Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exactly how are chests that can only be unlocked via buying keys in the Cash shop NOT Pay 2 win?

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by romanator0

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by dagon3

We need to just get rid of free to play all together go back to the way it was , pay your 50 cents a day for your monthly sub , then all this bullshit talk and arguing will be over with .
    Good ole pay and play !
    Anyone else agree ?

I actually 100% agree.  And I would be willing to up the subscription to $50 a month for a truly worthy game.  The very crass cash shop mechanics just need to go, along with the pay2win.

I agree, I am amazed people seem to think that Anet have created their system to discourage people from buying things, the truth will out.

Yeah, 'cause wanting people to buy things is sooooo money-grubbing and greedy.

What's said is they don't literally need people to buy the stuff, it's just there for some extra but not needed convience.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Banisco

That GW2 fanboys dont understand that those chests are full of win! once you open one you become lvl 200 with all the skills of all the profesions and you can triple wield all the weapons.

I know, I can't wait to overpower my enemies with mystic chest contents like +10 Pauldrons of P2W.  The carnage will be glorious!

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

Notice the thread started hasn't posted.

People always start threads like this on the weekend. Spark a stupid statement, then grab some popcorn.

Cartman Popcorn

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Zzad

Keys to unlock those chests also drop in game.

Link to that info?

Didn't they say everything in the CS will be available through time played in-game?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by RizelStar

What's said is they don't literally need people to buy the stuff, it's just there for some extra but not needed convience.

I really hope you don't believe that part.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Originally posted by RizelStar

I really hope you don't believe that part.

Sounds like a personal problem.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Here's how I see it...

P2W isn't just binary (on or off).  Something can have elements of P2W, but not be affected that much overall by P2W.

For example, if I made a game designed to be played for years, where you could get from level 1-10 in five minutes, but sold an "instant level 10 potion" for $5...would this be P2W?  I mean, it's definitely a P2W element...you are literally buying an advantage.  But the reality is that the advantage is so minor, that it really doesn't affect the overall game that much.

This is how I feel GW2 will be.  Mystic keys, buying gold with gems are definitely P2W elements (and I dislike them for that).  I really don't think anyone could argue otherwise.

That said though, there are several mitigating factors in GW2 that lead me to believe that they won't have a large impact.  For instance...

1.  All this stuff has ZERO impact in structured PvP because everyone is on an even playing field.

2.  Anything you can buy in the CS can be acquired in game, so CSers won't have a huge advantage over non-CSers.

3.  The game just doesn't seem to be designed for a item-grind.  So even if you get an awesome item from a chest that you bought a key to...it won't matter much because it probably won't take most people to get equivalent gear.

So I mean...it is what it is.  It's a P2W element, but I don't think it will ruin the game.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Eir_S

Link to that info?

Didn't they say everything in the CS will be available through time played in-game?

That doesn't mean keys will drop in game, could just mean you can buy them from players who purchase them. Their wording was they don't want to allow an advantage over time through CS purchases, which really doesn't say these will be available at all in-game, they could simply offer no form of power through them or convenience. Which would follow that statement just fine.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

Originally posted by thinktank001

Originally posted by Celcius

Since so many people will be undercutting eachother in order to sell the gems cheaper, the market for gems will be determined by players, not the developers or goldsellers.

This is absolutely ridiculous.   It is a fact that less than 10% of the users will be purchasing gems, and I would argue it will probably be less with GW2, since everyone was expecting it to be B2P.  Nothing like pissed off players to drive your sales down even more.  Do you really think gem sellers are willing to undercut each other when 90% of the server is looking to buy gems?

To put it in a simple supply/demand aspect. 

- Gems;  limited supply

- Gold; infinite supply

What do you think will be the more valuable?

Actually yes, players will undercut eachother when selling gems. Again, this is why players determine the value of gold and not the developers or the goldsellers. This is the great part about the system! If you think players will just match everyone elses prices you obviously don't know anything about economics in MMOs. 

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183

Oh look. Scare-mongering.

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I think the record is skipping. 

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

PAY 2 WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah....

wait, what did we win?

Originally posted by DJJazzy

PAY 2 WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah....

wait, what did we win?

I hope it's a pony.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

Is there a skill related to opening chests?

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

PAY 2 WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah....

wait, what did we win?

I hope it's a pony.

a Dark Pony?

I hope it's a pony.

a Dark Pony?

That would suffice. :)

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

FFS!! How are you people so bloody blind!? Of course this game is pay to win!! If I don't buy GW2 I can't play. This means that anyone who DOES buy GW2 has a MASSIVE in game advantage over me. This is so unfair. WTF was A-net thinking!?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by SuprGamerX

Heh , you gotta be pretty naive on believing that a game that is F2P with a cash shop won't be B2W.  Even if the Devs say otherwise.   Scratching this game off my list of trials , NEXT!

Too bad 95% of the gaming community are on social welfare and can't support a 10-15$ a month MMO , we would of had ALOT of epic titles.

Thank you for not playing. The more folks like you that stay away from GW2 the better the community will be.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Heh , you gotta be pretty naive on believing that a game that is F2P with a cash shop won't be B2W.  Even if the Devs say otherwise.   Scratching this game off my list of trials , NEXT!

Too bad 95% of the gaming community are on social welfare and can't support a 10-15$ a month MMO , we would of had ALOT of epic titles.

Thank you for not playing. The more folks like you that stay away from GW2 the better the community will be.

No kidding, he sounds like a WoW trade chat cavedweller.  Who needs the negativity?

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

Right, like TOR/WAR/Darkfall/Vanguard/AoC/FF14/FallenEarth? All $10-15 a month games, epic titles? I dunno about that.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by BilboDoggins

I would like to see how anyone can logically come to the conclusion that chests which can only be unlocked by buying keys from the cash shop isnt Pay 2 win.

Cuz i dont think anyone can and if they do claim its not Pay 2 win I think they are being willfully ignorant and/or intellectually dishonest.

So lets hear it. Defend this obvious pay 2 win scam.

because the keys drop in game, end of story.

Originally posted by Boatsmate

Is there a skill related to opening chests?

no but the keys DROP IN GAME and this is still iffy but a few have claimed that there is an NPC that opens them as well.

Link to that info?

you wont find it because just like the leaked cash shop items the info is under NDA. But I am shocked you didn't already know this since it's been pretty common knowledge since the cash shop leak escapade went nuts. The keys drop, the chests drop the buffs and stuff. Also who knows what is there next beta event since they removed a lot from the shop before the end of the weekend according to leaks.

ugg and sorry for triple post.. I wish this site collapsed posts like other sites :(

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I flat out don't like  all this ...I got money...you don't so I have more fun and faster. I'm getting less interested in this game every day.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by BilboDoggins

I would like to see how anyone can logically come to the conclusion that chests which can only be unlocked by buying keys from the cash shop isnt Pay 2 win.

Cuz i dont think anyone can and if they do claim its not Pay 2 win I think they are being willfully ignorant and/or intellectually dishonest.

So lets hear it. Defend this obvious pay 2 win scam.

B/c they shamelessly copied the MannCo store....

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Crate

Seriously now BD... you should give it a rest.  You're not fooling anyone