Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Further Mass Effect 3 Ending DLC Planned

Comments

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Lol! I don't how the ending is for ME3, but people really have been getting creative with their reactions on it. Nice pic image

I'm not against bad endings in general, I've been getting annoyed with the chronic need of people (American driven? European media has it less) to always have happy endings to their stories, movies and games. But granted, I haven't seen the ME endings, so no idea how pessimistic the endings are in it. In general, I wish writers and movie/book/game makers would get more creative and gutsy with endings than the eternal 'and they lived happily ever after and walked towards the sunrise' ending in all its gooey variants.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I don't think people just want "a happy ending" they want an ending that makes sense.

I love beautiful tragedy types of endings. Romeo and Juliet type.

I just want an ending to ME3 that makes sense, so until Bioware proves how far they have really fallen, I will hold out hope for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck being true.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

You honestly believe that EA has any interest in "artistic integrity"? You're a dreamer.

Bioware was the creator of classic and beloved series like NWN and KOTOR and others. To end a series, their BEST series, in this way is a horrendous disservice to the great RPG makers they were before they became part of the EA Harbinger. EA only wants the cash they can extract from the game, story/lore be damned. I don't begrudge them that by any means. But to have done the greatness of Mass Effect this terrible disservice is atrocious.

This ending was poorly thought out and violates the canon of lore behind the entire series. They removed the principals from the original ME and the ending was cobbled together and slapped on with no sense of closure. There is ample evidence out there that the writers were not included in the writing of the ending. Just google it. Better yet, go to the Demand a Better Ending Facebook page or to http://www.holdtheline.com to check it all out.

Artistic integrity my foot. That's a cop out plain and simple.

By the way: These are MY opinions only as a player and as a huge fan of Mass Effect.

Would anyone actually take a new ending seriously? When has that ever been done? I don't care about the excuses from either side, the ending happend, I have no idea what it was, as I didn't play ME3, but that's the ending. Many games or series of games have had horrible endings, KOTOR2 anyone? Not once have I seen anything like this. WHat's next a new ending to Harry Potter so they can get the battle just right?

So anyone wanna spill the beans on what sort of canon that was violated here?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

... but if Shepard's Indoctrination theory pans out to be true, it'll be the greatest and most completely ridiculous risk any video game company has made.

Purposefully release a game with a terrible ending only to show later how it's not really terrible at all, it just never actually happened.

WHAT?!?!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by BadSpock

... but if Shepard's Indoctrination theory pans out to be true, it'll be the greatest and most completely ridiculous risk any video game company has made.

Purposefully release a game with a terrible ending only to show later how it's not really terrible at all, it just never actually happened.

WHAT?!?!

ROFl if that's the case, ROFL, that's all I got... Maybe a LMAO

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Bioware is no stranger to controversy.

Releasing a game with a fake ending... taking all this flak for it... on purpose?

Would go down in history as the coolest shit ever.

But then I look at TOR and that spark of hope kind of dies a bit...

But come on, 95% of ME3 was awesome, absolutely amazing, no WAY Bioware would simply "run out" and do a shitty rush job at the ending.

It's a set up.

It HAS to be...

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Releasing a game with a fake ending... taking all this flak for it... on purpose?

Well, they did implement same sex relationships in their games. Not many game companies that do that or dare to.

But I don't see why a bad ending needs to be changed. Sounds like their plan of providing additional enlightenment of what happened in all cases is the best thing to do imo. Depends on what information is shared though.

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Well, they did implement same sex relationships in their games. Not many game companies that do that or dare to.

But I don't see why a bad ending needs to be changed. Sounds like their plan of providing additional enlightenment of what happened in all cases is the best thing to do imo. Depends on what information is shared though.

There are SO many holes that need to be plugged though.

Probably be LESS work to just do a new ending via Indocrtination Theory then plug that many freaking plot holes. It really is terrible...

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by RealPvPisFPS

I liked the ending to Mass Effect 3 it was very emotional for Shepard to finally die and with him the Mass Effect franchise is over as Bioware has stated.

However the first Mass Effect is still the best one out of all three. The first one had the best planet sequences and the vehicle. Mass Effect 2 added it later on via DLC but didn't work well with the planet surfaces only for that stupid hovercarft.

So as many people were mad about the ending to ME3 I was totally p!ssed off they did the same planet sequences as in ME2 and no vehicle, What The Hell! ? Might come in a DLC but it will be the same ignorant idea as in ME2. That and Bioware ending the franchise???? Who made that incredibly stupid decision? Mass Effect is one of their best titles and they decide to end it????

They can't make more with a different character as the main instead of Shepard?

