Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New York State Bans Sex Offenders From Online Gaming

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by astoria

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by brody71

Originally posted by DarkPony

Hmm, good or bad depends on your definition of "sex offender".

Looking how anal (no pun intended) sex offenses can be in the US I don't think this is such a great idea. Not sure about this but I once read an article about a 21ish year old guy having a normal relationship with a 17 year old girl and that making him a sex offender as well. I think that is slightly draconic, but whatever ...

They should only restrict this to the actual "predators", who have been convicted for stalking and trying to groom minors (or worse).

um, yeah a 21 year old with a 17yr old is considered rape.   and the 21yr old would be considered, and is a predator.   the 17yr is a minor.

this is true in the US? Or does it depend on state?

wow, didnt know that. In the UK this would be perfectally legal.

it depends on the state. Many U.S. states have an age range in addition to the under 18 clause. For example, a 17 and a 19 year old would not be illegal in many states. I know a few it is 4 years. Best advice, do her mom until she's of age.

Seriously though, this is obviously a reponse to Tera's imminent release.

Good example is this from the Pennsylvania legal code:

§ 3122.1. Statutory sexual assault.

Except as provided in section 3121 (relating to rape), a person commits a felony of the second degree when that person engages in sexual intercourse with a complainant under the age of 16 years and that person is four or more years older than the complainant and the complainant and the person are not married to each other.

Florida has a similar provision, but they make no allowances for people under 16, it's a crime regardless.

But back to the OP, seems like it would be tough to enforce, not like sex offenders won't use fake emails and payment card to get into online games, so it's more for show than go in this case.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Four0Six

Originally posted by st4t1ck

*snipage*

This is kinda crazy, there are a lot of things stupid about the sex offender laws, in michigan public urination can be a Sex offense and make you register as a sex offender

what bothers me the most is what happened to "do the crime pay the time"  you are punished you get sentanced to 5 years you get out and you find that you pretty much still being punished in every way

Lol ... seriously?

"That'll be no more online gaming for you mister tree sprinkler!"

"Don't taze me bro ..."

"BZzzzzt"

It is all funny...until it is done in front of an elementary school, in front of a bunch of 8 year olds...

Yes, of course. The horror. Those kids will be marred for life with traumas. They'll be staring through windows and absent mindedly drawing pictures of bearded one eyed snakes for years to come. We shouldn't want that.

OMG!!!  TOO LATE!!!

(Some drawings of bearded, one-eyed "Snakes")

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

*snipage*

This is kinda crazy, there are a lot of things stupid about the sex offender laws, in michigan public urination can be a Sex offense and make you register as a sex offender

what bothers me the most is what happened to "do the crime pay the time"  you are punished you get sentanced to 5 years you get out and you find that you pretty much still being punished in every way

Lol ... seriously?

"Don't taze me bro ..."

"BZzzzzt"

It is all funny...until it is done in front of an elementary school, in front of a bunch of 8 year olds...

i agree but that is totally different then stubmling out back a bar at 2 a.m and pissing by the dumpster

I agree. I am all about punishing actual child sexual predators. But even if the gaggle of 8 y/o elementary students saw a drunk guy pissing in the bushes should he then be branded as a sex offender for life? Somehow I think they would get over it. He may be guilty of bad judgement and should be punished for it, but sex offender? no way.

Now standing in front of an elementary school window flashing the 8 y/o class intentionally is another thing.

I wont even touch on how wrong branding someone as a sex offender for public urination is. They will carry that for the rest of their life, effect every facet of it. Sometimes a drunken piss is just that, god knows I have pissed by many a dumpster behind the bar at 2 am. Does that make me a sex offender just because some law says so?

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

The thing is, in my state, most sex offenders are pretty much banned from internet usage anyway. 

And every state does have its own definition of age of consent laws. 

I have no problem with any sexual predator being banned from online gaming, but the thing it, most of them are already banned from internet useage anyway, or even owning a computer. So, as someone above me said, kind of a non story.

That said, anecdote time. My best friend is a customs enforcement officer for Canada. They get to read pretty much the entire criminal record of any US citizen crossing the border, and anytime a crime comes up that could deny them entry, they have to determine the nature of the crim before allowing or disallowing entry.

A guy on a business trip comes through and is flagged as a sex offender. Upon further investigation, this guy was driving and have having phone sex with his wife on his was home from a business trip. He was speeding, got pulled over and caught with his pants down, so to speak. Banning him from online gaming would seem pretty harsh to me.

I have no problem with the nature of the law, but enforcement would be difficult, and it could be applied to people who are not in fact, sexual predators. Relable the law, Sexual Predators are banned from online gaming, and I would have much less issue with it.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by BartDaCat

*snipage*

OMG!!!  TOO LATE!!!

