Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamebreaker and TERA

Comments

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

Originally posted by Kyleran

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Hey, there's people who  call EVE a "terrible" game (hard to believe, I know) despite the obvious fact of its greatness. image

All games have detractors, don't let one site's review get you down.

Nah it wont let me down - the problem is that is not just one review. If you follow their posts about this game they are all the same: biased and defamatory. I dislike if a site only praise and hype a game but still a certain distance must exists even if all articles are only opinions.

I think the reason you're seeing all those posts is because the game sucks

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Nasa

Just saw TWIMMO on gamebraker tv and Mike B don't seem to be a fan of TERA.

mike B has a TERA patch on his man bag.   the site is biased towards their viewers.  they tend to agree with them so they don't lose them.

I've got the straight edge.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by brody71

mike B has a TERA patch on his man bag.   the site is biased towards their viewers.  they tend to agree with them so they don't lose them.

On his what?

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Zookz1

On his what?

the big man purse he carries around.

I've got the straight edge.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Anyone knows what they have against TERA?. I just can't understand why all the hate.

Okay maybe it is not the best game but clearly it is not the worst. At this site they just take turns to defame it.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/tera-fic-or-tera-ble/

WoW players used to tab targeting in pvp. This is the same stie that said they could not do a Rift show because there were not enough update.......yet like 3 of their shows are devoted to WoW.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by Zookz1

On his what?

the big man purse he carries around.

Ah. Thank you for clarifying. I had a horrible mental imagine.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    I used to follow the site but then I started watching less everytime until I stopped completely. The games they cream their pants for I don't even like or follow (...SWTOR...), and the one they're covering like it's the second coming I'm a little bit "meh" about after having hands-on (still pre-purchased like a sucker tho). 

So what's the point in me caring what these so-called gaming journalists have to say? At the end of the day it's MY choice and I only care what my buddy thinks.

Peace.

• AndurinAndurin Member UncommonPosts: 125

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

@Phry

I definitely think TERA is that kind of a sleeper... depending on how EME reacts to it's first six months. I think there will be a large portion of the MMO community that passes TERA up initially waiting for GW2. just like WoW and swtor, an IP can sustain you for a few months at least until the "formula" is figured out and the sheen has worn off.

It's these lulls that people look toward other games out there to break up the monotony. How long the game stays relevant to them depends on how solid it is. TERA is a good, solid MMO with a lot of features and polish. It just so happens to release around the same time as, arguably, the second biggest MMO IP behind WoW.

As long as EME continues to progress the game without going f2p or altering large portions oftge game I think it will do great long term.

I couldn't agree with you more.  I went into the last Tera beta without playing the game and not expecting much.  What I got was a tripple A MMORPG that is extremely polished with game changing combat.  The guy is really undervaluing how good the combat is in this game. 

What really has a chance to make this game successful is the PvP is offers.  Hardcore PvPers are absolutely flocking to this game and the skilled PvP it offers.  Along with the political system and if EME can keep things rolling I truly think this game has as good of a chance as any to be very successful.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Andurin

I couldn't agree with you more.  I went into the last Tera beta without playing the game and not expecting much.  What I got was a tripple A MMORPG that is extremely polished with game changing combat.  The guy is really undervaluing how good the combat is in this game. 

What really has a chance to make this game successful is the PvP is offers.  Hardcore PvPers are absolutely flocking to this game and the skilled PvP it offers.  Along with the political system and if EME can keep things rolling I truly think this game has as good of a chance as any to be very successful.

Ya when you pvp its like a completely different game lol. Wish i can be as good as Hakurai and Fiona o.- got to pratice!!! damn it EME launch already o.-

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114

The guy is a tool end of story.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

the new trend on this forums, is to bash and troll any game that isen't GW2.  not just Tera,  but every other MMO is getting some high daily bashing as well.

some people are trying way too hard, to recruit players for GW2.     so they will try to discourage or shase away, anyone who likes other games.

