Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I purchased an unfinished game

Comments

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Zekiah

You guys are completely missing the point.
    When you buy food, cars, houses etc., you're paying for something that's going to be COMPLETE when delievered. You don't buy houses that come with missing windows or cars with missing seats on a PROMISE that they'll show up later.
    This really isn't difficult to grasp here. image

You are the one who is struggling. You are making an unprovable assertion as fact as the basis of your whole argument:

"you're paying for something that's going to be COMPLETE when delievered."

Yep, that's what we're doing too. When GW2 is "delivered" the understanding of those who pre-purchased is it will be "complete" (or acceptably functional if you prefer). Car Dealers deliver cars all the time with missing accessories that were "out of stock" that you have to return to receive - sometimes "big ticket items" like CD players, etc. An even better analogy is Concert/Play Tickets. People pre-purchase "Opening Night" tickets all the time based on a number of reasons without having any first (or often even second) hand knowledge of whether the play/performance will be good. And some of those tickets cost FAR more than the price of GW2.

It seems that your whole level of angst and outrage is based on the idea that GW2 will *never* be complete. That this is somehow all a sham. That as I said is an unprovable accusation.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Meowhead

When you buy food, cars, houses etc., you're paying for something that's going to be COMPLETE when delievered. You don't buy houses that come with missing windows or cars with missing seats on a PROMISE that they'll show up later.

Uh, yeah, actually you do buy houses with the promise they'll be complete when delivered.  Or cars.

Have you never paid to have a house built, or have a car custom made for you?  :(  (I've had the latter, though not the former, though I know plenty of people who have)

People pay ahead of time for things in construction all the time. :T 

That is correct, they are COMPLETE and not missing parts. Most MMOs that people pay for these days are not COMPLETE and are missing systems, items etc.

Hello?

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by grimal

I hope this thread stays up after post-release so we can see what percentage are rewarded for their buying confidence.

You won't have to wait that long. Our first reward for buying early comes this next beta weekend... assuming that they can setup enough servers so that we can all get in. ;)

I bought the original Guild Wars the first week that it was released. I played it for a couple months and then stopped because I was in a WoW raid guild and simply didn't have the time for another game.

The great thing about Guild Wars is that I've played it no less than 4 separate times over the years, never having bought any expansions or cash shop items and never felt like I was unable to enjoy the game without purchasing more. I prefer first person shooters and MMO PvE to the original Guild Wars play style and so never stayed interested once another, more interesting game came along... but that's no slight to Guild Wars. It was a fun game and well worth the money spent.

Guild Wars 2 is much more like the kind of game that I'd spend way too much time playing... a persistent world to explore, 5 man PvE dungeons, DAoC style RvR with conquest objectives, structured PvP... ;)

If Guild Wars 2 can retain even a portion of the replayability that my original Guild Wars purchase has then I'll have spent my money wisely... much more wisely than I've spent on the stack of PS3 games next to my TV that I have no interest in playing anymore.

It's true, we could get burned and GW2 could end up being a flop... but so far, from what I've seen in videos and read from reviews I'm willing to take (and have taken!) a chance by prepurchasing the game so that I will be able to play during beta weekends. I figure even if the game isn't (even though it seems as if it is) ready I'd still buy it when it is eventually ready because the game features are pretty amazing... tons of skills for each class, normalized gear, fair and balanced pvp that lacks dedicated healers (thank god) as well as the zerg-crazy RvR style battles that will be maintained and updated like a traditional MMO with no monthly fees is just too good to pass up even if the game isn't perfect during beta or requires additional polish post release.

I'd certainly not give a noname game company who does not have a proven track record my hard earned money in hope of eventually getting a playable game. ArenaNet has earned my confidence or else they would not have gotten my cash.
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Uh, yeah, actually you do buy houses with the promise they'll be complete when delivered.  Or cars.

