Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What we still don't know at this time.

Comments

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

DarkPony , isn't Beta Weekends suppose to test the Lag levels in W v W

They did state that they are allowing 500 players per zone for a total of 2000 players, but also stated that it might go up based on server strength.

And with the Beta weekends with all the players that they will add, it will definitely test out the server strengths.

I believe its really in the hands of the First Beta Weekenders to see if these questions you have listed are answered.

But I am really surprised that this is all the questions that are left for an In development MMO.

SWTOR had so many Unknowns prior to Launch and even now TSW is still an Mystery to me.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Fir3line

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by UOvet

Originally posted by paulytheb

Hey Dark Pony ;

I really havent seen much discussion about this disclaimer at the bottom of the "buy GW2 website" it is the part with the asterisk.

*Due to potential changes, system requirements may change over time, and you may be required to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to continue to play the game.

just thought I would point this out and I wonder what you guys thought about it. (didn't seem to warrant its own post)

Translation - Don't complain about frames in WvW if you're running a single 560 Ti.

Yeah, something like that I guess: not sure if it's inspired by their concern about performance of current systems in stress testing or to allow for future player cap increasements to have bigger fights in WvW (for example) and to accomodate for an increase in system specs of the average player in a few years from now.

its more simple than that, games evolve over time, you can't play wow with a pentium III anymore, would u expect to in 7 year use a core 2 duo for GW2?

image Even though every pc gamer should know that by now. They still footnote it for those who think this works like consoles.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There has been an awful lot of press information regarding GW2 coming at us the past weeks and even though we caught a fair glimpse of a lot of aspects of the game there's still a lot of things we do not know at this time. Things that might or might not influence your decision to go for an early purchase.

Let's try and sum them all up and please correct me where I am wrong (I sucked up a lot of GW2 info but it's very likely that I missed some aspects) also please add those that you think I missed.

GW2, What we still don't know at this time:

- Launch date: pretty obvious one. Might be important for people for planning their weeks off.

- Higher than level 30 PVE content: there have been 50 levels missing in the press event. What is the state of this content?

update: So far two higher leveled areas have been in the Demo: posters report they are polished.

update: some links from wordoftruth showing demo play of higher level content in this post

- Higher than level 30 zones and regions: Due to the level restriction in the past event I think we've seen only a small part of the world. What's the state of these areas, polish wise?

update: So far two higher leveled areas have been in the Demo: posters report they are polished.

update: some links from wordoftruth showing demo play of higher level content in this post

- Dungeons: The bread and butter for some gamers: We saw only one of eight announced dungeons in action. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

update: Actually it seems it has been 1 instead of 2 of eight dungeons so far. 

They dont want to show the other Dungeons before release to keep them fresh.  every dungeon has  a personall story mode and 3 different paths.. so every dungeon consists out of 4 different adventures

- Mini games / Activities: Has any activity been available in the press event? (I might have missed some info on these) They mention 30 activities on the wiki.

update: Kegball has been reported to be in the event but hardly enyone recorded footage of it

update: a YT vid of some minigames here

- The current state of Class Balance / Racial Balance: Not only class balance might be a hotly debated aspect of GW2, but also Racial balance: as of now there are racial elite skills capable of one shotting people. Like the Charr Artillery Barage.

Update: Anet has stated that Racial Elite Skills aren't supposed to be as powerful as class ones: there might still be quite some balancing underway.

Update: Racial elite skills can not be usedt in structured pvp (conflicting reports about WvW).

- Their plans for the Cash Shop at launch and in the future: we've seen some itterations on their philosophy behind their cash shop in the past, and they say they want more player feedback in beta, but to me and others this is an important point that might make or break our intent to buy this game. Also the press was barred from disclosing anything about the CS in the press event because it is still subject to changes. But to make an informed decision this might paramount to some.

They are still testing and nothing is set in stone yet, thats a good reason not to share information about this

- Lag levels in WvW: The released videos so far have been a mixed bunch: some with and some without lag. Because the game will offer 100's versus 100's of players duking it out but we haven't seen battles on that scale yet (correct me if I'm wrong), this is important to those planning to live of WvW.

