Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The price of this game is ridiculous

Comments

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by fivoroth

Originally posted by dontadow

Originally posted by angrymime

I agree that an mmo that's supposed to be groundbreaking should not be charging $59.99 USD for a game.  It should also be groundbreaking in it's pricing and charge us $60 USD flat.  Yeah, refuse to play psychological games and charge us that extra penny.  I'd gladly pay it. A penny extra for no monthly sub fees.  Ever.  Or give us some item shop credit for that penny.

I think Americans should stop posting in this thread because the only thing you guys are doing is piss people off. We got it that the game doesn't cost more in your country. We really did. However, the OP is posting for the pricing of the game in the UK. It costs 49.99 here which is 80 dollars for the normal edition. That's 20 dollars extra. 

And don't give me that crap that games cost more here. Games usually cost exactly the same they do in the US sometimes they are actually much cheaper. However, never has a game charged people 50 FIFTY pounds!

I just don't think people understand global economy. 

Here's the deal, the game is made in America.  Whatever higher costs are asserted is the costs it takes to get it to the other country.  

I am a bitg time euro board gamers.  All the time, there are games released in Germany and France that cost 30 dollars American if I was over there. But when I try to buy them from the company directly, the MRSP is always remarkably higher for the euro version.  This is because the company is a game company, and their primary business is not distributing, so those costs are factored into the price.   It's global economics. I have paid 80 to 100 bucks for a 30 dollar game. 

Every country is different. Every country has different standards, different shipping policies, different tarriffs, different taxes.  I know some of you want to change the world, but it aint happening with this game. 

Thus is the price of a global economy.  

So how did every single other American company managed to give us their games at normal prices. And in the UK you can't even buy it from a retailer for a cheaper price. Retailers have only now started offering us preorders at 49.99. Yet the game costs 49.99 euros or less in all other EU countries which is about 63 dollars.

EDIT: Oops, turns out you can buy the game for 39.99 and get beta access which is about 60 dollars...

How many American companies sell their games directly from "them" for the first time?   The cost margin for a large company compared to a small company like anet/nc soft is staggering.  

Most games are purchases via distribution netowrks, which have elaborate systems to buy large quanities and recover their costs from volume.  When you ship directly as a company, you don't have that luxuary unless you have been doing it for a while.  

The same thing people are saying here is the same thing I said about European board games before older collectors broke it down for me. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I agree that an mmo that's supposed to be groundbreaking should not be charging $59.99 USD for a game.  It should also be groundbreaking in it's pricing and charge us $60 USD flat.  Yeah, refuse to play psychological games and charge us that extra penny.  I'd gladly pay it. A penny extra for no monthly sub fees.  Ever.  Or give us some item shop credit for that penny.

I think Americans should stop posting in this thread because the only thing you guys are doing is piss people off. We got it that the game doesn't cost more in your country. We really did. However, the OP is posting for the pricing of the game in the UK. It costs 49.99 here which is 80 dollars for the normal edition. That's 20 dollars extra. 

And don't give me that crap that games cost more here. Games usually cost exactly the same they do in the US sometimes they are actually much cheaper. However, never has a game charged people 50 FIFTY pounds!

I just don't think people understand global economy. 

Here's the deal, the game is made in America.  Whatever higher costs are asserted is the costs it takes to get it to the other country.  

I am a bitg time euro board gamers.  All the time, there are games released in Germany and France that cost 30 dollars American if I was over there. But when I try to buy them from the company directly, the MRSP is always remarkably higher for the euro version.  This is because the company is a game company, and their primary business is not distributing, so those costs are factored into the price.   It's global economics. I have paid 80 to 100 bucks for a 30 dollar game. 

Every country is different. Every country has different standards, different shipping policies, different tarriffs, different taxes.  I know some of you want to change the world, but it aint happening with this game. 

Thus is the price of a global economy.  

So how did every single other American company managed to give us their games at normal prices. And in the UK you can't even buy it from a retailer for a cheaper price. Retailers have only now started offering us preorders at 49.99. Yet the game costs 49.99 euros or less in all other EU countries which is about 63 dollars.

EDIT: Oops, turns out you can buy the game for 39.99 and get beta access which is about 60 dollars...

How many American companies sell their games directly from "them" for the first time?   The cost margin for a large company compared to a small company like anet/nc soft is staggering.  

Most games are purchases via distribution netowrks, which have elaborate systems to buy large quanities and recover their costs from volume.  When you ship directly as a company, you don't have that luxuary unless you have been doing it for a while.  

The same thing people are saying here is the same thing I said about European board games before older collectors broke it down for me. 

ArenaNet sold the original game directly and it was fairly priced. They are also not shipping anything. They only have bandwidth costs associated with it and probably some legal/regulatory stuff.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Has anyone compared minimum wage yet?

