Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre Purchase creating unrealistic reviews?

2»

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I don't remember forcing myself to like a game because I already spent money on it. If anything I'm even more pissed that it didn't live up to expectation. I doubt I'm unique.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

No I dont think so. If I don't like the game I would say so. In fact, I would be more likely to post an angry review about something I have paid for that is rubbish just to warn other players from doing the same.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I think that the pre-order will cause people to look at it more critical. As the weekend beta events move along and the novelty fades, people will start to notice the little (or big) flaws in the game. Which, make no mistake, it will have. Especially in beta.

When you combine the sense of entitlement that a lot of gamers have these days and the fact that they paid for the pre-purchase, I can already imagine the posts of sheer ourtrage spreading across the internet, should the game not live up to the hype. The resulting hate and the tears will permeate into the deepest bowels of the internet where they will swirl uncontrollably, crashing into each other with incredible force--combining and recombining, changing their very nature, their DNA, if you will. Until one day, when we least expect it, it will erupt like a geyser, destroying everything in it's path and sweeping away fanbois and trolls alike. No one will be safe from the teary-hate geyser!

It will be glorious...

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by heartless

I think that the pre-order will cause people to look at it more critical. As the weekend beta events move along and the novelty fades, people will start to notice the little (or big) flaws in the game. Which, make no mistake, it will have. Especially in beta.

When you combine the sense of entitlement that a lot of gamers have these days and the fact that they paid for the pre-purchase, I can already imagine the posts of sheer ourtrage spreading across the internet, should the game not live up to the hype. The resulting hate and the tears will permeate into the deepest bowels of the internet where they will swirl uncontrollably, crashing into each other with incredible force--combining and recombining, changing their very nature, their DNA, if you will. Until one day, when we least expect it, it will erupt like a geyser, destroying everything in it's path and sweeping away fanbois and trolls alike. No one will be safe from the teary-hate geyser!

It will be glorious...

For some reason I pictured Russle Brand saying this in character as Aldous Snow, and I had to giggle uncontrollably.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by heartless

It will be glorious...

Pure win. 

Teary-hate geyser!

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

Yes!  Unrealistic reviews aplenty.  Not only that, but I have a strong suspicion, that there's more to the eye here.  Something, sinister.  So sinister in fact, that I am on the phone right now with Ralph Nader.  He's suggesting a conference call with Rosie O'donnel, Roseanne Barr, Axyl Rose, and any other nut with rose in there name.  I smell a rat, and I didn't just fart.  So, me and my buds, we will get to the bottom of this cabal, and how.

• HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

What the hell is this thread even about now.

Yes I played SWTOR.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by GWFandaddy

Yes!  Unrealistic reviews aplenty.  Not only that, but I have a strong suspicion, that there's more to the eye here.  Something, sinister.  So sinister in fact, that I am on the phone right now with Ralph Nader.  He's suggesting a conference call with Rosie O'donnel, Roseanne Barr, Axyl Rose, and any other nut with rose in there name.  I smell a rat, and I didn't just fart.  So, me and my buds, we will get to the bottom of this cabal, and how.

Hey, you keep Rosie out of this! He's a good man.

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

Originally posted by Naral

First of all, let me say I am a fan of this game. I am looking forward to it, and excited to play it.

For a combination of reasons, I will not be pre-ordering it. I will be gone basically every weekend for the next three months for work, weddings and family gatherings. I will essentially no play time during the weekdays either, so I am just going to wait and see when GW2 comes out and get it then.

So, with all that in mind, I am going to ask a question (puts on his tinfoil hat). Does required pre purchase--not a $5 pre-order, but a full retail pre purchase--create a self fulfilling prophecy of less critical review of the early stage of the game?

Obviously, anyone willing to plunk down full retail price for a game that does not even have a release date yet is going to want that game to be good. Are they going to be willing (as a whole) to acknowledge any shortcomings the game has, or is this gearing up for a SWTOR-esque sticking of collective heads in the sand and stoning to death anyone who says anything negative about the game?

I am asking this as a legitimate question, not a troll. I want to see the game shine, and to shine, you have to sometimes acknowledge there are rough spots. It is the only way they are adressed.

Pony Check list

Let's see, "Are We" or "Are We Not" Trolling. 

1. Delcaring you are a fan. -- Check.

2. Creating an apologetic alibi. (Will be working for several weekends) --- Check.

3. Odd question that is vague and not fully informed of the overall situation. --- Check.

4. Contination of that question, which is actually a not-so-cleverly veiled attack at the community: "Obviously, anyone willing to plunk down full retail price for a game that does not even have a release date yet is going to want that game to be good. Are they going to be willing (as a whole) to acknowledge any shortcomings the game has, or is this gearing up for a SWTOR-esque sticking of collective heads in the sand and stoning to death anyone who says anything negative about the game" --- Check.

5. Finally, try to affirm that you're not actually a troll. --- Check.

I dunno son, looks like you be trollin' to me.

pony homework

----

BUT in all seriousness.

Understand this. Pre-Purchasing & Pre-Ordering a two different things.

Pre-Purchase: You're outright, buying the full product as though it were on the shelf right now. If you buy this, you are confident that what you've seen of the many, many, many hours of press footage is more than enough to sell you. Buying this also will give you additional perks, because you're telling the company: I'm not pre-ordering, I'm buying this right now -- even though it's not done yet! In turn, you get some nice rewards from the company for you continued support. Typically, there are no refunds for a Pre-Purchase, it's a commitment.

Pre-Order: You saw some pwetty pictures and pwetty gameplay trailers hand-crafted by the developers. So you went ahead and dropped awhere from a minor free or a large sum on money to 'reserve' yourself a copy of the title. This has since lost it's meaning over the years, as people now see it as some sort of hobby. Some people just Pre-Order purely for the goodies, and Gamespot gets a large portion of its income from utilizing this method. Unlike a Pre-purchase, you can cancel your Pre-Order or put it towards another product.

The point of this thread seems odd, because it doesn't seem to understand the difference and perhaps the OP is a bit confused over Pre-Order and Pre-Purchase. People who are going to Pre-Buy don't need to read reviews, they already know it is what they want from all of the many, many hours of footages, articles, and other things out there pumped out in the past 1 1/2 months. This is ANet plan of action, and so far the marketing for the game is working very well for it's far more informative than any other MMOs I've seen in the past 8 years.

I know more about Guild Wars 2 now, well before it's release date, than I did about any other game about this time. I know what it is, I know how it plays, I know how it handles, and I know it has what I want. I just know it's not out yet. I'm not assuming it has what I like, and I'm not going to super-impose my hopes and dreams onto it to glitter up any kind of day-1 reviews of impressions I may have about the game. Right now I've seen enough video to guage the game and even give it a personal rating, the only thing I haven't done was actually physically controlled the characters I've been watching for the past month.

End of this thread?

Pinkie-Check