Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else went out on a limb to support Funcom through Lifetime?

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Originally posted by ABRaquel

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Originally posted by cyress8

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by Mercantor

Except that GW2's cash shop will have much more "power" and "semi-power" items in the shop. They will have XP potions, prestige potions, weapons, armor, everything. And they're still going to come out with two "expansions" a year. So in essence, it's a P2W that has a box cost and a poorly hidden sub cost.

Actually no, they will not have prestige potions, weapons, armor, everything. They will have XP potions, crafting potions and costumes, character slots and maybe bank slots. Soundsa familiar? That's right pretty much the same thing that TSW will have.

Now listen, I understand that you're a TSW fan. That's you thing and I have no issues with that but if you're going to make an acusation against something, you need to actually know what you're talking about, otherwise you completely devalue your whole argument.

Have you played the original Guild Wars? If you expect the GW2 cash shop to be any different, I think you need a course in economics.

I actually have played the original Guild Wars and I know exactly what's in the cash shop. Care to point out the prestige potions, weapons and armor that are in the GW's cash shop?

They are going all out with the CS in GW2. They've stated that it doesn't matter what they put in the cash shop because everyone can get their access to these items without paying (through the ingame gold-gem trading system). GW2 will have an extremely intruisive cash shop, while TSW will have mainly cosmetic items (outfits) and other "nice to have" items (???). The good thing about GW2 is that these items won't effect strutured pvp (except for currency boosts). PvE/WvWvW will be rather P2W however.

Both of the companies and both games are trying to milk out the most money out of the gamers. While GW2 is cheaper to buy/play, it's cash shop requires heavy investing, TSW is more expensive to play (monthly) but requires very little to no investment in the CS. Sure you can play GW2 without spending a dime but it will be extremely painful, mainly because of the very limited inventory space.

In the end with buying GW2 for 60$ gives you a crippled and unbalanced experience which you can even out with spending more money on the CS.

While TSW 60$ + Monthly(10-14$) gives you the optimal and balanced experience with minor improvements from the CS.

The major difference is that GW2 is designed around CS. TSW is designed around monthly payment with extra from CS.

They are not going "all out" with their CS as is evident by them not going "all out" with GW1's cash shop. Not to mention the numerous inteviews and blog posts describing exactly what to expect from the cash shop. Hell, it's evident by the fact that any person who pre-purchased GW2 can actually log into to the cash shop and view its contents.

The sheer amount of misinformation on your post is staggering. I find it absolutely ridiculous how a person can be so uninformed and yet speak with such conviction. Are you deliberately trying to spread misinformation or do you really not know? Either way, I'm not going to get into what's wrong with your post. It would take too long and frankly this isn't the place to discuss GW2 nor ANet's cash shop philosophy. Needless to say, all of this information is freely available online so if you ever decide to start speaking from an informed position, it takes just 5 minutes on Google.

I've spent a lot more time on GW2 than you. The shear referance to GW1 CS is so wrong it's not even funny.

Times have changed since GW1 and so have the ideas behind the CS.

Let's just wait for the launch of GW2 and you'll see :>

Going to test you real quick, GoldenArrow,  what picture is on the congratulations email you recieved?  Just a quick description of it.

If you cannot answer that.  During the beta what exactly was on your screen to help mitgate leaked pictures?  This one should be easy since you played extensively. 

You can pm the answers if you want.  Just want to see if you are legit.

https://beta.guildwars2.com/account/done

The client is watermarked with your account so any picture/clip recorded is going to burn you :J

"Thank you for participating!

Hey everybody,

Thank you for your help with this stress test. We have got everything we need from this test to move forward. Rest assured, your participation has helped been invaluable to us.

The forums are now closed for posting. The test will remain up and running until 1900 PDT/0200 GMT/0300 BST/0400 CEST.

Thank you for your participation. We will hopefully see you all again during the upcoming Beta Weekend Event."

