Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else still waiting for that "something special" before they buy in?

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

We all have different levels of "grind tolerance" and one of the big factors IMO is what you are grinding for.

Grinding for something you really want isn't viewed commonly as grinding, it's viewed as working towards something you want lol

All about motivation and perception, which can be directly influenced by design choices the dev's make.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by drakaena

Global Chat?

That's funny.  The first thing most of us casuals do is turn that Chat option off so we don't have to listen to "1337" kids spamming their conformity demands and attention whoring.  Why EXACTLY would you have it on if your biggest concern things "being too convenient"?  Do you just not have any will power and control over your own personal principles?  ....sounds like something you could start seeing a Counseler about IMO. (there's usually free programs if you qualify financially).

It's really simple and I can't believe people are missing the point. What have MMO'ers griped about for years... FLYING MOUNTS! Why? Because they destroy open world immersion. Well... having the ability to literally port everywhere from anywhere is 100x worse when it comes to open world.

"Teleports" are a Gold Sink now.  We can't just hop from point to point looking for undiscovered events without taxing our gold reserves.

People will camp cities, using their chat to keep tabs on the ongoings of the world, and when something of interest comes up, BAM! they are there. When it's done... BAM! they are gone. No traversing the open world. 

So?  Are they forcing YOU do it?  If they all get a Karma bonus for jumping off a cliff, does that mean the only option for you is to jump off it with them?

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I'm not waiting for 'something special' about GW2, I played the demo at eurogamer and I found that something special then, my wait is over.

Fun has been mentioned a lot of times in this thread and as a gamer it's something I look for, that fun includes challenge, interesting mechanics, an explorable world, progression and a solid lore, great aesthetics are a bonus. The GW2 demo was a fun and fluid experience, it felt fresh while remaining accessible, if the rest of the game follows through that's special enough for me. If you're not convinced by what the marketing, fanboys and press reports so far says then all I can recommend is you wait and play it yourself.

• SemibruceleeSemibrucelee Member Posts: 52

I was originally a fanboy, trying to get all my friends in the bandwagon and ultimately, as I saw more footage, the more I realized this is not the perfect. For one, I feel the skill-capped is low and there's too much aoe. But I didn't play the game. Nonetheless, I'm still buying it, and for me the best part is : no montly fee. I can comfortably play 1-2 hours a day, with my friends, without having to be at their levels.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Global Chat?

It's really simple and I can't believe people are missing the point. What have MMO'ers griped about for years... FLYING MOUNTS! Why? Because they destroy open world immersion. Well... having the ability to literally port everywhere from anywhere is 100x worse when it comes to open world. 

Using your example. Some event is happening in the open world. I would read about it from other players in chat. Zip-zap I'm there. Why would anyone ever be in the open world other than to level? Honestly... Look at other games that implement fast travel. Do they have a thriving world? Or do people camp major hubs and use chat to group up... it's not rocket science. 

People will camp cities, using their chat to keep tabs on the ongoings of the world, and when something of interest comes up, BAM! they are there. When it's done... BAM! they are gone. No traversing the open world. 

There are several differences between GW2 and other games and I believe they're the keys to why people shouldn't be put off by the fast travel system.

With GW2 you have to run to each waypoint before it's unlocked.  GW1 is a true lobby game but to me it still feels enormous because you need to run to all the different outposts at least once.  The thing about flying mounts is that they let you completely bypass everything, often at super speed.  With GW2, you can go to whatever furthest waypoint you've been to immediately, but then you still have to venture out on foot.

With GW2 there's no endgame which makes all the content before it obsolete.  With a game like WoW, you sit in cities because the open world has no attraction, and when you do get a dungeon group you just port or fly there.  With GW2, every open world event and every dungeon is viable, challenging and rewarding content because of the way the game automatically scales you down. 

You also don't need to group up for the open world content.  You can wander around, meet people and travel together because the game passively rewards players for doing that.  You don't have to hang out in the most convenient place to find a group before you can start playing.

With GW2, there's an emphasis on replayability due to multiple personal story paths (need to play 30x just to see all the level 1-10 content).  They've also said they will be adding new events without announcing them to the open world continuously right from launch.  If you do go to revisit zones, you might see new content due to new events or events simply being in a different state due to pass/fail.