I remember complaints on how games in Aus were 100$, but nobody took into account they make around 20$ an hour. Even food there reflects the average income... tourism must be incredibly slow.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

fivoroth: Either buy the game or don't its really not that hard. Do you get this worked up over real issues like poverty and world hunger?

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

not to forget they take money for beta acces and this was +20€ on amazon (70% total standart edition + beta access)

what a joke lol the game bored me after 2 BWEs already. glad i cancelled it.

now flame away fanboys cause i know u will.and u know it too.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by Thralia

not to forget they take money for beta acces and this was +20€ on amazon (70% total standart edition + beta access)

Not a fanboy just a guy that enjoys what has played so far and I found this game too cheap for so much content I'd gladly pay a sub for this game, but hey, better for me ;)

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220

Wow did this thread really need to be brought back from its 2 month Coma for well no reason at all?  Why would you post on a post that hasn't been used for 2 months to so say something that has been said in the post over and over again for over 30 pages of replies.

• jackwu10jackwu10 Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by xKingdomx

Dear fellow European gamers,

When your

• gaming pricing is more expensive than Australia's pricing for games
    • have to pay for ridiculous monthly download quota
    • play with constant lag due to physical distance
    Come back and tell us

Sincerely,
    Australians gamers

ps: the smart portion of us have resorted to buy from online stores and possibly even online CD key stores, then guess what, that eats into our precious download quota.

south africa says hi :D

- we falls under eu region, and no reason the third world like us need to pay so much for any game.

- no one beats us when it comes to internet serivce

- every mmo we need to connect to eu, and play gams with laggy connection. or pay extra for vpn to improve ms..

conclusion - we want a african server and game price in our own rate in official site. (dream on)

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159

I can't speak to prices in the UK, but in the states I paid exactly as much as I would have paid for SWtoR (If I'd wanted to play it).  I know Skyrim is now lower than the GW2 DE price, but it was at the same price for quite a while after launch.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Valua

The Digital Edition and the Digital Deluxe Edition are way over priced.

£49.99 and £64.99 Really?

What a rip off. 

The Old Republics two editions were both cheaper, Tera is cheaper, Secret World is cheaper, any WoW expansion was cheaper.

Why does Arenanet think they can charge this ammount? Because it's free to play (with a cash shop)? And I don't even get the retial box? Pathetic. 

Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and the new Assassins Creed were only £34.99.

I've never paid 50+ for a game in my life, and I never will, especially not for an MMO with a cash shop.

And a 3 day head start for those who pre-purchase it, 1 day for those who pre-order it. This seems like they are pretty worried about their game and want people to purchase it before release to me.

I had three days of headstart on The Old Republic to test it, and then cancel my order beacuse I didn't like the game, which I thought was very generous of Bioware. 

As you can probably tell I'm pissed off. I'll buy this game a few months after release when it's reduced to £20, which I can see happening fast with the current price of the game.

Edit - (for the people who didn't read it all but stil comment making me out like a troll:)

1.) My post is about the British digital versions of the game, which are currently £60 (which is close to £80 dollars) very overpriced. The average game costs 30-40 pounds, not 60 here.

2.) Yes, I can shop around and get it cheaper. But my post is about ArenaNet's arrogance of having the game at this price on their website, irrelevent of whether I can shop around and get it cheaper.

3.) Also you only get a 3 day headstart if you buy it directly from ArenaNet, if you Pre-Order is anywhere else you only get a 1 day headstart. Pathetic.

I admit I didn't read the replies of the others because I don't have much time at the moment since I'm at work.

However, if they marked you as a troll then only because of the following:

- all the mmo games you mentioned above have a monthly fee, GW2 has none!

Yet you still comparing them ignoring this very fact.

- skyrim and assasins creed are mainly offline games with less content than GW2 and they have DLCs that cost you more piece for piece making the price higher at the end without adding real additional content (like downloading additional characters which have only other looks and such) until a expansion that cost quite a few bucks comes out again.

Not to mention that the assasin creed games costs much more here in germany than any GW game ever did.

AC games are going for 69,99€ at start and for 59,99€ after a while (unless you getting them as platinum for 19,99 or 29,99 a year after).

The GW2 digital edition costs around that much (I think it was 64,99$ ? )only because you are getting additional goodies and not because of the 3 days headstart.

1) I don't know if its 60 pounds for you but if it is then probably only because of the extra goodies.

2) Yes you indeed can and you should. I prepurchased mine from the german amazon and have only one digital item and the 3 days headstart for 49€

3) what you are saying shows how missinformed you are as also the fact that you don't bother to inform yourself at all.

Many people prepurchased from other retailers for cheaper prices with less digital content than the ANet digital deluxe edition has and still got the 3 days headstart together with one digital item.

