Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to build a new pc

13»

Comments

• robgyorgyrobgyorgy Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by Aori

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593 cheaper.. unless for some reason you need a display port. I'm not a fan of Nvidia so i dont know much about them to make an informed judgement.

urs is 10$ more and i dont see any difference besides the display port

so is it a good build then?

btw where do u get the promo codes from?i dont see em

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

Originally posted by robgyorgy

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by Quizzical

i want that corsair 500r case(white)

Nice case, sure.  But look what it costs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009

That adds $100 to the price tag as compared to the Rosewill Challenger that I linked.  For that matter, it's even more expensive than the full tower case I linked in the first build.

so if i go to a 1100-1300 budget. what could i get to make it decently better?(as off from the very first build u gave me) is the corsair a good case for the buck?will it be worth the investment?

The case is good if your PC is always in plain sight and you want it to match decor, otherwise its a little more spacey, little easier to work with but not enough to justify the costs. As for your price it would all invest to a GPU which IMO would be the wisest choice.

i do care a LITTLE for how the case looks but what attracted me to it was the removable dust filters(which i wanna thicken btw for extra dust catching as my appartment oddly gathers dust around alot)

you dont want to thicken dust filters. they impede airflow enough as it is. ideally you should run without dust filters and just clean out dust build up every now and then. corsair 500r is pretty good with airflow even with dust filters. as your fans age and start getting noisy you might wanna replace them with aftermarket ones. i recomment <900RPM scythe gentle typhoons.

there isnt any point getting a full tower case unless you are water cooling which is pretty much pointless as newer processors dont really get hot enough to warrant watercooling.

i want that corsair 500r case(white)

Nice case, sure.  But look what it costs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009

That adds $100 to the price tag as compared to the Rosewill Challenger that I linked.  For that matter, it's even more expensive than the full tower case I linked in the first build.

so if i go to a 1100-1300 budget. what could i get to make it decently better?(as off from the very first build u gave me) is the corsair a good case for the buck?will it be worth the investment?

the only reason anyone sets a hard limit when budgeting is if they can only spend that much money. if you can afford to spend $100-300 extra and the upgrade is worth it there is no reason not to go for it.

heres what i reckon you should get

case: corsair 500r or antec p280- $125

psu: corsair ax650- $150

cpu: i5 2500k- $220

gpu: hd7850 ~$250

mobo: asrock extreme 3 gen3  - $120 

ram: g skill ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz or something similar - $42

hdd : doesnt really matter since you have a SSD, western digital green or spin point f3 will be fine ~$80

ssd: OCZ vertex 4 128gb $180

optical drive: any - $20

windows: $100

$1287 all up

a bit pricey but you are getting nice components that will last and perform really well.

the hd 7850 will run very cool and quiet and you will be able to play max out bf3 at fairly high settings.  

the 6870 ($180) is better than the 7770 ($150). however the 7770 is quieter and uses less power which means less heat. i would still go with the 6870.

the rosewill power supply that quizzical mentioned seems decent according to the review but its just one review and i think its a fairly recent PSU (HARDOCP is probably the best site for PSU reviews). corsair/seasonic PSUs have been around for ages and have a proven track record. the rosewill is a viable option and who knows, it might be the next PSU to join the corsair/seasonic league. also ax-650 and hx-650 and x660 are all modular (helps with cable management/clutter)

PLEASE NOTE:

unless you really need a new PC now i suggest waiting for intels ivy bridge and/or nvidias 600 series

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

so is it a good build then?

btw where do u get the promo codes from?i dont see em

Yeah, it looks good.

I'd switch the video card as Aori said.

Near the top of the page, to the right of the card picture, it says the product name:

EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Right below that, in a sort of olive green, it says:

$20 off w/ promo code EVGA45, ends 4/11

So when you check out to pay for the parts, you enter the promo code EVGA45 and it will take $20 off of your price tag.  It's similar for some other parts.  Some combo deals have a promo code on one item, so you'll have to click the links to the pages of the original items in order to find the promo codes.

Originally posted by bishbosh

hdd : doesnt really matter since you have a SSD, western digital green or spin point f3 will be fine ~$80

the rosewill power supply that quizzical mentioned seems decent according to the review but its just one review and i think its a fairly recent PSU (HARDOCP is probably the best site for PSU reviews). corsair/seasonic PSUs have been around for ages and have a proven track record. the rosewill is a viable option and who knows, it might be the next PSU to join the corsair/seasonic league. also ax-650 and hx-650 and x660 are all modular (helps with cable management/clutter)

If you prefer Hard OCP over Jonny Guru, then have a look at what Hard OCP said about the same platform:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/13/nzxt_hale90_750w_power_supply_review/1

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/06/23/kingwin_lazer_gold_1000w_power_supply_review/1

Same internals, different packaging.  They gave both a silver award.

Is the Corsair AX650 better than the Rosewill Capstone 650 W.  Yes, a little.  It's also $90 more for the same wattage once you lose the combo deal.  What do you get for that $90?  Modularity, ripple suppression that is excellent rather than merely pretty good, and likely a little bit better soldering.  For a price difference of $20, I could perhaps understand that.  But $90?

-----

The Antec P280 is optimized for quiet operation, not airflow.  The airflow is decent enough, but there's no point in getting that case unless you really want to keep the computer quieter.

The AsRock Extreme3 motherboard that is LGA 1155 is $130 on New Egg right now, not $120.  That makes it more expensive than the GA-Z68XP-UD3 if the promo code works with the combo deal, and only $5 cheaper if it doesn't.  Even if it's the latter, I'd still be willing to pay $5 more to get a Gigabyte -UD3 model rather than an AsRock Extreme3. 

