Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else avoiding this game for the first 3-6 months due to the unrealistic hype?

Comments

• VercinorixVercinorix Member Posts: 53

For me its not just whether I will like the game, its also whether enough of the group of friends that I play computer games with like it enough to stick with it.

That is a lot harder to figure out. Though Arenanet has made it a lot easier for us by laying out so much information ahead of time, as well as their thoughts and reasons for doing what they have done with GW2.

Reviews, professional or amateur, really won't be enough to sway me either way. I've learned that professional reviewers almost never can give me the information I really need... which is the viability of the endgame. This is because they can never play the game in hardcore mode; they just don't have the time. As far as amateur/forum reviews go, the people most likely to post on forums are those who have issues with a game. The happy people are playing.

The only way I'll really know about a game is if I play it, and play it enough to make an informed opinion. Same goes for my friends.

A good sign is that Arenanet seems to be showing players the endgame in the beta (unlike many other betas have done). Most of the elements of gamepay that many of us have been looking forward to are actually present, so it is likely that enough of us will want to try it out. 

• ScriptZScriptZ Member UncommonPosts: 70

Originally posted by Vercinorix

For me its not just whether I will like the game, its also whether enough of the group of friends that I play computer games with like it enough to stick with it.

That is a lot harder to figure out. Though Arenanet has made it a lot easier for us by laying out so much information ahead of time, as well as their thoughts and reasons for doing what they have done with GW2.

Reviews, professional or amateur, really won't be enough to sway me either way. I've learned that professional reviewers almost never can give me the information I really need... which is the viability of the endgame. This is because they can never play the game in hardcore mode; they just don't have the time. As far as amateur/forum reviews go, the people most likely to post on forums are those who have issues with a game. The happy people are playing.

The only way I'll really know about a game is if I play it, and play it enough to make an informed opinion. Same goes for my friends.

A good sign is that Arenanet seems to be showing players the endgame in the beta (unlike many other betas have done). Most of the elements of gamepay that many of us have been looking forward to are actually present, so it is likely that enough of us will want to try it out. 

Agree it's not me that I'm worried about I'll def be checking it out I'm more worried about getting my friend to play it, he seems very on the fence about it atm.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Semibrucelee

I know my good friend from WoW does. He says every mmo in the last couple years have been overhyped and have failed miserably, concluding something this hyped have something to hide.

my friend says your friend is imaginary and you live under a bridge.

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

3 - 6 months?! Good luck with that.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I won't be buying at release if ever... depends on what I hear about the PvP.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by wormed

Originally posted by Amjoco

I'm resisting GW2 like the plague.

The hype created by the hordes of ravenous blind, zealot-like fanboys is enough to make me avoid GW2 rather than the game itself. This community has already spun negatives (imo) into positives, freely ignoring basic logical sense just on the hope that GW2 will be the savior of all MMORPG's to date.

It's a shame that things are dubbed "innovative" in 2012, when they were simple basics in the past. Apparently, I should be absolutely amped to play World vs World vs World, even though it was done already in DAoC, and done far better without limitations. Just like GW1, the idea of creating a quick-and-easy character and grind battlegrounds, or hop into the World PvP map lacks appeal; do I even care about my character this way? Don't get me wrong, I'm far from saying GW2 will be bad, or even "not good", but to be swept into the (borderline) idiotic fanboy love of a game barely anyone has played is close to insane.

I'll keep myself entertained with TERA for the time being. If GW2 gets all the praise it apparently deserves, I'll give them my money.

So you are honestly not going to play a game because people like it? 

Underlined because apparently you hate reading.

Never said I hate reading. Your thought process is so confusing I lost interest after the first sentence of the second paragraph. That just made me stop reading much further. What do you mean "avoid GW2 rather than the game itself"? GW2 is the game.  

You realize that reading an excerpt of a full sentence doesn't actually make sense, right? Now, read the WHOLE sentence and maybe, jusssssst maybe, it'll make sense to you. But then again, you admitted to not reading the whole thing as you seemingly get bored after one sentence of reading. Even more surprising is that one sentence confused you so badly you gave up.

Damn dude.

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Frankly the selling of items in the company shop has stopped me in my tracks.How do you sdesign a game where one set of players is xping at a different rate than others ? And becaus they have a crafting xp boost they can have better things that others.I hope I've painted this picture wrong.Until I know....simply not buying another "pig in a poke".SWTOR  reminded me once again of the consequences.

10% boost for an hour is going to break the game. If you didn't know SWTOR was going to be a linear cinematic that's your fault.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

The hype created by the hordes of ravenous blind, zealot-like fanboys is enough to make me avoid GW2 rather than the game itself.

lol.   Your sentence made me imagine " The Walking Dead " scene where the helicopter starts a horde of zombies.   Just need throw a GW2 logo on the chopper. 

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

Originally posted by Monorojo

I'm sorry but I have been tricked by this level of hype before and I will not be tricked again. With the (arguably) pay to win model, the incredibly simplistic combat, the unbalanced zerg fest that is WvWvW, etc....I just do not see what the fanatics are smoking.

I have high hopes for Guild Wars 2 but will not be playing until the unrealistic hype is crushed and the game is brought back down to earth.

First you bashed GW2 like no tommorow with your incredibly inaccurate personal opinion then you said you have high hopes for the game but you wont be playing until "game is brought back down to earth"(wtf is this??)