GW2 also has an emphasis on exploration.  The entrance to this cave is unfortunately not in this video, but it's a hidden cave underwater in the middle of nowhere.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYj2QMEPRT0  There's also plenty of easter eggs back to GW1.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PadRrf8F9qQ  These are the kinds of things which are going to get people wandering around.  Even if they end up on the internet in guides, people still have to go find them and who knows what DEs they'll stumble across doing so.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I think people just need to have a realistic idea of what exactly GW2 is. I don't really even consider it a MMORPG. It's more of a CORPG. It's basically a lobby game. Where I think GW2 will succeed is that they offer many different gameplay styles that are easily accessible. DE's, Dungeon Crawls (with various difficulty settings), E-Sport PvP, and owPvP. All these features seem well done, but none in and of themselves are revolutionary. GW2 is a jack of many trades but master of none. It looks like a lot of fun though, and that's all that matters. 

GW1 is a CORPG.  GW2 is an MMORPG proper.  Since you obviously don't think that, I would like to know your reasoning.  Pray do tell.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by just1opinion

I think people just need to have a realistic idea of what exactly GW2 is. I don't really even consider it a MMORPG. It's more of a CORPG. It's basically a lobby game. Where I think GW2 will succeed is that they offer many different gameplay styles that are easily accessible. DE's, Dungeon Crawls (with various difficulty settings), E-Sport PvP, and owPvP. All these features seem well done, but none in and of themselves are revolutionary. GW2 is a jack of many trades but master of none. It looks like a lot of fun though, and that's all that matters. 

GW1 is a CORPG.  GW2 is an MMORPG proper.  Since you obviously don't think that, I would like to know your reasoning.  Pray do tell.

indeed...GW2 is atleast as much of a MMO as say WoW...and at this point in MMO history it is silly to claim it is not a MMO

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Lobby game? Maybe we have different definitions of what this is. When I think of a lobby game, I think of standing in Org and cueing for a raid, for a dungeon, for (in upcoming Pandaria) their so-called "dynamic events", their pokemon battles, PvP, their Harvest Moon farm personal instance. So in essence the game client is a large chat room, with smaller chat rooms (e.g. guilds) to group with people. If people like this kind of thing then great.

GW2 demands of people that they go out into the world and participate in it. Yes, there is fast travel between points once they've been unlocked, but there is a great advantage in walking to point Y from point X. Maybe they'll implement LFG IDK. I believe that the only thing you "cue" for is their PvP, but once in PvP you are faced with a vast, 3 team multi-resourced challenge that also has PvE elements (NPCs that you can do quests for to get them on your side).

So I am curious as to what part you see as being "lobby-esque".

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• Vore_TechzVore_Techz Member Posts: 122

I honestly can't see the game not being worth $60 if the WvWvW PvP alone is done well. Anything else would just be butter on the sliced bread. lol

(>^_^)> MMO Veteran <(^_^<)
    Currently Playing: Tera Online

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by Vore_Techz

I honestly can't see the game not being worth $60 if the WvWvW PvP alone is done well. Anything else would just be butter on the sliced bread. lol

Yeah I agree.  All the people who are haters of GW2 should ask themselves 1 question.  "Have I spent 60 dollars much much worse?"  Well if you've bought anything from Capcom recently in the last couple years, than yep, you certainly have.  60 dollars with no monthly fee for a game this amazingly good...is a freaking steal.  All arguments about it's MMORPG qualities aside.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Originally posted by slicknslim88

Originally posted by Vore_Techz

Yeah I agree.  All the people who are haters of GW2 should ask themselves 1 question.  "Have I spent 60 dollars much much worse?"  Well if you've bought anything from Capcom recently in the last couple years, than yep, you certainly have.  60 dollars with no monthly fee for a game this amazingly good...is a freaking steal.  All arguments about it's MMORPG qualities aside.

Couldn't agree more there is no reason not to buy the game even though I plan on playing Tera mainly since there is no monthly fee for GW2 it's a no brainer.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

This game has plenty of something specials... I'm sold.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by DannyGlover
    I'll buy in when its 20 bucks. That's a special enough price tag to take the plunge :)
    It will never be $20.00 so you'll be waiting for a very long time.

I bought GW1 new for $14.99. Why would it be any different with this game?

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Yeah I guess I fall into your categories somewhat, there are just certain characteristics of some MMORPG's that GW2 is discarding that I'm having a hard time accepting.

One, I like playing group centric, dedicated healers, we know those aren't part of it.  I really love PVP/PVE with consequences, for me it is as important to make sure you don't lose as it is to have a chance of winning. (more like real life I guess).