Not going to go in detail since things can still change before the BWE.

There was no cash shop available at yesterday's Stress Test, nice try though.

Those who played the press betas and the first closed beta had access to the Stress Test, mate.

I'm quite sure the CS won't be in the BWE's either ;)

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by pierth

Love the double standards in this thread:

Buying a LTS for TSW? You lose your way to voice dissatisfaction!

Pre-purchase GW2? You're supporting the company!

Cash shop in TSW? Must be pay to win!

Cash shop in GW2? Anet would never put in something giving an unfair advantage!

GW2 LTS? $60

TSW LTS? $250

Stay hypocritical, fanboys.

Fixed it for you.

Originally posted by ABRaquel

Except that GW2's cash shop will have much more "power" and "semi-power" items in the shop. They will have XP potions, prestige potions, weapons, armor, everything. And they're still going to come out with two "expansions" a year. So in essence, it's a P2W that has a box cost and a poorly hidden sub cost.

Actually no, they will not have prestige potions, weapons, armor, everything. They will have XP potions, crafting potions and costumes, character slots and maybe bank slots. Soundsa familiar? That's right pretty much the same thing that TSW will have.

Now listen, I understand that you're a TSW fan. That's you thing and I have no issues with that but if you're going to make an acusation against something, you need to actually know what you're talking about, otherwise you completely devalue your whole argument.

Have you played the original Guild Wars? If you expect the GW2 cash shop to be any different, I think you need a course in economics.

I actually have played the original Guild Wars and I know exactly what's in the cash shop. Care to point out the prestige potions, weapons and armor that are in the GW's cash shop?

They are going all out with the CS in GW2. They've stated that it doesn't matter what they put in the cash shop because everyone can get their access to these items without paying (through the ingame gold-gem trading system). GW2 will have an extremely intruisive cash shop, while TSW will have mainly cosmetic items (outfits) and other "nice to have" items (???). The good thing about GW2 is that these items won't effect strutured pvp (except for currency boosts). PvE/WvWvW will be rather P2W however.

Both of the companies and both games are trying to milk out the most money out of the gamers. While GW2 is cheaper to buy/play, it's cash shop requires heavy investing, TSW is more expensive to play (monthly) but requires very little to no investment in the CS. Sure you can play GW2 without spending a dime but it will be extremely painful, mainly because of the very limited inventory space.

In the end with buying GW2 for 60$ gives you a crippled and unbalanced experience which you can even out with spending more money on the CS.

While TSW 60$ + Monthly(10-14$) gives you the optimal and balanced experience with minor improvements from the CS.

The major difference is that GW2 is designed around CS. TSW is designed around monthly payment with extra from CS.

They are not going "all out" with their CS as is evident by them not going "all out" with GW1's cash shop. Not to mention the numerous inteviews and blog posts describing exactly what to expect from the cash shop. Hell, it's evident by the fact that any person who pre-purchased GW2 can actually log into to the cash shop and view its contents.

The sheer amount of misinformation on your post is staggering. I find it absolutely ridiculous how a person can be so uninformed and yet speak with such conviction. Are you deliberately trying to spread misinformation or do you really not know? Either way, I'm not going to get into what's wrong with your post. It would take too long and frankly this isn't the place to discuss GW2 nor ANet's cash shop philosophy. Needless to say, all of this information is freely available online so if you ever decide to start speaking from an informed position, it takes just 5 minutes on Google.

I've spent a lot more time on GW2 than you. The shear referance to GW1 CS is so wrong it's not even funny.

Times have changed since GW1 and so have the ideas behind the CS.

Let's just wait for the launch of GW2 and you'll see :>

Going to test you real quick, GoldenArrow,  what picture is on the congratulations email you recieved?  Just a quick description of it.

If you cannot answer that.  During the beta what exactly was on your screen to help mitgate leaked pictures?  This one should be easy since you played extensively. 