Oh dear ... for the love of god take those pictures down before WhiteLantern sees them ...

This will not end well.

V_V

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

Originally posted by kilun

Originally posted by fenistil

Looking how anal (no pun intended) sex offenses can be in the US I don't think this is such a great idea. Not sure about this but I once read an article about a 21ish year old guy having a normal relationship with a 17 year old girl and that making him a sex offender as well. I think that is slightly draconic, but whatever ...

They should only restrict this to the actual "predators", who have been convicted for stalking and trying to groom minors (or worse).

um, yeah a 21 year old with a 17yr old is considered rape.   and the 21yr old would be considered, and is a predator.   the 17yr is a minor.

yes 18 is legal adult age. 

Same as here, though the age of sexual consent is 16.

+ 1

Age of sexual consent is diffrent from legal adult age in many countries. Heck even in some (just in some though) states in USA is lower than legal adult age.

In some countries it is even taken far.  For example age of sexual consent depends on what age second peerson you have sex is.

Cause it is uterrly (imho) stupid for in example 18 year old go to prison & punished for having sex with other person which is for example 16-17 year old.

In some countries it is done like for example:

- legal age - 18

- general age of sexual consent - 16 (but under more law protection till 18 , ie law is sticter towards predator if some problem arise)

BUT 

- age of sexual consent can be f.e 15 if second person is 17-18 ,etc 

Law obviosuly have to give boundaries but at same time it have to be sane. Cause punishing very severely one person of sleeping with "minor" when diffrence between them is like 1-3 years is dumb in first place. 

End of rant.

you may think it's dumb but as a parent i would not want my 15yr old daughter having relations with an 18yr old.  and i would press charges and send his child molesting ass to jail.

Good luck with that, most states have a state limit, Ohio for example is just a misdemeanor(M1).  Secondly until your daughter is in that situation you really can't say that.  What if its your best friends son who is 2 1/2 years old than your daughter? Or vice versa.

Anyways the legal age of consent in most states is 16.  Meaning that 52 yearold person can go have sex with 16 yearold and nothing can be done about it if the 16 year old consented. (Yes I would not doubt deem that 52 yearold as a sick creep, but according to the law jack can be done about it.  Same thing if in Kentucky you decided to get married at 14 to so 50 year old sicko.  Oh well)

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2907.04

Eh if a mother wanted revenge bad enough all they have to do is get the media involved and get the prosecutor to go for it regardless or coerce someone into taking a plea bargin which will get them registered. You might say you could just show it was not illegal and therefor can't be charged with a crime, but there have been cases where the wrong "John Smith" was registered as a sex offender and it is hard as hell for them to get removed from the list. Some local authorities flat out refuse, add the right "John Smith" to the list and keep the wrong one on too. What I'm trying to say is there are a lot of morons in are Criminal Justice system.

Anyways most people think the age of consent(where you can sleep with anyone, regardless of age) is 18, because all tv shows depict it as 18 or movies. Of course thats because in California it is 18, and thats where most of the stuff comes from. Other states, for instance here in New Mexico, the age of consent is 17. Some states go as low as 16, but thats as low as it goes as far as that. However, we do have a law, I think its called the Romeo and Juliet law, which adds another element to this. It sets a 4 year gap, which would mean that if a girl is 15, and the guy is 18 or even 19, they can have sex and technically the parents of the girl couldn't do anything about it other then forbid her from seeing him. Now like I said, the defendent could just be coerced or the prosecutor could work with the media to completly taint the jury pool, but legally, the dude couldn't be charged. I would assume it works the other way around with a older female/younger male.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

My lock got  raped by one mean old rogue in wow. First he ambushed me after that he did some nasty backstab and finished with total humilation from behind. It must be one of this American predators from NY

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

Maybe this explains the proverbial jay-naked ,female toons you see dancing  and running around in the noob starter areas.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by Boatsmate

Maybe this explains the proverbial jay-naked ,female toons you see dancing  and running around in the noob starter areas.

Boats your more of a cynic then i am lol.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by BartDaCat

*snipage*

Lol ... seriously?

"Don't taze me bro ..."

"BZzzzzt"

Yes, of course. The horror. Those kids will be marred for life with traumas. They'll be staring through windows and absent mindedly drawing pictures of bearded one eyed snakes for years to come. We shouldn't want that.

OMG!!!  TOO LATE!!!

Oh my dear Lord!   Uncle Charlie????

