Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If this game had a subscription fee it would fail.

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

I think the OP is just trying to rile up the forum....I dont know that much about GW2 at this point, but I'd be willing to bet its better than games lift Rift or Darkfall and they are p2p.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Well it doesn't have a subscription so the point is moot.

Next topic please.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    If Bruce Lee were obese he would have never become a fighting movie legend.
    Well too bad, because he wasn't obese.
  • AshindaiAshindai Member Posts: 56

PvP is the only sort of endgame content that keeps me coming back.  It's also the main reason I'm interested in GW2.

I find it hard to have fun running through the same dungeon every week, several times a week, with the only goal being to earn new gear that slightly improve my stats so that I can run through the same dungeon yet again but this time at a harder difficulty level.

There's pleanty of solid MMOs on the market that offer just that for all those diehard PvE enthusiasts.  For us PvP addicts, however, GW2 is is a rare treat offering to cater more than just battlegrounds and 2-faction PvP scenarios.

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

Keep in mind that Anet is likely to also add content as time goes on, like they did with GW1.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

If battlefield 3 or mass effect 3 had a subscription fee it would fail? You see how idiotic, your topic sounds.

Lets make this simple, every guild wars design principle was based on the concept of NO monthly subs. the simple truth is guild wars 2 is designed to follow the b2p model current PC and console games follow, but in an MMO version.

The removal of raids, which at its core is designed to let no life loser grind the same boring instance for months in hopes of getting the lengendary + 2 sword that becomes useless 6 months later, so they can keep putting in the quarters oops i meant 15 bucks. It is also designed to let people that have an ounce of skill, raise over those same losers that will  probably be considered good (90% of all raiders) in a trendmil based game.

This same principle applies to  grinding, gear trendmil. Every single design principle is based on the concept of having fun, while minimizing the wasteful time sucking grind that only exist to make ppl pay more sub fees. most sub based MMOs are a clever evolution of the 90s arcade system that had cheap bosses design to get the player easily killed so they keep retrying and putting in more quarters.

BTW just as a note, I didn't read the OP's premise just because its probably stupid.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by Z3R01

From experience people would leave in droves once they found out the game had zero progressive pve endgame content. 

Small man dungeons aren't enough. If they were Rift would still have 800k subs and SWTOR wouldn't be bleeding players atm.

Endgame is everything to the majority of the mmorpg community and GW2 has very little meaningful endgame content. 

A-net has gone out of their way to say they do not care if people stick with GW2 because they know the game has no reason for you to commit to it. THat's proof enough to me that the game is lacking in anytype of endgame content that traditional games have.

I'll still buy it because it doesn't have a sub and im sure many of you have said the same thing.

GW2 is not made for Progressionists. This is true.

This is because games made for Progressionists have to intentionally have their gameplay handicapped so Progressionists can feel like they are constantly progressing.

GW2 will be a game for players, not workers.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Charlizzard

OK, some of those concerns seem reasonable to me, some not so much. I have only played subscription games, but I'm seeing more and more games moving toward this hybrid model, including TSW and D3 (which seems the most egregious cash grab). Not that this justifies it, but I am hoping that upon release, ANet will maintain the idea that cash shop items should be 1) cosmetic or 2) convenience. I don't care if people pay $5 for a different shade of red, just like I don't care if they pay $25 for a sparklepony in WoW. Perhaps I am naive, but I am hoping that ANet is using the feedback from betas to see what people will accept and what they will not, and at the end of the day, the game will maintain the idea that skill will determine success or failure in both PvE or WvW.

Still, you are clearly spending a lot of time and energy on this issue, and I don't get it. Are you trying to get ANet to change these things, or convince people not to play because of them, or are you posting on multiple forums where the games have cash shops to try and stop the practice? And weren't details of the cash shop under NDA across the board, even for press?

1) Yes, I am hoping if enough people complain loudly enough Anet will back away from the most egregious items.  I am losing hope in that however

2) I am not trying to convince people not to buy, they need to make their own judgements.  But I am willing to spend the time to educate people in what Anet is trying to do here.  To me the worst thing is many people have not done the research to see how bad this cash shop is getting and how it is affecting the game mechanics.

3) I have posted in other forums regarding cash shops before.  Right now, GW2's is the flavor of the year in upcoming MMOs so it is the most actively discussed.  I also find their rapid changes to cash shop philosphy and admission that the game was built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind very disturbing for a game they are charging $60 for.