Have you never paid to have a house built, or have a car custom made for you?  :(  (I've had the latter, though not the former, though I know plenty of people who have)

You buy things before they're finished all the time. He (the guy you responded to) apparently isn't familiar with this, but it's a fact nonetheless. I'm really sick of these threads chastising (spelling?) other adults on how and WHEN they spend their money. If someone doesn't want to pre-purchase then don't, but don't waste your time lecturing other adults on what you think THEY should do. Most of us couldn't care less what you think. (That's not to YOU, Meow.) I realize the thread wasn't started negatively, but any GW2 thread BECOMES negative these days. It's ridiculous.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

You know what I don't why you are still whinning about the whole car thing since page 2. Follow this questionaire:

1. Are you are child less than 18 years?

2. Are you are big fan of Arenanet?

3. Were you going to buy guild wars 2 no matter what?

4. Is 60 dollars a lot of money for you and will probably send you to the poor house?

5. Are you 100% sure of guild wars 2, will be the game for you and will meet most of your expectations?

6. Do you have freewill?

7. Are you concern about what others do with their time and money?

Here is the answer key, if you questions don't match at least 1 of them, then clearly guild wars 2 pre-purchase is not designed for you.

1. NO

2. YES

3. YES

4. NO

5. YES

6. YES

7. NO
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

That is correct, they are COMPLETE and not missing parts. Most MMOs that people pay for these days are not COMPLETE and are missing systems, items etc.

Hello?

... I'm sorry, i didnt' realize a big pit dug in the ground was a complete house.

I guess we just have different standards. :)

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Show me a MMO that is ever 'complete', and I have bought pizza that has sucked....I got 2 large pizzas one time, for $30+, and we ate one slice, don't know if we finished the slice, and threw the pizza in the garbage (first time I have ever done it, and last, but I took the leap of faith that the new pizza place would be good, after so many people said this other franchise location was the best they ever had)....It looked good, but it sucked, and I even got online and made a bad review, and I don't ever even do that....  It tasted like rubber cheese with no taste, and tomato sauce with no seasoning...

I would get more use out of character creation in any game, then I got out of that pizza, not only did I lose the $30+, I had to take the time to go get it, gas, and then time/money to get another dinner...

I don't see much difference, I got a pizza, it sucked, people will get a mmo, they may think it sucks....No mmo is ever 'finished'/'complete' when released....

Originally posted by just1opinion

You buy things before they're finished all the time. He (the guy you responded to) apparently isn't familiar with this, but it's a fact nonetheless. I'm really sick of these threads chastising (spelling?) other adults on how and WHEN they spend their money. If someone doesn't want to pre-purchase then don't, but don't waste your time lecturing other adults on what you think THEY should do. Most of us couldn't care less what you think. (That's not to YOU, Meow.) I realize the thread wasn't started negatively, but any GW2 thread BECOMES negative these days. It's ridiculous.

When you purchase a car, house, or a meal at a restaurant, it comes COMPLETE. It doesn't come with missing doors, seats etc.

Lol.

<insert brick wall here>

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    How people spend their money does affect you though. It's why we've become a fastfood walmart high unemployment 1%'ers rule nation. You could spend your money at places with good reasonably priced food, at grocery stores run locally, and it wouldn't matter. Your world would still be controlled by what everyone else is doing. Eventually the places you liked to eat and shop would close, all in the name of the sacred cow capitalism. I'm not advocating the opposite, so don't even think about strawmanning me.

Hello?

... I'm sorry, i didnt' realize a big pit dug in the ground was a complete house.

When you get delivery of said house, is it missing windows, doors etc.? Yes or no?

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by silvermember

Originally posted by Abdar

Asking people to pre order a game still under a heavy NDA is wrong. I mean ultimiately people will make their own call, but this has SWToR written all over it. 

Wish I could say more..

Nobody really cares what you have to say.

The people that pre purchase did so knowing full well what they were getting themselves into. Nobody that pre purchase is a child most of htem are adults and they do so knowing full well what they are risking.

Also, a better analogy would be putting a down payment on a car(used) or house(not new). You might have a basic idea of how the house or car is, but you wont until a few weeks later. 

I said people will make their own call and that's fine. Their money. 

To further your analogy, do you buy a car before test driving it? Do you buy one based on select information when you know there's a lot that's still hidden from you? I sure wouldn't. Now we are only talking about a game here so less money of course, but the point is the same.

Either way, I'm still sticking to my guns and think it's wrong to ask people to buy your product when you are deliberately holding information back on it as well as not letting others share their thoughts on it.

When you buy a car used, what guarantee do you have that it wont break down in the middle of the road? the answer is you really don't have one. You might look at carfax for a hint, but there is no guarantee the car will still be running. Test driving doesnt always show problems until an extended amount of time.