I also prefer PVP with objectives, primarily territory and resource control/denial and I'm not seeing much of that in GW2 so far.

Finally, I am stuck on the carrot.  No, I don't like gear treadmills, but I do think character power progression should be ever increasing, with no cap on total power (though there should be diminishing returns so that reaching the "top" rarely ever happens for most normal players)

Again, I don't see GW2 going in that direction, so with all of that I'm still on the fence.  Sure, like you all said, its a single 60.00 purchase, so I'm sure I'll find myself giving it a try at some point, perhaps even down the road after a few expansions happen.  I only played GW1 right after launch, didn't really like it but always wondered if I had tried it in the latter years if I would have enjoyed it more.

Of course, depending on how MMO's launch this year, I might find myself gameless and I'm certain I'll grab a copy and give it a shot then.

And you're absolutely right on all of that... except for one thing... The PvP with objectives. Have you checked out the World vs World PvP at all? Massive, three servers all competing against each other for control of four huge maps, including keeps, towers, forts, supply points, etc. Odds are this won't be enough to change your mind on it, but if you haven't seen some of the videos on WvW they're worth a look... it sounds exactly like what you're looking for in PvP. But, that's only one aspect. If it's not your cup of chowder there are other interesting titles looking to come out soon as well, one certainly should feel comfortable.

Actually, this is the one thing that still has me interested but.....

Why do I want to control these?  In EVE your alliance controlled space for the resources it provided, it was your home and you defended it to the death, is it the same way here, I'm not so sure. 

Also, as far as rewards, in DAOC, we fought for the keeps in order to gain access/control of a special dungeon called Darkness Falls, again, I know GW2 provides benefits to holding certain things, but I haven't read all the details on what those might be or if I would really care.

Still, the WvWvW is my one real interest right now, and we'll have to see how it goes.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jamielikesyojamielikesyo Member Posts: 36

I'm so in I just ordered 2 CE's and a standard edition from ... Gamestop. 

Here's hoping they don't blow my order, particularially as I live in Canada (prays to the Customs Gods.) 

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

I don't think there's gonna be anything "special" revealed from this point on.  I think the game looks pretty solid and plan to buy on the 10th.  No game is perfect, no matter the genre, but the pro's of this game seem to outweigh any con's.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

If you havent seen anything that apeals to you then that's fine, maybe Anet is unable to meet your expectations. That stands for everyone accross the board though because lets face it; you can't please everyone.

With that said, I don't think that "One thing" you're holding out for will come and I kind of hope it doesnt. The reason I say that is because games that give you that "One thing" often times become stale really fast. Once you've experienced that one thing over and over again it starts aging faster than milk sitting on the kitchen counter. 

Just like Aion had the flying aspect, I was SO excited and so was everyone else, however, after doing it over and over and experiencing the abyss over and over it became appearent IMO that NCsoft used these things as a crutch and now Aion has fallen in the backdrop, at least on my list of games.

You can keep all that "candy" stuff, I don't want it. Instead, I will be just fine with the new concepts GW2 introduce to us. I think it's more inovation than inspiration from the stand point that they haven't really created a new "omgosh I can do this really neat thing that no game has ever done". I am so glad that's not the case, it's not the mmorpg with the latest "thing" that wins in the end, it's the one that can give you so much that it out-lasts all the others. Will GW2 do this? I don't know and no one does atm, but I bet they will come darn near close to success in that respect.

/em Tosses two cents at you.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I'm waiting for that something special:  April 10th!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Originally posted by Scripture1

If you havent seen anything that apeals to you then that's fine, maybe Anet is unable to meet your expectations. That stands for everyone accross the board though because lets face it; you can't please everyone.

With that said, I don't think that "One thing" you're holding out for will come and I kind of hope it doesnt. The reason I say that is because games that give you that "One thing" often times become stale really fast. Once you've experienced that one thing over and over again it starts aging faster than milk sitting on the kitchen counter. 

Just like Aion had the flying aspect, I was SO excited and so was everyone else, however, after doing it over and over and experiencing the abyss over and over it became appearent IMO that NCsoft used these things as a crutch and now Aion has fallen in the backdrop, at least on my list of games.

You can keep all that "candy" stuff, I don't want it. Instead, I will be just fine with the new concepts GW2 introduce to us. I think it's more inovation than inspiration from the stand point that they haven't really created a new "omgosh I can do this really neat thing that no game has ever done". I am so glad that's not the case, it's not the mmorpg with the latest "thing" that wins in the end, it's the one that can give you so much that it out-lasts all the others. Will GW2 do this? I don't know and no one does atm, but I bet they will come darn near close to success in that respect.