I don't know.....but that's what I'm mad about.

They can mae prequels  <shudder.> or sequals thousands of years later after the the civilizations thatn that Shepard sent back to the stone age have a chance to recover, (ie supernova'ing of the relays etc) but overall it won't be ME 3 anymore especially if the player chose to turn all life in the galaxy into souless reaper spawn ie husks, banshee's and reapers themselves are all bio-organic. (asimulation)

• ByzokByzok Member UncommonPosts: 8

We can all sit here and argue over this all day.  The ending was not what you wanted, deal with it.  What about the journey to the ending?  I do not know about you, but I had a blast and played the game every free minute I had, staying up later then I should going to work tired.  Now I did not love the ending, but I am not going to sit here and cry about it.  I was not part of the developing team, so I have no clue what really happened, I could sit here and speculate like everyone else.  I heard this from x source or look at scene x at this moment, the writers would never do that!  I love how some people are like EA did it!  I do not believe for one second EA came in and was like this is how you end the ME franchise.  I know if I was a part of the development team though and  a lot of poeple hated how the game ended I would let EA take the blame and just let people think it was their fault.  Someone high up in the development team choose the ending, I do not think they all probably agreed on how to end it just like in life do people all usually agree on one thing.  But to think enough crying would actually get them to change the ending would be insane.  You do it once, you will be expected to do it again and again.  I think they wanted people to discuss the ending and debate over it.  They probably did not expect the amount of out cry  hat they did get.  To say you will not buy another bioware game is funny.  What company does a better story then BIO?  Maybe the company that did the witcher, loved that game.  But everyone has a right to their opinion, so think what you will.

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

Originally posted by Jenuviel

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

I've already uninstalled Mass Effect 2, I was going to replay it under the assumption that they were fixing the endings, but I think I'll just give up now. That ending kills any replay value and I can't see how any 'extended mix' is going to help.

Wall of text begins now:

Disappointed.

This.

And, frankly, why can't there be an ending that offers a ray of hope to me as a player and to my character that I've invested so much time into building to be like the me I wish I was (heroic, saving the galaxy, blah blah blah)? Have the dark endings. Have the destroy the known galaxy and die if you wish. But why not also offer the flip side of the coin?

Because, asking for a new ending that is unrelated to the actual ones (a happy ending) undermines the artistic integrity of the game.

You honestly believe that EA has any interest in "artistic integrity"? You're a dreamer.

Bioware was the creator of classic and beloved series like NWN and KOTOR and others. To end a series, their BEST series, in this way is a horrendous disservice to the great RPG makers they were before they became part of the EA Harbinger. EA only wants the cash they can extract from the game, story/lore be damned. I don't begrudge them that by any means. But to have done the greatness of Mass Effect this terrible disservice is atrocious.

This ending was poorly thought out and violates the canon of lore behind the entire series. They removed the principals from the original ME and the ending was cobbled together and slapped on with no sense of closure. Go to the Demand a Better Ending Facebook page or to http://www.holdtheline.com to check it all out.

Artistic integrity my foot. That's a cop out plain and simple.

By the way: These are MY opinions only as a player and as a huge fan of Mass Effect.

No, I do not believe EA has any integrity at all. Infact, just yesterday I said EA is to video games what Bank of America is to America.

However, there is a huge push in the industry for video games to be considered an artistic medium. And to the general populace, EA is the face of gaming (or one of the biggest). By asking for a company to break the artistic integrity of their products undermines all the efforts of the rest of the industry who do wish for video games to be considered an artistic medium. Especially since Bioware (EA) has already PUBLICALLY pulled the artistic integrity card in defense of their endings.

Now that being said, critiquing the ending of a game and pointing out the piss poor writing and story-telling that went into the ending is absolutely acceptable. Video games fall into a grey area about fixing it, as its quite possible to patch bad-writing and plot holes. I, personally, feel that does not compromise artistic integrity. However, the ending theme of Mass Effect 3 was the ultimate sacrifice of Shephard's Life. By demanding an ending where Shephard lives does undermine artistic integrity, and pushes back the industry's efforts as a whole, imo.

*As pointed out later, my last two sentences are incorrect, allow me to fix them:

However, the ending theme of Mass Effect 3 was the destruction of the known galaxy. Demanding a happy ending where the galaxy is not destroyed, does undermine artistic integrity, and pushes back the industry's efforts as a whole, imo.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

They shouldn''t have caved in like that.

THAT is what made me lose respect for them. Either stand by your product, or don''t release it.

The problem is that ME3 was 95% awesome and amazing.

But the last 10 minutes were just... absolutely terrible.