4) I have not signed any NDA I can talk as much as I want about the cash shop if people are willing to listen.  But I'm sure Anet are trying to keep the cash shop under wraps, it is very appalling in my opinion.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Why just  because Guild Wars 2 doesn't have 50 man raids the PvE is considered weak? More people involved doesn't mean it's going to be any tougher. Can't wait untill I see the people complaining about weak PvE content come in here 2 weeks after release complaining it's too hard.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

" progressive pve endgame content. "

Translation:   "I like gear treadmills and everyone else should too"

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Guildwars 2 is for me the Battlefield / CoD of mmo's

PvP = Skill based - check

Battlegrounds = objective based - check

World PvP = Gang roaming never know what you get - check

Arena skill based - check

GW2 = fun ? check, double check, tripple check, Hell Yes !!

I would pay a sub without a second doubt.

It beats EQ / WoW / SWTOR / Aion / Warhammer / Rift wihout much resistance.

I played EQ and WoW for very long periods of time, and played any (tripple A) mmo of the past 1.5 decade that came out.

End game means a carrot on a stick witch is exactly the shit i wanne avoid as i have been doing that shit for i dont know for how long.

If i wanted that i resubbed to any of the current carrot on a stick mmo's.

GW2 will provide instand PvP on a balanced battlefield in many diffrent formats.

You may not like it, OP but who cares ? its about time something like this came along and provide what so many players asked for.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by dontadow

Originally posted by Arkinia

Originally posted by Valentina

If this game had a sub fee, you're right. It probably would fail eventually, but it would start off strong like everything else thats hyped up does. This game doesn't have an end-game which will be a problem for it no matter what anyone says, long term players want end-game, and that's the majority of people. People rush through the progression point of MMO's to get to an end-game, and if there isn't one they will just leave, hell, people have left for less then that in this genre. GW2's strength on top of it's "polishedness" will be that there's no subscription so that people don't bother uninstalling the game, and continue to jump in regularly to check things out.

The majority of MMO players are not hard core PvPer's these days, and I can't help but feel that this whole WvW thing while cool initially, will have it's glaring flaws that people gripe over incessently. We've seen this happen in every game that's attempted it and people in these communities like to bi*ch about any and everything. ArenaNet will need to find some way of keeping people extensively entertained outside of PvP, and obviously outside of end-game PvE.

you better be careful, you may wake up he children with such blasphemy.

Don't like endgame WvW, play the many dungeons and their 4 different storylines. Don't like that, tour the world and take out the dynamnic events,. Don't like that do your personal story or venture others with theirs.  Heart Quests, mini- games, puzzle dungeons etc.  There are plenty other things to do when your character gets to 80.  

This thread is the equivalent of says that a platform game will fail because it doesn't have a creature that throws hammers at you.  

wait a minute. There were guys throwing hammers at me in Mario 1, is that what this game is like? If so, I'm in!

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

OK, some of those concerns seem reasonable to me, some not so much. I have only played subscription games, but I'm seeing more and more games moving toward this hybrid model, including TSW and D3 (which seems the most egregious cash grab). Not that this justifies it, but I am hoping that upon release, ANet will maintain the idea that cash shop items should be 1) cosmetic or 2) convenience. I don't care if people pay $5 for a different shade of red, just like I don't care if they pay $25 for a sparklepony in WoW. Perhaps I am naive, but I am hoping that ANet is using the feedback from betas to see what people will accept and what they will not, and at the end of the day, the game will maintain the idea that skill will determine success or failure in both PvE or WvW.

Still, you are clearly spending a lot of time and energy on this issue, and I don't get it. Are you trying to get ANet to change these things, or convince people not to play because of them, or are you posting on multiple forums where the games have cash shops to try and stop the practice? And weren't details of the cash shop under NDA across the board, even for press?

1) Yes, I am hoping if enough people complain loudly enough Anet will back away from the most egregious items.  I am losing hope in that however

2) I am not trying to convince people not to buy, they need to make their own judgements.  But I am willing to spend the time to educate people in what Anet is trying to do here.  To me the worst thing is many people have not done the research to see how bad this cash shop is getting and how it is affecting the game mechanics.

3) I have posted in other forums regarding cash shops before.  Right now, GW2's is the flavor of the year in upcoming MMOs so it is the most actively discussed.  I also find their rapid changes to cash shop philosphy and admission that the game was built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind very disturbing for a game they are charging $60 for.

4) I have not signed any NDA I can talk as much as I want about the cash shop if people are willing to listen.  But I'm sure Anet are trying to keep the cash shop under wraps, it is very appalling in my opinion.

LOL, yeah ANet got eaten by a company like EA. NOT image

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

"If this game had a subscription fee it would fail."

