Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why such strong feelings about SWTOR?

This game has way many more threads than you would think for a mediocre game launched back in December.

I went to the original Star Wars movie when it launched in the summer of 1977. Star Wars has been a part of our culture for 35 years. That's a long time  in relation to pop culture and media. 

In my opinion, this IP goes beyond Lucas Arts and EA's legal rights to it, in the public mind at least, if not legally. It has become a part of the popular culture.  A lot of people don't like what's been done to it and how it's been exploited. So people are responding to SWTOR as something beyond the genre of mmorpgs.

If this was just a shoddy game issue, people would be done with it by now and move on to other games to talk about. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Why do you think people are responding so strongly to SWTOR, either positively or negatively? How do you feel about the way Lucas Arts and EA have dealt with this IP?

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Most people feel that SWTOR took their childhood dreams and wiped their ass with it. The hate usually comes from something not being up to their standard. people followed and got very excited about this game and when they got in they realized it wasnt that ground breaking at all. Quite the opposate really. My hate for the game is done which is why i havent been attacking it much lately. however if you start going though the posts on the forums you will noticed that attention is being shifted away from SWTOR hate and towards GW2 hate. Those who strongly support GW2 are suddenly on the defencive, same as SWTOR does. This is called the Path of a MMORPG. Haters VS Fanboys + People who enjoy the game but dont hit Fanboy levels. happens every time. nothing to be worried about.

in the end it comes down to, if you enjoy the game play it. dont stop because a bunch of people on a forum tell you to. Playing by their example will only hurt you later.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

2 million sales on a mediocre game = a lot of complaints / negativity

2 million sales on a good game = less comments as people too busy playing

That is why SWTOR has loads of threads for a mediocre game

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

I think it has more to do with Bioware arrogance and hype during development. This backlashes.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by LadyNoh

Most people feel that SWTOR took their childhood dreams and wiped their ass with it. The hate usually comes from something not being up to their standard. people followed and got very excited about this game and when they got in they realized it wasnt that ground breaking at all. Quite the opposate really. My hate for the game is done which is why i havent been attacking it much lately. however if you start going though the posts on the forums you will noticed that attention is being shifted away from SWTOR hate and towards GW2 hate. Those who strongly support GW2 are suddenly on the defencive, same as SWTOR does. This is called the Path of a MMORPG. Haters VS Fanboys + People who enjoy the game but dont hit Fanboy levels. happens every time. nothing to be worried about.

in the end it comes down to, if you enjoy the game play it. dont stop because a bunch of people on a forum tell you to. Playing by their example will only hurt you later.

Sounds about right to me, though the game did live up to my expectations.

There is some extra butt-hurt over the fact that the game does use an extremely popular IP, and so long as its alive, there will be no other serious SW MMO.  So if you don't like this one, there will be no more living in the SW universe for you...

So I can understand some of the frustration, having watched Star Trek, Champions, and soon Neverwinter Nights be developed into games that are often "meh", at best.  Folks who wanted to "live" in these IP's are doomed to a less than stellar experience, or none at all.

But, as I've said many times, why many make a career out of bashing it or any other game instead of just accepting that it's not for them and moving on, finding something they WOULD like, continues to elude me.

• CrackboneCrackbone Member Posts: 212

Largest Development Cost + Star Wars + Bioware CGI trailers and hype, and here we are. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ok, I have to admit, I have strong feelings about SWTOR, negative one, and more than with any other MMO.

I have been a Star Wars fan for 25 years or so, so for me living in a Star Wars persistent online world was a dream since I was a kid. Now with the Bioware super stories and 100-300 million Dollars involved I expected it to be THE UBER MMO! And by all we know about MMOs and what works and what doesn't by all means it SHOULD have been the uber MMO. I like SWG a lot, it was the way best time I ever had in a MMO, and even though I liked a general themepark approach now, the fact SWTOR took NOTHING, not a single thing from SWG, and didn't make a themepark/sandbox mix, but the purest themepark ever, which even makes WOW look like a sandbox, angers me to no end. We have so much experience with MMOs in 2012, we know so many things, so many possible ways to make a MMO cool, and Bioware learned from NONE of them.

