Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The price of this game is ridiculous

1101112131416»

Comments

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I'm happy with the cost, I like what Anet have done, they've tried to make something a little different from the norm and have succeeded, that's one good enough reason for me to support them, obviously loving the game play is the best reason :)

I've already got the five slots filled, I know which race and profession for each, so that's plenty enough to keep me busy and then there's going to be the extra time spent on my main who will probably be chasing all achievements in the game. I'm starting out with my long time guild, people who I enjoy playing with and never fail to have a laugh with, there's plenty enough reason for me to think that the cash investment is a bargain if I get as much out of it as I expect to.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

sucks when you dont swim with the rest of europe, and some day realize that it actually wasn't the smartest move because your shit is getting more and more expensive eh? :)

next time they ask you if you want the same prices as the rest of europe, you say YES!

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Thane

sucks when you dont swim with the rest of europe, and some day realize that it actually wasn't the smartest move because your shit is getting more and more expensive eh? :)

next time they ask you if you want the same prices as the rest of europe, you say YES!

This is actually a good point... blame your government ;)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• LyvinsLyvins Member Posts: 70

Google is you're best friend.

We all know that this game is CHEAP, after  30 days you already make a profit xD

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by korat102
    Originally posted by Blindchance

As you can see GW2 is not reallly without subscribtion as they claim. I got SWTOR for 29.99 ? 20 pounds on the top of it is basically a cost of  two month's subscribtion. 3 months of game play. It is longer then most people stayed with SWTOR for.

I think you're clutching at straws there. There is no recurring payment which is what a subscription is. It's a single, admittedly high, initial payment.

Personally I think the cost is fine, it takes a lot of time and effort to create and deploy these games. Not to mention ongoing maintenance and updates - none of which any of us will have to pay for, remember.

i think the point there was that after 3 months most people had already left image

but its a little misleading to think that the only charges incurred in GW2 is the box price, there will be further payments made, at least if you intend to stick with the game for any length of time. The game is a microtransaction type game after all. How much the game will cost long term remains to be seen. The only way to really compare would be to see how much the average player spends in the cash shop, over a year, and then compare the pricing, it is blatantly unrealistic to assume that the game will be playable over that period of time without further purchases.image

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Phry
    The only way to really compare would be to see how much the average player spends in the cash shop, over a year, and then compare the pricing, it is blatantly unrealistic to assume that the game will be playable over that period of time without further purchases.image

It's not needed to make any kind of purchase from the Cash Shop, in order to be competitive or enjoy the game, this is not a Pay 2 Win game. You can play the game for years and still pay only the initial price. I played GW1 for 4 years, after the last expansion I bought, before making a shop purchase (I got some nice-looking outfits) From what I've seen GW2 will be the same. Apart from paid expansions the rest will be optional (for good looks)

However, it is a well known fact (I read some articles about it, I might do some research and post them) that players are willing to give more money to games with microtransactions than games with subscriptions, both in Pay To Win and not P2W microtransaction games. Fortunately, GW2 is not P2W, now if someone wants to give some more money to the company in order to expand the game and show their appreciation (by wearing nice-looking outfits and getting minipets) they can do it.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

Yes, but the rest of Europe is swimming at full speed towards the nearest waterfall...

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Completely irrelevant to the biased pricing methods of ArenaNet. Every other new game around is the same price in the US, Euro and the UK. ArenaNet are just stupid and don't know how conversion rates work. Then when it gets pointed out they announce region locking to stop people buying the cheaper versions.

Also the Euro is a joke of a currency.

Originally posted by seridan
    The only way to really compare would be to see how much the average player spends in the cash shop, over a year, and then compare the pricing, it is blatantly unrealistic to assume that the game will be playable over that period of time without further purchases.image

It's not needed to make any kind of purchase from the Cash Shop, in order to be competitive or enjoy the game, this is not a Pay 2 Win game. You can play the game for years and still pay only the initial price. I played GW1 for 4 years, after the last expansion I bought, before making a shop purchase (I got some nice-looking outfits) From what I've seen GW2 will be the same. Apart from paid expansions the rest will be optional (for good looks)

However, it is a well known fact (I read some articles about it, I might do some research and post them) that players are willing to give more money to games with microtransactions than games with subscriptions, both in Pay To Win and not P2W microtransaction games. Fortunately, GW2 is not P2W, now if someone wants to give some more money to the company in order to expand the game and show their appreciation (by wearing nice-looking outfits and getting minipets) they can do it.