The amount of copies was limited so some might have run out till now but I would still reccomend anyone that is interested to buy now to check around if a retailer (online or offline) has some copies left.

Otherwise you could still wait till the release and buy after.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

I'm not sure it's ANet's fault, because here in France the game wasn't more expensive than any average game (digital edition, on ANet's site itself).

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Valua

The Old Republics two editions were both cheaper, Tera is cheaper, Secret World is cheaper, any WoW expansion was cheaper.

Tell me... how much did you spend total on SW:TOR, INCLUDING THE MONTHLY FEES you paid to be able to play? And on Tera, or WoW?

For reference, one year of WoW or SW:TOR costs over 100 euros, even if you take 12 month deals...

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

to OP i got the full  game for 60$ and that's not much at all it's the same price for Diablo III .

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Thralia

Here (Sweden) my gamestore took the same price for both, 500KR (45 Euro) and it is the same price I usually pay for any game that is new. Sorry you got screwed over but Amazon sucks, something you can find plenty of threads here about.

As long as you play GW2 6 weeks or more it will be cheaper than most MMOs, so I don´t really agree that it is expensive.

And no, I wont flame you because you didn´t like the game, too bad but the world would suck if we all loved the same things.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Its silly over priced if you buy from them direct in the UK.. i mean £50 for the standard version is just stupid..

But you can pick it up cheaper from online retailers..

The point is other countries buying direct is about the same price as an average game.. so why in the UK is it £20 more expensive than your average game to buy direct.. i think thats what people are complaining about..

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Loke666

...the world would suck if we all loved the same things.

The horror...

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252

They game is really cheap, since you don't pay fees.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by GTwander

The horror...

I just see the entire world listening to Justin Bieber while drinking Pepsi...

Come on, life would be boring and we would have very little to discuss here, everyone would just say "I agree" to every post. 

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

A favourite tactic, for years now, has been to charge people in the EU the same numeric amount as those in the US. So they just charge, for the sake of argument, a flat 49.99 for something (meaning $49.99 in the US and £49.99 in the UK). Due to exchange rates, etc. that means the people in the EU are actually paying substantially more than those in the US for the same product. It's nothing new. Then when they add various taxes on top of already inflated price it's easy to see where the complaints come from...

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

As you can see GW2 is not reallly without subscribtion as they claim. I got SWTOR for 29.99 ? 20 pounds on the top of it is basically a cost of  two month's subscribtion. 3 months of game play. It is longer then most people stayed with SWTOR for.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

The horror...

Come on, life would be boring and we would have very little to discuss here, everyone would just say "I agree" to every post. 

I agree....

Well that was just to easy :( no fun at all. I see your point. About the game being to expensive. I guess it depends whatever you liked it or not. I payed 55 euro's and that was money well spend. The time I already spend on the game means it's already cheaper then going to the movies. 

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by Blindchance

As you can see GW2 is not reallly without subscribtion as they claim. I got SWTOR for 29.99 ? 20 pounds on the top of it is basically a cost of  two month's subscribtion. 3 months of game play. It is longer then most people stayed with SWTOR for.

I think you're clutching at straws there. There is no recurring payment which is what a subscription is. It's a single, admittedly high, initial payment.

Personally I think the cost is fine, it takes a lot of time and effort to create and deploy these games. Not to mention ongoing maintenance and updates - none of which any of us will have to pay for, remember.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Blindchance

Well the website of SWOTR has the price for me from 54,99 to 39,99 meaning the normal price (I guess what we payed when it got release) was 54,99 with supprisingly is the same as GW2.  Same with the DDE it from 74,99 to 49,99 also the same as GW2 is offerd for now.

Beside that without a CC I was forced to pay for a month of gametime with SWTOR. So ye....it was more expensive especially considering I already played more GW2 then SWTOR.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

The horror...

I agree.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by xKingdomx

Dear fellow European gamers,

When your

• gaming pricing is more expensive than Australia's pricing for games
    • have to pay for ridiculous monthly download quota
    • play with constant lag due to physical distance
    Come back and tell us

Sincerely,
    Australians gamers

ps: the smart portion of us have resorted to buy from online stores and possibly even online CD key stores, then guess what, that eats into our precious download quota.

As an Australian living in the UK, I think you should be happy that you can actually buy the game from America in Australia.

ArenaNet decided to region lock Europe from buying the US version. Any European player who purchased the US version will be unable to play it. Its a dick move because they knew they were ripping off Europeans and thought it was easier to screw them over than to fix the price.

Also, everyone saying that taxes etc are the reason for the higher price are just wrong. Why do you think all other brand new games are 30-40 pounds which is an exact conversion of the US price? Because you are wrong, thats why.

This discussion has been closed.