Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fanboyism is actually making me dislike the game

167891012»

Comments

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

No not EXP boosts, real actual pay2win boosts in RvRvR:

cash->gems->gold->influence->RvRvRboosts = Pay2Win

Your "chart" is flawed for the simple fact that the guilds who can actually use RvRvR boosts do not need to buy influence with gold.

Then why have that mechanic in the game?  They should remove it, as it is the only CLEAR pay2win aspect of the game.  Many people who are diehard GW2 fans think this mechanic should be removed, although they call the advantage "small."

Remove this mechanic if it is not needed.  If it is needed however, then it is clear pay2win.

The mechanic is put into place for smaller guilds, those with less than 10 people. Influence doesn't just unlock PvP boosts, it also unlocks guild banks, the ability to buy emblem armor and other stuff like that.

But the point is, it DOES provide PVP boosts, hence the pay2win aspect:

It does not. Because in order for RvRvR boosts to work, the guild needs to capture aand defend a keep and that requires a lot of people. In other words, only big guilds will be able to capture and defend keeps and big guilds do not need to purchase influence with gold.

Keeps can be captured fairly easily, especially off-hours.  And the pay2win boosts that you can buy will help you defend it once you capture it.  Sure, overwhelming zerg defeats anything but that is true for any game.  Overwhelming zerg defeats an "uber sword of pwnage" as well but that doesn't change the fact that it is pay2win.

This is true no matter the contortions you go through to pretend it isn't.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Originally posted by evicton

While I certainly wouldn't base my choice on the forums the op's point is not without merit.

My favorite recent one is this.

Cash shop leak shows xp boosts in the cash shop.

Average forum response "Only stupid people will buy those cause of the awesome sidekicking up feature in pve which truly makes GW2 a different kind of game and only people who don't understand how the game works would want to buy those exp boosts'

ANet announces that the side kicking feature will not be implemented in pve.

Average forum response "This is an awesome change..they took the one feature I didn't like in the game and removed it"

Exactly, the fans with blinders on don't see the tweaking of game mechanics to push people to cash shop is already happening.  They recently added the ability to become a squad commander as well, although as Anet said this will cost "a LOT" of gold.

cash->gems->gold...

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by bishbosh

people staunchly defending everything about gw2 is reminding me of all those other fail mmorpgs out there. they all had the same fanboy crowd licking up any crap thrown at them and BAM the game tanks. 

i was intent on prerodering 10th april and now i dont even know if i want to buy the game. i dont want to play a game full of people that will take any crap from the devs/publisher because i know in the long run the game will suck because criticisms will be drowned out with " WOW had the same problems on release", " you havent even played to max level", "go back to WOW" etc etc. 

i dont know if im the only one that gets turned off game by fanboyism, there are probably more people out there so i think its best to take that into consideration and be a bit more welcoming and less aggresive/vile when someone criticises gw2 or questions its "greatness". i would like to see gw2 do well (more compeition=better games for us) but games wont do well if developers cannot hear the players complaints.

Man I hate posts like this, usually they are done by someone who thinks there point of view is better and is aggitated that no one seems to agree with them. Due to this percieved wrong they decide that the game is going to fail because there is just an over whelming amount of sheep that just lap up everything with a grin regardless of how bad it is. 

The whole "If you don't agree with me then you are a troll/moron/shill/fanboi or w/e" is just a bad choice if you want to discuss anything or if you simply want people to listen to what you have to say.

It would have helped a lot more if you had given specific examples as well this way we could better judge the validity of this thread.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I gotta ask.

Is this really about a GW2 anymore? Seems more like some forum cause.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Your "chart" is flawed for the simple fact that the guilds who can actually use RvRvR boosts do not need to buy influence with gold.

Then why have that mechanic in the game?  They should remove it, as it is the only CLEAR pay2win aspect of the game.  Many people who are diehard GW2 fans think this mechanic should be removed, although they call the advantage "small."

Remove this mechanic if it is not needed.  If it is needed however, then it is clear pay2win.

The mechanic is put into place for smaller guilds, those with less than 10 people. Influence doesn't just unlock PvP boosts, it also unlocks guild banks, the ability to buy emblem armor and other stuff like that.

It does not. Because in order for RvRvR boosts to work, the guild needs to capture aand defend a keep and that requires a lot of people. In other words, only big guilds will be able to capture and defend keeps and big guilds do not need to purchase influence with gold.

If I may heartless can I add this on top of your post?

Play with guild > Earn influence > WvWvW boost = Play to just get boosts.

Cash > gems > Gold from other people who will have enough > Buy drinks that you can get get with silver > get influence > RvRvR Boosts

First you gotta unlock the tiers

You also got to spend huge amounts of cash

You also don't need to unless your iq isn't high because all you need is a decent size guild and just play and you get influence

Can't stack the important ones like stat ones

It only effects a keep for an certaint amount of time

Yes his logic has and will for ever be proved wrong but it's why he has his head deep in the sand, he can't listen even if he wanted to.