/twitch /twitch

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by ProfRed

First, this will be almost impossible to enforce unless they somehow get the ip of each of them.  They can just go make a new gmail account and be on their way.

somewhat true but if you need to use your name and address for billing info -- can get complicated

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/new-york-state-banning-sex-offenders-from-xbox-live/094071?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mcvuk%2Fstream+%28MCV%3A+Home+Stream%29

Some 3,500 accounts have been purged from various gaming services run by Microsoft, Apple, Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Disney, Warner Bros. and Sony.

Each company gave their full consent in the state’s action.

Xbox Live is the only service explicitly mentioned in the announcement, though it would seem PSN, Origin, Game Center, and Battle.net would make sense as well given the companies involved.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Leave it to the crowd at MMORPG.com to defend sex offenders. 

You all know EXACTLY who they are targeting by doing these bans, it seems like you all want to debate this just for the sake of debating...

Bleh...

Although the one-eyed snake drawings were pretty funny.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Exactly, stuff like that. The girl probably is his senior in mental age anyway but the guy can never play online games again because of them having a relationship ... That's kind of crazy in my eyes. Where's the law separating people like that from the actual predators who are actually convicted for online grooming of minors?

considering the article states "3500" offenders. i think there are some limits in place.  i think New York City has more sex offenders than 3500. and that quote is for the whole state.

That statement is made as though all sex offenders are gamers...

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Slampig

You all know EXACTLY who they are targeting by doing these bans, it seems like you all want to debate this just for the sake of debating...

no one is defending pedophiles

much of the debate is how EASY it is to be a sex offender in some states

http://www.economist.com/node/14164614?story_id=14164614&source=hptextfeature

- consenting oral sex between spouses was a sex offender offense in Georgia until 10 years ago

the sodomy law got overturned but people already convicted for it were not removed from the Sex offender registry

USA laws can get pretty stupid like law that got passed this week

Strip Searches now legal for any arrest -- be it driving, walking the dog w no leash, etc

http://news.yahoo.com/strip-searches-supreme-courts-disturbing-decision-101205560.html

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

While I do support not allowing sex offenders access to online gaming, this is another case in 100's of America trying to control the net.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I think the law is completely ridiculous. There isn't enough connection with the criminal act - eg. raping your date after she refuses you sex - and the consequence - being banned from online games.  If anything this new law will increase the acts of physical violence when criminals aren't allowed to spend their free time online and look for other ways to amuse themselves.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Slampig

Bleh...

Although the one-eyed snake drawings were pretty funny.

This is just plain ignorant to believe that anyone is defending sex offenders. What we, or atleast me, would be defending is the right to keep Internet "Free". So things like this and related, like SOPA, is trying to limit access to Internet either directly or indirectly.

So it starts with sex offenders now, then it will move to any kind of offender (petty crime, you name it) and then to political views and ideas and so on. In any case this is fundamentally wrong in the sense that accessing information on internet, which is otherwise publicably accessable, should not be restricted. If some are concerned that it is being used for illegal actions then it is those illegal actions that needs to be curtailed and not accessing of information.

This whole pre-emptive legal action is just nonsense because it goes completely against presumption of innocence. Yes, even offenders with prior convictions need to have this right.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

This made me lol big time. My dad is 5 years older than my mom and when they met she was 16.

According to this my dad would be listed as pedophile.

Needless to say it was my brattish and bossy mom who did the first move...

Harbinger of Fools
  • alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

Originally posted by fenistil

yes 18 is legal adult age. 

Same as here, though the age of sexual consent is 16.

+ 1

Age of sexual consent is diffrent from legal adult age in many countries. Heck even in some (just in some though) states in USA is lower than legal adult age.

In some countries it is even taken far.  For example age of sexual consent depends on what age second peerson you have sex is.

Cause it is uterrly (imho) stupid for in example 18 year old go to prison & punished for having sex with other person which is for example 16-17 year old.

In some countries it is done like for example:

- legal age - 18

- general age of sexual consent - 16 (but under more law protection till 18 , ie law is sticter towards predator if some problem arise)

BUT 

- age of sexual consent can be f.e 15 if second person is 17-18 ,etc 

Law obviosuly have to give boundaries but at same time it have to be sane. Cause punishing very severely one person of sleeping with "minor" when diffrence between them is like 1-3 years is dumb in first place. 

End of rant.

you may think it's dumb but as a parent i would not want my 15yr old daughter having relations with an 18yr old.  and i would press charges and send his child molesting ass to jail.

I live in the EU but i think kids are kids.... 

I have a pretty decent nightlife... the most girls i see getting shared at parties or end up getting 2 boys/men at night are the ones who had very strict parents. My theory is they bottle up everything and when they get legal it`s like opening a well shaken champagne bottle... 

Some stop after a while some don`t and some are happy that way and i`m not a parent so maybe my advice isn`t worth anything, but i`ll still give it: give your kids some freedom when they grow up or they will get it all at once and they might not know how to handle it.