There is no subjective or opinion on it either.

It is factual that compared the rest of the game, to the rest of the SERIES, the last 10 minutes of ME3 didn't make any god damn sense. At all.

It's like they handed the development to another studio who had never played the previous games or played a minute of ME3.

It really is that bad.

People aren't just angry because it wasn't a "happy" ending, people are angry because it was literally that absolutely ridiculously without a doubt TERRIBLE.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by gestalt11

Originally posted by eddieg50

Good, I loved the ending of me3, hey life is not disney land

Life is internally consistent.  ME3's endings are not even close.

This isn't about not having a happy ending and going to disneyland.  Its that fact that there are numerous glaring plotholes and inconsistencies. 

The "fans are upset because there is no happey ending" meme is this discussions version of using an ad hominen to counter a valid argument.

Life is anything but consistent, if it was we would all have perfect lives. You could be living a great life and walk out to the street and get run over.  I guess I could sit down and thoroughly analyze me3 if I wanted to but why? I am happy that bioware did away with the annoying mini games, the annoying vehicles, etc the story line is not quite as good as me2 but only cause in me2 we met new characters and the story line was all about fleshing out their lives, in me3 it was a continuation of that and the final chapter , that being said the story line was still very good.   The ending with the kid was a little jarring but you have to remember the kid appeared throughout me3 and was a mystery.  Al in all most people hated on me3 because they think Shepard dies,(the Disney land effect)  There  are also a vocal minority who took apart the whole story and are picking out flaws. I just enjoyed the game for what it was a very emotional, raw, visceral story.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

But then I look at TOR and that spark of hope kind of dies a bit...

But come on, 95% of ME3 was awesome, absolutely amazing, no WAY Bioware would simply "run out" and do a shitty rush job at the ending.

It's a set up.

It HAS to be...

I think they ran out of time and had to rush the ending. SWTOR wasn't as huge as EA had hoped and to make the quarter look more positive EA pushed for a march release instead of waiting. So I do not see one big conspiracy about it being preplanned.

Originally posted by gestalt11

Good, I loved the ending of me3, hey life is not disney land

Life is internally consistent.  ME3's endings are not even close.

This isn't about not having a happy ending and going to disneyland.  Its that fact that there are numerous glaring plotholes and inconsistencies. 

The "fans are upset because there is no happey ending" meme is this discussions version of using an ad hominen to counter a valid argument.

Life is anything but consistent, if it was we would all have perfect lives. You could be living a great life and walk out to the street and get run over...

I just want to point out that your example is perfectly consistent. If it was inconsistent you would step outside and get run over while there are no vehicles in a 20 mile radius. Consistency is defined on a macroscopic scale. In a microscopic view, there is no consistency.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

By demanding an ending where Shephard lives does undermine artistic integrity, and pushes back the industry's efforts as a whole, imo.

You realize that one of the endings showed Shepard alive on Earth. So your entire argument is basically null and void.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The problem is that ME3 was 95% awesome and amazing.

But the last 10 minutes were just... absolutely terrible.

There is no subjective or opinion on it either.

It is factual that compared the rest of the game, to the rest of the SERIES, the last 10 minutes of ME3 didn't make any god damn sense. At all.

It's like they handed the development to another studio who had never played the previous games or played a minute of ME3.

It really is that bad.

People aren't just angry because it wasn't a "happy" ending, people are angry because it was literally that absolutely ridiculously without a doubt TERRIBLE.

This.

Well said though I'd like a happy ending. Why not give people choices rather than only one: Destroy the known galaxy and everyone in it and die. That, quite simply, sucks.

And life isn't consistent. Our lives are filled with anxiety and worry and a lot more bad stuff which is why I play games in the first place. I want something different from what I experience every day of my life. Bioware gave me Shepard and allowed her to save the galaxy twice before ME3. She's heroic and bold. Bioware made us love our Shepards AND the people she met in her journey. To think that anyone would be satisfied with an ending that basically nullifies everything she was is a slap in the face to all of us who, by extension, became Shepard. There should be an option for life or death, destruction or salvation.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Originally posted by Connmacart

By demanding an ending where Shephard lives does undermine artistic integrity, and pushes back the industry's efforts as a whole, imo.

You realize that one of the endings showed Shepard alive on Earth. So your entire argument is basically null and void.

I may have used a poor theme choice there, but is the fact that shephard lives considered a happy ending? In all the endings there is total destruction of the mass relays and essentially the earth is doomed. Geez having to watch that sounds like a worse ending than shephard dieing.

I have also corrected my post with a valid ending theme.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

ME3. What happens when a devloper's head gets so far up their own ass, they cease to exist.