i don't think arenanet would be so stupid as to make the game pay to win, but, at the moment there is no real way of knowing that long term gameplay will be viable without further purchases, my point being that its only by taking the yearly 'average' of players spending, can we get some sort of idea of how the pricing compares to other p2p games, this isnt something that can be 'guessed at' ahead of time. Arenanet is a business after all, and the mechanics of the game do indicate that unlike GW1, which was not an MMO after all, will require more upkeep and services/support, as do P2P MMO's so how the game finances itself, must be in terms of the microtransactions, and may be why the box price is so high, but the box price alone would not allow the game to continue to operate long term, and generate revenue after all.image

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

but its a little misleading to think that the only charges incurred in GW2 is the box price, there will be further payments made, at least if you intend to stick with the game for any length of time. The game is a microtransaction type game after all. How much the game will cost long term remains to be seen. The only way to really compare would be to see how much the average player spends in the cash shop, over a year, and then compare the pricing, it is blatantly unrealistic to assume that the game will be playable over that period of time without further purchases.image

The only numbers you should be considering as 'a must' cost is the price of the box. The rest is personal choice. For sub game 'a must' would be the cost of the game (box or digital) + the monthly sub. For GW2 the 'must' is only the game. Many wil spend money on the cash shops but there is no need to ever use it if you don't want to (assuming things stay they way they have been in the betas).

Many folks will never touch the in-game store. I for one was shocked when I saw how many minis were for sale (I wouldn't ever buy them, just curious as to what they were selling). Had to have been 40+ minis alone the 1st time I checked. Then I checked back later and it was a 'random mini 3 pack'. Ah well, to each their own.

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92

But there is no monthly fees or anything so.

/LOCK, DESTROY, BANISH THIS THREAD

Originally posted by Digna

The only numbers you should be considering as 'a must' cost is the price of the box. The rest is personal choice. For sub game 'a must' would be the cost of the game (box or digital) + the monthly sub. For GW2 the 'must' is only the game. Many wil spend money on the cash shops but there is no need to ever use it if you don't want to (assuming things stay they way they have been in the betas).

Many folks will never touch the in-game store. I for one was shocked when I saw how many minis were for sale (I wouldn't ever buy them, just curious as to what they were selling). Had to have been 40+ minis alone the 1st time I checked. Then I checked back later and it was a 'random mini 3 pack'. Ah well, to each their own.

whether the game really is playable long term without purchases of some kind really does remain to be seen, its too easy to guess one way or the other, which is why my own contention is that its only by taking the average of players 'yearly' spend to get some kind of figure. Also i seriously doubt that there won't be something in the cash shop that players must have in order to pass some kind of milestone in game. Arenanet will make money out of this somehow, and box price alone will not be enough.image

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Originally posted by Loke666

too bad but the world would suck if we all loved the same things.

Nonsense, if you all loved the same things as I do it would only suck for the rest of you, me I'd be happy in my group centric, time sink heavy, PVP oriented, and mistake-punishing virtual world MMORPG's. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

at the end of the year, gaming sites and magazines will unanimously award Guild Wars 2 with Best Value for an MMO

VALUE is more than just the price. Value for your money, value for your time, value for enjoyment, the value devs give to their community and to their game.

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

whether the game really is playable long term without purchases of some kind really does remain to be seen, its too easy to guess one way or the other, which is why my own contention is that its only by taking the average of players 'yearly' spend to get some kind of figure. Also i seriously doubt that there won't be something in the cash shop that players must have in order to pass some kind of milestone in game. Arenanet will make money out of this somehow, and box price alone will not be enough.image

I would take a guess that this number will be higher than what the average player will pay in a subscription MMO. This is because some will spend more, others will spend less but the average will be high. The difference is that people won't have to pay to pass any "milestone", except for expansions, and I hope they make them standalone like in Guild Wars 1 (I doubt it though) so even they aren't "essential" to play. They've made it quite clear that this game will require no extra money to enjoy. It will be a one-time purchase for many players.

However I can understand why there will be people that will spend tons of money on the cash shop for vanity items, and increase the "average" considerably, it is a common fact in games with Cash Shops. If you ask any long-term "hardcore" player of one, there is a chance that he had paid more money than somone paying a subscription... The difference is you have a choice, and the "no need to play in order for my money to feel like a good investment". What you buy from the Cash Shop will instantly translate into a bonus, but a subscription will not, how many times have we (anyone really) renewed a subscription believing there would be a "nerf"/"buff"/bug-fix or anything you want from a game and instead we got nothing we liked?

But that has nothing to do with how expensive the game really is. You buy vanity items for yourself, they aren't essential in any way, so the price you have to pay to PROPERLY ENJOY the game is the box price. Nothing more, nothing less.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Mephster
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Mephster

Really not that much difference than what every other developer is charging for their games.

£39 and no sub...?

Seems like a better the normal price point for a AAA MMO to me tbh.

I don't get the the drama wailing, but then I expect some posters are just earning a living.

They expect everything to be free. The original Guild Wars spoiled everyone.

I'm with you guys

The troll drama that a lot of people are throwing up on this site about this game, about every tiny thing as if it's the end of the universe, is pathetic.

I am from the U.K and I paid a lot less then what the OP is wailing and gnashing about. I haven't got any issue that the game is more expensive from one place and cheaper from another, not when I have the full and free choice of where I go.

He/ she needs to get a grip. It embarrasses me that they are from the same country as me to be honest.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

lets say someone plays the game 15 hours a week (that's a pretty in-the-middle number for playing an MMO i think?  2.5 hours a day 6 times a week)

they play the game for three months, again a pretty conservative number considering paople buy these games expecting to play month after month.

sooooo they play 15 a week X 4 weeks a month X 3 months.  180 hours.  and that's very conservative of the amount of time someone woujld play an MMO.

they pay 50 for the privelage of doing this.  they are, thanks to my calculator, paying 0.28 an hour to play that game.  that sounds like a pretty damn good bargain to me.  and the more they play the better the bargain it becomes.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

. Also i seriously doubt that there won't be something in the cash shop that players must have in order to pass some kind of milestone in game. Arenanet will make money out of this somehow, and box price alone will not be enough.image

That would make the game B2Win or worse B2Play (I am not counting expansions...we already know that when those come out you'll need to buy) and I don't think that will be the case. No championing the game (though I do like it) but as with most cash shop game (imo) they expect 1 million people to play (Just making up numbers here for purposes of  example) and they know from market trends in the industry that 50%+ will buy SOMETHING from the cash shop, which would be another % factored in.

Why do you think they wanted to get folks to add their credit card info in this past weekend for the free 2K gems? Because even if they didn't use it, they now have an idea in mind. 500K people (accounts) logged in and if only 30% used the cash shop it tells them 1 thing. If however, 80% used it...well, well....now they are cooking! To say nothing about the fact that that once the CC info is in, it's EASY to make a purchase...so easy that even die-hards like myself might be tempted to buy 'for a couple bucks' to get XYZ and keep on gaming.

They are doing this right and have some real numbers to work with now.

I didn't bother with the 2K free gems or enter my CC info though I used 400 of the free 500 to buy another bag slot.

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Interestingly, if you had gotten the 2k gems in BWE1, you got 3.5k gems in BWE2. It was awesome.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Valua

Edit - (for the people who didn't read it all but stil comment making me out like a troll:)

1.) My post is about the British digital versions of the game, which are currently £60 (which is close to £80 dollars) very overpriced. The average game costs 30-40 pounds, not 60 here.

2.) Yes, I can shop around and get it cheaper. But my post is about ArenaNet's arrogance of having the game at this price on their website, irrelevent of whether I can shop around and get it cheaper.

3.) Also you only get a 3 day headstart if you buy it directly from ArenaNet, if you Pre-Order is anywhere else you only get a 1 day headstart. Pathetic.

so much fail even on the edit ..!

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Average AAA  mmorg  year 1 £150. GW2  ..£65

Average AAA  mmorg after 5 years £650ish. GW2..£65

Average AAA  mmorg after 7 years  £850ish. GW2........£65

Spot ridiculous.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

50$ for a free to play MMO, that provides more than basically every P2P mmo out there.....yes, it is ridiculous!

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

50$ for a free to play MMO, that provides more than basically every P2P mmo out there.....yes, it is ridiculous!

Hey, pipe down.  No need to give Anet any ideas.

This discussion has been closed.