Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else avoiding this game for the first 3-6 months due to the unrealistic hype?

Comments

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

About the only online game that I ever bought and was disappointed to the point of regretting buying it was Age of Conan.  In the grand scheme of things, that's not much disappointment.  I think I really just bought  it because I was a long-time fan of Conan and was just jonesing to find an online game to play at the time.

I also bought and played Asheron's Call 2 way back when, but that was worth it just to play with the musical instruments in the game. That was an awesome music system. 

Everything that disappointed/frustrated me about any online games I've played in the past is not in GW2, including a monthly subscription fee. It's hard to justify paying $15 a month when you're a casual player, and when because of that playstyle you're coded out of elite, end-game content.  So I hardly think GW2 is going to be a disappointment.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by Meleagar

About the only online game that I ever bought and was disappointed to the point of regretting buying it was Age of Conan.  In the grand scheme of things, that's not much disappointment.  I think I really just bought  it because I was a long-time fan of Conan and was just jonesing to find an online game to play at the time.

I also bought and played Asheron's Call 2 way back when, but that was worth it just to play with the musical instruments in the game. That was an awesome music system. 

Everything that disappointed/frustrated me about any online games I've played in the past is not in GW2, including a monthly subscription fee. It's hard to justify paying $15 a month when you're a casual player, and when because of that playstyle you're coded out of elite, end-game content.  So I hardly think GW2 is going to be a disappointment.

I agree with this.  I've never been disappointed after my purchase.  I've always felt I got my money's worth.  I know people want a game they will play for years, but even if there's little to do when you get to 80 (I'm not saying this is the case because I like the idea of the server pvp in this game.  But even if it were true.  Say you get bored of the game after 60-80 hours.  That is still much more "bang" for your buck than the vast majority of single player games.  

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by sonoggi

avoiding a game due to well-deserved hype is dumb

Well the critics' counter-points to that statement center around an advantage they have called "It's not out yet".  Hundreds if not thousands of people having played the game notwithstanding, apparently if you buy into any hype, it means you're dumb.

No, I'm not calling you dumb.  Nor am I calling them dumb, they have every right to be suspicious, but unless you're concerned about something like the cash shop, I think there's been more than enough evidence from people like Total Biscuit and IGN's staff that the game itself is shaping up to be a quality product.   And really, that's mostly what people care about.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by causs

Originally posted by Monorojo

/snip

So you're saying that you find:

• The cash shop P2W

• The combat incredibly simplistic

• WvWvW an unbalanced zerg fest

And you are saying you still have high hopes? WHAT have you been smoking? Give me a break, and stop trolling. If I say those things about a game, I certainly do not buy that game. So why are you even bothering?

Honestly, I don't even pay attention to Monorojo's actual posts anymore, I just answered his question.  He doesn't have high hopes for GW2, he flames it every chance he gets, but he asks a good question for once.

I just have to say, if he was trying to start another hate thread, it worked against him.  A lot of people are buying this game as soon as it's available.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Not sure if I would call it over-hyped. Overkill? Maybe. I have seen few open discussions about GW2's flaws and shortcomings. When they are brought up, they are usually done as trolls and then must be attacked decisively. Every single discussion always slides back into some kind of back and forth Cash Shop arguement. I can see some people are on a mission to defame this game under the guise of holding ANet acountable while others will rush to ANet's defense no matter what it is the company does. There is almost no unbiased information available on GW2 from this site.

I have been lightly anticipating this game on and off for years. Recently I have gotten a deeper look at GW2 and to me it seem for every positive change it brings, there is something disappointing. That said, it still looks like I could get my money out of it so most likely, I'll get it sonner than later

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

i try to avoild a mmo for atleast 3 months...though...i got sucked into SWTOR...game was a huge dissapointment and it will never see the light of day again from within my storage room.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

The game is good, there is no denying that. Look at the vids.

Unfortunately there are some seriously rabid fanboys that think this game is the 2nd coming or something, and no game can live up to the expectations they are placing on it. 

I was one of the people that got caught up and bought into the SWTOR hype and was disappointed when it wasnt all i hoped it would be. I think the same will happen with GW2. 

Personally, I am going to avoid prepurchasing until the cash shop issue has been settled and we start seeing balanced reviews coming from real players. Then I will decide to buy or not buy. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

No. I've kept my expectations realistic.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I'm sorry but I have been tricked by this level of hype before and I will not be tricked again. With the (arguably) pay to win model, the incredibly simplistic combat, the unbalanced zerg fest that is WvWvW, etc....I just do not see what the fanatics are smoking.

I have high hopes for Guild Wars 2 but will not be playing until the unrealistic hype is crushed and the game is brought back down to earth.

II have already bought it but anyone the least bit unsure probably should wait a while.

3-6 months are really a bit overboard though. You will get somke ideas after a week and everyone will know if it is worth it or not after 6 weeks.

I never seen a MMO that the community wouldn´t be sure of 6 weeks after launch.

