Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I purchased an unfinished game

Comments

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

I pre-purchase whenever i buy a game on steam because that's how steam works. It's nothing new to me.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339
    Well done OP! More power to you :).
    Guess what?? I purchased the same unfinished game too!! HIIGGH FIIIIIVVVEEE -Borat-

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

Hope you aren't letdown by your hasty purchase when you have barely seen any of the game yet (Almost no content past lvl 30 mind you) TC...though I have a really bad feelinbg you will be,

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Here's why I am buying Guild Wars 2 in spite of wanting to throw my head through a wall by the majority of the GW2 community and the over-hype of this game.

It's $60 with now subscription fees. So, why not?

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Terrant, the game is obviously unfinished because it's not even out yet.

OP, I think most people are forced into pre-purchasing it because of the 3 day head start. How many people have played a game in beta, realized it was bad and then dumped it before release day? Now we're locked in and I guess we'll find out how good the game really is. It looks good to me, but the only point I can't agree with is it costs $60 with a cash shop and legal RMT. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even be posting.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by OldManFunk

I bought the Guild Wars 2 prepurchase yesterday knowing that the game was not completely finished and the cash shop items had not been finalized... and I thought I'd share why I've done this despite never having ever preordered a game before.

How many MMOs change after you purchase them? All of them do, and most change in very drastic ways over the years. Buying a finished MMO doesn't guarantee that the game won't change for the worse at any given time.

How many cash shops change over time? I'm not aware of any game with a cash shop that doesn't add, remove or modify the items that they sell through the cash shop over time.

Given the numerous Guild Wars 2 beta videos that are out there I am confident that Guild Wars 2 is not just playable but has more polish than some recent final releases have had despite being incomplete. I'm not afraid of a Vanguard repeat. Even more, since Guild Wars 2 has no monthly fee the only way for them to keep making money off the game is to make the game so fun that I want to keep coming back to buy expansions and cash shop items. This isn't a problem for me.

Given Arenanet's reputation with Guild Wars and knowing that players can trade in-game gold for cash shop gems, I am not concerned with future cash shop items. If the cash shop items ruin the game then I'll stop playing... until the problem is addressed. The game has no monthly fee. I'm not out anything if I decide to play some other game. It's not like I'll have a subscription burning while I stew over unpopular changes to the game. This isn't a problem for me.

If you're not sure about the game or the cash shop then don't prepurchase it. It's not like they're going to run out of digital copies after the game is released. Wait and see. I'm sure that other people who have prepurchased, like me, will be posting game reviews after each beta weekend all the way up to and after the game's release.

I don't think that prepurchasing an unfinished game usually makes sense but it did for me this

Good post.  Would read again.

...anything deemed wrong or biased about it by others; would be better directed at our current system of Capitalism itself and the domination of it by Investor classes with rampant flash traded commodities speculation.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Zekiah

You guys are completely missing the point.

When you buy food, cars, houses etc., you're paying for something that's going to be COMPLETE when delievered. You don't buy houses that come with missing windows or cars with missing seats on a PROMISE that they'll show up later.

This really isn't difficult to grasp here. image

And you make the assumption that GW2 isnt going to be complete when every signle video and dev blog only shows things that are.  Both scenarios are trying to prove the same thing, albeit in a rather comical fashion.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by joocheese

That was a really good point. I have friends who have "pre purchased" Diablo 3 via WOW's annual pass. Not only did they just spend $150 on an unfinished game but a game which will require them to pay monthly subs. The fact that Blizzard can sell a game in development through the monthly subs of another of their games and still make a profit speaks volumes. The myth that monthly subs are a requirement for companies to create quality games is busted! Blizzard and Bioware are (have been) in effect gauging their player base.

Giving away a free game for committment in cash is a common tactic.  Currently on Steam if you pre-purchase Max Payne 3 you get 1 and 2 for free.  If you pre-purchase the new Men of War game, you get the old one for free.  if you purchase Naval//Air Arctic Circle you get Commander: Conquest of Americas.

The reason why you would pre-purchase these games is because it is a value-added service.  In exchange for your purchase you get something in return.