You guys will almost be paying for an aprtment and that'f if you get gold for the gems you sale.

People got to have gold to get gems, people will of course have to get gems for gold, how ever things in the cash shop is obtainable or unlockale in game as well.

You'll find boosts scattered in mobs, that don't stack.

XP boosts are only for mobs, so if you sitting there grinding mobs but not DE's someone with no boosts will level up faster than you.

Sieges are cheap by the way, and they require supply, you also need supply to upgrade keeps and defenses and offense.

This is just some extra stuff to get rid of any further claims.

Oh also your guild must capture and defend a keep in orde for those boosts to work

Also no boosts give you a pass from an ass whooping.

For got about that heartless pointed it out.

Let me know if it's flawed I'll edit it lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Keeps can be captured fairly easily, especially off-hours.  And the pay2win boosts that you can buy will help you defend it once you capture it.  Sure, overwhelming zerg defeats anything but that is true for any game.  Overwhelming zerg defeats an "uber sword of pwnage" as well but that doesn't change the fact that it is pay2win.

Disliking it out of principle is understandable. But as far as in-game integrity goes I don't see this causing any sort of balance issues, it's well known only a small percentage of players use cash-shops, far less use them regularly. That considered to me it's not something I care much about.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

While I certainly wouldn't base my choice on the forums the op's point is not without merit.

Average forum response "Only stupid people will buy those cause of the awesome sidekicking up feature in pve which truly makes GW2 a different kind of game and only people who don't understand how the game works would want to buy those exp boosts'

Average forum response "This is an awesome change..they took the one feature I didn't like in the game and removed it"

Exactly, the fans with blinders on don't see the tweaking of game mechanics to push people to cash shop is already happening.  They recently added the ability to become a squad commander as well, although as Anet said this will cost "a LOT" of gold.

cash->gems->gold...

And if you become a commander you will be able to lead a small squad of people and draw strategies on the map. 

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

You do know that there is more to capturing a keep than knocking down the doors, right? You need an overwhelming zerg to capture a keep and you need a slightly smaller one to defend it. Or do you honestly think that your keep is going to attacked by 5-10 people when each zones allows for hundreds from each server?

Hypothetically though, lets assume that a small 5-10 man guild captures a keep, buys lots of gems and trades them for gold and influence and gets a lot of these pay2win boosts, installs them on their keep... and then gets steamrolled by the first available zerg.

So who really won? Did the pay2win help?

Originally posted by Distopia

Disliking it out of principle is understandable. But as far as in-game integrity goes I don't see this causing any sort of balance issues, it's well known only a small percentage of players use cash-shops, far less use them regularly. That considered to me it's not something I care much about.

There is a big difference between "not causing balance issues" versus "not providing any in game advatnage via cash shop"

I'm not sure if the advantages you can buy will be "small" or "medium" but I do know they are not "ZERO" which means it is pay2win by definition.  Maybe "small" pay2win but pay2win nontheless.  I do not play pay2win games, PERIOD.

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

Again, your entire argument is based on assumptions, and you derived and expand your logic with that assumption.

No matter how much you pretend, there is no actual facts in your entire posts.

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by bishbosh

people staunchly defending everything about gw2 is reminding me of all those other fail mmorpgs out there. they all had the same fanboy crowd licking up any crap thrown at them and BAM the game tanks. 

i was intent on prerodering 10th april and now i dont even know if i want to buy the game. i dont want to play a game full of people that will take any crap from the devs/publisher because i know in the long run the game will suck because criticisms will be drowned out with " WOW had the same problems on release", " you havent even played to max level", "go back to WOW" etc etc. 

i dont know if im the only one that gets turned off game by fanboyism, there are probably more people out there so i think its best to take that into consideration and be a bit more welcoming and less aggresive/vile when someone criticises gw2 or questions its "greatness". i would like to see gw2 do well (more compeition=better games for us) but games wont do well if developers cannot hear the players complaints.

Listen, people all through your life are going to be affecting what you do and how you do it. Why let the actions of some outspoken vocal people, regardless of whether they are correct or not to dictate what you do?

Because that's what you are doing, you are handing the reigns of your game play life over to others and having them dissuade you from doing something that you might enjoy all because they are vocal about their beliefs.

Because if you allow others to do this then you are going to find that you will constantly be quitting, leaving, not taking part in activities that you are going to enjoy.

People aren't going to change but you need to change how you allow them to affect you. This is not to say that you should have to take crap from people or that you must be in a poisonous environment but you should know that this is only part of a long chain of events where some group is going to piss you off.

How you deal with that is what's going to get you through.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

You do know that there is more to capturing a keep than knocking down the doors, right? You need an overwhelming zerg to capture a keep and you need a slightly smaller one to defend it. Or do you honestly think that your keep is going to attacked by 5-10 people when each zones allows for hundreds from each server?