You can pm the answers if you want.  Just want to see if you are legit.

https://beta.guildwars2.com/account/done

The client is watermarked with your account so any picture/clip recorded is going to burn you :J

"Thank you for participating!

Hey everybody,

Thank you for your help with this stress test. We have got everything we need from this test to move forward. Rest assured, your participation has helped been invaluable to us.

The forums are now closed for posting. The test will remain up and running until 1900 PDT/0200 GMT/0300 BST/0400 CEST.

Thank you for your participation. We will hopefully see you all again during the upcoming Beta Weekend Event."

Not going to go in detail since things can still change before the BWE.

There was no cash shop available at yesterday's Stress Test, nice try though.

Those who played the press betas and the first closed beta had access to the Stress Test, mate.

So did most of those who pre-purchased, mate. The people who pre-purchased and created/linked an account also had access to the actual cash shop for a little while.

GW2 LTS? $60

TSW LTS? $250

Fixed it for you.

Dream on :J

GW2 LTS? $60

TSW LTS? $250

Fixed it for you.

GW2 has no subscription fees. So the box price is basically a lifetime subscription. :)

GW2 LTS? $60

TSW LTS? $250

Fixed it for you.

GW2 has no subscription fees. So the box price is basically a lifetime subscription. :)

Except you need to buy expansions for full box price every now and then and considering you will either need to use the CS or torture yourself.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Price doesn't change the hypocrisy whatsoever. Nice red herring, though.

GW2 LTS? $60

TSW LTS? $250

Fixed it for you.

Except you need to buy expansions for full box price every now and then and considering you will either need to use the CS or torture yourself.

You'll need to buy expansions for TSW also. So that's $250 + $50 for each expansion?

And please stop with that CS nonsense. You're not fooling anyone. People know exactly what's in the cash shop and the only torture is not having the hat.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

So is that you admitting that you're breaking the NDA? Just curious.

And if you were in the beta, and saw the beta cash shop which may or may not be the release cash shop, how do you accurately compare it to the TSW cash shop if that has not been seen yet or leaked. Are you also claiming that you were in that beta and therefore "in the know"?

If you google "Guild wars 2 cash shop reddit" and do an image search, you can see what was leaked from the last beta. Which item(s) specifically make people dependent upon using the cash shop regularly. Is it the hat? The cooks outfit? The dye pack? The 10% for an hour crafting boost? The extra character slot? Which thing do I need so I can avoid "torturing myself" as you claim? Aren't these the kinds of things we can expect from TSW?

And finally, how does the state of the GW2 cash shop influence whether or not TSW will be a good game and stand on its own merits? Do you think that by knocking GW2 you make TSW a better game? I don't get it. Again, I want TSW to succeed, the more choice i have in enjoyable games the better. But cripes, can't they both be good and appeal to slightly different audiences?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Price doesn't change the hypocrisy whatsoever. Nice red herring, though.

Agreed absolutely. I just think that it's a bit more reasonable for a $60 game to have a cash shop than a $50 + $15 monthly sub or $200 lifetime game to have a similar cash shop.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Nethriil

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by Paradigm68

A. No, its Funcom. that is not a nitpick. The difference between what they propose and what they deliver is enough of a reason. So even if I like the game, I'm certainly not going to vote with my money until I see what they've got.

B. Offering players an opportunity to spend less money than they would IF THEY ENJOYED THE GAME doesn't fill me with confidence. The track record of MMO's that have offered lifetime subs before launch supports this.

I pretty much agree with this post.

FC has a history. It's a 2 way history. Yes, they have made some good games. But I have said this before, and I'll say it again. Anarchy Online being a great game has been in spite of Funcom not because of Funcom.  They have created some decent games, but they have never launched a successful game. To me, they have much to prove before I would ever give them a dime site unseen

I may be wrong about htis, but AFAIK, LOTRO was the only successful game that offered LTS. Even now, that doesn't really benefit LOTRO. And at the same time, those who did purchase LTS, got kinda screwed. No where near every other LTS subscriber from every other game that offered them. Also, from a business, perspective, I can't imagine why a company would do this if there wasn't something wrong. Either Funcom is short on cash or they know the game is no where near ready. If the game is good, you offer a year out, but LTS? How does LTS benefit Funcom when they could just as easily offered multi month subs. They must really be trying to pull in some cash. Something isn't ringing true here and I don't trust it.