Guild Wars 2 pre-purchase doesn't have that.  At first you say "well I get a 3-day head start" but that's not three free days of play, that is your subscription starting three days earlier.  If anything it actually will end up costing you more.

We knew that subscriptiosn were not necessary when we found out Perfect World International was out-grossing Blizzard Entertainment.  Indeed you can go further and say that selling MMOs is equally a scam as you can make as much or more off of microtransactions.

It shouldn't be a shock that Blizzard is trying to make money.  Nor should it be a secret that Bioware is trying to make money.  They're businesses.  ArenaNet (which is owned by NCSoft) initially stated that they would make all of their money off of just box sales and provide support for the game from that pool of money.  They also stated their business model would call on expansions as their big money maker.  After about two years they decided they were going to have microtransactions.

Call it what you want but ArenaNet is as dirty as Activision and Electronic Arts.

This is especially true considering the pre-order for the game isn't cheaper (like most games you pre-order) it's the exact same price.  The benefits of pre-ordering a video game have to be apparent in the purchase.

Another major reason for pre-orders was liimited supply.  A lot of really popular games only could support so many box copies and really digitial distribution is a pretty new thing.  But with pre-orders being all digital they should in fact be cheaper than the box price, not the same.

Although I may buy Guild Wars 2 after launch I'm not going to feed them my credit card information so quickly.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

Well others mmorpg (WoW) sell unfinished expansions all the time and 10 million players buy them, I dont really see a problem on my pre-purchase of gw2....

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by troublmaker

That was a really good point. I have friends who have "pre purchased" Diablo 3 via WOW's annual pass. Not only did they just spend $150 on an unfinished game but a game which will require them to pay monthly subs. The fact that Blizzard can sell a game in development through the monthly subs of another of their games and still make a profit speaks volumes. The myth that monthly subs are a requirement for companies to create quality games is busted! Blizzard and Bioware are (have been) in effect gauging their player base.

1) Giving away a free game for committment in cash is a common tactic.  Currently on Steam if you pre-purchase Max Payne 3 you get 1 and 2 for free.  If you pre-purchase the new Men of War game, you get the old one for free.  if you purchase Naval//Air Arctic Circle you get Commander: Conquest of Americas.

2) The reason why you would pre-purchase these games is because it is a value-added service.  In exchange for your purchase you get something in return.

3) Guild Wars 2 pre-purchase doesn't have that.  At first you say "well I get a 3-day head start" but that's not three free days of play, that is your subscription starting three days earlier.  If anything it actually will end up costing you more.

4) We knew that subscriptiosn were not necessary when we found out Perfect World International was out-grossing Blizzard Entertainment.  Indeed you can go further and say that selling MMOs is equally a scam as you can make as much or more off of microtransactions.

4) It shouldn't be a shock that Blizzard is trying to make money.  Nor should it be a secret that Bioware is trying to make money.  They're businesses.  ArenaNet (which is owned by NCSoft) initially stated that they would make all of their money off of just box sales and provide support for the game from that pool of money.  They also stated their business model would call on expansions as their big money maker.  After about two years they decided they were going to have microtransactions.

4) Call it what you want but ArenaNet is as dirty as Activision and Electronic Arts.

5) This is especially true considering the pre-order for the game isn't cheaper (like most games you pre-order) it's the exact same price.  The benefits of pre-ordering a video game have to be apparent in the purchase.

5) Another major reason for pre-orders was liimited supply.  A lot of really popular games only could support so many box copies and really digitial distribution is a pretty new thing.  But with pre-orders being all digital they should in fact be cheaper than the box price, not the same.

6) Although I may buy Guild Wars 2 after launch I'm not going to feed them my credit card information so quickly.

1) Since when is something free when you're paying for it? Purchasing (or pre purchasing) a game and getting other stuff for "free", is not free, just getting more for your money I guess (i.e. wow & diablo 3); you're still paying for it buddy.