You haters are just jealous, simply put. You all are so scared that GW2 will be the shining beacon in the mmo market and watever awesome game you think you are playing now will fade into oblivion.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Cetra

I'm sorry but I have been tricked by this level of hype before and I will not be tricked again. With the (arguably) pay to win model, the incredibly simplistic combat, the unbalanced zerg fest that is WvWvW, etc....I just do not see what the fanatics are smoking.

I have high hopes for Guild Wars 2 but will not be playing until the unrealistic hype is crushed and the game is brought back down to earth.

First you bashed GW2 like no tommorow with your incredibly inaccurate personal opinion then you said you have high hopes for the game but you wont be playing until "game is brought back down to earth"(wtf is this??)

You haters are just jealous, simply put. You all are so scared that GW2 will be the shining beacon in the mmo market and watever awesome game you think you are playing now will fade into oblivion.

It's not even that simple, the games they value so highly will probably continue to do well, but there are always going to be games that get higher sales numbers or bigger populations due to any number of reasons, I don't see what they have to be bitter about.  They can even play with us.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Let's see:

Level of hype: check

Cash Shop: check

Simplistic combat: check

PVP zerging: check

And really, I can not come with a single example of a F2P game that does not offer P2W items and a single Open world pvp that does not follow the old principle "the biggest zerg wins".

So, how is his personal opinion that inaccurate?

• laxika91laxika91 Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by gordiflu

Let's see:

And really, I can not come with a single example of a F2P game that does not offer P2W items and a single Open world pvp that does not follow the old principle "the biggest zerg wins".

Cash Shop: no p2w items as far as I know.

Simplistic combat: I don't think it's that simple. But yeah, maybe it's simple for you.

PvP Zergling: a pro 7-8 people in a small team easily kill 15-20 random zergers, with AoE and just skill. WvWvW isn't about a ballanced gameplay anyways in my opinion. Go 4v4 team arenas for that.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

If you miss the opening days of an MMORPG, that's an experience that you can never get back.

Now if you never end up playing, fair enough. But if you think you're going to play a game, I have to say, you'd be pretty silly not to play it at the start when everyone is fresh and new.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by laxika91

Let's see:

Cash Shop: no p2w items as far as I know.

Simplistic combat: I don't think it's that simple. But yeah, maybe it's simple for you.

PvP Zergling: a pro 7-8 people in a small team easily kill 15-20 random zergers, with AoE and just skill. WvWvW isn't about a ballanced gameplay anyways in my opinion. Go 4v4 team arenas for that.

Stat boosts and power boosts in general are advantages.  Maybe you dont think its P2W. But its only your opinion. They will sell things enough people will want to buy. Advantages = profit.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

avoiding it totally.. maybe i might pick it up when the price goes down a bit..

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

If you know you are going to play a B2P game at any point of your life, what is the difference between day one and 3 months later? You won't save the $45 subscription fee either way.

Logic.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I will buy it, but am hoping the post-launch community isn't quite as fanatical as the pre-launch community is.

ArenaNet could come out tomorrow and say they are selling max level characters with epic gear and this pre-launch community would come up with some excuse why it would be alright because it is GW2! :)

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Just like that atrocious cash shop in GW1.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Why? Best time to play GW2 would be at the start. Every mechanic in the game relies on a massive population.

Why would I want to join late after everyone leaves? Dynamic events will suck, pvp queues will take forever to pop and open world pvp will be a wasteland. 

GW2 is going to be glorious fun the first month or two then as people move to a new game or back their original games it will be dead and empty. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Originally posted by Saxx0n

Just like that atrocious cash shop in GW1.

The cash shop in GW1 was not atrocious . Maybe you want a Pay 2 Win shop... Not here!

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Originally posted by Z3R01

Why? Best time to play GW2 would be at the start. Every mechanic in the game relies on a massive population.

Why would I want to join late after everyone leaves? Dynamic events will suck, pvp queues will take forever to pop and open world pvp will be a wasteland. 

GW2 is going to be glorious fun the first month or two then as people move to a new game or back their original games it will be dead and empty. 

These no sub so why leave?

(mod edit)

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by Saxx0n

Originally posted by Z3R01

These no sub so why leave?

(mod edit)

People get tired of games no matter what. wouldn't the best time to play GW2 be at the start when everyone else is experiencing the same content as you? 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Puremallace

Why any GW2 fan assume this game is immune to the retards in the mmo community is beyond me?

i have to agree with this comment

the more popular a game is, the more morons it will attract

that said, I'm looking forward to GW2 anyhow :)

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by Puremallace

Why any GW2 fan assume this game is immune to the retards in the mmo community is beyond me?

i have to agree with this comment

the more popular a game is, the more morons it will attract

that said, I'm looking forward to GW2 anyhow :)

One advantage here from other games I've tried, though... ignore lists (from what I've read) will be account based, so people can't just make a new alt to keep pestering someone.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

Let's see:

I have no idea how GW2 fanboys can refute this statement.

The hype, which is almost completely and totally created by the blind horde, is definitely evident and rampant.

There will be a cash shop, simple as that. Not to mention there will be a way to get money in the game through the use of gem sales. To me, that's pay to win. It will give you a monetary advantage, period.

It's so funny how people just absolutely HATED on tab targeting and how they were tired of it but because it's GW2, it's totally fine. It's not basic and boring because they spiced it up! (except not really.)