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by Nadya3

the new trend on this forums, is to bash and troll any game that isen't GW2.  not just Tera,  but every other MMO is getting some high daily bashing as well.

some people are trying way too hard, to recruit players for GW2.     so they will try to discourage or shase away, anyone who likes other games.

very true, and as we all know over hyped games tend to die due to ppl's hopes getting too high.  then getting let down a few months later,  sort of like what happened for a few swtor players.   though I do love startwars,  the game felt like a watered down version of wow with good voices acting.  =(

Originally posted by Alminie

Originally posted by Nadya3

very true, and as we all know over hyped games tend to die due to ppl's hopes getting too high.  then getting let down a few months later,  sort of like what happened for a few swtor players.   though I do love startwars,  the game felt like a watered down version of wow with good voices acting.  =(

yes Swtor comes to mind,  i keep getting many Deya' vus  with Gw2,  the history repeats.  the unreal ridiculous amount of hype is absurd.

the funny thing is, that once this people get bored of over praising their new game, and they realise, that the game is not  theHoly Grail and the coming of the Messiah they think it is.  they will hold tight their momentarly depression, and move onto the next MMO.  rinse and repeat.

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

Anyone knows what they have against TERA?. I just can't understand why all the hate.

Okay maybe it is not the best game but clearly it is not the worst. At this site they just take turns to defame it.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/tera-fic-or-tera-ble/

It breaks down to that MikeB finds it enjoyable cuz of the combat. The "TERA-ble" thing is kind of a joke with the site because Gary Gannon just could not get into it, so one week he declared it a bad game, and then the following week declared it the WoW-killer just for the lolz.

Stop taking other people's views on games so personal. Most of the Gamebreaker team doesnt like the game. I imagine most of the MMO-playing world doesnt like TERA. I also think it's fair to say there are a LOT more people interested in GW2 than TERA.

is just that some people fail to understand,  that what may be great to them,  it isen't for others.

even those games, that unanimously people consider a bad game.  can be great for others.

for instance, i remember trying out EVE online and unistalling the game in less than 3 minutes.  did i tell everyone i found and bumped into, how much the game sucks after that?  hell no.   the game wasen't for me.

some people fail to grasp the basic concept, that we humans are all different.  we all like and dislike different things.

every MMO available and, the ones coming.  have cons and pros.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

The Gamebreaker guy makes some really good points. And after all it's his own opinion you have to understand not everyone is going to like YOUR favourite game.

Btw i'm kinda surprised to see a mmorpg website as big as gamebreaker.tv taking such a harsh stance on a videogame.
    Since they are in the business i guess the easiest way is to say that every game is fun and every game is terrific. This way they won't anger fans and game developers.
    But it's just being hypocrites.

So i'm glad the gamebreaker guys are speaking their minds.
    Be honest and give me your opinion.
    Let's just keep in mind it's HIS opinion and don't whine.

Originally posted by afropuff420

That being said the only game I see to be really changing things up is Archeage. I think when Archeage finally makes it to the west (hopefully not years from now) that it will knock a lot of people off their feet. Most gamers haven't seen a system like Archeage or an MMO with that level of complexity. The irony here is that Archeage is more like a 3D version of Ultima Online as far as the mechanics go. Which would be amazing to see. I really think people need a game like this.

NO there are a lot of MMO with that level of complexity and even more. The point is that Archeage is a SANDBOX game (like Ultima, EVE, MO etc.) not a THEMEPARK like WoW, Tera, Rift, Swtor and Gw2.
    And there is a reason why the sandbox games are niche and not very popular. It's not like they don't sound amazing... it's just that they are HUGE and i mean HUUUUUUGE timesink.
    You have to invest too much time to have really fun in this kind of game so of course most of the people will just go in Themparks and have instant fun.
    Archeage looks fun and i'm following his development but i'm 99% i won't play it (like the majority of this forum) because i don't have so much time for mmorpg (otherwise i would play EVE ONLINE right now)
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

Originally posted by otacu

I would very like to know why THEY whine. Let me remind you that the topic it is not about me. It is not like they have to play the game. The article is not a review it is bashing and yes whining as you said - I wont be playing the game boohooo. I dont care what you wont be playing.

Yes they are honest only about one game for other thousand it is not important.