2) So... if I pre purchase GW2 am I not getting something in return? If you buy something from Amazon and have it shipped to your house, are you getting something in return right away (instant gratification) or do you have to wait a bit until it arrives to enjoy your "value-added" service? Pre purchasing Diablo 3 via wow subs is just the same as pre purchasing GW2. In both cases you are buying a game that you don't get to play right away, just the same as when you order stuff from ebay, amazon, bestbuy; you're buying a product and having to wait till you get to enjoy it.

2) Trolls will say that both games aren't finished so you're buying an incomplete product, unlike products from Amazon. In that case they are taking the analogy too far (hence they are trolls). The point is that in both cases you are buying a product (complete/incomplete) that you have to wait a relative number of days to enjoy. Just for the Trolls out there, I bought a bread box from an amish store, it should arrive in early May cuase it still needed to be built (by hand); I guess that's a much better analogy for the pre purchase.

3) Not sure which troll-rock you've been living under, but GW2 has no subs, unlike wow and tor. Once you buy the game, that's it, no more money spent (unless you wish to spend money in the CS at your own will & discretion). With GW2's pre purchase you get beta access (cool way of learning the game and figuring out which profession to play) and 3 day access to the game before release day. The game is already paid for buddy, I ain't paying any subs. If we both buy the same game but I get it 3 days before you do, would that not make it a better deal for me? just a thought.

4) I am very much aware that gaming companies have to make money in order to survive and therefore make subsequent games. NO ONE IS DENYING THAT! Difference is that with GW2 you only HAVE to pay for the game once, with WOW, TOR and other subs-mmos you HAVE to buy the game and then on top of that pay monthly subs. If any gaming company is being a dick, I think the choice is clear (though its clear that the king of dicks is EA; they raped Age of Empires and the Simcity franchise... sad, so sad).

5) Again, not sure which troll-rock you've been living under... pre purchase is very different than pre order. With a pre purchase, you are buying the actual game, except that you are buying it before release. With pre order, you are reserving a copy with the ability to renege on the purchase if you so desire. That's why pre order is usually much cheaper than pre purchase.

6) I truly hope you buy GW2, and I hope I see you in the Mists... cause I'm looking forward to kicking your ass! :-)

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

For the record, I have pre purchased two copies of GW2 (one for me and one for my wife). We are both very excited about playing in the coming betas and in the 3 day head start! :-)

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Giving away a free game for committment in cash is a common tactic.  Currently on Steam if you pre-purchase Max Payne 3 you get 1 and 2 for free.  If you pre-purchase the new Men of War game, you get the old one for free.  if you purchase Naval//Air Arctic Circle you get Commander: Conquest of Americas.

The reason why you would pre-purchase these games is because it is a value-added service.  In exchange for your purchase you get something in return.

Guild Wars 2 pre-purchase doesn't have that.  At first you say "well I get a 3-day head start" but that's not three free days of play, that is your subscription starting three days earlier.  If anything it actually will end up costing you more.

We knew that subscriptiosn were not necessary when we found out Perfect World International was out-grossing Blizzard Entertainment.  Indeed you can go further and say that selling MMOs is equally a scam as you can make as much or more off of microtransactions.

It shouldn't be a shock that Blizzard is trying to make money.  Nor should it be a secret that Bioware is trying to make money.  They're businesses.  ArenaNet (which is owned by NCSoft) initially stated that they would make all of their money off of just box sales and provide support for the game from that pool of money.  They also stated their business model would call on expansions as their big money maker.  After about two years they decided they were going to have microtransactions.

Call it what you want but ArenaNet is as dirty as Activision and Electronic Arts.

This is especially true considering the pre-order for the game isn't cheaper (like most games you pre-order) it's the exact same price.  The benefits of pre-ordering a video game have to be apparent in the purchase.

Another major reason for pre-orders was liimited supply.  A lot of really popular games only could support so many box copies and really digitial distribution is a pretty new thing.  But with pre-orders being all digital they should in fact be cheaper than the box price, not the same.