As for the sex predators... if it means an 18y old boy with a 17y old girl, i think it`s ok... even if one is of "legal" age and one is not. (after all it`s not uncommon to see couples where the age difference is much bigger like Madonna, Jennifer Lopez and well, millions of people)  A line should exist, but if two 16y olds want to have sex, why stop them... 

You allow(in the US i mean) 16y olds to drive, potentially killing many people when they speed... but you don`t allow them to have sex with their 18y old bf/gf? 

Also google found this: 

Additionally, Vermont is one of few states in the nation that allow citizens younger than the age of 21 to carry. In Vermont, anyone age 16 or older can carry handguns openly or concealed. For youths under the age of 16, parental consent is needed before a handgun can be carried.

Vermont is one of only three states in America that allows anyone to carry concealed weapons without a permit. The other two states are Alaska and Arizona.

So... they can drive, carry a gun, but no sex.... clearly sex can kill more people compared to the first two. ^.^ 

That said, if by predators they mean child molestors, i say put them on an island or lock them for life so they are never near a child again. And clearly keep them away from video games, a lot of children play them...

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

There was a story about a guy that was charged and registered as a sex offender because someone else pants'ed him in public. People hear "sex offender" and automatically assume there are children involved, but that's not always the case. Like many laws in the US, the terminology is ambiguous and allows too much room for error on the part of prosecutors, whether truly in error or simply a matter of people wanting to win a case.

I have no problem with NY doing this if it takes the actual "crime" into account, but considering the amount of sex offenders, that seems very unlikely. It will more than likely be a blanket law that affects everyone, including people who were questionably charged as sex offenders and any family they have living with them.

Also @ above, the age of consent varies throughout the US. In most states, it's 16, 14 if the sexual partner is less than 5 years of age, but in several states it is 17/18. I ~vaguely~ remember reading that if you are within 2-3 years of the age of your partner that it's not something typically prosecuted unless the parent pushes, but don't quote me on it. Bottom line, keep your hand out of the cradle. And don't get pants'ed.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Starpower

Considering what it takes to be a registered sex offender this is pretty stupid. If you were caught by a cop, getting a bj from your girlfriend behind some bushes in a park a late evening then you can become a registered sex offender. That's just one out of many ways one can get on that list. Not every sex offender is a child predator

I heard back when people were streeking, that is considered a sex offense.  They should put child sex offenders in a special category for this. Better, put them in jail and never let them out.  If they have to register everytime they move then they shouldn't be in public.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Nadia

related article from 2009

Sex laws

Unjust and ineffective

America has pioneered the harsh punishment of sex offenders. Does it work?

http://www.economist.com/node/14164614?story_id=14164614&source=hptextfeature

A report by Sarah Tofte of Human Rights Watch, a pressure group, found that at least five states required men to register if they were caught visiting prostitutes. At least 13 required it for urinating in public (in two of which, only if a child was present). No fewer than 29 states required registration for teenagers who had consensual sex with another teenager. And 32 states registered flashers and streakers.

Ugh ... exactly what I meant. The gaming industry rolling along with that kind of populist, draconic (and frankly INSANE) lawmaking makes me want to file a complaint at Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and the UN too.

It's good to live in the good old EU when I read things like that.

I must say EU does have many things right. I wish the US was more open to things the EU take for granted. Like sex, nudity, casual drug use, ect.

And no I am not advocating drug use or child molestation. But some guy who smokes a doobie and drops $50 on a hooker should not be in prison and labeled a sex offender.

I was born and raised in the US and even I can see just how crazy those examples Pony listed above are.

And to address the above post claiming this community is defending child sex criminals. Really? you cant tell the difference in child predators and some 18 y/o having sex with his 17y/o gf? or the guy who made a bad call and pissed somewhere in public? Or the college guy who streaked through the commons area on a dare?

Just because some political asshats think laws are a good idea does not make them right. Prosecute the real sex criminals. Leave the drunk pissers and college streakers out of it.

And cutting off someones WoW account wont make a difference. Someone who has intentions of harming someone or molesting a child will just visit the local playground, or hop on Facebook, or Twitter, or walk around the block.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

The nuns are taking over. But these company's that have joined up aren't state maintained. It's the consumer who decides who should be in business, not any government. If you don't like it then vote with your wallets to make your opinion known.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

lol sex offenders.. in the Us if you look to some girls breasts you can be accused of beeing a sex offender.

Stupid people hehe.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR

Originally posted by EduardoASG

lol sex offenders.. in the Us if you look to some girls breasts you can be accused of beeing a sex offender.

Stupid POLITICIANS hehe.

Fixed that for you. That would be like me judging all of EU based on what the British Prime Minister decides should be law.