The article was not a review and he never claimed it

It was just his honest opinion

Big deal 

I don't get the whining about his opinion

Big deal 

Ok so I dont get your whining about my opinion. Big deal. It is just my "honest" opinion that they are relentlessly bashing the game... and I am getting tired of the "it is only an opinion" arguments, debates etc.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I would very like to know why THEY whine. Let me remind you that the topic it is not about me. It is not like they have to play the game. The article is not a review it is bashing and yes whining as you said - I wont be playing the game boohooo. I dont care what you wont be playing.

Yes they are honest only about one game for other thousand it is not important.

Wow.. do you even read your own posts before posting?

The title of it says it all. It's a response piece. It's not a review, and I think calling it 'bashing' the game is a bit of a stretch (or at least an overreaction). People asked them about TERA, and why they aren't covering it. The video is their response, plain and simple.

If you take a step back and look at it objectively, you'll notice that there isn't a whole lot they criticize the game for. The entire video basically comes down to 'we tried the game, it wasn't really for us, thus we aren't going to be covering it'. That's it. Is it really worth getting worked up over? There's a lot of people with the same opinion.

I mean, on the flip side they could cover it anyway, knowing full well the game isn't really for them, and thus be forced to actually bash it legitimately.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

The Gamebreaker guy makes some really good points. And after all it's his own opinion you have to understand not everyone is going to like YOUR favourite game.

Btw i'm kinda surprised to see a mmorpg website as big as gamebreaker.tv taking such a harsh stance on a videogame.

Since they are in the business i guess the easiest way is to say that every game is fun and every game is terrific. This way they won't anger fans and game developers.

But it's just being hypocrites.

That being said the only game I see to be really changing things up is Archeage. I think when Archeage finally makes it to the west (hopefully not years from now) that it will knock a lot of people off their feet. Most gamers haven't seen a system like Archeage or an MMO with that level of complexity. The irony here is that Archeage is more like a 3D version of Ultima Online as far as the mechanics go. Which would be amazing to see. I really think people need a game like this.

NO there are a lot of MMO with that level of complexity and even more. The point is that Archeage is a SANDBOX game (like Ultima, EVE, MO etc.) not a THEMEPARK like WoW, Tera, Rift, Swtor and Gw2.

And there is a reason why the sandbox games are niche and not very popular. It's not like they don't sound amazing... it's just that they are HUGE and i mean HUUUUUUGE timesink.

You have to invest too much time to have really fun in this kind of game so of course most of the people will just go in Themparks and have instant fun.

Archeage looks fun and i'm following his development but i'm 99% i won't play it (like the majority of this forum) because i don't have so much time for mmorpg (otherwise i would play EVE ONLINE right now)

I guess my question to you is.. Don't all MMOs require some level of time investment to be successful at them? I understand it is a sandbox, and to be honest I always thought that's what an MMO was supposed to be. A world where the players create the environment, and not world where the environment was created for you, and you go on rides. Then again I grew up on Ultima Online, and Asheron's call. In regards to a sandbox being a time sink.. well I personally wouldn't even play an MMO unless I was going to invest real time into it. Also, even though sandbox games exist - most of them have missed the mark imo. EvE is a really great game, but like someone said before - you need a degree from MIT just to play the game. Also, I couldn't really get into the space thing. It got really old really quick. All of the other sandboxes that I can think of right now are either developed by indie companies and are severly lacking, or are extremely old. I think Archeage will be a great renewal to the potential and fun of the true mmo. These themeparks are honestly what is killing the genre. I may stand alone with this opinion, but I want to play an MMO where I can help create the world, and not just ride the rides that other people made.

Big deal 

Ok so I dont get your whining about my opinion. Big deal. It is just my "honest" opinion that they are relentlessly bashing the game... and I am getting tired of the "it is only an opinion" arguments, debates etc.

Because IT IS an opinion and it was NOT a review like you said at first. You are just throwing a fit about "OMG they are not liking the game i like! They must be wrong and haters!"

I'm lol'ing hard at how a simple opinion (or as you like to say "bashing") on the game is sparkling so much whining.

Do they HAVE TO say "oh yes we love it! it's just great, Tera is so innovative and new!" even thought they don't feel like that?