There is one good reason to wait 6 months though, and that is that it is the time it will take to get meaningful match ups between the servers, the first 2 months will just be a fluke if you get anywhere near good oponents.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I'm sorry but I have been tricked by this level of hype before and I will not be tricked again. With the (arguably) pay to win model, the incredibly simplistic combat, the unbalanced zerg fest that is WvWvW, etc....I just do not see what the fanatics are smoking.

I have high hopes for Guild Wars 2 but will not be playing until the unrealistic hype is crushed and the game is brought back down to earth.

I will avoid disputing the obvious lies in your first paragraph and simply ask - why bother waiting when the game is B2P? You take more of a risk when you buy a single player game, at least GW2s features are well documented.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

why avoid it? it's free......

pay once and you have it forever.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by stragen001

Unfortunately there are some seriously rabid fanboys that think this game is the 2nd coming or something, and no game can live up to the expectations they are placing on it. 

No, no, no. No one says GW2 is the second coming. People may confuse it with the second coming though when they see Jesus in line at GameStop tomorrow pre-purchasing the Collector's Edition. Easy mistake to forgive.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Volkon

No, no, no. No one says GW2 is the second coming. People may confuse it with the second coming though when they see Jesus in line at GameStop tomorrow pre-purchasing the Collector's Edition. Easy mistake to forgive.

I heard Moses will be first in line, since he will part the sea of people in front of him. So we have the first and second coming. :)

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Bunks

I heard Moses will be first in line, since he will part the sea of people in front of him. So we have the first and second coming. :)

Dont forget the angels, I hate the way they save spots for each other, there are hundreds of them!!

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Adalwulff

Originally posted by Bunks

Dont forget the angels, I hate the way they save spots for each other, there are hundreds of them!!

Nah those angels are just fanbois.

• velimiriusvelimirius Member UncommonPosts: 134

hehe i avoided swtor and will never play it, tried beta for and was bored after 30mins or less.

But im sure i wont avoid this, WvW in GW2 looks fantastic, so ill be there since day 1 :) simple as that. Norn power!

• flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92

nope. it's not unrealistic to think it'll be better than SWTOR, RFIT, WoW, etc. that's not not unrealistic at all, more like overdue.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

no beta no cash. simple as that.

until i get to try it.. and looking to the flops we been getting in the last years.. wont spend a dime on any game.. thus will pass this one.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

Headline after release:

WORLD PEACE BREAKS OUT

AFTER RELEASE OF GW2!! 

GW2 Haters rounded up and institutionalized.

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by velimirius

hehe i avoided swtor and will never play it, tried beta for and was bored after 30mins or less.

But im sure i wont avoid this, WvW in GW2 looks fantastic, so ill be there since day 1 :) simple as that. Norn power!

Right on, tried SWTOR stress test, but it didn't feel special, except I had the chance of being a huge dick to NPCs. Pre-purchasing is nice for me because I will be able to coordinate on what servers we will play with my guild ( I mean the 3day before release start). Also, norn.

No he won't be. He hates cash shops

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Game looks good so I have no problem prepurchasing.  If it turns out that everything I have seen/read is wrong and the game sucks, I won't buy any future Anet products.  I've already sworn off anything with the EA logo on it.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

And Saint Attila raised the Collector's Edition up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Guild Wars 2 Collector's Edition with the wonderful little statue of Rytlock and the artbook and that delightful music that with it we mayest blow Tyria's enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Yay! Another thread claiming that the hype is over the top. Nope I will not be avoiding and I will be pre purchasing two copies. Others hype will not bother me because others expectation levels are not my own and in no way have an affect on me or my gaming experience. Also the game has no sub so there is little point to wait while things get worked out. If the game releases with bugs, doubtful due to the effort the team is putting out to release when it's ready, it still would not matter seeing as how I can put it down and pick it up later if I feel it still needs time. These forums have turned into a pretty bad QQ fest where the arguments against the game are laughable at best. 

Edit: Also the prepurchase decision isn't based on hype. I have played the game and liked what I saw so it makes little difference whether I buy it a couple weeks after release or before the game releases since I already know I will enjoy it.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Originally posted by FlawSGI

Yay! Another thread claiming that the hype is over the top. Nope I will not be avoiding and I will be pre purchasing two copies. Others hype will not bother me because others expectation levels are not my own and in no way have an affect on me or my gaming experience. Also the game has no sub so there is little point to wait while things get worked out. If the game releases with bugs, doubtful due to the effort the team is putting out to release when it's ready, it still would not matter seeing as how I can put it down and pick it up later if I feel it still needs time. These forums have turned into a pretty bad QQ fest where the arguments against the game are laughable at best. 

Edit: Also the prepurchase decision isn't based on hype. I have played the game and liked what I saw so it makes little difference whether I buy it a couple weeks after release or before the game releases since I already know I will enjoy it.

Have you actually seen what people are posting in this thread?

Even as sarcasm, it's still way over the top.