Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was it just misinformation?

Comments

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by Distopia

Yes that's what you do when you want to keep a discussion on track on a specific thing, and it still didn't work. People need to move past "everything is a dig at gw2" it might make discussion an actual possibility around here.

Well, I guess this discussion is concluded then. Yes, there are NPCs in GW2 that don't move. It can be hard to spot them between all those that do, but they are definitely there :)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by evilastro

The video showcased what I was talking about actually so yeah /thread.. Most NPC's were stationary with one or two at most 4 -5 or so moving on screen at a time.

The point here isn't to point out a flaw in GW2 it's to point out a flaw in old arguments. The flaw is the thought that GW2 would be different than any other MMo and the limitations that will inevitably be there consdering the medium. MMO's will not have truly scheduled NPCs until the tech allows it. It doesn't..

People can go on and on about GW2 has more ambience, I never said it didn't I actually agreed with a person who said it does. That wasn't the point I was bringing up. But of course since it was viewed as a negative for another game, everyone see's red and all logic goes out the window.

I highlighted the important part. You saw a guy running past NPCs and saw that only 4-5 were moving at a time. Did he hang around and see if the ones standing around would move on after a while? No?

See the problem is that you are stating that they dont move, when you have only watched them for a short period. Like I said earlier, pretty much every NPC moves and does other tasks if you watch them long enough. The only exception were merchants and vendors (for obvious convenience), although some merchants will contribute to defending outposts if they are attacked.

I talk about what I see, not what I can't, where are you getting this information from that they "all" move? Like I said if there was something I'm missing point it out, as in show it..

At least we're somewhat on topic now.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Naqaj

Yes that's what you do when you want to keep a discussion on track on a specific thing, and it still didn't work. People need to move past "everything is a dig at gw2" it might make discussion an actual possibility around here.

Well, I guess this discussion is concluded then. Yes, there are NPCs in GW2 that don't move. It can be hard to spot them between all those that do, but they are definitely there :)

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/6264/Guild-Wars-2-The-Black-Citadel-Video-Preview.html

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by MindTrigger

I'm still waiting for the OP to arrive at a coherent point.  I'm not sure if he was under the impression that every NPC in the game was going to be moving around the game world at all times, or if he's just a hater try-hard.  

I don't remember ever reading, hearing or seeing anything that tried to say every single creature and npc in the game would be walking around.  Frankly, that would be *LESS* realistic, since people do, um, stand once in a while.  So what exactly is the point?  The video clearly shows that city in GW2 has more NPC movement and activity than SWTOR did over the entire sum total of game map.  That's not even getting into the night and day difference in sounds and general ambiance/atmosphere.

What part of my point isn't coherent? I'd be more than happy to explain what you don't undertstand?

Well, you were proven completely wrong, yet you are still arguing your original point which was that SWTOR and GW2 have the same NPC activity in cities.  If you can show me *one* SWTOR video out of the thousands on YouTube that can compare to the DR video, I'd love to see it.

I know it's easy for you to call everyone fanboys just because we are excited about the game. Guess what, I had hoped TOR was going to rock too, but it didn't.  I called it like I saw it, and I will do so for GW2 as well, if it turns out to suck.  At least admit your were wrong, or post some REAL evidence not anecdotal evidence.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Some people dont know when they are beaten,takes a while to sink in.

ROFL, It's more an issue of people trying to move the goal posts when they can't argue against the actual point brought up.

Your question has been answered on many occasions in this thread but you are not happy.Seems to me you wont be satisfied until we all agree with you.Lets say that everyone in this thread agreed with you,what would you say then.Would it lead on to a discussion on why swtor was slated and why GW2 is not getting the same treatment,of course it would,thats what you want,right?.Pitty you are wrong though,i would enjoy reading your post.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/6264/Guild-Wars-2-The-Black-Citadel-Video-Preview.html

Those videos look about 2.5-6 times better than SWTOR when considering NPC movement and interaction within city areas.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Exactly, glad we're finally agreeing. Didn't see a single there one that didn't move. All those charr were swinging their tails, shaking their heads or waving their arms around. Not a single one forever frozen in time like those you see in TOR.

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

Were all these moving Charr npcs or players? Also, there is no ingame sound...

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by Exilor

I think missunderstand moveing with walking.

But i belive if you look hard enough you will find something that dont move.

Stil its way above what swtor offered, but to be fair no game befor has been as bad as swtor when it come to static world. swtor is uniq in that aspect

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Exactly, glad we're finally agreeing. Didn't see a single there one that didn't move. All those charr were swinging their tails, shaking their heads or waving their arms around. Not a single one forever frozen in time like those you see in TOR.

Umm nope. Npcs move in SWTOR too. If by moving you mean not actually walking around and just moving hands, heads whatever, yes NPC do that in SWTOR. You are just exaggerating things a little to much at this point.

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

Originally posted by Onomic

Stil its way above what swtor offered, but to be fair no game befor has been as bad as swtor when it come to static world. swtor is uniq in that aspect

Moving, walking, whatever. But there's no name or title above their heads to tell them apart from players is there?

Well, you were proven completely wrong, yet you are still arguing your original point which was that SWTOR and GW2 have the same NPC activity in cities.  If you can show me *one* SWTOR video out of the thousands on YouTube that can compare to the DR video, I'd love to see it.