Although I may buy Guild Wars 2 after launch I'm not going to feed them my credit card information so quickly.

red: there is no GW2 sub... >.<

pink: only indie games sell for less on prepurchase.. big name games never do this

green: they never are so why complain since Anet is doing it? I prefer to buy digital copies from the caompany... I like having all of the money go to the ones who deserve the it.. 

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

I was happy to pre-purchase. I've seen enough of GW2 to know that I would buy it at launch anyway. The perks for pre-purchasing are worth the handful of cents of interest I'm sacrificing by buying now instead of leaving that money in the bank.

At first you say "well I get a 3-day head start" but that's not three free days of play, that is your subscription starting three days earlier. If anything it actually will end up costing you more.
    Not sure if trolling, retarded, or just trying to say in a really convoluted way that a three day headstart = three more days of spending money at the cash shop?
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

For the record, I have pre purchased two copies of GW2 (one for me and one for my wife). We are both very excited about playing in the coming betas and in the 3 day head start! :-)

Glad to here that Joocheese, I am a volunteer for big brothers here and bought two copies one for the kid I am helping and the other for myself, this way I could help him out without leaving my home and because of  tge lack of monthly subs, it would save me a lot of money :).

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007

Buying the game when it's released. If I'm happy with it I'll play it for awhile, if not then I won't play it again. Thats pretty much it. Simple and easy. Not out anything except the purchase price.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by Banquetto

I was happy to pre-purchase. I've seen enough of GW2 to know that I would buy it at launch anyway. The perks for pre-purchasing are worth the handful of cents of interest I'm sacrificing by buying now instead of leaving that money in the bank.

At first you say "well I get a 3-day head start" but that's not three free days of play, that is your subscription starting three days earlier. If anything it actually will end up costing you more.

Not sure if trolling, retarded, or just trying to say in a really convoluted way that a three day headstart = three more days of spending money at the cash shop?

Normally when you pre-order a game you dont have to pay in advance. You pay when the game is released and your copy is ready to ship. I think that is fair business...

Personally I dont think its good if it becomes the norm to pay in advance for games with no release date with NDA still active. If the players accept this other companies will do the same thing.

Sooner or later you will pay some company in advance and the game will be canceled and never released. Money gone and wasted for nothing in that case.

• ammoniteammonite Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by Rohn

Originally posted by slicknslim88

Anybody who has bought a Capcom game, EA game, or a Blizzard game in the last several years has bought an unfinished game.  It's nothing new in today's gaming world anymore unfortunately.

So, the question is: Why is it evil when other game companies do it, but awesome when ANet does it?

I've been asking myself that a lot recently, over a range of things (i.e. "P2W" cash shop, instanced e-sport PvP, EZ mode instant gratification 80s for PvP, easy fast travel, extremely fast leveling, meaningless game world, etc).

There is no Pay to Win Cash shop; what game are you talking about?, and please educate us as to what you mean by 'meaningless game world'.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Hurvart

Normally when you pre-order a game you dont have to pay in advance. You pay when the game is released and your copy is ready to ship. I think that is fair business...

Personally I dont think its good if it becomes the norm to pay in advance for games with no release date with NDA still active. If the players accept this other companies will do the same thing.

Sooner or later you will pay some company in advance and the game will be canceled and never released. Money gone and wasted for nothing in that case.

Orange part: This is true, but I think the reason they did this was to avoid people buying up beta keys who are just going to cancel pre-release anyway (aka freeloaders). This is a problem that happens quite often w/ pre-orders. So, for this game you can still pre-order, and you might even get in beta, but you aren't guarunteed in the same way.

Blue part: I fully agree with you on this one. The only reason I'm going along w/ it in this case is because:

a) I've seen enough of the game to know that I'm going to enjoy it.

b) I've had experience with Anet for the passed 7 years, and they are one of the few studios that I still trust in this industry

However, if Funcom or SOE tried this, I'd just laugh all my money back into my wallet.