Some game magazines and other press people reported that the beta scaled very well with higher player numbers and they had virtually no lag, while some others allready had graphical lag with no other people present. Nvidia and Ati are working very hard to optimize their drivers for this game. This is not only important for WvWvW but also for major Dynamic events in PvE

- NDA drop: The NDA is supposed to drop at the next beta event but so far there haven't been any overall impressions from long term testers. Only long term testers are able to speak up about unforseen aspects and maybe give us an idea of the general state and longevity of the game.

- Update: What is the state of Sylvari and Asura races, capitals and starting zones?

update: removed rumor about those two races sharing a starter world. If so it needs confirmation. The general question still stands.

update: there's a map shown here suggesting they share a starting zone

update: a newer map here showing seperate starer zones for both races 

Obviously this zones are still not finalised yet, noboddy 

- Update: What is the state of structured pvp? So far people have reported they saw 2 maps and only conquest ones at launch. But there's hints of many more structured pvp options

At gamescom Arenanet stated that there will only be a few different conquest maps. They will focus entirely on conquest maps to make the E-sports crowd know what they need to concentrate on. There might be other type of maps after release tough, but as far as they knew last year they had no intention of adding them before release

- Update: Region Locking: How are you planning to accomodate for people who travel a lot? Is region locking only in place to warrant a regionally specific pricing model with big differences?

Obviously people like me that travel a lot are in for a dissapointment, i can play US servers from overhere in Holland. But i can not play with my version when i am working in the US or Australia. 

- Update: Pricing, frequency, rough schedual & distribution of additional content / expansions. (I added "frequency" and "rough schedual" myself, might be that they already made announcements about this so feel free to correct).

There will be more free content updates then in the orriginal game

Very well tought out post Pony, and you are very right, we dont have all info yet, but thats normal when there is still an NDA.

So people that dont trust this, should hold off buying the game untill it is released.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

It is amazing so little has been shown past lvl 30 and people are already clammering and calling this game a "revolution" and "the greatest thing since sliced bread" (These are actual qoutes i have seen on this board from fans mind you)

You guys are in for quite the wake up call..

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

I told people that Anet would put out oonly the polished content and limit player activiity in beta to the ebst parts to make their game look much better than it is in reality.

The questions concerning the cash shop are real.

The fact we have seen almost nothing past lvl 30 is rea

The fact that people are already stating this game is great is real...when they have not even seen more than 20% of the game.

You guys need to wake up quick, fast, and in a hurry or you will be deeply saddened.

Also, amazing people are trying to pass off the different difficulties of dungeons as entirely different dungeons. Yes they may redraw the path, but that doesnt change the mobs you face....come on. Wake up people!

Originally posted by Asheram

Originally posted by Monorojo

It is amazing so little has been shown past lvl 30 and people are already clammering and calling this game a "revolution" and "the greatest thing since sliced bread" (These are actual qoutes i have seen on this board from fans mind you)

[Mod Edit]
  • DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please refrain from using personal attacks. Thanks!

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Asheram

[Mod Edit]

it amazes me that people are clammering to know. what happened to discovering the world?

• dramatikzdramatikz Member Posts: 51
    will there be mac compatability?

[EQ][DAoC][WoW][WAR][SWToR][GW2][TSW][WS}

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

- Mini games / Activities: Has any activity been available in the press event? (I might have missed some info on these) They mention 30 activities on the wiki.

update: Kegball has been reported to be in the event but hardly enyone recorded footage of it

update: a YT vid of some minigames here

God I hope those aren't any of the 30 "minigames" they were originally talking about when they did their blog post on them several months ago.  Stand still, wait, press one button does not qualify as a minigame in my book.  Even the jousting in WoW was more engaging than that.  

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by BadSpock

Good post Pony.

I however want to point out one thing-

Anet has told us many times, in multiple ways, that there really is no "end-game" in Guild Wars 2.

What you see at low levels, well, you are going to see more of the same at higher levels.

Unlike many/most "themepark" MMOs, there is no batch of new/unseen content at the level cap.

They have said something along the lines of "we don't want you to play one game while you are leveling up and be playing a game that is totally different once you reach the max level."

So the issue of "we haven't seen anything past 30" is really a moot point in all regards except for of course the level of polish at higher levels vs. lower levels.

It really is/is supposed to be more of the same you've been doing the whole time you've been playing. No difference between max level and early PvP, as all PvP is really "max level" etc.

Some people really hate that idea.

No big raids or max level dungeons/heroics or gear treadmill etc. once you reach the cap. No new max level only PvP activities.

Great point BadSpock. 

Sure theres alot of stuff we dont know right now but sometimes you got to use a little common sense in what the Devs do with known content and trust the stuff that isnt known is as well polished as the rest.  Not every game is a Funcom Tortage starter area experience you know.  I know its hard to put much faith in what a company says especially considering you got burnt on SWTOR but alot of times you jsut got to go with gut instinct and common sense.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by dramatikz

Nope its for PC exclusively.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

It's the journey, not the destination that matters.

Actually, scratch that. We do this for the boobs.

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by dramatikz

You can run it on Macs if you boot into Windows with Bootcamp.

• Zolga0Zolga0 Member UncommonPosts: 7

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Originally posted by DJJazzy

We've only seen one dungeon out of 8 (or 2 out of 32 if you want to go that way).

Not sure what the highlighted means?  Not trying to be obtuse, just genuinly curious.

8 dungeon areas, 1 storymode, 3 explorable modes. So each dungeon will have 4 different experiences. So all together we have 32 different experiences with all of the dungeons in the game.

Still 8 dungeons.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Pony, please consider dividing the point about lag into client performance and latency. People often fail to see the difference.

Latency actually was pretty good, even in WvW, but client performance with 100v100 was a huge issue.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

I don't think we, the open beta guys, are going to see anything past 30. I think going to level 40 and beyond is for the closed beta guys.

This is not a game.

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

I told people that Anet would put out oonly the polished content and limit player activiity in beta to the ebst parts to make their game look much better than it is in reality.

The fact that people are already stating this game is great is real...when they have not even seen more than 20% of the game.

You guys need to wake up quick, fast, and in a hurry or you will be deeply saddened.

Also, amazing people are trying to pass off the different difficulties of dungeons as entirely different dungeons. Yes they may redraw the path, but that doesnt change the mobs you face....come on. Wake up people!

which company do you represent? Next time try to address each issue with a valid fact rather than "nothing past lv 30" when they had level 50+ content shown last year

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by pacov

which company do you represent? Next time try to address each issue with a valid fact rather than "nothing past lv 30" when they had level 50+ content shown last year

Dont feed him mate.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I agree, Monorojo just brings threads down with his venom.  Ignore the blighter.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Eir_S

I agree, Monorojo just brings threads down with his venom.  Ignore the blighter.

Is that the same guy that's been claiming all the other MMOs from TERA to AA have released info on every last bit of information on their games, and have never had an NDA? I swear..

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Naqaj

Pony, please consider dividing the point about lag into client performance and latency. People often fail to see the difference.

Latency actually was pretty good, even in WvW, but client performance with 100v100 was a huge issue.

Righty. Fixed that.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

With MMORPG.com locking all threads that suggest people wait before pre purchasing games and other people jumping down anyone's throat who would even suggest anything less than diving in head 1st without checking how deep the pool is, the overall tone to the entire website is starting to take a clear "slide" in a one-way direction.

It's the opposite direction to "Err on the side of caution"

I'm shocked that you would insinuate, no... publicly state that MMORPG.COM or its employees are locking threads to skew the conversation in an attempt to mislead people into purchasing an unfinished product that is not worth its asking price.

There's no need to attack this site or its employees.

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

According to Gamestop:

Release Date 6/26/2012