Well this is a business and as such funcom of course wants to show results for their investors. And your Logic seems flawed as its obvious a minority of gamers that buy lts and they ll need to please the 99% others as they need that player base month to month. + u can buy lts after launch if u want. Well maybe they are just stealing our money and on the next flight to Barbados. /sigh

What does being on a flight to Barbados have to do with it?

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

GW2 LTS? $60

TSW LTS? $250

Fixed it for you.

You tell us the exact name of the item that users need to purchase from the cash shop. Name just one item that will universally be considered mandatory.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

And if you were in the beta, and saw the beta cash shop which may or may not be the release cash shop, how do you accurately compare it to the TSW cash shop if that has not been seen yet or leaked. Are you also claiming that you were in that beta and therefore "in the know"?

And even if all the above is true, how does the state of the GW2 cash shop influence whether or not TSW will be a good game and stand on its own merits? Do you think that by knocking GW2 you make TSW a better game? I don't get it. I mean cripes, can't they both be good and appeal to slightly different audiences?

I never signed a NDA so it's impossible for me to break one.

I have seen the CS in the beta. I have a lot of insider information about the game aswell.

Even though I'm not under any NDA the game itself is under NDA and thus I'm respecting Anet's wishes of not sharing any detailed information about it.

Why GW2's CS will be a lot more intruisive is the attitude and the statement's from the developers that count.

- They've said QUOTE: "It doesn't matter what's in the CS because everyone can access the items without paying through the gold-gem exchange."

- The game doesn't have monthly payments, they CAN and WILL pull off a lot more intruisive CS.

- The game has very limited inventory space which can be only majorly increased through the CS.

This has all been leaked to the interwebz and can be found from clips aswell as screenshots.

TSW on the other hand

- They've said QUOTE: "The cash shop will have mainly cosmetical items (outifts) and other nice to have items.

- The game has monthly payment as their primary source of income. They don't need an intruisive CS.

If TSW actually had B2P + P2P + Intruisive CS people would run away from the game before Funcom had the chance to say "Will be changed in patch...."

I would also like to add that neither of the games have yet launched.

Funcom can pull another failcom.

GW2 might not have an intruisive CS.

People are pre-ordering TSW without knowing.

People are pre-ordering GW2 without knowing.

We can debate about this for ages if we wish.

But we really have to wait for games to launch.

I only know how the systems are at the moment, not how they are at release.

At the moment it _seems_ both are equally money grabbing in different forms.

Which is worse? I dunno!

And even if all the above is true, how does the state of the GW2 cash shop influence whether or not TSW will be a good game and stand on its own merits? Do you think that by knocking GW2 you make TSW a better game? I don't get it. I mean cripes, can't they both be good and appeal to slightly different audiences?

Why GW2's CS will be a lot more intruisive is the attitude and the statement's from the developers that count.

- They've said QUOTE: "It doesn't matter what's in the CS because everyone can access the items without paying through the gold-gem exchange."

- The game doesn't have monthly payments, they CAN and WILL pull off a lot more intruisive CS.

- The game has very limited inventory space which can be only majorly increased through the CS.

This has all been leaked to the interwebz and can be found from clips aswell as screenshots.

TSW on the other hand

- They've said QUOTE: "The cash shop will have mainly cosmetical items (outifts) and other nice to have items.

- The game has monthly payment as their primary source of income. They don't need an intruisive CS.

If TSW actually had B2P + P2P + Intruisive CS people would run away from the game before Funcom had the chance to say "Will be changed in patch...."

