Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware gives away 30 day free sub

Comments

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Boggles

A few ways to look at this...

1) This is not the act of a company/game doing well

2) They are trying to pull another deceptive numbers game, if they add a month on all the accounts that have choose to leave they can pad thier numbers to investors once again and claim all those fluff accounts as active subscribers.

Either way EA are a bunch of liars and the truth is quickly chasing them down.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Bunks

and they wonder how they won?

They won because Americans are stupid. Oh and no I wont get banned for saying it, I'm American. EA is a horrible company I'll agree. But to be happy or even proud EA got that over other companies that truly deserve it is pathetic.

As to the promotion. It simply tells me they lost ALOT more subs than they will ever admit and want to try to get people excited about the new update. Unfortunatly for them alot of us dont even think 7 days free time is worth the hard drive space. Which says alot with the size and prices of hard drives now lol.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Unless I missed something, 1.2 is still short two things that they should have delayed the release for.

1) Rated WZ

2) Cross server Flashpoint Finder

#2 was the big one for me.  I leveled to 50 on an Assasin and 40 or so on a Bounty Hunter.  If they had cross server FP finders I almost certainly would have subscribed for a month.

They made huge mistakes in their priorities and I don't think they'll recover, even if they add some awesome space sim content.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by Bunks

Looks like they need to add some old sub accounts before the end of the month reports. My guess, they don't have a "vast majority" of those initial 1.7 generated numbers :)  I can see it now, sir we have about 700K paying, well then find me 151K more so I can claim a majority are still active damn it!.

If not, we will hear subs described in terms like, Lions Share, many, almost all, vast, large, masses, when it comes to paying players.

Oh and 57 servers that never come out of light status more than 1 hour a week for the last 2 weeks. Ouch!

This is spot on - this is exactly the reason for this promotion. So they can artificially boost the active account numbers in order to issue some horribly spurious financial figures that Wall Street journalists are too lazy to figure out.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

I dont even bother. download the game again install it to get bored after 1 day? No thx.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Game went F2P before I imagined.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

What's really sad is 1.2 is still better than 1.1.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by Alders

Not from what I'm reading in the official forums.

Apparently PvP is even more borked than it was, if that is even possible.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

There is going to be such a huge backlash here.

I've been a subscriber since launch but my highest level character is level 42. I was considering quitting in May but I think this feels like a slap in the face to me and was pretty much the final nail in the coffin.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Kabaal

Edit - oh and a free tauntaun pet for those who like that kinda thing.

I bet you can't cut open the tauntaun and shelter inside if you come off the rails by a couple of yards and hit an exhaustion zone.

ROFL, that made my day. XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Might be a good time to short ERTS lol.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Teala

Wow...they have a lot of pissed off players on the offical boards. 

Yes, yes they do. It's SUCH an obviously transparent ploy...

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by jacklo

Originally posted by Alders

Not from what I'm reading in the official forums.

Apparently PvP is even more borked than it was, if that is even possible.

THAT"S the most disheartening point. They tried to make it idiot proof and ended up just making a better idiot.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

They screwed up PVP so much this update might be forever remembered as NGE 1.2.

I don't get it, half of the servers are PVP, why would you want to piss off that many of your current players.  What they did to the PVP rewards is a joke.

I have never been pissed when I buy a bad game, I just count my losses and move on.  But I am livid at Bioware ATM, I waited for this game for 5 fking years....  What a complete cluster fk of a game.  I wish I could take all of my money back and give it to some homeless person downtown.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Originally posted by cahenderson

Exactly. Everyone with half a brain can see that this promotion has nothing to do with valuing their customers but simply slowing the hemorrhage of players at max level. So now BW has managed to put off their max-level exodus for a month at the expense of pissing off their entire casual/alt playerbase.

They could have simply gave everyone with an active account the free month but only allowed redemption of it after reaching Lv50. This would've been an immediate allure to those already bored at max level while those still leveling would have been pleased knowing that a nice, real-world reward

SWTOR is doomed for failure not because of the game itself but because of the developer's poor decision-making skills.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Spalliero

The sweet sweet stench of desperation.

I am surprized it took them this long to do anything.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by fundayz

Exactly. Everyone with half a brain can see that this promotion has nothing to do with valuing their customers but simply slowing the hemorrhage of players at max level. So now BW has managed to put off their max-level exodus for a month at the expense of pissing off their entire casual/alt playerbase.

They could have simply gave everyone with an active account the free month but only allowed redemption of it after reaching Lv50. This would've been an immediate allure to those already bored at max level while those still leveling would have been pleased knowing that a nice, real-world reward

SWTOR is doomed for failure not because of the game itself but because of the developer's poor decision-making skills.

I actually personally hope swtor fails hard.. why? it'll show devs that the wow-clone formula just does not work anymore, and they might actually start to try to do their own stuff insted of just copy and paste from world of warcraft like most mmorpgs have been doing.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Originally posted by Siveria

I actually personally hope swtor fails hard.. why? it'll show devs that the wow-clone formula just does not work anymore, and they might actually start to try to do their own stuff insted of just copy and paste from world of warcraft like most mmorpgs have been doing.

SWTOR is not a wow clone, if it was it would be better.

SWTOR is more like a WAR clone.  WAR had PVP - nothing else worth doing.  SWTOR has cut scenes - nothing else worth doing.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by SuperDonk

Originally posted by Siveria

SWTOR is not a wow clone, if it was it would be better.

SWTOR is more like a WAR clone.  WAR had PVP - nothing else worth doing.  SWTOR has cut scenes - nothing else worth doing.

Honestly , Bioware of the Baldur's Gate fame ,  Mythic of DAOC fame , both amazing games , now under the EA umbrella , managed to take the Warhammer IP and Star Wars IP and launch atrocious mmorpg's with both.

What should have been a slam dunk with both having great lore and setup for amazing world battles between the factions , managed to be absolutely terrible in the long run.

Sad really.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Look how bitter everyone is for something free... *shakes head*

I'm going to have some fun playing SWTOR again for a while and gladly take their offer.

• britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260

Calm down guys. Its just called marketing.  Its advertising to get the word out about their new update as its a big one.  All games do promotions including your precious World of Warcraft.

• Mayday123Mayday123 Member Posts: 2

Played alot 4 lvl 50s and a Valor rank 76 BH unsubbed right this minute gfg keeping me playing for Ranked WZs for 2 months Bioware...

O ya reason I responded on this thread is Bioware would probably have better luck giving free months to new players rather than current or past ones just imo....

,,I,, Bioware

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Originally posted by britzban

Calm down guys. Its just called marketing.  Its advertising to get the word out about their new update as its a big one.  All games do promotions including your precious World of Warcraft.

^Does not understand the issue^

• dramatikzdramatikz Member Posts: 51

this is pretty sad

[EQ][DAoC][WoW][WAR][SWToR][GW2][TSW][WS}

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by britzban

^Does not understand the issue^

Neither does the guy above him.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky