Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The price of this game is ridiculous

Comments

• tobes_1tobes_1 Member Posts: 1

https://www.coolshop.co.uk/catalog/product/72905-guild_wars_2_pre-purchase_edition_pc 

£39.99 pre purchase only a few left.

Sold out now

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by Torvaldr

TOR and RIFT are P2P service games not F2P cash shop games.  I can't think of a F2P cash shop game that charges an up front fee to play.  Paying an extra $60 and not getting game shop gems seems steep to me.

You're really desperate aren't you? The OP is not talking about the cash shop. If you want to discuss the cash shop, take it somewhere else.

• laxika91laxika91 Member Posts: 50

Well, it was marketed as 60$ and now its 55 euro. What the f...? Any way to buy for 60$ anymore?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

not paying £50 for a game that in the end has nothing really new to offer..

• YansheeYanshee Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Valua

The Digital Edition and the Digital Deluxe Edition are way over priced.

£49.99 and £64.99 Really?

What a rip off. 

The Old Republics two editions were both cheaper, Tera is cheaper, Secret World is cheaper, any WoW expansion was cheaper.

Why does Arenanet think they can charge this ammount? Because it's free to play (with a cash shop)? And I don't even get the retial box? Pathetic. 

Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and the new Assassins Creed were only £34.99.

I've never paid 50+ for a game in my life, and I never will, especially not for an MMO with a cash shop.

And a 3 day head start for those who pre-purchase it, 1 day for those who pre-order it. This seems like they are pretty worried about their game and want people to purchase it before release to me.

I had three days of headstart on The Old Republic to test it, and then cancel my order beacuse I didn't like the game, which I thought was very generous of Bioware. 

As you can probably tell I'm pissed off. I'll buy this game a few months after release when it's reduced to £20, which I can see happening fast with the current price of the game.

Or maybe they are hoping to keep the 'kiddies' from ruining it...

;-)

• orangerascalorangerascal Member Posts: 52

I don't know why people are complaining about the price in pounds Pre-VAT it would cost £41 or $66.66. Blame a ridiculously high VAT rate of 20%. American tax rate varies from 4% to about 13% that is added to the $60 depending on which state you purchase the game at.

If you think this is too expensive, don't buy it. I will buy because my investment will ensure that the developers develop more content in an industry where AAA title are falling left and right.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Original poster does have a point in that this will be a F2P title with cash shop model. So... 59$ to get started in a F2P cash shop is pretty harsh.

It's got the brutal wallet burn of a big console single player title, and then the constant money trickle of F2P cash shop. 

Have we seen someone try to pull this money squeeze yet? I'm not sure that we have, so there's plenty of reason to be skeptical here.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by someforumguy

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by Opapanax

I'm not sure what games OP has been playing the last 2 or 3 years. Games being priced at 59.99 is nothing new, the price increases have been coming for a while. I remember when it was big debate for the consoles when X360 and PS3 started charging 50 and 60 dollars for games.

This is pretty much the average pricing on high-end games. I'm not suprised by it, I think the OP just needs to do a little more research there.

For the OP the Anet website charges $80 (49.99 British Pounds) for the normal digital edition (that is a 33% difference with the US price). Which is not average priced at all.

/shrug... I paid £39 for the GF's standard version, which was completely in line with what I was expecting.

Has it occured to you that Anet charge more by agreement with their retail partners? The reasons to do it this way should be pretty obvious...

Well, we can guess what we want. But the OP just compared to other games he bought for full price. Thats the only thing he can really go on. And I agree that he should shop around, but still all this doesnt explain the huge price difference.

The fact that Anet allowed other retailers to sell the pre order for £39 should be the only explanation you require.

It didn't happen that way by accident.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Caldrin

not paying £50 for a game that in the end has nothing really new to offer..

In that assessment I don't see how price is a factor... I wouldn't pay anything for a game I felt that way about.   I wouldn't even clutter up my hard drive with it .. if it was free... if that's how I felt.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

i think i'm gonna wait 2 3 month before deciding to buy or not.  not willing the repeat the Swtor mistake again.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I'm not sure what games OP has been playing the last 2 or 3 years. Games being priced at 59.99 is nothing new, the price increases have been coming for a while. I remember when it was big debate for the consoles when X360 and PS3 started charging 50 and 60 dollars for games.

This is pretty much the average pricing on high-end games. I'm not suprised by it, I think the OP just needs to do a little more research there.

For the OP the Anet website charges $80 (49.99 British Pounds) for the normal digital edition (that is a 33% difference with the US price). Which is not average priced at all.

/shrug... I paid £39 for the GF's standard version, which was completely in line with what I was expecting.

Has it occured to you that Anet charge more by agreement with their retail partners? The reasons to do it this way should be pretty obvious...

Well, we can guess what we want. But the OP just compared to other games he bought for full price. Thats the only thing he can really go on. And I agree that he should shop around, but still all this doesnt explain the huge price difference.

The fact that Anet allowed other retailers to sell the pre order for £39 should be the only explanation you require.

So can the US players also find that large of a price difference when buying in American retailers? Compared to what you say it would be $46.79 .

If not, then Anet is only overcharging nonUS players and it isnt about protecting EU retailers. Or they wouldve done the same for the US.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

So can the US players also find that large of a price difference when buying in American retailers? Compared to what you say it would be $46.79 .

If not, then Anet is only overcharging nonUS players and it isnt about protecting EU retailers. Or they wouldve done the same for the US.

I honestly do not care about their pricing in the US, or the way you are twisting and turning to make this look bad.

The price I paid, £39, was completely in line with my expectations. That is all that matters.

You are staring to look like a man with a mission to demonise ANet at all costs now tbh.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Here in Sweden it costs 500Kr, same as mostother new games... In fact CIV5 and a few others cost me 600Kr so I am happy enough.

And yes, it is $74 but games are more expensive here than in the US. You can still buy it straight from ANET for $60.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

€55 for a PC game.. hopefully this doesn''t become a new standard. Especially since it is digital so minimal cost for the publisher. I understand it doesn't have a subscription but it does have a cash shop and you still have to pay for expansions..

If I'm going to buy this game (I'll wait for player feedback and cash shop details) I will pick it up for €25 or so a few months down the road.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

Seems pretty cheap to me. 60 bucks for a 40 million dollar game.

lets see..

-20-50 million or so to make

-no subscription fee

anything digital they keep 80%, box sales they get maybe 25-50%

so well say they sell 1 million digital and 2 million boxes in the first year..

.. they instantly make maybe 20-50 million profit in the first year...not a bad haul

then they take a complete shot in the dark with a minescule $100,000 to hire me, based solely on my ideas for my wizard game, using there existing technology and staff to make the most interesting and immersive mmo ever made.  

add another 500 million from that.. then retirement.  Yes.. that will be excellent.

i may have gotten slightly ahead of myself....

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Kaneth

ANet isn't hyping anything, the hype has been created by the overwhelming positive comments from the press beta and pretty much any hands on experience folks have had. The game is $60 USD, which has become the standard price for any major release.

Secondly, if anyone has an issue with the price, well don't buy it. Wait until the price drops or get it on sale.

Seriously? All the little snide comments about how every other game is doing it wrong or ArenaNET has the best solution to those problems. How about how Buy to play is the best model out and nobody disagree's.

Sorry I am nowhere near as hyped for this game as most of you wide eyed fans. I remember this is the same ArenaNET that delivered a piss poor excuse for a mmorpg called a CORPG that you could not even jump in. I am still waiting for them to impress me.

You rage against anything and everything. I have a feeling you think the world is out to get you.

I honestly do not care about their pricing in the US, or the way you are twisting and turning to make this look bad.

The price I paid, £39, was completely in line with my expectations. That is all that matters.

You are staring to look like a man with a mission to demonise ANet at all costs now tbh.

No , I'm a fan of Arenanet the developer. But that doesnt mean that I can't be critical about other decisions they make. The price difference is not explained by your assumption. It just doesnt make sense that Anet does this to protect only the European retailers. Thats why I asked if the same is happening with the US retailers. I'm not twisting anything, I just used your logic.

The moment someone posted a valid observation about the pricing everyone jumped on him to tell him to stop talking nonsense while most of those posters didnt even get the point (totally missed that he was talking British Pounds) or came up with lame VAT excuses without even checking if that even makes sense. No matter how you look at it , the UK price for the DE version is very pricy. Especially compared to the US price and standard full prices in the UK for games.