The memory you list costs more than you think it does.

So does the hard drive, unless you're getting something very small.

As does the video card.  Regardless, the 7850 was one of the ones I listed, and the original poster wanted a GeForce GTX 570 instead.  I wouldn't argue against it if he picked the 7850, but I'm not going to argue against a GTX 570, either.  (And there are a lot of cards that I would argue against.)  Yes, it will burn a lot more power, but in a desktop, you can get plenty of airflow to handle that.

I'd avoid brand new SSD controllers when they first launch, as SSDs tend to have firmware issues at launch.  Better to get something that has been on the market for a while, so that the firmware issues are known to be cleared up.

Thanks for all the help. I got the build i posted with aoris video card
    After savings before rebates it came out at 1150$
    Im happy with the build ty so much

If you prefer Hard OCP over Jonny Guru, then have a look at what Hard OCP said about the same platform:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/13/nzxt_hale90_750w_power_supply_review/1

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/06/23/kingwin_lazer_gold_1000w_power_supply_review/1

Same internals, different packaging.  They gave both a silver award.

Is the Corsair AX650 better than the Rosewill Capstone 650 W.  Yes, a little.  It's also $90 more for the same wattage once you lose the combo deal.  What do you get for that $90?  Modularity, ripple suppression that is excellent rather than merely pretty good, and likely a little bit better soldering.  For a price difference of $20, I could perhaps understand that.  But $90?

-----

The Antec P280 is optimized for quiet operation, not airflow.  The airflow is decent enough, but there's no point in getting that case unless you really want to keep the computer quieter.

The AsRock Extreme3 motherboard that is LGA 1155 is $130 on New Egg right now, not $120.  That makes it more expensive than the GA-Z68XP-UD3 if the promo code works with the combo deal, and only $5 cheaper if it doesn't.  Even if it's the latter, I'd still be willing to pay $5 more to get a Gigabyte -UD3 model rather than an AsRock Extreme3. 

The memory you list costs more than you think it does.

So does the hard drive, unless you're getting something very small.

As does the video card.  Regardless, the 7850 was one of the ones I listed, and the original poster wanted a GeForce GTX 570 instead.  I wouldn't argue against it if he picked the 7850, but I'm not going to argue against a GTX 570, either.  (And there are a lot of cards that I would argue against.)  Yes, it will burn a lot more power, but in a desktop, you can get plenty of airflow to handle that.

I'd avoid brand new SSD controllers when they first launch, as SSDs tend to have firmware issues at launch.  Better to get something that has been on the market for a while, so that the firmware issues are known to be cleared up.

i checked all the prices on newegg so they are correct.

asrock exteme3 has a better bios/software than gigagytes bloatware. its also one of the most feature packed budget mobos. more power phases than the gigabyte meaning better voltage regulation= higher overclocks/stability) im not sure about durability, reliabilty as gigabyte offer longer warranty.

i dont know why OP got the gtx 570 when it is only slightyl better than the hd 7850 but eats heaps more power, has VRM issues (VRMS melt) and produced more heat while being $50 more expensive

i got a tx750 with my first build and im regretting it now. non modular is pain in the arse and it is not as effecient as the seasonic x660 ot corsair ax650. PSU will stay with you for 10 years if you buy a good one. thats why i think its best to buy a good one if you have the money.

i checked all the prices on newegg so they are correct.

asrock exteme3 has a better bios/software than gigagytes bloatware. its also one of the most feature packed budget mobos. more power phases than the gigabyte meaning better voltage regulation= higher overclocks/stability) im not sure about durability, reliabilty as gigabyte offer longer warranty.

i dont know why OP got the gtx 570 when it is only slightyl better than the hd 7850 but eats heaps more power, has VRM issues (VRMS melt) and produced more heat while being $50 more expensive

i got a tx750 with my first build and im regretting it now. non modular is pain in the arse and it is not as effecient as the seasonic x660 ot corsair ax650. PSU will stay with you for 10 years if you buy a good one. thats why i think its best to buy a good one if you have the money.

Shipping costs are real costs, too.  $120 plus $10 shipping adds up to $130, not $120.  If one product is $120 plus $10 shipping and another is $125 with free shipping, then the latter is cheaper.

Not all power phases are the same.  More power phases does tend to mean that it can deliver more power.  But this is only useful up to a point, and seven power phases (I'm guessing a 5+2 arrangement, but Gigabyte isn't saying) should be enough to allow for quite an overclock.

The price gap between a GeForce GTX 570 and a Radeon HD 7850 when I linked the cards was $32 before rebate or $22 after.  That's a lot less than $50.  It looks like New Egg has cut prices on two 7850s today, which expands that by $10, but it's still a gap of less than $50.  Yes, reference GTX 570s get into trouble if you overclock them, but at stock speeds, it shoudl be fine.

If the Seasonic X-660 was on the market when you made your purchase, then the Corsair TX750 was rather old by then.  Regardless, the Rosewill Capstone 650 W is a lot better than the Corsair TX750.  So it's not like the original poster got some aging platform that should be discontinued if it isn't already.

If you go by Jonny Guru's testing (in order to get an apples to apples comparison), the Rosewill Capstone actually beats the Corsair AX series slightly in energy efficiency.  Still, it's close enough that if you wanted to call it a tie, I wouldn't be inclined to disagree.  There is some variance from one unit to the next, after all.