It's good to stick to your gun, that why we have something called freewill. Whether its right or wrong its not really your concern or YOUR business, the people that  pre purchase clearly don't mind doing it. They all did so knowing full well whatever happens, happens. I think people like you need to stop worrying about what ADULTS with freewill DO with their money and just worry about yourself.

LOL what's wrong with you man. I didn't say anything anywhere where I was putting people down. I was putting the company down. I said people can do what they want.. it's their money. You work for ArenaNet or something?

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

You get what you pay for, some say.  In this case, you won't know what you purchased for quite a while.  Anet is using pre-purchases as interest free loans from its customers during the period the game is in development.  Blows my mind.  

OP, you're reasonable in your post, and as you know you're taking a risk (fortunately, it's not too expensive).  It makes sense to you.  But don't feel too badly if others think you're crazy to purchase something this way.  It all comes down to values and expectations.  

I'm just going to wait for it to release and then buy it.  You never know what'll happen between now and then.

The one area where I do disagree with your post is your assertion that pre-purchasing an MMO is the same as buying a dynamic MMO that is already released.  When you buy a released MMO you have access to exactly what the game offers and you definitely know whether or not you like it.  When you buy a non-released game, you really have no idea if you like it because you can't play it.  I guess to you it's like ordering a pizza online.  You can be pretty sure you'll like it but when it arrives you might not.  It happens.  

Either way, I'll be in the game with you, but I'll have made a few dollars in interest off of that $60 by then -- maybe a bit more to spend in the cash shop than you :)

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    But you aren't buying a car. You are buying a world.

If you bought a planet, would you be miffed that natural process continued to evolve and change your world? Would you go to the planet dealer and complain that your planet wasn't 'finished'. Are you upset 'God' didn't finish earth? I mean, it is still constantly changing and the balance for both pve and pvp really need to be addressed.

You aren't buying a finite product when you buy an mmo. You are buying an evolving product. If you don't like evolving products, don't buy them. Best to stick with the finite.
  • CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Asking people to pre order a game still under a heavy NDA is wrong. I mean ultimiately people will make their own call, but this has SWToR written all over it. 
    Wish I could say more..

Nobody really cares what you have to say.

The people that pre purchase did so knowing full well what they were getting themselves into. Nobody that pre purchase is a child most of htem are adults and they do so knowing full well what they are risking.

Also, a better analogy would be putting a down payment on a car(used) or house(not new). You might have a basic idea of how the house or car is, but you wont until a few weeks later. 

I said people will make their own call and that's fine. Their money. 

To further your analogy, do you buy a car before test driving it? Do you buy one based on select information when you know there's a lot that's still hidden from you? I sure wouldn't. Now we are only talking about a game here so less money of course, but the point is the same.

Either way, I'm still sticking to my guns and think it's wrong to ask people to buy your product when you are deliberately holding information back on it as well as not letting others share their thoughts on it.

So every game you have ever bought you have fully tested everything in it before doing so? That kinda seems impossible to me.  

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Here's the misconception. Guild Wars 2 fans are going to be just as pissed off as anyone else if the product we purchase sucks. No, we will not smile and pretend it doesn't have flaws. We are excited about this game and "hype it up" because we actually LIKE what we see. We don't see/have the same concerns/problems with what they have shown us and how they are doing things as ya'll do. How is that seriously so hard to understand?
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    If your so worried about it being complete, then your playing games in the wrong genre, your arguing for arguing sake, everyone knows what there getting into when buying a mmo pre-purchase or post is that same thing.

Mmo's are never complete, there is no ending nor is there an end to developing more features content and so on until the game dies.

Your buying a car or house analogy is flawed. It is complete as in there will not be making your car better, you purchased it as is. some come with warranties and will be fixed but not improved upon. you feed back will not fix something you dont like about your car

When you purchase a car, house, or a meal at a restaurant, it comes COMPLETE. It doesn't come with missing doors, seats etc.

Lol.