All these things make me considerably more angry about SWTOR and Bioware than any other game.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    When a major studio takes a fantastic IP, 200m dollars and 5 years to produce something so un-star wars-y, so badly implemented, so mediocre and quite frankly so unambitious then the answer to the question does it deserve the hate is YES.
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

This game has way many more threads than you would think for a mediocre game launched back in December.

I went to the original Star Wars movie when it launched in the summer of 1977. Star Wars has been a part of our culture for 35 years. That's a long time  in relation to pop culture and media. 

In my opinion, this IP goes beyond Lucas Arts and EA's legal rights to it, in the public mind at least, if not legally. It has become a part of the popular culture.  A lot of people don't like what's been done to it and how it's been exploited. So people are responding to SWTOR as something beyond the genre of mmorpgs.

If this was just a shoddy game issue, people would be done with it by now and move on to other games to talk about. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Why do you think people are responding so strongly to SWTOR, either positively or negatively? How do you feel about the way Lucas Arts and EA have dealt with this IP?

About the same as I did at the end of the film "Old Yeller."

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

People wanted an mmorpg made about Star Wars for Star Wars fans, not a WOW clone that looks sort of  like Star Wars but is made to attract Everquest Fans, not Star Wars fans. Now if they had made a game Called Everquest 3 and said you will be able to dungeon hop and get leet gear, there will be auction houses in town and mailboxes everywhere and large 100 foot raid bosses, those fans would probably get exited. BUT when on the SWTOR forums a few years ago they said you will get to kill 100 foot raid bosses and there will be mail boxes and you will be able to run around town and jump a lot, oh and its gear grind based so no making your own lightsaber because were throwing lore out the window so large raiding guilds From Everquest will be happy, your welcome. Yeh when they decided to do that, they sealed this games fate. Also STAR wars, and no space exploration or combat, great idea geniuses. Thats like having a fantasy mmorpg without Swords.

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    Its just another exploited ip, sure I'm a fan of the ip, I am a fan of warhammer fant and 40k. Ea and thq a couple of mediocre company's. They do get stuff out that's good but very seldom. I love reckoning and enjoyed darksiders.
    Bottom line to answer op, people have parts of their lives influenced by star wars and don't like it's current iteration. Ea/bioware exploited the ip.

Sic Luceat Lux

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Some of it is the fact that it's a very popular game.  Haters will have you believe that it is dying a slow death.  It is not.  It's very popular, but appeals to more of a casual themepark and newer MMO player.  This does not sit well with the community on mmorpg.com, because many of the players here are MMO hipsters and snobs.  Old school MMOers who believe that UO and Everquest, not World of Warcraft, are the pinnacle of the genre. 

Some of it is Electronic Arts, which doesn't have a great reputation amongst gamers.  

Some of it is themepark model taken to an extreme.  This angers the folks who like more freedom in their games.

Some of it is the IP itself.  Many folks felt Bioware should have taken the huge budget they had and made something truly revolutionary in order to live up to the Star Wars name.  So many folks feel it was a lost opportunity, and are angry at Bioware/EA for taking the "safe" road instead of taking risks, even if it means less subscriptions as a result.

And then, of course, some of it is just malicious hating.  I don't like the game that you like, so that makes you wrong.  Therefore, I'll need to spend precious moments of my day trashing the game that you play in order to remind you how wrong you are.  This kind of thing happens with every game.  But games like WoW and TOR get it the worst because of all the other factors I listed--popularity being a big part of that. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Robsolf

There is some extra butt-hurt over the fact that the game does use an extremely popular IP, and so long as its alive, there will be no other serious SW MMO.  So if you don't like this one, there will be no more living in the SW universe for you...

So I can understand some of the frustration, having watched Star Trek, Champions, and soon Neverwinter Nights be developed into games that are often "meh", at best.  Folks who wanted to "live" in these IP's are doomed to a less than stellar experience, or none at all.

But, as I've said many times, why many make a career out of bashing it or any other game instead of just accepting that it's not for them and moving on, finding something they WOULD like, continues to elude me.

You can't forget the butt-sore swgers who will never grow up and just move on from their NGE hatred and who are putting on swtor.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

I think lots of bad choices have been made with Star Wars over the last 15 years in movies, tv and games. Also some good ones, but  a lot of bad ones. 

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

My response to SWTOR was about the same as to STO: both of these IP's were favorites since they came out. In both cases, the game made from the IP was not true to the IP. In Star Trek, diplomacy, not fighting, was the main activity. STO is totally focused on fighting, a direct opposite of the true IP.