Hypochrisy 

The guy at gamebreaker tv  was honest to himself and i respect that. And i enjoy to read the drama and whining he created. :)

And i will still play Tera.

I guess my question to you is.. Don't all MMOs require some level of time investment to be successful at them? I understand it is a sandbox, and to be honest I always thought that's what an MMO was supposed to be. A world where the players create the environment, and not world where the environment was created for you, and you go on rides. Then again I grew up on Ultima Online, and Asheron's call. In regards to a sandbox being a time sink.. well I personally wouldn't even play an MMO unless I was going to invest real time into it. Also, even though sandbox games exist - most of them have missed the mark imo. EvE is a really great game, but like someone said before - you need a degree from MIT just to play the game. Also, I couldn't really get into the space thing. It got really old really quick. All of the other sandboxes that I can think of right now are either developed by indie companies and are severly lacking, or are extremely old. I think Archeage will be a great renewal to the potential and fun of the true mmo. These themeparks are honestly what is killing the genre. I may stand alone with this opinion, but I want to play an MMO where I can help create the world, and not just ride the rides that other people made.

Mmorpg are timesink.

It's just that sandbox mmorpg are WAY BIGGER timesink than themepark mmorg.

It's not about difficulty of the game: it's about the time to have fun. Why do you think battlegrounds are so popular? because instead of going around the world trying to find people to pvp with you can easily enter a battleground and have fast, dirty and simple fun for 30 minutes.

I don't have 8 hours a day to enjoy a sandpark. Like many others I can spend 1 hour at best and the themeparks like TERA are perfect for that.

That's why Archeage and the games like it while nice on paper will always be a niche. 

If you think the TRUE mmorpg are the sandboxes and the themeparks like TERA are cancer ... FINE that's your opinion. And everyone has different preferences.

Big deal 

Because IT IS an opinion and it was NOT a review like you said at first. You are just throwing a fit about "OMG they are not liking the game i like! They must be wrong and haters!"

I'm lol'ing hard at how a simple opinion (or as you like to say "bashing") on the game is sparkling so much whining.

Do they HAVE TO say "oh yes we love it! it's just great, Tera is so innovative and new!" even thought they don't feel like that?

Hypochrisy 

The guy at gamebreaker tv  was honest to himself and i respect that. And i enjoy to read the drama and whining he created. :)

Ha if you enjoy the drama you should dig out how the hating even started. Then we can have both a laugh or two. Until then your "honest to himself" argument it is amusing only to me.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Big deal 

Hypochrisy 

Mmorpg are timesink.

It's just that sandbox mmorpg are WAY BIGGER timesink than themepark mmorg.

It's not about difficulty of the game: it's about the time to have fun. Why do you think battlegrounds are so popular? because instead of going around the world trying to find people to pvp with you can easily enter a battleground and have fast, dirty and simple fun for 30 minutes.

I don't have 8 hours a day to enjoy a sandpark. Like many others I can spend 1 hour at best and the themeparks like TERA are perfect for that.

That's why Archeage and the games like it while nice on paper will always be a niche. 

If you think the TRUE mmorpg are the sandboxes and the themeparks like TERA are cancer ... FINE that's your opinion. And everyone has different preferences.

I think that's a pretty dramatic way to put it. I just think the genre has lost its way. Somehow we went from an open world for players to do whatever they want with pretty much no limitation - to a massively linear gaming structure that takes very little challenge or effort. Don't get me wrong. I've been playing themeparks for years. There are some good things to them. Just think we went the wrong direction. I will also be playing TERA.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I think that's a pretty dramatic way to put it. I just think the genre has lost its way. Somehow we went from an open world for players to do whatever they want with pretty much no limitation - to a massively linear gaming structure that takes very little challenge or effort. Don't get me wrong. I've been playing themeparks for years. There are some good things to them. Just think we went the wrong direction. I will also be playing TERA.

It isn't the developers that lead the games to this point, it's the people who pay for them that have. They pay for easy instant gratification and don't pay ( as much or often ) for games that only reward someones hard work. Games go in the direction of money not what would be a better game long term.

This discussion has been closed.