The first part is nothing but wild speculation. You've read/heard a few quotes and you interpreted them to fit your argument. Something that I will do in the next paragraph to show you how silly you're being. =)

Funcom has stated that TSW will have mainly cosmetic items and other nice to have items.

"Nice to have items" is such a broad term that Funcom can pretty much put anything they want in there. More bag space, XP potions, faster skill point gain potions, in-game currency, pets that give you buffs, better weapons and armor... The beauty of it is that anything can be a "nice to have item." It's not mandatory for you to have that [ +5 AK-47 of Zombie Slaying ] but you can buy it in the cash shop because it would be nice to have it.

TSW on the other hand

The first part is nothing but wild speculation. You've read/heard a few quotes and you interpreted them to fit your argument. Something that I will do in the next paragraph to show you how silly you're being. =)

Funcom has stated that TSW will have mainly cosmetic items and other nice to have items.

"Nice to have items" is such a broad term that Funcom can pretty much put anything they want in there. More bag space, XP potions, faster skill point gain potions, in-game currency, pets that give you buffs, better weapons and armor... The beauty of it is that anything can be a "nice to have item." It's not mandatory for you to have that [ +5 AK-47 of Zombie Slaying ] but you can buy it in the cash shop because it would be nice to have it.

Trapped you with that one.

They also said CS will not sell power. Your +5 AK is power. :>

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

Although TSW is new, looks new, I will never forget how they treated their customers in that AoC bullshit. A company that cannot respect customers deserves not my capital. To me, they're like EA now. Hope for those who are still willing to give it a shot that they aren't let down!

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Which is worse? I dunno!

I think this is the first unbiased post that I've read from you on the matter. And I agree with your above statement, though on a PERSONAL level, I feel better about buying say, a hat in a game where I don't pay as sub.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by neobahamut20

Although TSW is new, looks new, I will never forget how they treated their customers in that AoC bullshit. A company that cannot respect customers deserves not my capital. To me, they're like EA now. Hope for those who are still willing to give it a shot that they aren't let down!

Yup AoC shebang was horrible and now they are co-publishing with EA.

I still have faith, I love their games.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Regardless of what is in the cash shop it all boils down to the consumer......IF we, the consumer, buy things from any cash shop then they are going to keep selling it......No one forces you to spend a dime in the cash shop and 99.9% of the time I dont even know what the cash shop has to offer.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

So, if you played the press beta, what exactly was on the screen during the whole beta that helped mitigate screen leaks. Answer that, then I can say you truly were in the beta.

BOOYAKA!

TSW on the other hand

Trapped you with that one.

They also said CS will not sell power. Your +5 AK is power. :>

I was using it as an example to show how broad "nice to have items" are. Virtually anything can be a nice to have item.

See the thing is that we pretty much know what type of items GW2 will have in its cash shop. We've seen the leaks and some of us saw the cash shop with our own eyes.

When it comes to TSW, all we have is speculation because while we know what outfits are, we all have a different interpretation of "nice to have items."

Which is worse? I dunno!

I think this is the first unbiased post that I've read from you on the matter. And I agree with your above statement, though on a PERSONAL level, I feel better about buying say, a hat in a game where I don't pay as sub.

You could say that CS is a lesser evil since you can choose what to buy and when you spend money you instantly receive something. Monthly subscriptions don't actually give you anything else than access to the game.

My only point here was the GW2 and A.Net are no saints either. They are in it to win it aswell.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by neobahamut20

Yup AoC shebang was horrible and now they are co-publishing with EA.

I still have faith, I love their games.

Yeah EA and Funcom. 2 companies with a sterling reputation for how to treat customers.

So, if you played the press beta, what exactly was on the screen during the whole beta that helped mitigate screen leaks. Answer that, then I can say you truly were in the beta.

You mean the watermarked account name on the client?

Well that's general knowledge and doesn't prove anything :j