SWTOR to me is also opposite of the true IP.  The tragedy is that while STO and SWTOR are active, no decent games will be made for those IP's. It was obvious in STO's case that the developers were not up to the job, and did it on the cheap.

But for SWTOR, they didn't do it on the cheap. The developers are from one of the last best studios. The IP was cherished for generations. And the game is still mediocre.

Like an inert gas, these games are not poisonous, they are not total losses. But, like an inert gas, they displace the oxygen you need to live, they occupy positions that prevent really good games from being made from that IP. Not poisonous, but still fatal.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

everyone hates a copy cat, nothing original at all and why wouldnt everyone hate it.......

only difference is the name swtor vs wow

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The saddest part of SWTOR, in my opinion, is that the MMO rights to this IP are tied up in what amounts to a single player (coop at best) game instead of a true MMORPG.    I'm over the fact that the game sucks.  Now I just wish the IP wasn't locked down for the next 5+ years so someone else can take a crack at it.

I think this may very well be the last Star Wars MMO though.  I grew up with it and love it as much as anyone else does, but the fact is that these generations coming up now don't care much about it.  At least not like we do.  If Lucas didn't suck, he could have gave it more legs with really good prequals, but all we got were mediocre prequels with stale characters at best.

Right now the closest thing there is to a modern day Star Wars intellectual property would be Harry Potter, and I don't know of any plans to make that an MMO.  James Cameron thought he was making the next "Star Wars" in spirit with Avatar, but times have change.  The world isn't as much about massively shared media experiences like we had as kids in the 70's and 80's.  It's now about niche markets and smaller cultural group experiences.  Blockbusters here and there, sure.  Cultural movie icons that persist for decades?  I doubt it will ever happen again.

This is the same reason there will never be another huge band like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles or any other older iconic bands.  Niche is where it's at and I don't see that changing unless the world collapses and we revert to a pre-technology state again.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

This does not sit well with the community on mmorpg.com, because many of the players here are MMO hipsters and snobs. 

If the mmorpg.com community is so appalling to you, why do you want to be part of it (us)? Hypocrisy much...

I haven't got past the fact that this game would've been awesome if BW had followed the SW:Jedi Academy instead of WoW in gameplay. They could've made it APB+Tera+KOTOR, but because their focus was on money they took too safe road and dribbled to a pebble (pebble being uninnovative bugridden mountain).

I hope this try dies out fast enough for the next contender to step up and give SW universe a chance.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Pelaaja

This does not sit well with the community on mmorpg.com, because many of the players here are MMO hipsters and snobs. 

If the mmorpg.com community is so appalling to you, why do you want to be part of it (us)? Hypocrisy much...

I haven't got past the fact that this game would've been awesome if BW had followed the SW:Jedi Academy instead of WoW in gameplay. They could've made it APB+Tera+KOTOR, but because their focus was on money they took too safe road and dribbled to a pebble (pebble being uninnovative bugridden mountain).

I hope this try dies out fast enough for the next contender to step up and give SW universe a chance.

If being an MMO hipster and snob is thinking you are better than SWTOR then I am guilty and happy.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Would of been awesome IMO.

I looked at jedi academy combat videos, looks like engaging gameplay.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Jedi Academy meets kotor for leveling / pve

starwars themed planetside for pvp

Xwing vs TieFighter for space pve/pvp

SWG for RP & crafting

Awesome

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

It's the perfect target for all ten sandbox MMO fans to take out their rage.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Jedi Academy meets kotor for leveling / pve  $70 for two melded games

starwars themed planetside for pvp    $50

Xwing vs TieFighter for space pve/pvp  $50

SWG for RP & crafting   $50

Awesome=  $220+ $15 /month to maintain servers.  No wait... for all that... $25/month.

We accept credit cards.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

It's the perfect target for all ten sandbox MMO fans to take out their rage.

Oh come on now, there are more than 10 sandbox fans . . . 15 at least.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by ShakyMo

If this game is so appalling to you, why do you still feel the need to comment on it every chance you get?  Hypocrisy much?  

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by Robsolf

You can't forget the butt-sore swgers who will never grow up and just move on from their NGE hatred and who are putting on swtor.

lol NGE hatred projected onto TOR. I'm sure that's it.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011