Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Long-term game or just another firecracker?

syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

The past few MMO releases I have experienced have not been positive.  Their popularity rises then falls faster than a firecracker's fuse.  For many games, players chew through content like a fat man eating french fries.  Any game that tries to slow things down is declared a grind-fest.  SWTOR was the latest firecracker I played.  Very few people seem to want to stick with it another month.  Aion was the opposite, with a lengthy grind to keep players from blazing past the beautiful world and variety of content. 

I miss the days of DAOC -- my first MMO.  I played that game for several months just to get my first level 50.  After that, I still made new characters and enjoyed the almost unlimited character specialization and RvR fights.  DAOC's expansions were icing on the cake when they released.  Most didn't like ToA, but I thought the concept was good.  I'm hoping TSW will have some sort of plan to keep me playing for years, then expand on their game.  However, what I have seen from their skill system seems like it could limit how far players can advance.  It could be too early to tell, though.

Do you think TSW will burn fast and explode into nothingness, or last a long time and keep most subscribers interested in what could come in the next patch and expansion? 

Comments

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I've been asking the same question the last two days trying to decide whether I want to pre-order or not. After researching the game, I've come to the conclusion that it's going to be just another "firecracker" on a list of many. There's just really no end game content that's different than what's available now. The concept looks good, the crafting has good potential, but from everything I've seen the game looks shallow and unfinished. 

And if you're looking for some kind of DAoC-ish end game, this game doesn't have it. I wish it did, believe me. It's just not there though.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I had a vision the other day, it was of TSW not living up to the expectations and crumbling down to nothing Matrix online style.  I dont know why just a thought that crossed my mind, given the trend of people not settling for the same old theme park instance mmo. 

I see this game going one of two ways, it going like I mentioned above or it being a sleeper hit sucess on a lower tone then other AAA mmos.  With a game like this there is no other way to slice it when you answer a question  such as the OP's, you have to be overly bold and brazen.

Nothing excites me more then TSW though, out of any game releasing this year.  In the back of my mind I kinda know how its going to play out after watching game footage, its looking heavily instanced which I dont like at all and your standard mmo fare when it comes to combat from what Iv seen but If I couldnt bare those things I wouldnt consider my self a huge mmorpg fan which I am. 

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Only time will tell. Hopefully it will turn out to have enough of a long term fan base to keep it profitable and on the map.

I cant see it being too mainstream with the theme and setting. Plus the masses are so used to themeparks by now that breaking out of that comfort zone wont sit well with some.

I for one will be giving it a good shot for at least 3-6 months. And if it turns out like I hope for much longer.

Will see soon enuff I guess.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Neither, this game is really bad, good concept REALLY poor execution and its not even close to being ready for release in June. I love AoC even in its unfinished state upon release but TSW is 10 times worse.

• GwahlurGwahlur Member UncommonPosts: 201

Originally posted by ariboersma

Neither, this game is really bad, good concept REALLY poor execution and its not even close to being ready for release in June. I love AoC even in its unfinished state upon release but TSW is 10 times worse.

Can you check tomorrow's lotto numbers while you're at it?

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145

People will try it, since the concept seems good on paper, but as for it being a long term game...dunno, I personally can't see it. For now it looks still unpolished but granted, I don't really know much about the endgame content and how exactly will the end game pvp go (crappy pvp=bye bye a lot of players).

But if they polish the game I'd be happy to call it home for quite some time, because I like the general idea of the game. Anyway, I'll play other stuff (Tera, GW2), TSW=fall back option ;)

P.S. Cash shop+sub=a big turn off too for a lot of people and a clear warning sign.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I think ThemePark MMORPGS are mostly "firecracker" type of games. Why? Because the devs. have to continually create content for a ThemePark to have longetivity and that will only happen, at an acceptable pace, if the game has enough subs to support that continual development costs.

So ThemePark MMOs either have to have enough content when released so to be able to have a sustained, large enough sub. base to allow for additional content to be added and then it needs to keep this sub. base for the content to keep being added.

Most ThemeParks either don't have enough initial content, so they lose a large chunk of subscribers in the first 4-6 months which in turn does not provide enough additional funds (additional to recouper the cost for creating the game) to develop significant new content. So what usually happens is that after 6-12 months, most ThemeParks, only have a skeleton crew to stay profitable but this also means that new content is released at a very slow pace.

AoC, WAR, CoX, CO, STO all either suffer from this or they have gone F2P to increase their profits to afford adding additional content. But to be honest I can't say that the F2P title conversions that I have seen has added that much content so even that wont help them in the long run.

