Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I purchased an unfinished game

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Abdar

Asking people to pre order a game still under a heavy NDA is wrong. I mean ultimiately people will make their own call, but this has SWToR written all over it. 

Wish I could say more..

I have seen enough of the game to know that my $60 is well spent.I wonder if any of you people get all worked up over a single player game that has the same cost of entry.

I pre purchased for beta access but I already knew I was buying it before that point so what did I lose? Nothing.

But what it really comes down to is this, if you havn't seen enough of the game to make you want to spend what you would spend on any single player pc or console game for that matter then by all means do not buy it.Wait til it has released, no one is forcing anyone to buy anything.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    This thread is bizarre. Mostly because neither side has a logical argument.

I pre-purchased the CE edition . . . because I wanted to. Not because of some elaborate set of reasons, but because I'm going to play GW2, and I want the CE, so I bought it. Simple.

The analogies in this thread are retarded. And the whole "you don't buy something until it's done" concept is nonsense. People buy houses during the planning stage all the time, new models of cars are sold every year and more often than should be permitted (considering you can die as a result of a faulty vehicle) they issue recalls. And so on with all types of things in life.

It's like this, if you don't want to buy it until it's out and others have had a chance to play it and give feedback, then do that. If you want to buy it now, then do that. Yay, kumbaya!
  • ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by Fangrim

In the not to distant future every single MMO on the market wether you pay a monthly sub or not will have some form of cash shop in it.

its already very close to that right now...

Actually, I can't name any off of the top of my head that don't.

me either but I am sure they exist in some fashion... perhaps....

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Zekiah

It's a good thing that people aren't willing to pay for food, cars, houses or operations that aren't finished because I guarantee you they'd try to sell us that crap if they could get away with it. The gaming industry is the only one I know of that people gladly hand over wads of cash for unfinished products.

Actually, people pay money for all these things before seeing them in their finished state, especially when whatever it is is especially desirable. A lot of products (and services) are paid for on faith and reputation alone.

I don't usually pre purchase, but to me, and others, GW2 is particulalry desireable.

And it's less expensive then buying a new build house.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

It's a good thing that people aren't willing to pay for food, cars, houses or operations that aren't finished because I guarantee you they'd try to sell us that crap if they could get away with it. The gaming industry is the only one I know of that people gladly hand over wads of cash for unfinished products. There's a difference in adding content later and adding promised content later. How many games are shipping without systems these days such as PvP? It's pathetic.

People pre pay for unbuilt houses all the time. No construction company in the world is going to build a house on the promise of payment. Now, that does not compare well with a video game, especially an MMO. You are talking about a relatively cheap form of recreation compared to something you are going to get a 30 year mortgage for.

The point is, at the end of the day, people will spend money in anyway the market will bear it. If millions of people pre buying this game, good for Anet. I have zero trouble with Anet's policy, because they force no one to buy it. If this was the ONLY time to buy the game, I would have a huge problem with it, but people who are not comfortable pre purchasing do not have to, so I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why they would care. 

They, like myself, can just buy the game when I am comfortable buying the game. Hell, I can wait a month, watch more beta reviews, listen to my rl friends who do the weekend betas, make  an informed decision based on the sources of information *I* trust, and STILL buy the game before launch, with all the perks if I want. This is not auto insurance or some other thing you are required to buy, this is a game. Don't pre purchase it if you do not want to. 

I can be critical of this game, and all you have to do is look at my post history to know I am not a fanboy of this game (though I do want to play it), but hating something you are not required to do is just silly.

And the argument I hear, is that if Anet does this, and it is successful, then other companies will do it as well, and it will spread. The thing is, this argument is moot too. If Anet does this, and IS SUCCESSFUL, that means they have had a good game that is well recieved. The next company that comes along and follows suit, either better be successful, or face the nerd fury and resulting backlash. In order for pre purchase to be a success, the game will have to be a success too.

If the game sucks, this will be the last time this works for many, many people. Look at Bioware...they have gone from one of the most beloved names in the industry to a whipping boy (justifiably perhaps).

Also, maybe I am naive, but I really, REALLY doubt Anet will release a crap product just because people pre purchased. This is a game company with people putting a lot of blood, sweat and tears into this game. I am sure they are going to give you the best game they can. That is trust.

Trust is why people are pre-purchasing this game.

Anet will either deliver, or die, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    It's the whole "early adopters" versus everyone else and risk that lighthouse customers take.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_innovations

Originally posted by Vesavius

It's a good thing that people aren't willing to pay for food, cars, houses or operations that aren't finished because I guarantee you they'd try to sell us that crap if they could get away with it. The gaming industry is the only one I know of that people gladly hand over wads of cash for unfinished products.

Actually, people pay money for all these things before seeing them in their finished state, especially when whatever it is is especially desirable. A lot of products (and services) are paid for on faith and reputation alone.

