Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's Your Profession?

mrhyde1428mrhyde1428 Member Posts: 57

I'm curious as to how many of you have chosen your starting profession.  Will you choose the brute diversity of the warrior, the sly cunning of the thief, perhaps the stockpiling spellcasting elementalist?

I, for one, will choose the ranger for my first character.  Not sure one which race yet, but that really depends character customization choices offered.  The reason for my choice as a ranger?  Well, for one...its usually my favorite profession in most mmo's I've played.  Within Guild Wars 2, it will be mostly because of the pets.  My favorite profession in any game of the past was the Beastlord in the origional EverQuest.  The ranger profession here, seems very similar, except that I can discover and tame a variety of different pets.

After the ranger, I'll probably create an elementalist, then a mesmer, a warrior, and whatever I fancy next.

So, tell me...what profession and race will you choose?  Why will you choose it and what other professions / races are you also excited for?

Comments

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

1st- Thief/Asura

2nd- Ranger/Norn

3rd- Ele/Hum

This has changed now 8 times in the last 3 weeks, this game is driving me nutz.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I'm still aiming for Norn Guardian, but have been very tempted by other classes in the 2nd round of Press Beta footage- warrior, Ele, ranger and thief.. in that order.  I probably won't roll a Mesmer or Engineer or Necro for a long time, if at all.

• boikymarboikymar Member Posts: 60

My first profession will be the Thief. Assassin was my main in Guild Wars and the Thief is basically a revamped version of that. I enjoy stepping through the shadows and destroying my opponent with a huge burst of damage, then stepping back through the shadows to a target ally or another foe. Elementalists will be a Thief's bread and butter with their low armor rating and health points. Can't wait to slaughter a few ;]

• dramatikzdramatikz Member Posts: 51

thinking Charr Warrior baby.  sounds beast

[EQ][DAoC][WoW][WAR][SWToR][GW2][TSW][WS}

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Eir_S

I'm still aiming for Norn Guardian, but have been very tempted by other classes in the 2nd round of Press Beta footage- warrior, Ele, ranger and thief.. in that order.  I probably won't roll a Mesmer or Engineer or Necro for a long time, if at all.

Hey that is my choice. No fair! Now I gotta choose again. *kick

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Is "Yes" an option?

Mesmer is calling to me strongest...but my god thief looks fun. And we all know I'll have an engineer at some point, and I HAVE to recreate my old GW1 Necro just to annoy my girlfriend (the pets used to freak her out). And I'll try all the others just to see what they are like.

• mrhyde1428mrhyde1428 Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by terrant

Is "Yes" an option?

Hahaha!  I seriously thought about putting that as an option :P

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Hard to say, because I'm not just picking one (voted for the elementalist). I'll mostly be focusing on elementalist and warrior, but I'm currently fine-tuning a spread of characters I will be making at launch, but the general order will be something like this:

1 - Elementalists / Human

2 - Warrior / Norn

3 - Mesmer / Human

I'll have to buy character slots, and I plan on having one of each class / race. Was debating on having an Asuran elementalists, I'm honestly not sure what I'd consider to be the best profession for that race. They do look a lot of fun, though (maybe an Asuran thief, lol).

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Bunks

1st- Thief/Asura

2nd- Ranger/Norn

3rd- Ele/Hum

This has changed now 8 times in the last 3 weeks, this game is driving me nutz.

Of those 3, which will be the one you will solo WvW on? (hopefully the elementalist?) lol

Originally posted by aesperus

Was debating on having an Asuran elementalists, I'm honestly not sure what I'd consider to be the best profession for that race. They do look a lot of fun, though (maybe an Asuran thief, lol).

Yes!  I will have to play an Asuran at one point, they're so cute lol

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I'm thinking about being a human warrior or maybe a charr engineer if the toolkits look good enough.

• steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

My main will be a Charr Ranger.

Then idk. lol

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I know there are only 30 votes so far, but 27% of them are rangers and only 3% guardians.....and what happened to everyone wanting to play the mesmer or elementalist.

I hope this isnt going to be representative of class populations at launch.

Edit:  I will role a Ranger and a guardian alt.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Originally posted by Maephisto

I know there are only 30 votes so far, but 27% of them are rangers and only 3% guardians.....and what happened to everyone wanting to play the mesmer or elementalist.

A second ago when I voted mesmer was tied for first with 20% of the vote. I wouldn't take it as the final numbers by a long shot.

I'll bet Ranger WILL be the top class though. And Guardian one of the least populated. People look at it and think (rather incorrectly) "Tank/heal paladin"

Like you said, there are 30 votes so far.  However, that isn't really a huge number.  The poll will balance out I'm sure.

And I doubt that at launch day, this will be accurate at all since people change thier minds and most people who plan to play won't even vote on my silly poll :P

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Well GW2Guru seems to be the center of the fanbase and their major site poll about classes indicated that choices will be pretty even across the board, so I wouldn't worry.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

You all are right, I was just surprised a little.  When I tried to predict what I thought would be the more popular classes, I was completely wrong when I first looked.  I thought for sure mesmer/elementalist/warrior would hold top three easily.  

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

My first character will be a human ranger just like in GW1...

Followed by an asura engineer then a norn warrior followed by a sylvari elementalist and then a char necro followed by a trip to the CS to add new slots.. ;)

Playing GW2..

• czombieczombie Member Posts: 82

I will play as an elementalist.  I want to play a tengu for my race, but since they are not playable yet, I'll probably just play as a human and use my Guild Wars character.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

So far?

Human ranger

Norn mesmer

Charr elementalist

Asura guardian

Sylvari thief or engineer (Depending which interests me the most when the time comes around)

For my starter 5 slots on the first day.

Then, a visit to the cash shop for more character slots and the other 3 classes.

Then I just cross my fingers and pray they do birthday presents. x9

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

im gonna go go guardian for sure. After that either engineer or maybe a necromancer.

this is a pvp game, so i expect a legion of theives and rangers. 

i also expect them to fall to my guardian  mad skillz!

Originally posted by rungard

im gonna go go guardian for sure. After that either engineer or maybe a necromancer.

this is a pvp game, so i expect a legion of theives and rangers. 

i also expect them to fall to my guardian  mad skillz!

~cowers at ze mad skillz, then eats a mushroom~

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Elementalist/Human

Guardian/Sylvari

Warrior/Asura

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• laxika91laxika91 Member Posts: 50

Necro/Charr

Necros are awsum. Love that pets. :D

Enginer/Charr

FLAMETHROWER WOOOOOOOO

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

My first two will be Norn Necro and then Sylvari Ranger.  Not sure what I'll do after that.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!