I know it's easy for you to call everyone fanboys just because we are excited about the game. Guess what, I had hoped TOR was going to rock too, but it didn't.  I called it like I saw it, and I will do so for GW2 as well, if it turns out to suck.  At least admit your were wrong, or post some REAL evidence not anecdotal evidence.

That linked video showed exactly what I was talking about, so how was I "proven wrong"? The original post was to find out if there was something I'm missing in terms of NPC movement. The statue effect that is so "immersion breaking" for others on select games. Yet not an issue for another. Where did I call anyone a fanboy? Where did I talk about people's excitement? Where did I say I don't like GW2 and this is a problem for me? It's the nature of MMO's..

TOR has the same type of NPC movement, a few npcs walking the streets, the rest standing idle. Just like any other MMO, If I didn't quit in January I'd fraps it myself.

Some people dont know when they are beaten,takes a while to sink in.

ROFL, It's more an issue of people trying to move the goal posts when they can't argue against the actual point brought up.

Your question has been answered on many occasions in this thread but you are not happy.Seems to me you wont be satisfied until we all agree with you.Lets say that everyone in this thread agreed with you,what would you say then.Would it lead on to a discussion on why swtor was slated and why GW2 is not getting the same treatment,of course it would,thats what you want,right?.Pitty you are wrong though,i would enjoy reading your post.

Only a select few posters even discussed what I brought up, the rest keep going on about overall ambience. Which is not in question.

Originally posted by Onomic

Moving, walking, whatever. But there's no name or title above their heads to tell them apart from players is there?

It doesn't matter anyway.  No one ever expected GW2 to have all of the NPC's walking around.  It wouldn't even make sense if they did.

I have been one of the people complaining from day one that the game world, NPCs, sounds and everything else that creates atmosphere in MMO games was about as dry, static and boring as possible in TOR.  Countless others made the same observation and posted about it.  The OP chose to pick one little peice of those arguments, the NPCs, and attempted to draw a line between the two games to falsely show that they suffer the same problems.  They don't.

Will there be places where more NPCs are standing around than moving in GW2?  Yup, I'm sure there will be.  Does this mean the overall activity and ambience in GW2 is even remotely as lame as SWTOR?  Nope.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Most NPC's in TOR move their hands, nod their heads, do body emotes, work on things , etc..

Most NPC's in TOR move their hands, nod their heads, do body emotes, work on things , etc..

video?

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

What do you imagine NPCs should be doing in an MMO city?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

video?

Go to youtube I'm sure you'll find plenty..

ROFl,  this is actually perfect considering the title of the VID.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=SWTOR+world&view=detail&mid=74A0E044D1F986FF94C174A0E044D1F986FF94C1&first=41

Originally posted by Charlizzard

What do you imagine NPCs should be doing in an MMO city?

Exactly what they're doing.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

You'll need to help people out I'm afraid... link some cities that are more alive feeling, more active and dynamic feeling than Divinities Reach. You must have plenty about.

Keep in mind too that the vids we have from the GW2 beta are with relatively sparcely populated betas, where most of the people are out experiencing the world soaking up all they can. The population you see in the SWTOR vids... that's as good as it's ever going to be. So yeah... find us some lively, populated cities that really spring to life! That'll show everyone.

Brb... popcorn...

Oderint, dum metuant.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

After watching the city preview videos, I have to question something that was said a lot during the TOR WARS, many tried comparing GW2 to TOR cities saying there were too many static bystanders just standing around in TOR, and GW2 would be different. I'm not seeing it, looks roughly the same, a handful of moving NPCs with most just standing around. Is there something I am missing?

(Lets discuss the question and not discuss me please)..

weird considering every exploration video i've seen on GW2 was definitely not like that AT ALL. They talk to one another (VO's without clicking on the people and without watching a long drawn out scene locking you into an zoomed in video conference giving you clues about events around you is also the other thing GW2 does right) The npc's are always doing something. The only thing ever that i've seen standing around in GW2 videos are the elementals in the city. Weird that they have elementals there. 

I played TOR for a little bit to see just what the fuss was about and to find out if my suspicions about the game. I discovered (even after the first two patches) that they did in fact freeze npc's in place in perpetual actions, that never moved, were not interactible and didn't offer quests.  

here's a great example of GW2 Divinity's Reach city npc's

The Black Citadel's NPC's and sounds

you can clearly see npc's moving around, talking, and when npc's talk ambiently when you are walking by and you hear their conversation, it's a clue as to other objectives or lore information.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Haha nevermind! Saw above :D

Originally posted by evilastro

video?

Go to youtube I'm sure you'll find plenty..

Couldnt find any. Could you find some for us? Not from cutscenes or dungeons, cheers.

This is quite comical actually because of the issue I"m talking about with the complaints and considering the video title, it's a decent showcase for my point.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=SWTOR+world&view=detail&mid=74A0E044D1F986FF94C174A0E044D1F986FF94C1&first=41

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Grotar89

GW2 has city chatter it makes cities feel alive,  in TOR its dead silence. I dont even consider TOR MMO its instanced singleplayer  with MMO elements and is gonna end up like WAR soon.

To everyone who claims something like this, you did not play TOR.

We can all tell, those of us who did, because the NPC's often wouldn't even shut up, there were SO MANY NPC's having random conversations in their cities.

Its rather sad people have to lie about things to get their point across.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by itgrowls

here's a great example of GW2 city npc's

I see a lot of NPC's standing around, one or two walking around like they do in WoW.

What am I suposed to see?