I don't usually pre purchase, but to me, and others, GW2 is particulalry desireable.

was just going to say this... elaborating.. people by meat animals young hoping they grow enough and survive to provide enough meat. Not to mention the whole buying raw food at the grocery store >.<. People pay for new cars before they are ready EVERY DAY! Houses... wow this happens with every new development in existance... they sell the houses and the lot even before contruction has begun.

piglet perhaps 50 bucks

new car perhaps 30k

new house perhaps 250k

GW2 60...

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by olepi

Unless there is a free trial the only difference between purchasing at launch versus pre-order/purchase is the date. You are still going off of available information to make your decision. Pre-order just gets a few bonus perks for the risk you take. It's just like making a deposit or a down payment. Also, when you go to a new restaurant you have never been to do you know you will like the food? No, you have to go off of available information - reviews, word of mouth, etc. After all, what's life without a little risk? Trying new things, taking risks, yeah sometimes you will get burned. Reality 101.

I don't think the restaurant is a good example. I never pay for food before I get to see it, do you? I would never go to a new cafe, and pay for a meal, before it is even built. I guess it does make sense, if you were planning to buy anyway, to pre-purchase to get the perks. But no-one should ever be able to back out of that.

"Never pay for food before I get to see it" "Pay for a meal before it is even built." Apparently you've never been to a sit down restaurant?

Or a fast food place.

Originally posted by Dawnstar

Originally posted by olepi

Unless there is a free trial the only difference between purchasing at launch versus pre-order/purchase is the date. You are still going off of available information to make your decision. Pre-order just gets a few bonus perks for the risk you take. It's just like making a deposit or a down payment. Also, when you go to a new restaurant you have never been to do you know you will like the food? No, you have to go off of available information - reviews, word of mouth, etc. After all, what's life without a little risk? Trying new things, taking risks, yeah sometimes you will get burned. Reality 101.

I don't think the restaurant is a good example. I never pay for food before I get to see it, do you? I would never go to a new cafe, and pay for a meal, before it is even built. I guess it does make sense, if you were planning to buy anyway, to pre-purchase to get the perks. But no-one should ever be able to back out of that.

"Never pay for food before I get to see it" "Pay for a meal before it is even built." Apparently you've never been to a sit down restaurant?

Or a fast food place.

wow in my previous explanation this fits so much better! I didn't even think about that lol

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

People don't pay for those things knowing they're going to be incomplete and missing items. That's the point you and others are failing to grasp here.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

People don't pay for those things knowing they're going to be incomplete and missing items. That's the point you and others are failing to grasp here.

No, that actually wasn't the point you made. You are attempting to now shift to it though because your original point was answered.

I don't ever pre purchase a game knowing it will be incomplete and missing items either. I fully expect it to be a functional and fun product.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by silvermember

Originally posted by Abdar

Asking people to pre order a game still under a heavy NDA is wrong. I mean ultimiately people will make their own call, but this has SWToR written all over it. 

Wish I could say more..

Nobody really cares what you have to say.

The people that pre purchase did so knowing full well what they were getting themselves into. Nobody that pre purchase is a child most of htem are adults and they do so knowing full well what they are risking.

Also, a better analogy would be putting a down payment on a car(used) or house(not new). You might have a basic idea of how the house or car is, but you wont until a few weeks later. 

I said people will make their own call and that's fine. Their money. 

To further your analogy, do you buy a car before test driving it? Do you buy one based on select information when you know there's a lot that's still hidden from you? I sure wouldn't. Now we are only talking about a game here so less money of course, but the point is the same.

Either way, I'm still sticking to my guns and think it's wrong to ask people to buy your product when you are deliberately holding information back on it as well as not letting others share their thoughts on it.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I've never tried to argue that point Zek - all MMOs are unfinished when you buy them. Kind of been true for over a decade. Once again, GW2 pre-order is "business as usual" in the MMO genre.

Hasn't that "business as usual", all MMOs are "unfinished", rationale been identified as the bane of the MMO world for the last ten years?  Entire crusades against games have been led as a result.  Supposedly, it's what's been wrong with the industry, along with several other evils.

Allowing pre-orders before giving a release date has also been widely damned by the MMO community.  Prospective players are now funding the continued development of the game, as the saying goes, without ANet having the courage to determine an actual date of release.

So, it's business as usualy in the MMO industry with ANet as well.  Nothing new here.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

Anybody who has bought a Capcom game, EA game, or a Blizzard game in the last several years has bought an unfinished game.  It's nothing new in today's gaming world anymore unfortunately.

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391
    I wonder if NCsoft wanted the game to be released in april already, but ArenaNet was able to barter this prepurchase thing to avoid releasing an unfinished game. I think that would be the best case scenario.