Imo the answer to this problem is not to go F2P but develop an MMORPG where the players can create their own content, aka Sandbox. Unfourtunately that has proven not to be so popular so maybe the hybrid model which some upcoming MMORPGs are trying is the way forward because as it is right now, very few MMORPGs, are actually increasing or even sustaining their sub. base. Only one's I am aware of are WoW and Aion.

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145

Originally posted by Yamota

I think ThemePark MMORPGS are mostly "firecracker" type of games. Why? Because the devs. have to continually create content for a ThemePark to have longetivity and that will only happen, at an acceptable pace, if the game has enough subs to support that continual development costs.

So ThemePark MMOs either have to have enough content when released so to be able to have a sustained, large enough sub. base to allow for additional content to be added and then it needs to keep this sub. base for the content to keep being added.

Most ThemeParks either don't have enough initial content, so they lose a large chunk of subscribers in the first 4-6 months which in turn does not provide enough additional funds (additional to recouper the cost for creating the game) to develop significant new content. So what usually happens is that after 6-12 months, most ThemeParks, only have a skeleton crew to stay profitable but this also means that new content is released at a very slow pace.

AoC, WAR, CoX, CO, STO all either suffer from this or they have gone F2P to increase their profits to afford adding additional content. But to be honest I can't say that the F2P title conversions that I have seen has added that much content so even that wont help them in the long run.

Imo the answer to this problem is not to go F2P but develop an MMORPG where the players can create their own content, aka Sandbox. Unfourtunately that has proven not to be so popular so maybe the hybrid model which some upcoming MMORPGs are trying is the way forward because as it is right now, very few MMORPGs, are actually increasing or even sustaining their sub. base. Only one's I am aware of are WoW and Aion.

Well if the developers would put more thought in pvp I think it would be much easier to create content that is longer lasting. But on average they come up with 2 factions zerg fests or omg 2-3 battle grounds with meaningless grind. I'd rather not comment much on PvE since I'm not an avid PvE-er altho I usually do all the content. All in all, gear grind isn't everything if you can figure out other ways of keeping players happy (at which point MMOs mostly fail).

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

I hope it sticks around cause I love the setting, the three factions are interesting and the devs are doing some interesting things with the game.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Beowulfsam

Originally posted by Yamota

Well if the developers would put more thought in pvp I think it would be much easier to create content that is longer lasting. But on average they come up with 2 factions zerg fests or omg 2-3 battle grounds with meaningless grind. I'd rather not comment much on PvE since I'm not an avid PvE-er altho I usually do all the content. All in all, gear grind isn't everything if you can figure out other ways of keeping players happy (at which point MMOs mostly fail).

Problem is that ThemePark developers have the same mindset when they create PvP content, i.e. that they need to develop it rather than creating an environment where the players do. They either dont understand the concept of player created content or dont believe in it.

Originally posted by Gwahlur

This guy has an axe to grind with Funcom. And it very well may be a legit axe to grind. But just take a look at his post history lol, everything he says is biased for sure.

The game may be good or bad. I have no idea myself yet. But he just bashes Funcom and TSW every chance he gets. Which pretty much makes everything he says invalid in my book.

I know they pissed you off royally. But not everyone shares your views. Be negative all you like. But at least provide some factual basis for your claims, cause right now you are just downing something just for the sake of bashing.

I downed ToR in the past. But at least I had bought it, played it, and could at least back up what I said. it was more than " SWTOR sucks, Trust me". Which is all your bringing to the table.

Originally posted by jdnewell

This guy has an axe to grind with Funcom. And it very well may be a legit axe to grind. But just take a look at his post history lol, everything he says is biased for sure.

The game may be good or bad. I have no idea myself yet. But he just bashes Funcom and TSW every chance he gets. Which pretty much makes everything he says invalid in my book.

I know they pissed you off royally. But not everyone shares your views. Be negative all you like. But at least provide some factual basis for your claims, cause right now you are just downing something just for the sake of bashing.

I downed ToR in the past. But at least I had bought it, played it, and could at least back up what I said. it was more than " SWTOR sucks, Trust me". Which is all your bringing to the table.

you act like I haven't played TSW... which you are comepletely wrong about. Also if you truely looked at my post history you wouldn't have said what you did. I was a huge fan of AoC.. I built my damn comp for it! but just like many others I was let down by them releasing an incomplete game. Hell I even say in my post I loved AoC >.<. I also had really high hopes for TSW when I found out about it 2 yrs ago. I would rather save people money with my experience with the game.. but bottom line I can't even back up my claims because of NDA.. So you belive what you want.. I was unbiased when I first looked at the game, hell I was unbiased the 2nd and 3rd time and I came up with a completely unbiased opinion of the game that I hope will save some ppl some money.

