable items in their cash shop already), Blizzard, Funcom, or any of the other big players do something so generous as give a whole month of revenue away. This is also something a failing game could not possibly do, as it would put them even more below the red.

Truly an amazing day to be a fan of bioware! They are quickly becoming my favorite company. I can't believe people are trying to twist this as a negative! Absolutely sad how far the haters will go. Bioware could do everything right from this point forward and they would STILL rant and rave their hatred upon this board.

You mean the people who did exactly what Bioware kept encouraging them to do by rolling alts and playing them?

Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam

You mean the people who did exactly what Bioware kept encouraging them to do by rolling alts and playing them?

Wrong again sharpshooter. Bioware encouraged alts after completing the story of your m ain. IE getting to 50. The cost of legacy mode has been known for over a month at this point. Anyone who is able to think rationally would have been able to figure out that to fully enjoy the benefits, you need a lvl 50.

Encouraging alts after you beat your main toons storyline is what Bioware has been doing. Your awful spin does not match with reality son.

Bioware never said, "Play one character to 50 before making any alts."  They constantly talked about and openly promoted rolling multiple characters to try all the story lines.  Keep on carrying water for them and blame players who didn't level to 50 as fast as you think they should have for Bioware's PR screw-up.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam

Wrong again sharpshooter. Bioware encouraged alts after completing the story of your m ain. IE getting to 50. The cost of legacy mode has been known for over a month at this point. Anyone who is able to think rationally would have been able to figure out that to fully enjoy the benefits, you need a lvl 50.

Encouraging alts after you beat your main toons storyline is what Bioware has been doing. Your awful spin does not match with reality son.

Why should it matter how anyone wants to play the game they pay for?  The most loyal fans are the ones that stayed with this POSG the last 4 months, not that ones that happen to have 1 level 50 character.  Sure most of them got a level 50 but not all of them.  All this free sub does it point out the fact that end game is shit and that  bioEA PR department is just as bad.  

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

F2p in less then a year.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=410458

This just poped up on my facebook from the official forums. Not sure if anybody posted it yet, if so mods delete at will. :)

Sorry folks but if you have been playing since launch (Middle of December for those of us that preorderd), that is 4 months of playtime to get to 50.

Anyone who played the game knew Legacy did not even unlock til after Act 2, which is completed in the high 30s range. It again was completely illogical to play alts before you got your main to Act 2 (high 30s) or you were wasting potential legacy xp. At that point, there are only 10 more levels til you finish your storyline and get to 50. Anyone who put a single strip of thought into the future has a level 50. No excuses for those that are behind the curve when it comes to cognitive thinking. Blame your parents or your DNA, not bioware.

BTW this is a gift. It is not like Bioware is taking anything away from those that aren't lvl 50. They are just rewarding those who have a lvl 50 toon. The individuals had the foresight to do some research and realize when legacy unlocked for you (thus how far you had to get your main to go minimuim before playing alts logically), and how much legacy would cost (going on upwards of 13 million credits~, which can only be achieved by being lvl 50). [Mod Edit]

Originally posted by spookydom

This just poped up on my facebook from the official forums. Not sure if anybody posted it yet, if so mods delete at will. :)

WOW! Truly awe inspiring that a company would care so much about their fans and actually listen to the feedback! Bioware really is a company that one could poitn to and say "These guys actually got it right. No cash shop, no pay to win, they just reward their players for playing,"

So proud to be a fan of bioware right now.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

WOW! Truly awe inspiring that a company would care so much about their fans and actually listen to the feedback! Bioware really is a company that one could poitn to and say "These guys actually got it right. No cash shop, no pay to win, they just reward their players for playing,"

You're proud of a company that screwed up a PR stunt so bad that they angered customers (some of whom canceled) and had to scramble to try to fix what should have been a simple move?  You have low standards.  Weren't you supposed to be busy playing this amazing game instead of posting repeatedly?

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

All this time I thought Bioware were focused on copying WoW, when all of a sudden they blindside me by copying Final Fantasy XIV's "game ain't good enough to charge a subscription for" model!

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Sorry folks but if you have been playing since launch (Middle of December for those of us that preorderd), that is 4 months of playtime to get to 50.

Anyone who played the game knew Legacy did not even unlock til after Act 2, which is completed in the high 30s range. It again was completely illogical to play alts before you got your main to Act 2 (high 30s) or you were wasting potential legacy xp. At that point, there are only 10 more levels til you finish your storyline and get to 50. Anyone who put a single strip of thought into the future has a level 50. No excuses for those that are behind the curve when it comes to cognitive thinking. Blame your parents or your DNA, not bioware.