Originally posted by slicknslim88

Anybody who has bought a Capcom game, EA game, or a Blizzard game in the last several years has bought an unfinished game.  It's nothing new in today's gaming world anymore unfortunately.

So, the question is: Why is it evil when other game companies do it, but awesome when ANet does it?

I've been asking myself that a lot recently, over a range of things (i.e. "P2W" cash shop, instanced e-sport PvP, EZ mode instant gratification 80s for PvP, easy fast travel, extremely fast leveling, meaningless game world, etc).

No, that actually wasn't the point you made. You are attempting to now shift to it though because your original point was answered.

I don't ever pre purchase a game knowing it will be incomplete and missing items either. I fully expect it to be a functional and fun product.

Perhaps my point wasn't clear enough, I apologize. The point is, people are willing to pay for unfinished and incomplete games while this is not true in other industries. You dont' see people buying a house with a promise of windows being delivered a month later. You don't see people buying cars on a promise that the seats will be delivered later. You don't see people buying a meal at a restaurant on a promise of the salad coming next week.

Would you agree with that or not?

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

As long as buying it early doesn't give you any lasting perks I really fail to see any problem with this practice.

Originally posted by Rohn

So, the question is: Why is it evil when other game companies do it, but awesome when ANet does it?

I've been asking myself that a lot recently, over a range of things (i.e. "P2W" cash shop, instanced PvP, EZ mode instant gratification 80s for PvP, easy fast travel, meaningless game world, etc).

Exactly, why? The answer is simple, fans of games tend to ignore quite a bit of truth and reality in order to justify their purchase.

We've all done it, just most refuse to admit it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I have to admit that the entire discussion of buying games without all the details out... gets lost on me.

Being forced to pre-purchase if you don't want to pay now for something, you get later is one thing...  (which I see with some direct orders)

Yet I keep seeing the option to not pay in advanced offered by 3rd parties... (gamestop, amazon etc)

What exactly is the problem supposed to be?   If you don't want to order at all... then wait.   If you really have a bad feeling about the game, waiting is the best thing to do no matter what.  

There is no real incentive to order now unless you want a guaranteed spot in a weekend test.   If you wait and buy the game after its out.. since there is a built in system to let you compete (pvp) then its not like you lose much by waiting... if you decide you want to buy it after launch.

I decided to pre-purchase the game because I know I am going to buy it.   I just want to pay for it and forget about it until its time to download a client etc..   I wish that all games up for Pre-order had a Pre-Purchase option as well.

Even if the NDA was not in effect... I would never base my purchase or non-purchase off another persons opinion.   Which is the only way NDA can come into the arguement... becuase as far as I know... no NDA in the world says when you test a game you cannot tell yourself about it and decide not to buy it.   Perhaps NDA would apply to people with MPD but I can't honestly say...

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

I've been asking myself that a lot recently, over a range of things (i.e. "P2W" cash shop, instanced PvP, EZ mode instant gratification 80s for PvP, easy fast travel, meaningless game world, etc).

Exactly, why? The answer is simple, fans of games tend to ignore quite a bit of truth and reality in order to justify their purchase.

Do you lose alot of sleep over what other people do with their money?

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    I dont think I would pay the full price, $30K, in advance for a car that I maybe would get 6 months later. Without even knowing what features it would have or its exact performance.
    Maybe,if I really wanted the car, I would be prepared to pay $5K in advance.

That are a lot of people that gets very suspicious as soon as someone wants them to give them money. Typically they would never buy anything from anyone based on faith and reputation if they had to pay in advance. As soon as paying in advance was mentioned they would scream and run.

You've hit the nail on the head, sir.

There's no accounting for liking.  People like things for a range of reasons, no rationale required, which is absolutely fine.

It would be nice if everyone was consistent, but they aren't.  Many will bend over backwards to justify or excuse a behavior with something they like, while savaging something else they don't like that does the exact same thing.  Just human nature, I guess.

GW2 will probably be a fun game.  And, it will probably feel more like a game/e-sport than an immersive, virtual world.  It will probably also have flaws, or things that some individuals characterize as flaws because they don't like them.  Unfortunately, it also looks like it's going to be a lot more similar to existing games than it's going to be different.

someone else made this agrument but ill elaborate... MMos and games are released incomplete every day and people BUY then knowing this. D3 will release without PVP that means its incomplete.. do you REALLY think that will lower its sales? Many indie games today are bought in advance with hopes of it being a great game when it comes out.

But your statement is pretty loaded.. you are implying that we think GW2 is incomplete and I for one completely disagree with that. Like any MMO they will relase whats ready and patch and expand as it goes. Think of this point though... GW2 is releasing a game with an amount of content on par or greater than the average release MMO. They are also making sure that things will work properly before its released.. we know this because they have said it many times. Think about TSW.. TSW in no way will be ready for release in June yet they stick to that date and are now selling lifetime subs...