>.< and how on earth is perhaps 10-12 posts about TSW of my 700+ posts bashing TSW every chance I get >.<

you act like I haven't played TSW... which you are comepletely wrong about. Also if you truely looked at my post history you wouldn't have said what you did. I was a huge fan of AoC.. I built my damn comp for it! but just like many others I was let down by them releasing an incomplete game. Hell I even say in my post I loved AoC >.<. I also had really high hopes for TSW when I found out about it 2 yrs ago. I would rather save people money with my experience with the game.. but bottom line I can't even back up my claims because of NDA.. So you belive what you want.. I was unbiased when I first looked at the game, hell I was unbiased the 2nd and 3rd time and I came up with a completely unbiased opinion of the game that I hope will save some ppl some money.

>.< and how on earth is perhaps 10-12 posts about TSW of my 700+ posts bashing TSW every chance I get >.<

I dont have to read every one of 700+ posts bro. I can just browse TSW forums and in every thread your bashing it. I dunno, maybe you have played it and are 100% correct. Me and others may be wasting our money. I will even give you there is a good chance TSW will be jacked up at launch just like AoC & AO before it.

I get that you dont like it, but the way you present your negative view of the game seems like you have a grudge against Funcom. I get that too, after AoC many people do still to this day.

IMO if you want people to take what you say a bit more serious and a dont want to seem like just another hater then present what your saying in a better manner.

Also realize that even if TSW does suck many people are willing to buy it and give it a shot just BECAUSE its not wow in space and at least is trying something new and different. I - for one- hope it launches is a great condition, but even if it does not will still play it and see if they can shape it up. Why? because at least these guys have the nut sack to make something new, pass or fail they have some great ideas. For that alone I am willing to pony up $60 bucks.

I dont have to read every one of 700+ posts bro. I can just browse TSW forums and in every thread your bashing it. I dunno, maybe you have played it and are 100% correct. Me and others may be wasting our money. I will even give you there is a good chance TSW will be jacked up at launch just like AoC & AO before it.

I get that you dont like it, but the way you present your negative view of the game seems like you have a grudge against Funcom. I get that too, after AoC many people do still to this day.

IMO if you want people to take what you say a bit more serious and a dont want to seem like just another hater then present what your saying in a better manner.

Also realize that even if TSW does suck many people are willing to buy it and give it a shot just BECAUSE its not wow in space and at least is trying something new and different. I - for one- hope it launches is a great condition, but even if it does not will still play it and see if they can shape it up. Why? because at least these guys have the nut sack to make something new, pass or fail they have some great ideas. For that alone I am willing to pony up $60 bucks.

I guess I am just too passionate about people wasting money when I have information that would prevent it. The game isn't all that different once you play it and the things that make it different end up making the game not fun. It have the same graphics as AoC and the questing is very ummmm normal? actually even less they tell you to go places but you have no idea why and they don't give you much information so you end up just following the marker to that location and then trying to puzzle out why you are there and what to do. Quests tend to update without you doing anything or knowing why they updated.. and I am not talking bugs.. this would make sense.. no this is like you walk into an area and all of a sudden you magically know something different and your quest objective is different even though nothing really happened. If you want something new try Tera or GW2. Tera has many flaws but its is probably the best looking game I have ever seen. Also i would say GW2 tried much more new stuff with a better combat, questing system and lack of tank/healer roles when compared to the usual MMOs. TSW is just the location and the lack of lvls but you sort of still lvl up... 

I will say it again.. it was a GREAT concept but they did a really poor job of executing it.

Fair enough =)

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

I played it a bit at PAX.  It's a suprisingly good game.   Combat feels good, graphics are really nice, it's fairly challenging, the voicacting and cutscreens are great, and the overall ambiance is outstanding.  It's an outstanding platform to build from,  it's unique, and the game will be a lot of fun while content is unexplored.  It also does things w/ questing that no other MMO really does (ie makes you think), which some people may really enjoy, and others might hate.

Having said that, the game seems to lack an ultimate direction.  I haven't been able to dig up anything that resembles and end-game.  And that would be perfectly fine if this was a sandbox, with sandboxy type tools... but it's not.  The PvP is halfbaked too, which I think is a damn shame for a 3 faction game thats prime for it.

I think it's going to be a great game for casuals/normal players who maybe put in 5-10 hours a week.  The type of people that really enjoy questing, exploring the world, absorbing the storylines; they are going to get a lot out of it.  I think the Hardcore and goal oriented gamers are going to end up bored and twiddling their thumbs awfully damn fast. while Funcom scrambles to give them something to do.

The thing I've noticed as a general trend, is that if a game offers a lifetime sub... it is almost always lacking content to keep you engaged for a extended length of time.  