Red part: If this were to happen, you can bet people would get their money back. Especially if it was a US company doing it. That is an extremely clear breach of the law, and I'm not sure even the best lawyers could spin it any other way. What would be a more likely move, would be for them to deliver an empty-shell of a product, missing most of the features as promised, with minimal-no support. However, that's happened even with pre-orders.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

GW2 has no monthly fee (A.K.A. Subscription) 

ArenaNet is not owned by ncsoft.. NCSoft is only publishing the game ANet makes... It's the same thing as with writers and their publisher... If a writer Peter Peterious writes a book and uses a publisher company named Good Read, is the Good Read the owner and the writer of that book? They have no connections between eachother except for that one book...

They never said such thing... They said there will be no monthly fee, that's it...  

Last time I checked ANet didn't do anything to milk out dry their players with game which has a monthly fee and still charges a full price for expansions or ruined a great game at the end and offering a day 1 DLC or even having slow and lame support in an MMORPG.

Why the hell should this game be any cheaper than any other games ? The benefits are there, you get 3 days head start and some other in game perks like name reservation advantage and stuff like that... This game shouldn't even be cheaper than any other mmo because this one HAS NO MONTHLY FEE.

It's not pre-order... It's pre-purchase... Pre-purchases and pre-orders AREN'T purely digital... You can pre-purchase a collectors edition which isn't digital ofcourse. Pre-order isn't digital as well...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by korent1991

They never said such thing... They said there will be no monthly fee, that's it...  

Just to clarify, they also mentioned a bulk of their income would come from box sales / expansions instead of a subscription. However, I'm not surprised if some people took that as an exclusive statement.

Anet has had a cash shop since the first expansion of GW1. This is nothing new, and those of us who have followed the game and have been reading the facts have known about this for a while. The only people caught off guard are those who are either new to this game, or don't bother reading the actual info available for it.

I won't say anymore on this, because this issue has already been beaten to death, and we don't need YET ANOTHER thread on this.

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

ArenaNet IS NOT OWNED BY NCSOFT.. Never was... NCSoft is only publishing the game ANet makes... It's the same thing as with writers and their publisher... If a writer Peter Peterious writes a book and uses a publisher company named Good Read, is the Good Read the owner and the writer of that book? They have no connections between eachother except for that one book...

ArenaNet is a subsidiary of NCsoft. The latter does indeed own the former.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Originally posted by Exilor

ArenaNet IS NOT OWNED BY NCSOFT.. Never was... NCSoft is only publishing the game ANet makes... It's the same thing as with writers and their publisher... If a writer Peter Peterious writes a book and uses a publisher company named Good Read, is the Good Read the owner and the writer of that book? They have no connections between eachother except for that one book...

ArenaNet is a subsidiary of NCsoft. The latter does indeed own the former.

Indeed, ArenaNet is a wholly-owned subsidiary of NCsoft, and has been since 2002. The same as BioWare is a subsidiary of EA.

So NCsoft will dictate policy with regards to revenue. That means NCsoft will set the earnings targets for GW2...

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

Originally posted by Zekiah

It's a good thing that people aren't willing to pay for food, cars, houses or operations that aren't finished because I guarantee you they'd try to sell us that crap if they could get away with it. The gaming industry is the only one I know of that people gladly hand over wads of cash for unfinished products. There's a difference in adding content later and adding promised content later. How many games are shipping without systems these days such as PvP? It's pathetic.

woah dude.. i shelled out almost 500k for a house that was an empty piece of land when i bought it... i got it 8 months later.. and thats a hell of a lot less then a video game... i spent 50k on a car i had to wait for 2 weeks to be completed in the factory... both of these i had no idea what the finished quality product would be like..

that being said and having been lucky enough to get into beta, i was more then satisfied with the $200 i shelled out for CE the other day... see you at launch

Edit - also i bought those products on faith hoping they wouldnt be unfinished products, but you never actually know what you get till it's finished.. you're making an assumption that guild wars 2 is going to be an unfinished product at release... when i moved into my house it actually was unfinished, they hadnt finished putting up curtains and a couple of other small things that got finished a few weeks after moving in...

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

i'm a unconditional GW fan but i will only purchase the pre-purchase after the release date it's announced

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Nice post but to be honest i do not see how this is different from other f2p debate threads,  this really should of been posted in an already ongoing thread.