After watching so many excellent game companies die under the heel of EA, and their last two gaming fiascos, I see little point in refering to Bioware as anything but EA from now on.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• BigDave7481BigDave7481 Member Posts: 298

I'm going to chime in here.  First off I've never played ME but this whole controversy over ME3 endings has peaked my interest, atleast in the story.  So, take what I say very loosely.  

From what I've read/watched from ME3 and it's endings is that Bioware were shooting for the Indoctrination theory.  You were given two bad endings and one happy ending (not really happy).  First the two bad endings ended with Shepard dieing and Reapers continue on or Shepard becoming synthesized witch neither are good.  Or you could choose the "happy ending" where Shepard is seen breathing at the end BUT for him to survive and remove the Reaper threat he had to make a "bad" decision in killing off all synthetic life.  This is actually an old plot line from many past stories.  Do you sacrifice few to save many?  It also asks the moral question of whether synthetic life (machines) are just as important as human life (organic).  Are they even considered living?  There was a line in the Shepard Indoctrination video where someone who said that there were hard decisions in the future that they weren't equiped to make and I think this directly applies to this choice.

But here is the problem.  Gamers are not used to this level of depth in games.  Games usually have less attention spent on story line and more work put into the game itself.  The depth of the endings (Indoctrination theory) is the kind of stuff you would expect to see in a novel, film (think Inception) or Lore outside the game itself.

Like I said though, take my opinion loosely cause I've played none of the games.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by BigDave7481

I'm going to chime in here.  First off I've never played ME but this whole controversy over ME3 endings has peaked my interest, atleast in the story.  So, take what I say very loosely.  

From what I've read/watched from ME3 and it's endings is that Bioware were shooting for the Indoctrination theory.  You were given two bad endings and one happy ending (not really happy).  First the two bad endings ended with Shepard dieing and Reapers continue on or Shepard becoming synthesized witch neither are good.  Or you could choose the "happy ending" where Shepard is seen breathing at the end BUT for him to survive and remove the Reaper threat he had to make a "bad" decision in killing off all synthetic life.  This is actually an old plot line from many past stories.  Do you sacrifice few to save many?  It also asks the moral question of whether synthetic life (machines) are just as important as human life (organic).  Are they even considered living?  There was a line in the Shepard Indoctrination video where someone who said that there were hard decisions in the future that they weren't equiped to make and I think this directly applies to this choice.

But here is the problem.  Gamers are not used to this level of depth in games.  Games usually have less attention spent on story line and more work put into the game itself.  The depth of the endings (Indoctrination theory) is the kind of stuff you would expect to see in a novel, film (think Inception) or Lore outside the game itself.

Like I said though, take my opinion loosely cause I've played none of the games.

Personally I think the whole indoctrination theory is a load of old wank. Its people looking for depth and meaning in a plot that didn't have any. Fans have done this with books and films forever. Should we also run to the old literay conspiracy theory that Sheppard is a Christ figure?

My opinion, Bioware got so caught up in the idea of an EPIC last hurrah, that they forgot players aren't here for the show, they are here to be a part of a favored game world.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186

So I have had ME1, ME2 CE, and recently ME3 CE. I played through quite a bit of ME1, started playing ME3 when I got it.

One thing I don't see mentioned anywhere is that Mass Effect is a game reboot of the tv series called Babylon 5.

Why is that relevant?

Because Babylon 5, even in the rushed 4th season, had a satisfactory and believable conclusion. It fucking won awards left and right. Mass Effect chose to rip off everything from Babylon 5 but the fucking ending? Bullshit. I'm going to guess that this was where the artistic direction decided to stray from what had already been laid out in Babylon 5, and they failed abysmally at it.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• BigDave7481BigDave7481 Member Posts: 298

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by BigDave7481

Personally I think the whole indoctrination theory is a load of old wank. Its people looking for depth and meaning in a plot that didn't have any. Fans have done this with books and films forever. Should we also run to the old literay conspiracy theory that Sheppard is a Christ figure?

My opinion, Bioware got so caught up in the idea of an EPIC last hurrah, that they forgot players aren't here for the show, they are here to be a part of a favored game world.

Exactly, I agree.  Bioware go caught up in making an epic ending and forgot that they were making a FPS game and not a movie or  book.  However, I still believe they were going for the Indoctrination theory.  Hopefully the DLC will prove or disprove that.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Seriously what do you people expect?

EA flat out stated last year they bought bioware for its nameand reputation only and were going to outsource all the development and milk as much profit out of it as they could.

I mean its not a secret this is what EA has always done, do you really think this time it is going to be different?