Hypothetically though, lets assume that a small 5-10 man guild captures a keep, buys lots of gems and trades them for gold and influence and gets a lot of these pay2win boosts, installs them on their keep... and then gets steamrolled by the first available zerg.

Buying in-game advantages via a cash shop is pay2win, no matter how "small" you argue it to be.  Just replace your rationale with  "small 5-10 man guild buys uber sword of pwnage" and your rationale that they will be zerged is still true.  But that does not change the fact that an "uber sword of pwnage" is pay2win.

There is a big difference between "not causing balance issues" versus "not providing any in game advatnage via cash shop"

I'm not sure if the advantages you can buy will be "small" or "medium" but I do know they are not "ZERO" which means it is pay2win by definition.  Maybe "small" pay2win but pay2win nontheless.  I do not play pay2win games, PERIOD.

Like I said disliking it out of principle is understandable. But the larger picture for most is going to be how it actually effects the game.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I think this is exactly the thing I imagine the OP is referring to. It's like those saying thanks Anet for not putting mounts in game because loads of people find them irritating then rowing back when Anet say they will come in later on.
  • evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by RizelStar

If I may heartless can I add this on top of your post?

Play with guild > Earn influence > WvWvW boost = Play to just get boosts.

Cash > gems > Gold from other people who will have enough > Buy drinks that you can get get with silver > get influence > RvRvR Boosts

First you gotta unlock the tiers

You also got to spend huge amounts of cash

You also don't need to unless your iq isn't high because all you need is a decent size guild and just play and you get influence

Can't stack the important ones like stat ones

It only effects a keep for an certaint amount of time

Yes his logic has and will for ever be proved wrong but it's why he has his head deep in the sand, he can't listen even if he wanted to.

You guys will almost be paying for an aprtment and that'f if you get gold for the gems you sale.

People got to have gold to get gems, people will of course have to get gems for gold, how ever things in the cash shop is obtainable or unlockale in game as well.

You'll find boosts scattered in mobs, that don't stack.

XP boosts are only for mobs, so if you sitting there grinding mobs but not DE's someone with no boosts will level up faster than you.

Sieges are cheap by the way, and they require supply, you also need supply to upgrade keeps and defenses and offense.

This is just some extra stuff to get rid of any further claims.

Oh also your guild must capture and defend a keep in orde for those boosts to work

Also no boosts give you a pass from an ass whooping.

For got about that heartless pointed it out.

Let me know if it's flawed I'll edit it lol.

Just refering to the xp boosts. Why would someone who had an exp boost stop doing de's and heart tasks just because you have a per mob exp boosts. You will certainly kill mobs while doing both des and tasks.

I've played games with exp boosts that affected mob kills before, and never once did I say, hey i better just sit here and kill mobs because they is what my boost is for. Now I may have limited the amount of fedex quests. But any type of kill quest was my priority.

mob kill bonus xp+de/heart xp> then no bonus de/heart xp> mob grinding

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

This is just another post by a TERA fanboi, look at his history. According to his own history he really hasn't done a single bit of research on GW2 because  of statements that he's made about the game. like:

every class has the same choices of abilities

items don't have a decay

there is no player economy

crafting is useless not rewarding

players cannot really effect the world

it's fascinating that someone who dispises grinding would actually not like a game based solely on how awesome other people think this game is just out of principles alone.

Seriously, if you dislike the game because other people like it so much, then don't play, thanks for stopping by.

Like I said disliking it out of principle is understandable. But the larger picture for most is going to be how it actually effects the game.

That might be true.  Doesn't mean I can't argue my case though.  The more people that agree with me the more likely Anet might drop the gold->influence mechanic, which would solve 90% of the cash shop problems...

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Buying in-game advantages via a cash shop is pay2win, no matter how "small" you argue it to be.  Just replace your rationale with  "small 5-10 man guild buys uber sword of pwnage" and your rationale that they will be zerged is still true.  But that does not change the fact that an "uber sword of pwnage" is pay2win.

I'm arguing that it's not small, it's pointless. It's kind of like if my character is an elementalist and I buy the best set plate armor available, will that be pay2win?

Originally posted by itgrowls

This is just another post by a TERA fanboi, look at his history.

IF we did that for anyone we see posting we could find ways to dismiss every opinion offered, be it positive or negative. What would your post history tell us?

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Why does it matter how others feel about the game that hasn't been released yet. Maybe you'll become the biggest fanyboy yourself later. Maybe you won't, but it shouldn't make you dislike the game for what it is. You can even hate the creator and love its creation. It doesn't matter what other people think once you are ingame. Just don't visit the forums for a while and gain some distance. I bet you'll see things differently.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please remember to follow the RoC when posting. Stay on topic when posting in a thread and do not resort to personal attacks on other users.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.