Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weird issue with newly built computer

Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I just built a computer for a buddy and have a weird issue.

It is an Intel 2700K with a raid 5 configuration as well as a SSD. Windows 7 as OS.

The raid have 4 1 TB drives and is working but for some reason does 750 gig stay out of the partition and I can´t create a new partition on it either. The 2 TBs I can use works excellent.

Anyone got an idea of what the problem is or how I get the last part into a partion?

I done plenty of raiding before (with slightly smaller disks) and everyone is set up the right way.

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Might be a raid controller issue (either driver or firmware), or a firmware issue on the drives. Also make sure each of the drives is working properly.

You should only have about 3T available on the array, using 4x1T drives.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Ridelynn

Might be a raid controller issue (either driver or firmware), or a firmware issue on the drives. Also make sure each of the drives is working properly.

You should only have about 3T available on the array, using 4x1T drives.

Each of the drives are working as they should. I have 2 tb I can use right now and those 750 gig that are greyed out. The size is correct of course, one drive is parity and the file system uses the last 250 gigs.

I don´t think it is the driver either, but I am not 100% sure of it. It works great before windows start in the raid setup and I can see it in the diskmanager, but the partition was splitted in 2 and the smaller one have all options greyed out.

I never heard of any limit to raid drives in windows but I guess that is another possibility as well...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Problem solved, changed from mbr to gpt, fixed the issue. It seems like w7 only support 2 gigs drives in mbr.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Ah good catch