BTW this is a gift. It is not like Bioware is taking anything away from those that aren't lvl 50. They are just rewarding those who have a lvl 50 toon. The individuals had the foresight to do some research and realize when legacy unlocked for you (thus how far you had to get your main to go minimuim before playing alts logically), and how much legacy would cost (going on upwards of 13 million credits~, which can only be achieved by being lvl 50). So please go cry me a river, build a bridge (which would be a nice place for you trolls to live I imagine lol!) and get over it.

Cuz we are celebrating! :) :) :)

This thought process doesn't make sense.  It's a video game.  People can play the game however the hell they want.

I do not care about Bioware or SWTOR or getting a free month.  However, I keep seeing these types of statements on this topic.  If you are casual who plays a few hours a week, but have spent the same amount of money on the game as a guy who has five level 50's and plays 30 hours a week, shouldn't they be both valued customers?  Why is the casual some kind of lesser being? 

We are not talking about loot, or in game rewards here.  The more hardcore player deserves that stuff outright over a casual player.  But as far as getting free time added to your account, everyone who has been a loyal customer deserves some free time. 

I am sure I will be called a troll after this post too :D

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Truly inspired marketing under pressure, they have just postponed the big drop of 3month subs by forcibly extending them by a month so they can get that pesky financial reporting out of the way before the free month runs out. Giving out bad figures and being forced to admit things are getting worse is obviously what they are desperate to avoid.
  • DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Hello everyone! At BioWare we're always listening to our fans and we've heard our community's comments around players with Level 50 characters being the only group awarded 30 days of play time. We appreciate the feedback and are pleased to announce that we are expanding our Legacy Promotion, also awarding 30 days of play time at no charge to players that have reached Legacy Level 6 (who may not have a 50th level character). 

We just released the innovative Legacy System as part of Game Update 1.2, and felt that looking at Legacy point progression across all of your characters was a great way to reward our most avid players. This means that any of the experience you earn with any of your characters brings you closer to the goal of Legacy Level 6. The choice of how to get to Legacy Level 6 is yours. 

First, you need to have passed Chapter 1 to unlock your legacy. Examples of how to get to Legacy Level 6 include: 

• A pair of characters Level 45 and 42

• A trio of characters of Levels 45, 32 and 32

• A bunch of characters Levels 35, 33, 31, 29 and 20

• A single 50th level character that has enjoyed the endgame for a brief time

Remember these are just examples – you’re free to choose how to earn your Legacy experience to gain Legacy Level 6.

We've also got another significant piece of good news: everyone will have until April 22nd at noon CDT (5:00pm GMT - click here for a time zone converter) to have a Level 50 character or Legacy Level 6 on their account to get 30 days of game time on us. (Your 30 days of game time will be applied to your account on April 25th by 11:59pm CDT.) Players will now have multiple options, as well as more time, to try and reach these goals and play all the great new content in Game Update 1.2.

As always, we appreciate your feedback and will do our best to surprise and delight our customers. 

Dr Greg Zeschuk

Studio GM, BioWare Austin

[As an FYI: the news story and webpage regarding Legacy Promotion will be updated tonight or early next week with up-to-date information.]

People who either re-rolled on more busy servers or slow paced players are still screwed. Oh well yeah they can have no life for the whole next week and hit the mark.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Hehe! Well, at least they're not shafting the <50's.

I do get that "we can't give this crap away" feeling about the whole thing though lol.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

Rift isn't  a massive sucess in the order of millions but a mere 2 of it's  16 NA shards are marked as low with 1 high and the rest normal. WoW has god knows how many servers and it has upwards of 40 on high at this moment and the vast majority on normal with low rounding off the  rest. SWTOR and it's hundred or so NA shards has 33 on low. Yes, about 1/3 of SWTOR servers are  low at 8pm  4/13/2012 with less than 3% of the remaining servers on high.

If WoW gave away free month to all players who beat their latest raid you wouldn't question it as a desperate act really considering their server population  trends or even Rift, while not on the same scale as WoW or SWTOR is doing perfectly fine with a healthy community on the vast majority of its shards.  But giving away a free month targeted at players that are finished with all of your games content when 1/3 of your servers are empty, looks like a cry for help.

Undoubtibly there are people  extremely happy with SWTOR and believe it to be a solid game and love it to death.  At least try to see the other side and ask yourself "what if" because what if this free month really is a cry for help and what if your favor game  is tanking while you ignore all the warning signs?