LMAO! omg LMAO oh oh god yeah that was a great laugh, thanks for that, sniff cough ahem.

Yeah love how you completely ignore the fact that Anet doesn't do ANYTHING without informing the public, whether it be the testing press in the closed beta or everyone else once their NDA is up. Everything they have done everyone who's watching this title and the info they are putting out on their own website knows about. So there won't be any surprises. So there won't be this scenario after launch :  " From experience people would leave in droves once they found out the game had zero progressive pve endgame content. " unless it's by complete morons who don't pay attention.

Rift is holding on because gamers want more solo content I know i was there, SWTOR is bleeding subs because they didn't live up to their grandeos design promises so neither one of those things are like GW2.

End-game isn't everything to the majority of the community. Sorry to burst your bubble but ever since 2008 a larger group of gamers have arisen and it is this group, the casual gamers, that have been outspoken about how stupid and outdated the hardcore gaming design in mmo's were using.

The majority of gamers are now people of all walks of life, who are tired of the "work" games that are essentially one's second job to do anything fun. Gone are the days of this design, the last nail in the coffin is SWTOR and good riddence to this design model. The future is spoken for and it is a glorious future of casuals. Either adapt or get off. It's that simple.

I've seen all kinds of changes in games that were once considered hard core and i can tell you it's not because of a minority, if a minority of players were the cause the companies wouldn't blink an eye, the majority has spoken and the devs have seen the $$ numbers and the REAL numbers show that the tiny few hard core players don't make up the majority of the revenue sources. The tiny few hardcore players will have to adapt to survive just as the casual gamers adapted to enjoy what little bit one could enjoy in the so called Hardcore encarnations of this genre before we became outspoken.

If you want lord your possessions over the rest of the world laughing while you gank, become a murderous billionaire, that's the only way you will be able to continue with what being hardcore really IS in the gaming world.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

If World of Warcraft didn't have a subscription fee it would fail.

WHAT!??!

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

To gainesvilleg

Your opinion isn't shared that widely yet you keep singing the same song. You say people haven't researched. Well I say when you look for problems you will be sure to find some. Most of us are wise enough to wait and judge until we have some experience ourselves without jumping to conclusions. Like your key drop being less then the chest drop rate which is nothing but wild speculation. Furthermore why dump chests when you can sell them, but it's better for your argument if you ignore such things of course. 

Your upscaling argument is also unsound because you ASSUME that you would get vastly more exp if you were upscaled to higher content. I wager you'd get thesame exp as if you were doing your own level content due to what is know about downscaling still giving exp andloot for the level you actually are. again it's easier to assume your line of thought is correct because it sounds better with your P2W litany.

The Megaphone, though removed, to me sounded like a way to draw attention to an event not like you assume as the only way to communicate with the server.

You assume way to much without any real knowledge. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No I think many people would sub just for the decent pvp. Eve apart (which isn't for everyone) there's no big mmos out their with good pvp.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

[snip]

Yes I have seen the items.  Several are repugnant:

1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->RvRvR Boosts = CLEAR pay2win

[snip]

/facepalm to the max, this crap again sigh.

get over it, all games will eventually be cash shop free 2 play or freemium titles because of the economic times. Unless you can personally perform miracles you won't be making a difference by being monsters-under-the-bridge on forums. The problems are in RL and the games are not the problem.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

From experience people would leave in droves once they found out the game had zero progressive pve endgame content. 

Small man dungeons aren't enough. If they were Rift would still have 800k subs and SWTOR wouldn't be bleeding players atm.

Endgame is everything to the majority of the mmorpg community and GW2 has very little meaningful endgame content. 

A-net has gone out of their way to say they do not care if people stick with GW2 because they know the game has no reason for you to commit to it. THat's proof enough to me that the game is lacking in anytype of endgame content that traditional games have.

I'll still buy it because it doesn't have a sub and im sure many of you have said the same thing.

First off, we dont know anything about PvE Endgame Content right now. At least not for PvE. But as GW was allways a PvP Game with PvE Content, we know what we will get. Also when going through all Vids, we get a rebirth of DaoC. And that, im so sure about, will be very attractive for the Veterans.

Second thing is, that Raid's are not "THE" Endcontet at all. It is so because all other Games out there let us think that this is the "one thing" every Game has to have. But that's just wrong. And for PvP'ers, where GW2 is aiming for, it is for sure not the "Heavens Gate".

And i can tell you......there is a shitload of good PvP'ers out there. And soon, when word goes around to WAR or old DaoC Players, they all will join the WvWvW PvP which is just so awesome.