You've never had the privilege of buying anything NEW, have you? You order cars BEFORE they are built, same with houses. You are essentially paying for them BEFORE they are complete. Are you having trouble understanding this? At a restaurant, that is different. You don't pay for a MEAL until AFTER you've eaten (unless you're counting fast food). Guild Wars is being completed, some of us have already paid for it. Just like ordering a car from a plant or a house from a contractor. I trust the workers to finish it. The game is even better though, because more things will be added BEYOND the complete game in the future expansions. I wish there were expansions for my car. But I did pay for it BEFORE it was built. I don't see what's so hard about this concept.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Hello?

When you get delivery of said house, is it missing windows, doors etc.? Yes or no?

Actually, there's an article in the locker room at work, from the local newspaper, where one of my supervisors spent a LOT of money for a big hole in the ground that was supposed to be a backyard swimming pool.

So yes.  Sometimes you do get an incomplete house.  :D

For a slightly less traumatic viewpoint, sometimes you get a meal catered,and it turns out to suck.  Or sometimes you build a house, but can't afford to finish the whole thing in the end, and the rest goes in an addition at a time.  Like time to put the porch in later!

... or you end up doing repairs for various things that weren't quite perfect, or didn't turn out the way you really wanted after all (Actually, you know, these windows need to be replaced, this kind really isn't insulated well....)

It's not like houses are magically guaranteed to be exactly how you  wanted them. :(

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by Beezerbeez

Either way, I'll be in the game with you, but I'll have made a few dollars in interest off of that $60 by then -- maybe a bit more to spend in the cash shop than you :)

If I find GW2 to be anything less than the second coming of christ i'll be the first to start a thread and let everyone know. ;)

There's no reason to purchase the game ahead of time unless you want guaranteed play time during the beta weekends... but I do so there I am. :P

Lol.

You've never had the privilege of buying anything NEW, have you? You order cars BEFORE they are built, same with houses. You are essentially paying for them BEFORE they are complete. Are you having trouble understanding this?

When you take delivery of said car or house, is it missing doors or windows? Yes or no?

Lol.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

When you take delivery of said car or house, is it missing doors or windows? Yes or no?

Lol.

WHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Complete website dedicate to recalls: http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/index.jsp

Plenty of those out there. So yes clearly even those product my be defect of faulty...yes or no? Also plenty of houses have defect when handed to the owner often the house is not even finished when the owner recieved it. Admitingly there is normally a fine involved in these cases. 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    I've learned it is impossible to "win" against this kind of "logic."

I too purchased an unfinished game. I am confident that the money I spent was well spent. If it turns out to not be money well spent, that will suck. But oh well, that is life. I'd rather take a risk and get burned then never try anything new or never allow myself to be excited about something just because it MIGHT not be all I thought it was. Reality wants you to come back, seriously.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Lol.

You've never had the privilege of buying anything NEW, have you? You order cars BEFORE they are built, same with houses. You are essentially paying for them BEFORE they are complete. Are you having trouble understanding this?

Lol.

No, but 9 out of 10 times it's being financed. WoW wasn't finished years ago and I pre-purchased. It's not a huge deal. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Hello?

Actually, there's an article in the locker room at work, from the local newspaper, where one of my supervisors spent a LOT of money for a big hole in the ground that was supposed to be a backyard swimming pool.

So yes.  Sometimes you do get an incomplete house.  :D

For a slightly less traumatic viewpoint, sometimes you get a meal catered,and it turns out to suck.  Or sometimes you build a house, but can't afford to finish the whole thing in the end, and the rest goes in an addition at a time.  Like time to put the porch in later!

... or you end up doing repairs for various things that weren't quite perfect, or didn't turn out the way you really wanted after all (Actually, you know, these windows need to be replaced, this kind really isn't insulated well....)

It's not like houses are magically guaranteed to be exactly how you  wanted them. :(

Sounds like he has grounds for a lawsuit, yes?

And once again, the quality of the food isn't the point, what we're talking about is COMPLETION. When you order from a restaurant they give you ALL the food at once, regardless of taste.

But whatever, can't believe this is even being argued.

Everything is fine folks, all MMOs come complete with all systems and items in tact. Nothing to see here, move along...

Lol.

Lol.

Lol.

When the car is delivered, yes, it's complete. The house...usually. I think Meowhead gave an example of an incomplete housing purchase sans swimming pool.
    When we take "delivery" of GW2 it will ALSO be complete, or....as close to complete as any MMO. There will be future expansions, that's part of the deal. If you don't like it....don't fucking buy it. What's so hard about this for you? I don't get it.