Originally posted by Draemos

I played it a bit at PAX.  It's a suprisingly good game.   Combat feels good, graphics are really nice, it's fairly challenging, the voicacting and cutscreens are great, and the overall ambiance is outstanding.  It's an outstanding platform to build from,  it's unique, and the game will be a lot of fun while content is unexplored.  It also does things w/ questing that no other MMO really does (ie makes you think), which some people may really enjoy, and others might hate.

Having said that, the game seems to lack an ultimate direction.  I haven't been able to dig up anything that resembles and end-game.  And that would be perfectly fine if this was a sandbox, with sandboxy type tools... but it's not.  The PvP is halfbaked too, which I think is a damn shame for a 3 faction game thats prime for it.

I think it's going to be a great game for casuals/normal players who maybe put in 5-10 hours a week.  The type of people that really enjoy questing, exploring the world, absorbing the storylines; they are going to get a lot out of it.  I think the Hardcore and goal oriented gamers are going to end up bored and twiddling their thumbs awfully damn fast. while Funcom scrambles to give them something to do.

The thing I've noticed as a general trend, is that if a game offers a lifetime sub... it is almost always lacking content to keep you engaged for a extended length of time.  

Thanks for posting that =)

I have been hoping some of the folks who got to play at PAX would chime in. What you describe ( minus the PvP part ) seems to fit me perfectly. Long gone are my days of Hardcore 16 hours a day MMO marathons. Being almost 40 with job and family responsibilities this sounds like it will be a good fit for me.

Hopefully they can flesh out the PvP some. But I am buying GW2 more for the PvP and TSW for the PvE and setting. As far asthe LTS offer goes I think I will be passing on that most likely. Never have bought one before and while I have thought about it for TSW I think a 3-6 month sub might be a better option.

Thanks again =)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I guess I am just too passionate about people wasting money when I have information that would prevent it. The game isn't all that different once you play it and the things that make it different end up making the game not fun. It have the same graphics as AoC and the questing is very ummmm normal? actually even less they tell you to go places but you have no idea why and they don't give you much information so you end up just following the marker to that location and then trying to puzzle out why you are there and what to do. Quests tend to update without you doing anything or knowing why they updated.. and I am not talking bugs.. this would make sense.. no this is like you walk into an area and all of a sudden you magically know something different and your quest objective is different even though nothing really happened. If you want something new try Tera or GW2. Tera has many flaws but its is probably the best looking game I have ever seen. Also i would say GW2 tried much more new stuff with a better combat, questing system and lack of tank/healer roles when compared to the usual MMOs. TSW is just the location and the lack of lvls but you sort of still lvl up... 

I will say it again.. it was a GREAT concept but they did a really poor job of executing it.

I find it funny that a guy that promotes Tera as "something new" disses TSW which is trying tons of things new.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I have been hoping some of the folks who got to play at PAX would chime in. What you describe seems to fit me perfectly. Long gone are my days of Hardcore 16 hours a day MMO marathons.

This is me...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Funcom's history is to try to make a firecracker. Only the firecracker is a dud and doesn't go off. They then pick up that firecracker and they turn it into more of a torch that gives off a lesser amount of light but for a lnger time. Probelm is, everyone's already left the show upset they didn't get what they came for.

• flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92

Firecracker. 

• badgerAlumbadgerAlum Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by bigsmiff

I have been hoping some of the folks who got to play at PAX would chime in. What you describe seems to fit me perfectly. Long gone are my days of Hardcore 16 hours a day MMO marathons.

This is me...

Me as well, which is exactly why I'm excited about it.  And which is why I will continue to play SWTOR.  End game is boring, I agree.  But playing casual, it's a whole lot of story content that will keep me busy for a long time.  The other thing that is really drawing me in is the fact that it's going to be a little bit complex, which is why I think a game like EVE has a much more interesting, and less childish playerbase.  Usually ;)

As for the original quote, I can think of one game that had a lifetime sub and had pretty good content - LOTRO.  Of course, they may be the only game I can think of that has succeeded with a free to play transition.  I still sometimes feel the pull to go back to Middle Earth.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by badgerAlum

As for the original quote, I can think of one game that had a lifetime sub and had pretty good content - LOTRO.  Of course, they may be the only game I can think of that has succeeded with a free to play transition.  I still sometimes feel the pull to go back to Middle Earth.

It does now, half a decade later. When it was released, there wasn't much to do at end-game.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Originally posted by syntax42I miss the days of DAOC -- my first MMO. 

Almost everyone says that. To me it's a feeling you can never get back. It's not that the games are worse, it's just that the first blows your mind, then wears on it. The following one's continue the wear.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I like the premise, but I won't be playing it.  I don't really know enough about the game itself though to judge whether it'll last or not.