My2 cent.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Yeah because no-one stays around playing non-mmo online games like CoD and Battlefield do they (that's sarcasm for people who dont get sarcasm)

Small man dungeons aren't enough......for you personally. Good thing that small man dungeons aren't the only thing on offer. If they were Rift would still have 800k subs and SWTOR wouldn't be bleeding players atm.

Of course the notion that some players might stop playing those games for other reasons is impossible to consider

Thanks for speaking on behalf of the majority of the mmorpg community. It's good to know that you are around to tell us all what we really think. I wish I could personally know what is in the mind of every person who plays mmos but sadly I lack your magic/psychic/super powers.

......actually forget that. I wouldn't want to know that at all (*shudders*)

A-net has gone out of their way to say they do not care if people stick with GW2 because they know the game has no reason for you to commit to it.

Exactly. It's a game, not a job. No-one has to "commit" themselves to a game. You play it to have fun and then when you feel like doing something else you......stop playing it and do something else. That's why no sub fee is such a good idea. You can hop in and out whenever you feel like it, just like nearly every other online game on the market. Mmos with sub fees are the anomaly.

That's proof enough to me that the game is lacking in anytype of endgame content that traditional games have.

GW2 isn't trying to be a "traditional" mmo. That's exactly what ArenaNet are trying not to be. You seem to be a bit confused about what the product ArenaNet is putting out actually is.

So there is no problem then. I hope to see more non-traditional mmos in the future with no sub fees. I'm glad you are supporting this with your wallet.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

I am going to reply to this simply because of how stupid the OPs theory is and the fact that it has been refuted by studies and research many times before.

ALL previous studies and reserch have shown that less then 10% of all MMORPG players ever participate in end game raid content. More then 40% of MMORPG players participate in competitive PVP. Between 70 and 80% of players polled play MMORPGs just for the fun of levelling up characters and enjoying the stories and quests.

Now when I read these stats that was back in late 2010. But I seriously doubt anything has changed proportionally over the last 2 years that didnt change in the 15 years prior.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

I am going to reply to this simply because of how stupid the OPs theory is and the fact that it has been refuted by studies and research many times before.

ALL previous studies and reserch have shown that less then 10% of all MMORPG players ever participate in end game raid content. More then 40% of MMORPG players participate in competitive PVP. Between 70 and 80% of players polled play MMORPGs just for the fun of levelling up characters and enjoying the stories and quests.

Now when I read these stats that was back in late 2010. But I seriously doubt anything has changed proportionally over the last 2 years that didnt change in the 15 years prior.

and with this statement I think all there is left is to ask if  we can end this discussion now ! can we ?

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Obvious troll topic lol

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

Honestly, I just take one look at a decent 1080p video, and whether it was subscription or not I'd play the **** out of GW2.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Zezda

I would still buy and and pay as much as £15 a month to play GW2, even if it had the current Cash Shop store.

I however cannot bring myself to play another MMO such as AoC/WAR/AION/EQ2/WoW/RIFT/SW:TOR and in fact they would need to pay *me* before I even stop laughing at the idea.

Guess you were wrong in your assumptions then.

Exactly. This thread is pretty humorous and clearly created with one intention when you consider that this game offers more, even much more, than the vast majority of subscription MMORPGs. It may just offer the most game, at launch, than any MMORPG to date.

Add on top of that the fact that the game was designed from the ground up to avoid or address most of the negatives of status quo MMORPG design and one can start to understand the frustration that lead to this thread and most of the negative comments here in. It' looks to be a broader and better game than the games people are paying a subscription to play, but there is no subscription fee to play it. GW2 not only redefines the MMORPG genre, but it makes many fans of every subscription based MMORPG out there feel like they are being ripped off by their game of choice!

Of course, there must be something wrong with GW2. Some flaw that they can point at to justify what appears to be a huge disparity in value, which just leads to a lot of grasping at straws and self deluding misinformation.

At least they can fall back on their game of choice for grindy, linear, quest hub driven game play and endless "end game" gear inflation treadmills. Arenanet had to leave a niche or two for other games you know, as no game can be everything for everybody, (though GW2 seems to offer much for most).

Buy to Play would have sent ripples through the genre even if paired with a some what less than full AAA MMORPG offering. That the game appears to take on the best subscription based titles in the space and looks very good in comparison might just mean those ripples become a tsunami.

I often ask "Exactly what does your subscription based MMO offer that GW2 doesn't offer just for the box price"? Well?

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

This discussion has been closed.