Ok I can't sit by any longer. The game doesn't have a launch date, most of the people are not even in the CBT, and we know that most companies make false promises about thier game and when launch day comes it isn't the game we thought it was.

I think it will be a great game but there is nothing out that tells me to buy this game until we start getting 30day money back on our purchase like every other items sold in this country. I don't believe any of the hype, the devs, or seen any videos actually worth anything.

You should wait until launch before you spend money on a game non of us know anything about since it can be something completely different at launch.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Originally posted by Scripture1

Ok I can't sit by any longer. The game doesn't have a launch date, most of the people are not even in the CBT, and we know that most companies make false promises about thier game and when launch day comes it isn't the game we thought it was.

I think it will be a great game but there is nothing out that tells me to buy this game until we start getting 30day money back on our purchase like every other items sold in this country. I don't believe any of the hype, the devs, or seen any videos actually worth anything.

You should wait until launch before you spend money on a game non of us know anything about since it can be something completely different at launch.

ohh, dont worry. The Beta floodgates will open soon enough.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

The launch date, after careful consideration. 

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

Skeptical or not, I've never played even a semi-decent MMO that I haven't got my money's worth from, so no hesitation to purchase here (Probably because it takes me a large amount of hours before I decide I hate it or am sick of it). I'm a man of simple tastes, so WvW is probably that "something special" for me.

Truth- I'll be picking this up day one for the simple reason that I love a fresh MMO. I love the scent of noobs in the air, the lack of elitist scum, questions being asked and answered, game boundaries being tested, friendships being forged, eternal enemies being made and a community that yearns to grow and flourish before a generally inevitable decline into dogshit. Ahh, even gives me the tingles now.

• aurak1aurak1 Member UncommonPosts: 18

People fail to realize that this is a huge step up from GW which had a very large player base so for those fans this will make this game great for the people that have never played GW you might have to get use to playing this style of game and stop trying  to compare it to any other game you have played because it is not.

If you are able to lvl every single character to max lvl within 3 mos period and do every open world event then you need a new hobby people try to always rush thru the game and then yes they become bored and tired so they leave and I always say that is a person that was not going to be there for the long haul anyways because no game is going to keep them satisfied because no game is going to keep content rolling out that fast.

I myself am pleased with what I have seen so far because I know what the game is coming from, If I wait for something special to happen in any MMO I might as well stop playing them all together because that something special normally will be a big let down and then get discouraged and stop playing.

If the game as a whole looks like it will be very interesting I rather go with that then just wait for one thing people seem to expect miracles if a game developer tries to go with the majority and fail they get so much rants and disgust, if they try a new concept it is either a win or fail.

I say if you dont want to play dont but dont try and discourage others from enjoying it, go back to what you where content with if anything. People are not afraid of spening the money for a game they actually want to play I spent $80 for SWTOR and after 3mos stopped playing it because lack of people but I wanted to try it out I don't feel it was worth that much after playing it but was my choice so buy don't buy may be awhile before it goes down for the prices you stated you bought GW for that has been out for years.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Irish

Skeptical or not, I've never played even a semi-decent MMO that I haven't got my money's worth from, so no hesitation to purchase here (Probably because it takes me a large amount of hours before I decide I hate it or am sick of it). I'm a man of simple tastes, so WvW is probably that "something special" for me.

Truth- I'll be picking this up day one for the simple reason that I love a fresh MMO. I love the scent of noobs in the air, the lack of elitist scum, questions being asked and answered, game boundaries being tested, friendships being forged, eternal enemies being made and a community that yearns to grow and flourish before a generally inevitable decline into dogshit. Ahh, even gives me the tingles now.

That part in italics actually made me tear up.  *sniff sniff*  Thank you for that.  I feel the same way.  (I'm a girl, so crying when I'm touched by something is pretty common, but that paragraph....it was epic. :D)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Irish

That part in italics actually made me tear up.  *sniff sniff*  Thank you for that.  I feel the same way.  (I'm a girl, so crying when I'm touched by something is pretty common, but that paragraph....it was epic. :D)

MMO launches are so exciting and fun.

I really don't even consider myself duped by TOR because I enjoyed the hell out of it that first month or so.

The day a new game you've been waiting for is released and you finally load it up the first time... I love it.