I've been a fan of Arenanet from the start in GW1 and still am looking forward to play GW2. So I'm certainly going to buy and play the game. I just can't stand yes-sayers. The petty excuse lobby is getting ridiculous for this game. Any thread where someone voices their concern or is critical about the game gets drowned by posts by ppl who don't even seem to take the time to understand the OP's post in their hurry to tell the OP how ridiculous he sounds.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

This game isn't even that pricey, typical Xbox 360 games cost the same.  And Diablo is going to cost the same, Starcraft 2 even cost the same and they have no reason to charge 10 extra dollars either, they just do it for shits.  The console games say they charge 10 more dollars from the previous consoles because of the "HD" features.  PC games have always been 50 until Blizzard came along. 

This is an MMO that is free to play, a top of the line, future of gaming MMO.  And it is no more expensive than Thor God of Thunder was for 360 when it was released...need I say more?

Originally posted by slicknslim88

This game isn't even that pricey, typical Xbox 360 games cost the same.  And Diablo is going to cost the same, Starcraft 2 even cost the same and they have no reason to charge 10 extra dollars either, they just do it for shits.  The console games say they charge 10 more dollars from the previous consoles because of the "HD" features.  PC games have always been 50 until Blizzard came along. 

This is an MMO that is free to play, a top of the line, future of gaming MMO.  And it is no more expensive than Thor God of Thunder was for 360 when it was released...need I say more?

The OP never claimed that the game is pricy for ppl that pay in American dollars.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

The OP never claimed that the game is pricy for ppl that pay in American dollars.

So buy it at retailer for much cheaper? what's the problem?

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by crysent

I'm confused - granted im in NA the game cost me $59.00 for the SE and has no sub fee.  How is that ridiculous?  Does it cost more in EU?  Is that because of taxes or something?  as far as here goes 59.00$ has become the standard for just about any game.

it does but only if you buy it from Anet.. this is OLD news and I would be shocked if this guy didn't know this before hand. They have the option to get it for a normal price from the retailers. As for the reason, I didn't put it to memory as it doesn't affect me.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Hmmm it's about the average cost of a game here. I'd only say the CE is overpriced.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Some of the other cash shop games are free to download. So its not very cheap. At least people should wait and preorder after NDA is lifted.  Its always better to know what you are actually getting for your money. Without any real info and facts its difficult to determine if its worth the price or not.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Hurvart

Some of the other cash shop games are free to download. So its not very cheap. At least people should wait and preorder after NDA is lifted.  Its always better to know what you are actually getting for your money. Without any real info and facts its difficult to determine if its worth the price or not.

there is tons of info both leaked and not... the cash shop isn't pay to win JUST like the cash shop in GW1 isnt pay to win. It doesn't really affect game play much and if you really want some item then buy it with gems you buy in game.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Valua

The Digital Edition and the Digital Deluxe Edition are way over priced.

£49.99 and £64.99 Really? play.com has it at £39.99 i think

What a rip off. 

The Old Republics two editions were both cheaper, Tera is cheaper, Secret World is cheaper, any WoW expansion was cheaper.  Where the hell were u shopping collectors edition of swtor was well over £100

Why does Arenanet think they can charge this ammount? Because it's free to play (with a cash shop)? And I don't even get the retial box? Pathetic. 

Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and the new Assassins Creed were only £34.99.  RRP all over £40 at release console versions i think were over £50

I've never paid 50+ for a game in my life, and I never will, especially not for an MMO with a cash shop.

And a 3 day head start for those who pre-purchase it, 1 day for those who pre-order it. This seems like they are pretty worried about their game and want people to purchase it before release to me.

I had three days of headstart on The Old Republic to test it, and then cancel my order beacuse I didn't like the game, which I thought was very generous of Bioware. 

As you can probably tell I'm pissed off. I'll buy this game a few months after release when it's reduced to £20, which I can see happening fast with the current price of the game.

It's the average price publishers now charge for pc games, think it was done to bring them more inline with console prices. I guess they can sort of justify this since most pc games now seem to be poor console ports.

This discussion has been closed.